6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How Much Gas Left After Light Goes On

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:48 PM

How Much Gas Left After Light Goes On

I have no idea just curious what people drive after light goes on.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:27 AM

When the light goes on you have approx 4 gallons left give or take a little.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Look in the Owner's Manual.....I believe it says something about it in there....
Old 02-05-2005, 02:14 PM

I know as soon as my light first comes on I have between 4 and 4.5 gallons left. Usually I drive another 20 miles or so until filling up (when it's warm out).
Old 02-05-2005, 09:37 PM

But be very aware running out of gas in the 6th gen Maxima is not quite like running out of gas in a Reo or Pierce-Arrow.

For one thing, you just might have to replace the catylic converter (big bucks).

For another thing, you may do damage to your injectors. (big bucks).

For yet another thing, you may have to replace your fuel pump (the gas in the tank cools the pump, which is also in the tank).

For a final thing, suppose you let the fuel run down to two gallons or so, then either can't find a gas station, or happen to encounter a large area where, for whatever reason, the power is off so gas pumps are useless.

Unless in an unusual situation, I begin looking for gas as soon as the gas warning light comes on. If not sooner.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:54 PM
05WHTMAXISL

i heard its not good to have ur tank lower than 1/5 of the tank..so by means..not less than quarter of the gas meter....if you keep filling ur tank after 1/4 of gas meter is passed it makes your car wear out faster..less gas in tank makes them do more work in engine??i erally dont know but i heard this from various expensive car owners...not to jinx myself and due to just feeling wrong if my tank goes beneath 1/4 tankcuz i heard it from SOMEWHERE>>>... i fill it ASAP..dont wanna do anything thats bad for my baby MAXI..and i kinda think it does make a change if les gas and more gas..more gas makes car feel stronger..and less gas makes car whine??little bit??does anyone feel this?

Old 02-05-2005, 10:02 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by 05WHTMAXISL
i heard its not good to have ur tank lower than 1/5 of the tank..so by means..not less than quarter of the gas meter....if you keep filling ur tank after 1/4 of gas meter is passed it makes your car wear out faster..less gas in tank makes them do more work in engine??i erally dont know but i heard this from various expensive car owners...not to jinx myself and due to just feeling wrong if my tank goes beneath 1/4 tankcuz i heard it from SOMEWHERE>>>... i fill it ASAP..dont wanna do anything thats bad for my baby MAXI..and i kinda think it does make a change if les gas and more gas..more gas makes car feel stronger..and less gas makes car whine??little bit??does anyone feel this?
when it says E with light on, there is 1/5 a tank left = 4 gallons.

how about some of us read our manuals (not directed at any 1 person)... or even just fill her up when the light comes on. You should know we have 20 gallons. pump stops at 16.... must be a 4 gallon reserve!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:16 PM

Lightonthehill,

Once again you are the voice of reason! Yes people please don't make it a habit of running the tank even below 1/4 of a tank. Only bad things happen so get yourself to a pump before the light goes on!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
when it says E with light on, there is 1/5 a tank left = 4 gallons. how about some of us read our manuals (not directed at any 1 person)... or even just fill her up when the light comes on. You should know we have 20 gallons. pump stops at 16.... must be a 4 gallon reserve!
I agree. The most I've ever pumped into the tank was 16.5 gallons and I'd been running with the gauge on empty for a few miles. Do the math with a 20 gallon tank and that meant I had 3.5 gallons remaining.

By the way, "light" gives you all of the reasons you don't want to run out of gasoline in your Max. (He got them all correct, too) $$$$ if you do. Watch out and keep from doing that.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:20 AM

I always make it a point with all my cars to treat 1/2 tank as the empty mark. Doing this you never have to worry about any of the problems mentioned with running dry and also you are always ready to leave on a trip in a moments notice like a hurricane, family emergency, etc.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Hey I'm with you Atomic_Ed.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
I always make it a point with all my cars to treat 1/2 tank as the empty mark. Doing this you never have to worry about any of the problems mentioned with running dry and also you are always ready to leave on a trip in a moments notice like a hurricane, family emergency, etc.
Too Paranoid!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by brewboy13
Too Paranoid!
I really don't think it is paranoid since I live in Florida and we have evacuation warning to come at times throughiut the hurricane season each year. If you ever had to leav in a moments notice with everybody and their brother all trying to fill up that all the gas stations have hours of waiting and often run out of gas before you get your turn then you would know what I mean. I also had a half dozen times or so over the years where I had to leave out of town in the middle of the night. I don't know about you but when traveling late at night it is not always the safest thing to do by stopping at an unknown gas station in the wee hours of the morning,,

Anyway I also like knowing I never have to think about running out of gas. It has just been a habit for me ever since I started driving.

To each his own.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 PM

I really don't think it is paranoid since I live in Florida and we have evacuation warning to come at times throughiut the hurricane season each year. If you ever had to leav in a moments notice with everybody and their brother all trying to fill up that all the gas stations have hours of waiting and often run out of gas before you get your turn then you would know what I mean. I also had a half dozen times or so over the years where I had to leave out of town in the middle of the night. I don't know about you but when traveling late at night it is not always the safest thing to do by stopping at an unknown gas station in the wee hours of the morning,,

Anyway I also like knowing I never have to think about running out of gas. It has just been a habit for me ever since I started driving.

To each his own.

Point well taken I guess I live in a different worry free zone sort of. We have as many gas stations open all hours as we do churches! My brother has had to deal with the evacuations down there good point.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:35 AM

To each his own.
Well for one I live in Illinois so I have no threat of a hurricane evacuation. Two, I live in Chicago so I have an ABUNDANCE of 24 hour gas stations available to me. If I knew I was going to be driving a long distance maybe in the middle of nowhere I would definitely fill up first. As far as the quarter tank thing goes, I have NEVER heard of anyone having problems letting it go beneath this point. The only problems I have ever heard of is when you actually run your car out of gas. My rule: quarter tank in winter and fill her up after twenty miles of light being on in summer. My two cents.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by dopestar129
Well for one I live in Illinois so I have no threat of a hurricane evacuation. Two, I live in Chicago so I have an ABUNDANCE of 24 hour gas stations available to me. If I knew I was going to be driving a long distance maybe in the middle of nowhere I would definitely fill up first. As far as the quarter tank thing goes, I have NEVER heard of anyone having problems letting it go beneath this point. The only problems I have ever heard of is when you actually run your car out of gas. My rule: quarter tank in winter and fill her up after twenty miles of light being on in summer. My two cents.
Guess alot of the problems that can happen from running the tank to low levels would be dependant on the amount of contaiminants in the tank from various gas stations. I have personally seen things get messed up on some cars fromm sucking sediment up. Regardless, to each his own and for me 1/2 tank is my empty mark.

Just my .02 on the subject.