6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Bike Rack

Any one out there have a bike rack on their Maxima ? If so what kind, and are there any suggestions you care to make reguarding brand?

Thanks!

Jay
Old 01-28-2005, 10:52 AM

If you find one can you post a pics?
I once seen a Maxima pulling a boat
Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I have this one here for when my kids go out to the park or so... it handles two bikes real nice without hitting the car itself.. (fyi I got two 20")... the paint of the car does not scratch or anything. try it out...

"graber outback" and "bell 2 bike" are around $40 @ www.****ssportinggoods.com

Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 AM

excellent!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eventually you will scratch up the car with the trunk style rack. Infact, any rack that you mount on your car will cause scratches. On a roof rack you risk dropping the fork onto your rook and really messing things up. I was considering a trailer hitch so that I can get a trailer mount bike rack. That is the only way to assure that you don't f'up the paint. It's a more expensive solution. Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax
Eventually you will scratch up the car with the trunk style rack. Infact, any rack that you mount on your car will cause scratches. On a roof rack you risk dropping the fork onto your rook and really messing things up. I was considering a trailer hitch so that I can get a trailer mount bike rack. That is the only way to assure that you don't f'up the paint. It's a more expensive solution. Hope this helps.
I respect that opinion. I had the rack on two cars so far with no scratches, trust me I'm **** when it comes to these accesories... the bottom part of the rack goes on the licence plate so don't worry bout scratches there. the top part goes dead center of the trunk which has two good pads. just clean the pads before you mount the rack so you are sure of no scratches. I keep the spot on the trunk that the top piece lays on clean also before mounting...................

I respect opinions and this is mine.............. 02
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 PM

i use a trunk mounted one and no scratches
Old 03-08-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I have this one here for when my kids go out to the park or so... it handles two bikes real nice without hitting the car itself.. (fyi I got two 20")... the paint of the car does not scratch or anything. try it out...

"graber outback" and "bell 2 bike" are around $40 @ www.****ssportinggoods.com

I was wondering about this to. If you can buy it at ****s for 40 you probably can find it elsewhere for less, I will keep my eyes open
Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 AM

I think it is Andymax95(??) that has a bike roof rack and it looks ok there too.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Smooth
I was wondering about this to. If you can buy it at ****s for 40 you probably can find it elsewhere for less, I will keep my eyes open
If you want a truck mounted rack, you can't beat Saris Bone series. I've had one for over a year, and it hasn't scratched the paint on my Mazda yet. However, the bikes did swing around and their pedals scratched my rear bumper a bit.

For my Nissan though, I'm going to get a roof mounted rack. Probably easier on the bike and a bit better fuel economy.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:10 PM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know about the mpg idea there! I see more vehicles with empty roof racks than empty trunk racks. I believe a roof rack is a bigger PITA to install/remove so people just leave them on and deal with the extra noise and drag. I think a trunk rack is easier to install/remove so is usually on the vehicle only when you are moving a bike.

I‘ve never used a bike rack on my max (gotta truck for that now), but have used and owned different trunk racks (Thule my favorite) and used two different Yakima roof racks that were installed on friends vehicles. Just my twenty cents.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dla
I don't know about the mpg idea there! I see more vehicles with empty roof racks than empty trunk racks. I believe a roof rack is a bigger PITA to install/remove so people just leave them on and deal with the extra noise and drag. I think a trunk rack is easier to install/remove so is usually on the vehicle only when you are moving a bike.

I‘ve never used a bike rack on my max (gotta truck for that now), but have used and owned different trunk racks (Thule my favorite) and used two different Yakima roof racks that were installed on friends vehicles. Just my twenty cents.
I'm comparing to carrying a bike on a trunk rack and roof rack.

I can't make a direct comparsion, but my car w/ my bike and truck rack uses 10L/ 100 KM, where as without, it does 8.2L/100KM. Fairly signifancant difference.

Also, I really don't like how to wind is always pushing on the bike sideways when it's mounted on the rack.

Ming
Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 PM

I too am wondering what kind of experiences people have had with bike racks. I have always had a truck to just throw the bikes in. The Trunk mounted seem easy to use, more storable, cheaper, but dont seem as secure.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by wanaMax
I too am wondering what kind of experiences people have had with bike racks. I have always had a truck to just throw the bikes in. The Trunk mounted seem easy to use, more storable, cheaper, but dont seem as secure.
they are very secure, I take turns pretty hard with it carrying 2 bikes, and it holds very well...

way to bring one from the dead though..lol..
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Smooth
I bought mine from Target for $35.

I haven't used it yet.... I'll be using two 26" bikes, hoping I won't scratch up my car in any way.