6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Just at auto show..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just at auto show..

Being a current 2k1 owner I think the inside of the new Max is ugly! What's with the dash and cloth going around it? It reminds me of my grandma's 62 Buick. I really was excited about the new Maxima since my lease is up soon but now that I've seen one up close I think I might get an Altima. I'd like to hear comments on what you guys think of the dash.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

You are about to get your a$$ chewed out by our fellow 6th genners, prepare yourself.
The 6th gen is def a car that grows on you. I love it now.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Funny, when I first saw the dash of the 5th gen I hated it, reminded me of a Chevy with all the cheap plastic.... Then again, I had just sold my 4th gen. So...I think you just get used to what you have and the next model that comes out just doesnt look right.
After time it begins to look good. To each his own though....I really liked the 6th gen interior right away.....except its apparent that the parts and build get cheaper every year. Damn cost cutting!!

Jay
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM

I didn't have a problem with the 5th gen dash. I can't really say I ever bought a car that I needed to get use to something. What about the small buttons everywhere? I noticed the console would be tought when driving.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMax2k1
Being a current 2k1 owner I think the inside of the new Max is ugly! What's with the dash and cloth going around it? It reminds me of my grandma's 62 Buick. I really was excited about the new Maxima since my lease is up soon but now that I've seen one up close I think I might get an Altima. I'd like to hear comments on what you guys think of the dash.
Well, to tell you the truth, what I think about the dash is that jealousy is an ugly thing.

The 6th Gen's have been out there for almost 2 years now, and if you're just now looking inside one, you don't really have any interest in them ... you're just looking to bash them. I personally think the dash is outstanding, mainly because it dips down low and away from the driver and passenger, making the interior more spacious and allowing an uncluttered view ahead. And the cloth trim is as good in my mind as plastic or vinyl.

Btw, I had a 4th Gen Max and skipped the entire 5th Gen because it was just ... well, boring. *yawn*

Mike
Old 02-27-2005, 11:47 AM

Prepare for some bashing.

But I think the interior of the 6th gen > Interior of the 5th gen, and our family has owned both.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

Personally, sitting in a 5th gen maxima makes me clusterphobic, the space in the 6th gen is amazing. I read once in an auto mag that the 6th gen uses a "Concept car interior ina production car" I love it, I think its artsy and more modern than any other production car out there. The Old Max's have plain vanilla interiors you can see anywhere. Oh,yah i almost forgot, your just jelous
Old 02-27-2005, 12:17 PM

The interior is one of the big reasons I bought mine. I dont think its the best design ever or anything, but I dont hate it and it does look more modern/different then the typical cookie cutter general design of most other cars.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:04 PM

If I didn't know that Maxima is the $hiznt, I would have said something not so nice.

Or maybe I would have not even entertained that comment.

Go ahead and shift a 6gen of your own.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:21 PM

At first I didn't care for the interior of the 6th Gen but it has grown on me. I couldn't find a vehicle with the amount of room I wanted for the money. The Max was my choice as opposed to buying an SUV.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:24 PM

I like the dash on my 04....

what is so special about the 2K1, looks dated and like a Sentra.

Radio and HVAC controls look like they are from a Ford pickup truck in comparison.

I think the new interior on the 6th gen is VERY MUCH a step above. Just my opinion though, but if this is what you are comparing to a 04-05 interior....much has changed over the years.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by C17chief
The interior is one of the big reasons I bought mine. I dont think its the best design ever or anything, but I dont hate it and it does look more modern/different then the typical cookie cutter general design of most other cars.
...and chicks dig it!
Old 02-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

theres absolutly no comparison between the interiors of the old max's and the new one, this post needs to stop , nuff said.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
theres absolutly no comparison between the interiors of the old max's and the new one, this post needs to stop , nuff said.
I agree...and if has taken him 2 years to finally step into a new Maxima and take a look.....granted, I respect his opinion to differ, but hey, you see the pics I posted and tell me how he compares it to a 62 Buick with our trim....and then you now see the pics of a 2K1 interior. Big big difference with the interiors. Since most of us here actually own 6th gen Maxima's, I do not need to post a compare and contrast picture....the 2K1 interior posted above is all that is needed to make the point.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:01 PM
wsu

Dash could be better

I don't care for the cloth on the interior. I'm not so much opposed to the appearance as I am the difficulty in keeping it clean/removing marks. In general I do not find the dash all that appealing. I like a flatter surface on which I can occasionally place things. The curvy shape of the dash and the rounded, sloping surface seems out of place a bit.

As with many things in life, one adjusts and the interior is fine with me. On balance, with the many other positives with the car, the dash is not a major consideration for me.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by wsu
I don't care for the cloth on the interior. I'm not so much opposed to the appearance as I am the difficulty in keeping it clean/removing marks. In general I do not find the dash all that appealing. I like a flatter surface on which I can occasionally place things. The curvy shape of the dash and the rounded, sloping surface seems out of place a bit.

As with many things in life, one adjusts and the interior is fine with me. On balance, with the many other positives with the car, the dash is not a major consideration for me.
I can kinda get your feel with that....but I like the faux suede interior. I also like my cloth seats, after owning leather in my last many cars.....done with leather. The dash does take some getting used to....but nice. Now, the only other interior I liked was my Lincoln Mark VIII. Times change and interiors change. Hell, I acutally like the new 3 series 06 year interior coming out.

But than I tend to spice my interiors up.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:31 PM
SuPeRmOd

first glance at the upcoming 04 interior pics... "I will have one." I loved it from the beginning. I have no complaints about it at all. They did better than read my mind. I hate ***** and levers. Please pour out your HaterAde. IMO our gauges are even the best so far. I know many miss the old Max ones, but these flow nicely w/ the rest of the dash.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 PM

You know what's sad is that most of you never had a previous Maxima but you bash me for not looking inside one of the 6th gens. Why would I when I wasn't looking for a new car till now? I like the outside. I just was taken aback when I saw the cockpit up close. Huge dash with plasticy small buttons. I think it's lame that some people compared the dash of a 2k1. It was 4 years ago! It should look different.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:36 PM

I think it's lame that some people compared the dash of a 2k1. It was 4 years ago! It should look different.

Being a current 2k1 owner I think the inside of the new Max is ugly!
You just contradicted yourself...now thats lame.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:39 PM
SuPeRmOd

Huge dash with plasticy small buttons.
what else are you supposed to make buttons out of, leather? You want huge buttons?

I think it's lame that some people compared the dash of a 2k1. It was 4 years ago! It should look different.
tell me about it. so why did you start this post?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by BLAXIMA2K4
You just contradicted yourself...now thats lame.

What's lame is a picture of your smashed up car.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
tell me about it. so why did you start this post?
I don't know why. I thought maybe I'd get some better feedback from fellow Maxima owners. I love my Maxima but I can point out things I don't like. My car isn't perfect. I guess the 6th gen is.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:46 PM
05WHTMAXISL

i just have a feeling that black max2k1 just cant simply afford one so his looking to get new altima 2.5se no options or used 50k miles 6th gen maxima and change his name on forum and come up with a post stating LOOK AT MY HOT MAXI NEW BABY!!!

and BLAXIMA2K4 dam..ur sign pictures hurt my heart...looks like the EYE GOT PUNCHED...

Old 02-27-2005, 09:32 PM

Dont be mad cuz I was right. You asked for opinions and now I believe your catching feelings over what you started. Ill take my smashed up Max anyday over yours anyday, with the interior in mind as well. Thats why I own one! I believe its unique and a step up from what it used to look like. Dont come in the 6th gen section, doggin the car 2 years late, asking for opinions, then getting your panties all twisted in your *** cuz we gave you our opinion. Its an open forum...expect it.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:53 PM

You know what's sad is that most of you never had a previous Maxima but you bash me for not looking inside one of the 6th gens. Why would I when I wasn't looking for a new car till now? I like the outside. I just was taken aback when I saw the cockpit up close. Huge dash with plasticy small buttons. I think it's lame that some people compared the dash of a 2k1. It was 4 years ago! It should look different.

I own a 6th gen and a former owner of a 95 SE. There are somethings about the new one that is to be desired but no car is perfect. In some ways I think the 95 was nicer like leather on the doors instead of cloth. Parts seemed built of a higher grade of material. I hear some say its cost cutting I think it is quality cutting. The new Accord has leather all around and 240 hp at a price below 25k.(for those of you will get onto me and say go buy one I did I have both but I love the Max much more) I am just agreeing that there is some validity to the new Max interior needing minor help. With that mouthful said as for the Altima. That is a awful interior. Cheap as a Ford Taurus. Now if you want to go with an Altima go right ahead but you will regret it. That interior is not even close to the Maxima for quality or looks.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:49 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

I've owned a 4th, 5th and now a 6th gen. I can honestly say that I do not mind the dash in the new Max at all. I look at it as part of the evolution of the car. It takes some getting used to but I don't think it is by any means ugly. Also, the shape of the dash looks a lot like the one on the '05 Altima with the main difference being the climate and radio controls. Is the dash on the Max different? Yes. However, the fact that the car is different and stands apart is the reason I bought it. I could have easily gotten a loaded Accord or Camry. Heck, I could have spent a little more and gotten an Avalon. If I had, I think I would feel as if I got less car for my money.

If you don't like the dash, that is your right. At the same time, don't condemn the car based on it. Take a test drive. See how the car feels. If you still don't like it, oh well. Go for something else. Just my $0.02
Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 AM

You know what's sad is that most of you never had a previous Maxima but you bash me for not looking inside one of the 6th gens.
bzzzzzzzzzzzzz....Wrong again ....a lot of 6th gen owners on here had previous gen Maxes as well. I'm pretty sure that "Lightonthehill" was born in a Max. I had a 2003 before my 6th gen.

Anyways..... Why would you need an opinion from anybody else whether they like the dash or not. If you don't like it, isn't that good enough for you ?

Bob
Old 02-28-2005, 05:59 AM

Now that's shallow! I just hope you won't get into an accident like that...
Old 02-28-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by brewboy13
I own a 6th gen and a former owner of a 95 SE. There are somethings about the new one that is to be desired but no car is perfect. In some ways I think the 95 was nicer like leather on the doors instead of cloth. Parts seemed built of a higher grade of material. I hear some say its cost cutting I think it is quality cutting. The new Accord has leather all around and 240 hp at a price below 25k.(for those of you will get onto me and say go buy one I did I have both but I love the Max much more) I am just agreeing that there is some validity to the new Max interior needing minor help. With that mouthful said as for the Altima. That is a awful interior. Cheap as a Ford Taurus. Now if you want to go with an Altima go right ahead but you will regret it. That interior is not even close to the Maxima for quality or looks.
Which is faster or performs better, accord or the max? I would think on the highway they would be the same considering you put premium in the accord.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:24 AM

Get the altima
Old 02-28-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maximized Jiggs
Which is faster or performs better, accord or the max? I would think on the highway they would be the same considering you put premium in the accord.
Huh? The Maxima is a lot more performance-oriented, and the additional 25hp (and extra torque) is enough to embarass an Accord.

Car & Driver puts the V-6 Accord at 7.0 sec. to 60mph, v. 6.1 for the Maxima. Accord takes 15.5 sec. for the 1/4 mile, whereas the Max does it in the low 14's.

It would take more than premium gas to make an Accord run with a Maxima.

Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 08:45 AM

I meant on the highway only, I should have been more clear. The accord v6 is dyno proven to have more than 240 horses at the crank with the premium gas, I think hondatech or another accord forum proved this. I know off the line the accord will get crushed so I am wondering how they compare at highway speeds (Both autos). Maxima still shouldnt lose if anything.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Nothing out there is going to be liked by everybody. That's why there are choices. I am not a previous Max owner, but a couple of co-workers have owned them in the past so I have ridden in them and am familiar with them. I think the 6th Gen sets itself apart from the competition and is a little classier. Hwvr, that is just my personal opinion.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:10 PM

I had a 2k2, a 2k4 SL and now I own a 2k5 SE . I speak from experience. When I first saw the new interior I thought it was different, now after driving one for a year, the interior is cooler especially at night. It's more hi-tech and modern, while the 2k1 and 2k2 are more traditional interiors. I love my 2k5. It grows on you especially at night! There are close to 90 buttons at your finger tips! Just try and count them all....including the ceiling buttons (roof, lights), mirror, heated seats and your power seat buttons. Just try and keep track! That's cool to me anyway!

:-)
Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Don't go there man. Just stop now. He was in an accident and his younger daughter was also involved as long as another relative. Whats lame is you making fun of people who been in accidents. Whats wrong with you? Can't afford a 6th gen so you bash it? Get your *** out of here!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:11 PM

My older brother owns a 2004 accord coupe V6 240hp loaded with all the extras he could get. Parents bought it for him as a gift. it was around 27k or so. I prefer the maxima. The interior in the maxima is also nicer than the interior in his accord too. Yeah it has leather on the doors, but about the head unit, all cheap lookin plastic. Its a nice car though. Pretty fast, but I still prefer the maxima. Maxima feels heavier.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Boovila
My older brother owns a 2004 accord coupe V6 240hp loaded with all the extras he could get. Parents bought it for him as a gift. it was around 27k or so. I prefer the maxima. The interior in the maxima is also nicer than the interior in his accord too. Yeah it has leather on the doors, but about the head unit, all cheap lookin plastic. Its a nice car though. Pretty fast, but I still prefer the maxima. Maxima feels heavier.
I got 2 friends and they both got 2k5 Accord coupes (MT) with all the goodies, and I think they're helluva nice, but it's still a hard choice... it all depends on what you're looking for in the end.

If you want a coupe and a LOT of bells & whistles, then the Accord is hard to beat. 240hp and navi/sunroof/VR/etc etc for about the price of a nicely configured Maxima. But with the Max you get 4 doors and a bit nicer interior, plus extra hp/torque. Personally the Accord never crossed my mind when I was looking for a car last year. Not once. It came up to "that sedan from Acura that shall go nameless" or the Max, even though the new 300C was an attractive choice too but the dealers wanted to high a premium for it.

I think the Accord -- at least the high end MT coupe -- is a serious car that can keep up with you at highway speeds, but it's not in the same category as the Max, since it was built for different types of buyers.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by viguera
I got 2 friends and they both got 2k5 Accord coupes (MT) with all the goodies, and I think they're helluva nice, but it's still a hard choice... it all depends on what you're looking for in the end.

If you want a coupe and a LOT of bells & whistles, then the Accord is hard to beat. 240hp and navi/sunroof/VR/etc etc for about the price of a nicely configured Maxima. But with the Max you get 4 doors and a bit nicer interior, plus extra hp/torque. Personally the Accord never crossed my mind when I was looking for a car last year. Not once. It came up to "that sedan from Acura that shall go nameless" or the Max, even though the new 300C was an attractive choice too but the dealers wanted to high a premium for it.

I think the Accord -- at least the high end MT coupe -- is a serious car that can keep up with you at highway speeds, but it's not in the same category as the Max, since it was built for different types of buyers.
Just what I was thinking...wanted a 300 hemi....damn they look nice, but way too much over sticker as they are a hot commodity now. Accord was not my taste, but the resale of Honda is very good. Every time I see a 300 on the road....wish I had the extra money to put down. That car was bling bling. Still happy with what I own though.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 PM

bashing and envy sucks
Old 02-28-2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Skylersmax
bashing and envy sucks
Actually, this entire post sucked.

Quick Reply: Just at auto show..