6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Extended warranties

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Extended warranties

Much as I love my Max, I'm beginning to think about an extended warranty. I think you can buy one thru Nissan if the original, 36-36 warranty hasn't expired..is this correct? My dealership says that the only non-Nissan warranties they accept are Western Diversified and Security Plus. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies, or any other non-Nissan warranty plan? Input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes you can purchase the Nissan extended warranty prior to expiration of your normal warranty. I purchased and used the Nissan extended warranty plan for the last two Maximas I owned. The plan I had was the one in which you just pay $50 per visit, regardless of what it cost to fix the issue. I think it is call the Diamond plan. Used it about 5 times without any issues. It more than paid for itself. All you do is take the car to the dealer and they look-up the VIN number and it will automatically let them know you have the extended warranty. I have never used any third party extended warranty for any of my vehicles, so hopefully others can comment on their experiences using these warranties with their Nissan's.

Pedro
Old 02-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My advice to you is SHOP AROUND for your Nissan extended warranty. Call all of the dealerships in your area and tell them you are shopping for the best price on an extended warranty. I just bought my max and did NOT get the extended warranty at the dealership where I bought my car. Instead, I called about 6 dealerships and asked for a quote on a warranty. I told each person that I was calling all dealerships in the area and that the one with the lowest quote would win my business. I had quotes from $752 to $1300 (6/75,000 gold package). So, definitely SHOP AROUND!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:21 AM

Lobewiper, I purchased my Nissan used and also puchased the Major Gaurd (GMC) extended warranty with zero deductable. The warranty i have clearly states what is not covered, and at the time you take your vehicle to the dealer there is a number you give them to call (on your warranty card) and they explain the charge estimates to the warranty company. They in turn pay over the phone with a credit card (if the repairs are covered), or which ever method the dealer requires. I spoke to the Nissan dealers in my area about it, and none have a problem with it (hell they are getting paid one way or anohter). The difference is that instead of Nissan just doing the repairs and not charging you, they just have to contact a third party for payment.

I am pretty certain this is how it works, at least with a third party warranty. Pay attention to what is not covered though, and other options such lodging, rental, towing, and gas.

Originally Posted by lobewiper
Much as I love my Max, I'm beginning to think about an extended warranty. I think you can buy one thru Nissan if the original, 36-36 warranty hasn't expired..is this correct? My dealership says that the only non-Nissan warranties they accept are Western Diversified and Security Plus. Has anyone had experience with either of these companies, or any other non-Nissan warranty plan? Input would be much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:30 AM

Speaking of warranties, I have a 2001 Pathfinder (with VQ35DE) and I am having engine troubles. I have Nissan extended warranty, but was wondering if any of suspected parts (by folks from maxima.org) are covered under the extended warranty? I think some things mentioned were MAF, IAC solenoid, bad coilpacks, etc... My understanding is that "wear and tear" items are not covered but does anyone have a copy of the extended warranty that lists what is/isn't covered?

When I got my car I was simply told that the extended warranty coveres EVERYTHING that the normal warranty does, except longer. Right after my original warranty goes out, I go into ask about dead volume **** on the Bose, and they tell me, "oh, extended warranty doesn't cover radios".

Anyway, I am afraid of taking this car in because last time I took it in for "service engine soon" light, they said there were no codes and they charged me $225 for resetting the light!

I just contacted courtesynissan and was quated like $495 for a new MAF sensor... If this was covered under extended warranty, I'd probably sleep better than last night.

My wife and I think that if we bring the car in, and if the MAF isn't covered under ext-warranty, and even if it isn't the problem, they'll just replace it and charge us for it...

Speaking of MAF and IAC solenoid, does anyone know how to diagnose MAF failures and what/where is the IAC Solenoid and how does one diagnose one???

Thank you for any help, and as for the fellow who spoke about problems (sunroof, sturts, rust, etc), I had a '97 pathfinder that seemed lemon (too many things to list). The dealer service was really nice to me about it, and so I came back and traded it in for '01. The factory rep changed and he is really hard on them for doing things for free and that is why now they charge me $225 to plug in the CONSULT II computer and reset MIL lights...

Go talk to other dealers. I found that close dealers are visited by the same nissan factory rep, and as long as the factory rep for the dealer is the same, they will give you the same response, because it seems that Nissan factory rep's job is to make sure they deny much warranty work as possible.

Anyway, if anyone can help me with my problem, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again
Old 02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks to all for your responses and experiences. I am now in a much better position as a consumer!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:11 PM

From my experience i would ask the dealer if it is or is not covered, if they cannot tell you right away, because sometimes they really cannot before they diagnose for themselves, MAKE SURE that they understand not to perform any work on your vehicle before contacting you for approval. Besides you have to sign a form for them to work on your car. And to my knowledge and from all the times i have called and ask various stupid questions regarding my warranty just to be sure; the warranty covers most parts except normal items that wear (brakes,rotors...blah). But you will discover that when it is time to repair, there are parts that are not listed as uncovered, and is said they will not be covered (weird). One thing that i did was call dealerships in other states to see what they would tell me, and you will be surprised at the differences in stories i receive.

Originally Posted by Pyrophilus
Speaking of warranties, I have a 2001 Pathfinder (with VQ35DE) and I am having engine troubles. I have Nissan extended warranty, but was wondering if any of suspected parts (by folks from maxima.org) are covered under the extended warranty? I think some things mentioned were MAF, IAC solenoid, bad coilpacks, etc... My understanding is that "wear and tear" items are not covered but does anyone have a copy of the extended warranty that lists what is/isn't covered?

When I got my car I was simply told that the extended warranty coveres EVERYTHING that the normal warranty does, except longer. Right after my original warranty goes out, I go into ask about dead volume **** on the Bose, and they tell me, "oh, extended warranty doesn't cover radios".

Anyway, I am afraid of taking this car in because last time I took it in for "service engine soon" light, they said there were no codes and they charged me $225 for resetting the light!

I just contacted courtesynissan and was quated like $495 for a new MAF sensor... If this was covered under extended warranty, I'd probably sleep better than last night.

My wife and I think that if we bring the car in, and if the MAF isn't covered under ext-warranty, and even if it isn't the problem, they'll just replace it and charge us for it...

Speaking of MAF and IAC solenoid, does anyone know how to diagnose MAF failures and what/where is the IAC Solenoid and how does one diagnose one???

Thank you for any help, and as for the fellow who spoke about problems (sunroof, sturts, rust, etc), I had a '97 pathfinder that seemed lemon (too many things to list). The dealer service was really nice to me about it, and so I came back and traded it in for '01. The factory rep changed and he is really hard on them for doing things for free and that is why now they charge me $225 to plug in the CONSULT II computer and reset MIL lights...

Go talk to other dealers. I found that close dealers are visited by the same nissan factory rep, and as long as the factory rep for the dealer is the same, they will give you the same response, because it seems that Nissan factory rep's job is to make sure they deny much warranty work as possible.

Anyway, if anyone can help me with my problem, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again