6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Radio Reception?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Radio Reception?

I was wondering if others are having the same problem as my 04 Max has? I get awful radio reception. My 95 Max SE was 100% better than my new ride. I now can only pick up stations clear from a very close range and static if there is any distance to the station. Nissan tells me this is due to the in glass antenna, my wife's 04 Accord has the same thing with a great signal . I know that XM or Sirius would solve this problem my car is pre-wired, but that is gonna cost me a chunk to install and a monthly bill to boot!!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Baloney. The reception in my Max is excellent. In fact, I've driven it cross-country twice and I've found it pulls in distant stations as well as any car I've had. Don't buy the "antenna in glass" huey. Your Max should perform just fine, and you need to push the dealer to fix it. If all else fails, take it to a good radio shop that does car sound and let them diagnose it for you.

Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Baloney. The reception in my Max is excellent. In fact, I've driven it cross-country twice and I've found it pulls in distant stations as well as any car I've had. Don't buy the "antenna in glass" huey. Your Max should perform just fine, and you need to push the dealer to fix it. If all else fails, take it to a good radio shop that does car sound and let them diagnose it for you.

Mike
Thanks I just needed to hear it from another Max owner.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Yeah, the reception is just fine. Just as good, if not better, than my last car.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:15 PM

reception not good for me

I have to agree with the original post. My reception is sub-par compared to my old 98 SE with power antena.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
SuPeRmOd

only time i get static is spots where other cars also lose a certain station, or cell phone reception is also weak.

either way, radio around here sucks. i want sirius so bad.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you use a cell phone charger in the car? if so try upluging it for the ride. Things like that are really dirty. They cause a ton of noise on the ground/power which most definately effects the radio reception. See if that helps. It's a start! Good luck!

I know this helped improve my reception. TRY IT! I am still trying to figure out a way to isolate the charger so it doesn't create line noise.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax
Do you use a cell phone charger in the car? if so try upluging it for the ride. Things like that are really dirty. They cause a ton of noise on the ground/power which most definately effects the radio reception. See if that helps. It's a start! Good luck!

I know this helped improve my reception. TRY IT! I am still trying to figure out a way to isolate the charger so it doesn't create line noise.

No other power source is being used like a cell phone charger or Radar Det. Now I am in somewhat of a mountain area but compared to my 95 Max or any other car for that matter it is horrible. I know people in flat areas like Florida have better reception picking up many stations, but this is the worst reception of any car I have ever been in. Well with the exception of one without an antenna! Yes to the other fellow I am dying to get mine hooked up to Sat. Radio but heck that is going to cost a chunk of change. Thanks everyone for the input. BTW it is just fine with AM Reception.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:23 AM

brewboy13 - I have no more trouble with my 6th gen radio reception than any other 'antenna in windshield' vehicle. Surprisingly, it is better than the reception in my wife's Ranger, which has a raised metal antenna.

Generally speaking, however, radio reception ranges from poor to very poor in hilly or mountainous terrain, and northeast Alabama is exactly that. Gadsden has lots of hills and ridges around it.

I have felt for years that I don't seem to get quite as good reception in vehicles with 'antenna in windshield' as I did in olden-day vehicles with raised metal antennas.

I think part of that problem may be that most everywhere I drove half a century ago was in what one would now consider 'open country'. These days, however, there are high tension power lines, cell phone towers, microwave relay towers, power plants, factorys, stores with neon lights, radar, TV transmission towers, lots more radio stations, traffic lights, many more vehicles, etc, etc, almost anywhere one goes. Electronics are now everywhere, and the air is saturated with 'noise'.

But no, the 6th gen Maxima radio reception seems to suffer from this noise pollution no more than other radios I have had in recent vehicles.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:36 AM

I have a 5th gen max with the in-glass antenna and the receptions sucks. But what was really strange is when I covered the child-seat brackets on the rear deck, it improved. I'm not sure why, and I don't know if it's even related.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
brewboy13 -
Generally speaking, however, radio reception ranges from poor to very poor in hilly or mountainous terrain, and northeast Alabama is exactly that. Gadsden has lots of hills and ridges around it.

I have lived here all my life and this is by far the worst recption of any vehicle that I have been in around here. I realize we are somewhat limited due to the area but still it seems pretty weak. I can normally pick up all Birmingham stations (45-50 miles away) no problem but not in this car. Also my wife's Accord has the in glass antenna and it picks up stations great. I guess mine may be worse than others or it just maybe the new Max is not great for this area. I am going to to go the dealer and see what they may can dig into.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 AM

after market anttena adaptor

i didn't noticed radio reception problem until I put in an aftermarket HU which called for an attenna adaptor that converts the 2 pin out from my 03 Max to the singe pin into the HU. I've noticed the union of the 2 pin plug to the adaptors recepticles are very suseptable to noice interference. I've tried plugging it in reverse to swtich the contact pin and it got some what better. However I'm still getting lots of static noice, especially from distant stations and also stations I used to get fine with factory HU. There is also an antenna booster wire attached to the car's attena cable that is supposed to be hooked up to the HU's "anttena remote" wire. I will look into their connections. But so far I can not enjoy the radio any more.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by WinterC
I have to agree with the original post. My reception is sub-par compared to my old 98 SE with power antena.

I'll live with it. It's better than having the antenna go up and down. that's old school.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

whoever has there car tinted with metalized tint it screws your radio reception. I did and now my stereo sucks. I will be adding a aftermarket hidden antenna
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 AM
.org extraordinaire

my reception

blowss a$$ chunks hardcore.!!!!

It had mediocre reception prior to tinting, now it just blows. Compared to our 99 Boneville with UP/DOWN antenna the max blows. Need to find a remote antenna thingy with a booster. I used to have one in the ghetto old olds 88 Royale. That thing picked upi everything. Even across lake Ontario i would get rochester channels. NO MORE

Kam
Old 12-07-2005, 10:30 AM
SuPeRmOd

I thought everyone knew that certain tints are bad for your antenna
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 AM
dla

Just a thought:

Those that get bad reception, there is TSB 05106 that deals with static in the speakers when a GSM type phone is on operation. It only covers non Bose systems.

http://nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2005/1.htm
Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM

I have a SE 04 and no problem at all..
Old 12-07-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
My experience with radio signals in the "real mountains" in the west (not the hills in Alabama) is that FM signals have problems, but many AM signals do not.

When in the mountains I either listen to CDs or AM radio and don't even try getting FM stations. When FM stations do come in, they don't last long when you are driving.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:43 AM

so how do we get rid of the static noise that's picked up from 20 to 30 plus stations we can pick up in the generic hills of the northeast?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:48 PM

My reception is perfect.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by msoemax

hey i had that problem wiht my 05 max with my car charger i was told i get the stadic because my back window is tinted and in the new tints there is a metal in it to make is so the tint wont purple and change color over time and being that the antenna is back there and all when u figure a way to isolate the charger let me know so i can do ti to my nextel charger thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 08:09 PM

3M makes a great tint that is non-metalized and has a 4 year warranty if it turns purple or bubbles. They also claim you can wash it with any type of window cleaner. It is kind of expensive but worth it in the long run.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
SuPeRmOd

Sirius FTW
Old 12-12-2005, 08:12 PM

I have ****ty reception as well. I didn't know the tint had anything to do with it. I got it tinted right away so I don't know if it was bad before. All I know is that my wife's Rav4 gets like 400 more stations than my max
Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this is a common problem when you don't have the antenna outside the car (no the back window does not count)... Just get XM and the problem will go away
Old 12-13-2005, 12:09 PM

I agree with the original poster as well. The reception does seem to be significantly worse in my max than in other vehicles I have owned. However, all my other vehicles have had external antennas. I notice even in flat open country, Kansas, Nebraska, etc. the reception range is very limited. In other vehicles I've been able to receive WBAP and KRLD out of Dallas well into Oklahoma and as far as Kansas at night but not with the Max.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeMaximus
whoever has there car tinted with metalized tint it screws your radio reception. I did and now my stereo sucks. I will be adding a aftermarket hidden antenna
What hidden antenna do oyu speak of? I've heard about this before and been wondering about it since I been contemplating shaving my Power antenna. Does it go in the trunk or suttin, and supposedly get better reception or atleast just as good as the stock power ones?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

I think the reception is fine, its better than a metal antenna
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 AM

no more static in radio

those of ya that has an AM head unite in the 5th gen, make sure your head unit is on the SAME ground as the antenna instead of grounding from HU to chassis; black ground wire in the Metra harness doesn't count since there is no connection through the factory harness!

I took the ground wire from the HU and bolted it to the screw hole on the back of the head unit itself as that is the same ground the power antenna is hooked up to and the factory wiring doesn't provide GND to the radio therefore the radio is grounded through the power antenna.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 AM

My reception sucks after I put in my dvd HU. Iam interested in finding out more about the antenna booster wire. If someone can plz help me in how to connect it.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:43 AM

My reception is great; better than other vehicles I've owned that had external metal antennas.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 AM

i fixed my reception problem

Originally Posted by myer84
My reception sucks after I put in my dvd HU. Iam interested in finding out more about the antenna booster wire. If someone can plz help me in how to connect it.
a separate antenna or antenna booster doesn't work if you don't get rid of the source of your noise, you will simply boost the noise level along with the signal level while retaing the same S/N ratio. You need to troubleshoot the problem from antenna power wire, HU ground or amp ground if you have an amp. Let me know if you need more details cuz that's all I did the pass week and I've fixed my FM reception noise and now battling the amp ground issue, will hook up a better ground this weekend.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM

Mine is perfect, much better than any other vehicle I have owned-internal or external.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ypl102
a separate antenna or antenna booster doesn't work if you don't get rid of the source of your noise, you will simply boost the noise level along with the signal level while retaing the same S/N ratio. You need to troubleshoot the problem from antenna power wire, HU ground or amp ground if you have an amp. Let me know if you need more details cuz that's all I did the pass week and I've fixed my FM reception noise and now battling the amp ground issue, will hook up a better ground this weekend.
Give us the details, I'd love to know. I am having the same problem as everyone else...
Old 12-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by myer84
Well all i did was add a dvd player and also bought the fm antenna adapter to connect radio. I tried unplugging it and plugged it back, but still have the same proble. I have no amp yet. Iam planiong on installing it next week. All I know is that my stock stereo picks up good reception.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:29 AM

static fm reception

well, I have to correct what I previously said about factory radio is grounded through the antenna ground; just realized the 8 bolts on 2 sides of the radio would ground it to the metal brackets which are connected to chassis.

My AM HU fm noise was due to 2 things and I only fixed one of them. pick a staticky station, connect/disconnect the amp turn on wire in back of the HU at a moderate volume and with the subwoofer level turned all the way down if your HU has such function so you can hear from only the speakers. Mine cleared up a when this amp remote is disconnected. I also noticed turning off the LP function from the amp improved it, just use the LP from HU if so equipped. Also my 2 channel subwoofer rca mono outs were split into 4 channels b/f going into the amp, make sure their polarities are correct eventhough you would think mono doesn't matter, but this took care of all the noises coming from the amp.

The 2nd cause is due to the diversity antenna, if you connect the AM adaptor b/t factory diversity and HU the normal way (clip thru loop), the 12V power antenna must get hooked up as this channel of the diversity must be powered. If you decide to flip the adaptor and utilize the other lead, you will not need 12V since this antenna doesn't get powered. After all these, My reception is perfect if the car is not moving; but when it moves, FM still gets interferance from something and only local stations gets affected the least due to stronger signal. Sorry troubleshooting is impossible when car moves. I might try another after market antenna or booster of some kind b/f putting back the factory head unit. it's a lot less headache and I listen to radio all the times so . ..
Old 12-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How much is the $ per month of sirius and xm? And who has either? which works better? I am leaning towards sirius because of H.Stern and their other sports packages. My regular radio reception in the max SUCKS, like no other, so i am bent on satalite for now. Hope it doesnt become the next cable tv and become flooded with commercials :-).
Old 06-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need a solution please

I have a 2005 Maxima 4 door sedan with a BOSE radio system factory installed. I bought the car used and the radio reception is horrible here in Florida (no mountains, etc..) I have searched and tried to read through the threads but I see no SOLUTION to the problem. Yes, there is tint on the windows but I cant pick up a clear signal from a very large station 40 miles away that broadcasts all over NE Florida.

What is the solution? I can't truly afford to take it to the dealer to "diagnose" the problem. Please help wizchef89@gmail.com
Old 06-06-2015, 01:07 PM

You do not say if you have problems with FM or AM stations.

My 04 now has 148 K miles and the AM radio still works just fine.
I do not listen to FM, so do not know how that side works.
I do use the 6 CD changer quite often and except for a few skips at times, it too
continues to work well.

If you decide it needs repair, do not go to the dealer. Take it to someone who specializes in fixing automobile radios.

Quick Reply: Radio Reception?