6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question for 6sp owners....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:20 PM

Question for 6sp owners....

I test drove a 2005 6sp today and totally loved it. My question for you guys is how well has the clutch/shifter performed for you? I'm very interested in a short throw shifter, and would appreciate any feedback you have on both the stock and the short throw.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well lets see, if you like to hammer cars a bit and spin the wheels your not going to be very happy with a front wheel drive car, not to mention the wheel hop you get at times. I left the world of rear wheel drive, however it is a lux sedan so I guess I am asking for a bit much.
6-speed is ok, throws are long. I would think a good short throw will be out in time. There is something out on the market now but I am cautious and don't want to test it ;-)
As usually ripping 3rd to 4th is a blast. If I lived in the city I would be all over the auto in this car, performance is near the same as the 6spd...if your worried about the speed difference then I would say your buying the wrong car, get an STI or something simular.

My 2 cents
Old 02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Love the 6 speed. Wouldnt have it any other way. There is a short shift kit available. Look for it on a thread here somewhere.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:11 PM

Well,
I have the 6spd and I love it. As far as the shifts the only problems I have is the 1-2 shift when cold.

As far as performance being same as auto, I don't see it, gear ratios make a big diffrence. Also being a good manual driver helps lke myself.

But on the real MY AGE, MY BUDGET, MY FAMILY SIZE, MY WANTS AND NEEDS is why I went with the 6spd Maxima.

In the real life, everyday practical driving no road courses,no major donuts, no curvey or hilly roads, just stop light to stop light and some but very little hwy action, I am very pleased with my fwd. LOYALTY

Real drivers own 6spds.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:16 PM

There is a short shifter available from fastshift.com. They may have it on their website. Theres one member here with it and he loves it. I may get one in the future. Im waiting to see what SSRs looks like.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 PM

Thanks guys. I have to say that performance is not (or never) the same with an automatic vs. manual transmition. Gear ratios are everything, which is why you don't see Nascar's equipped with automatic transmition.

The automatic transmition in my 2001 (and this 2005) is fantastic, don't get me wrong. It's simply a personal preference. I'm just surprised at how many people avoid manual shifters now. I mean, the Maxima has so much power that unless the traffic is truly stopped (or at a snails pace) you can do anywhere from 30-75mph in third gear. That's not too much shifting if you ask me. Also, there's no substitute for the feeling you get when entering a REALLY LONG freeway onramp!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
SuPeRmOd

you should actually try the 5 sp auto on the 6th gen. So far the fastest times at the track were by autos... I know it's still not a "real stick" but the gears ratio is very close and "shifting" is very well engineered.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Yeah autos have the fastest track time but if your ever doing roll races they will fall behind. Racing from a roll isnt a true race but its still fun to do now and then.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:16 PM

I was the first one to get the short throw shifter for the 6th gen. I highly recommend it because not only does it shorten the throw, it also greatly reduces that notchy shift feel which is so common in the 6th gen. As for other aspects of the manual transmission, it took me a little time to get used to. My last manual was a 89 Honda Civic, so the power and torque was something to get used to.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Auto's have the fastest track times??? Hmmmmm???? I'd like to know who was behind the wheel of the 6sp....I've got some work associates who race at a fairly high level, and they all swear by manual transmitions, even for "family sedans."

Thing is, it's personal preference. I totally understand the appeal of auto's, which is why I own one. I guess for me, I like the control I have over the transmition with the 6sp as well as the way it looks. To me, auto transmition shifters have a way of making the sportiest interiors look like a station wagon. Just my opinion.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 PM

I feel the same way you do. I think to date I have the quickest 6 speed which ran 14.3@96.5 stock with a K&N panel filter. Dont expect to run anywhere close to that unless the weather is perfect. I know I havent came close since because of traction problems and weather conditions. I want the STS!!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by Glude
Yeah autos have the fastest track time but if your ever doing roll races they will fall behind. Racing from a roll isnt a true race but its still fun to do now and then.
well if you do the manual side to the auto tranny it will act like a manual and will reach high rpms like a manual would.. it evens takes off and accelerates real quick with it. I dunno how it will compare to an actual manual, but it works for me..... my 02
Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 PM

Yes but you cant rev launch which you can do with a 6 speed from a roll.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Yes but you cant rev launch which you can do with a 6 speed from a roll.
true..............
Old 02-03-2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG123
I have to say that performance is not (or never) the same with an automatic vs. manual transmition. . .the Maxima has so much power that unless the traffic is truly stopped (or at a snails pace) you can do anywhere from 30-75mph in third gear. That's not too much shifting if you ask me. Also, there's no substitute for the feeling you get when entering a REALLY LONG freeway onramp!
Exactly! With the VQ's low speed torque, I frequently pull 3rd gear after rounding a street corner at speeds below 30MPH, with no problems. And you don't need a long freeway onramp to hit it, I do on short ones too.

Finally check out these earlier comments from other threads on this site:

There's an earlier discussion of the short-throw shifter is on this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365329

Edit: see two notes down for the proper urls for these two other threads:

You should also check out the posts here:

Finally, you should also check out the comments by lightonthehill and me near the end of this thread about manual trannies vs the manual "mode" on the Max's auto trannie:
Old 02-03-2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
Exactly! With the VQ's low speed torque, I frequently pull 3rd gear after rounding a street corner at speeds below 30MPH, with no problems. And you don't need a long freeway onramp to hit it, I do on short ones too.

Finally check out these earlier comments from other threads on this site:

There's an earlier discussion of the short-throw shifter is on this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365329

You should also check out the posts here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...397#post3582397

Finally, you should also check out the comments by lightonthehill and me near the end of this thread about manual trannies vs the manual "mode" on the Max's auto trannie:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...397#post3582397

last two links no workie SILVERMAX................
Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
last two links no workie SILVERMAX................
Sorry about that. This site screwed up when I did a copy.

This thread should get you to the comments by "light" and me on AT vs MT (and will take you to the end of that thread, so you need to scroll up for all of it):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....4&goto=newpost

And this thread will take you to earlier comments on the 6-speed manual:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=370594
Old 02-03-2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyG123
Auto's have the fastest track times??? Hmmmmm???? I'd like to know who was behind the wheel of the 6sp....I've got some work associates who race at a fairly high level, and they all swear by manual transmitions, even for "family sedans."

Thing is, it's personal preference. I totally understand the appeal of auto's, which is why I own one. I guess for me, I like the control I have over the transmition with the 6sp as well as the way it looks. To me, auto transmition shifters have a way of making the sportiest interiors look like a station wagon. Just my opinion.

Yes Bobby, I also have some friends that race at a fairly high level. Like sub-10 second level in the quarter, they have automatics, and of course we are not talking about 6 cylinder Maximas they are driving ;-)
(one guy has a mustang with a chevy auto in it made by ArtCarr, funny mix, something to do with the way the overdrive works on a chevy compared to the for AOD)
In a road course, track, whatever a standard wins hands down. But if this is what you want I would say get out of the tank class the Maxima is in and eliminate that body roll.
I have the 6spd max, love to shift, but again if I lived in the city (like New York light to light) I would own an auto.
I completely agree with your statement about having control over the tranny with the 6sp, thats the fun part, holding your shifts in and out of corners or before you pass to use you RPM's at the fullest ;-)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 AM

You're right about where you live. I'm from WA State and live in an area where I'm rarely in the downtown Seattle traffic. I take the 55mph backroad highway, and from the time I leave my home until I arrive at my 1 hour (one way) commute, there are only 6 total stops along the way. Add in the twists and turns of the mountain foothills, and the manual is the only way to go.

Conversely, if I lived in a city or had to commute there daily, you're right. The auto would be the only way to go.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:53 PM

I live in Atlanta. It takes me over an hour to get to work. Driving a manual every day became such a pain, so I bought an auto max... 4-sp to make it worse. I know that I'm not getting all that I could out of the car, but it's worth the comfort. I still drive the manual on the weekends.