6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2005 SE vibration - shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2005 SE vibration - shimmy

I know that this has been discussed as it relates to the TSB for 2004s, but I have 2k miles on a 2005 SE and have a moderate amount of steering wheel vibration when I take my hand off the wheel (it is visible). Based on what I have read in the TSB re: 2004, I would assume that this is a balancing issue. Has anyone else had this problem in an '05? I understand that I am going to feel "responsiveness" from the road surface with the SE suspension and the 18" rims, but this feels more extreme.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Do you feel it when your hands are on the wheel ?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by NashMax
I know that this has been discussed as it relates to the TSB for 2004s, but I have 2k miles on a 2005 SE and have a moderate amount of steering wheel vibration when I take my hand off the wheel (it is visible). Based on what I have read in the TSB re: 2004, I would assume that this is a balancing issue. Has anyone else had this problem in an '05? I understand that I am going to feel "responsiveness" from the road surface with the SE suspension and the 18" rims, but this feels more extreme.
I can visually see the wheel go left and right when I take my hands off the wheel. I do not feel it at all when my hands are on the wheel. I have no vibration that I can actually feel. Most of my cars have done this in a similar manner, except my BMW. I have 20" rims on the car and low profile tires also. My car does not really track on the road surface, actually does pretty good for 20" rims. Can you feel vibration in the wheel left and right? I have a SE as well.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:49 PM

Yes to both of the above.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
wsu

slight vibration

Originally Posted by carcus
I can visually see the wheel go left and right when I take my hands off the wheel. I do not feel it at all when my hands are on the wheel. I have no vibration that I can actually feel. Most of my cars have done this in a similar manner, except my BMW. I have 20" rims on the car and low profile tires also. My car does not really track on the road surface, actually does pretty good for 20" rims. Can you feel vibration in the wheel left and right? I have a SE as well.

How much excursion is there in the movement with your hands off of the wheel? If you can see the vibration with your hands off of the wheel, but you can't feel it when your hands are on the wheel, is the wheel still moving when your hands are on the wheel? I test drove an 04 SE with a marked shimmy and not only did the wheel vibrate significantly, the vibration came through the body so that it was felt through the whole car. Obviously, I didn't buy the car. In fact, when I mentioned the shimmy (it was so obvious that the saleman had to agree too), the owner of the dealership said that he wouldn't sell me the car because I wouldn't be happy. Maybe he didn't want to have to deal with the problem(?). At any rate, I ended up buying an 05 SL from another dealer. But I digress...If your hands on the wheel preclude the vibration (even with a light grip?), I would speculate that the vibration is not related to the shimmy mentioned in TSB's. When I test drove the 05 SL that I ended up purchasing, I thought I felt a shimmy-like vibration. After driving the car more, there is some very slight mechanical-road vibration that comes through the wheel at times, but it's not "the shimmy". I have had the car at various speeds for significant miles, and there are times when the slight vibration is diminished or nonexistent. Does your vibration happen at certain speeds? Though I doubt these thoughts give you any clear answers, I hope they help you to analyze your situation.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 AM

I took it in to the dealer this morning to have the tires balanced. I will see if this (hopefully) fixes the problem. It is a vibration at 45-55 mph and I can feel it to the point that my metal banded watches rattle when I have my hand on the wheel. That is my guage as to whether or not there is a problem. Last year, I drove a 2004 TL and pinned the tire issue that they had immediately. They came with tires that would develop extreme flat spots. My buddy that was with me thought I was nuts, but that night he was on a TL forum and read about the problem. Simple tests go a long way.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Let us know the outcome (I just had my tired balanced at 15K to try to reduce the shimmy - but it's still there, albeit in a slightly reduced form).
Old 02-16-2005, 04:06 AM

Trip number 2. Got it back and it is worse. I got it back with 35 psi (cold) in each tire. (32 recommended) The speed that I feel it at is different though. Now, I feel it at 65-70.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been having a similar problem however I am experienceing intermittent vibrations coming throught the gas pedal as well. Of course the dealer cannot varify this so they won't do anything. At first I thought it was the road I was on but now it comes and goes on roads I take every day. One day the car dirves so smooth and the next I'm getting crazy vibrations on the same road. Has anyone had this problem solved, it's almost at the point where the car becomes annoying to drive.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by adriantevan
I have been having a similar problem however I am experienceing intermittent vibrations coming throught the gas pedal as well. Of course the dealer cannot varify this so they won't do anything. At first I thought it was the road I was on but now it comes and goes on roads I take every day. One day the car dirves so smooth and the next I'm getting crazy vibrations on the same road. Has anyone had this problem solved, it's almost at the point where the car becomes annoying to drive.
Tell your dealer to balance your tires. If your tires are as bad as mine were, there is a distinct possibility that balancing could be causing your vibration. This morning, I could feel the vibration with my knee resting against the center console. The vibration is speed dependent so it may seem that it is coming and going.

I don't know if this is the norm, but the dealer I went to had no problem doing the balance under warranty. I guess if you come in with a specific complaint about vibration they will do it under warranty, but if it is just time in the maintenance intervals they won't.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:03 AM

4 new tires. Called Goodyear yesterday and got a reference number. Took car to local Goodyear shop this morning and they said they weren't sure what was causing it, BUT Goodyear does not recognize "road force" balancing as accurate (done twice by Nissan dealer). They said that the RSAs should be computer spin balanced, but that even after they had been spun there was still vibration. They replaced all 4 tires and said it drives perfectly now. I'll pick it up this afternoon.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Moderator GT-R

Nissan should add the shimmy to the list of features on the base model.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:08 AM
wsu

balancing was good for me

I had a slight vibration in my tires, and a recent balancing worked wonders. The vibration I was dealing with was such that I didn't notice it until after I had the tires rotated and balanced (analogous to washing a window and not realizing that it had a film on it until you look through the clean window). Now the ride is very smooth. I hope a balancing does the trick for you.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 AM

4 new tires and still a shimmy. Maybe my standards ARE too high.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 AM
wsu

make them make it right

Originally Posted by NashMax
4 new tires and still a shimmy. Maybe my standards ARE too high.
If you still have a shimmy, you may have to be very persistent with the dealership about it. You could start documenting all visits/conversations (date, time, people with whom you spoke) regarding this matter. You may have to send a "notice" letter (read, "veiled threat") to the dealership with a chronology of the events up to this point in which you have not received satisfaction.

Though I don't know a lot about your situation, I don't think anyone should have to settle for a shimmy, especially when you know that others are not having to put up with it (i.e., the car is capable of being driven with out the shimmy, so it is possible for the car to be made right). You may want to make this point with the dealership and ask them why they wouldn't want to make it right. Did they just want to take your purchase money and forget you? Aren't warranty repair costs reimbursed from NissanUSA? If so, the dealership shouldn't be on the hook for anything. If the dealerships are having trouble getting re-imbursed for time and parts from NissanUSA in dealing with the problem, then the problem certainly goes beyond your dealership to a corporate attitude, though the dealership is complicit in the attitude of not wanting to fully make it right.