6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Who knows the most about the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 06:18 PM

Can I get a Welcome in the Best Website?

Hello All! I'm 22 and new at the website and I needed to know a few questions. I'm getting a new Max for college grad and I wanted to know what the changes are going to be on the '06 model. I made my decision to get a '06 SL(Smoke w/ caffe latte) w/ navi,driver perferred package,elite package, sunroof, splash guards( A must on a MAX) and the 18" chrome wheels. Oh by the way, are the 18' chrome wheels available on the SL or just for the SE?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeSL
Hello All! I'm 22 and new at the website and I needed to know a few questions. I'm getting a new Max for college grad and I wanted to know what the changes are going to be on the '06 model. I made my decision to get a '06 SL(Smoke w/ caffe latte) w/ navi,driver perferred package,elite package, sunroof, splash guards( A must on a MAX) and the 18" chrome wheels. Oh by the way, are the 18' chrome wheels available on the SL or just for the SE?
Welcome....no one knows what 06 has for changes. 18" rims are on the SE. Not to say the dealer can not put SE rims on a SL. You buying it after grad or is it a grad gift from the parents?
Old 03-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Who knows the most about the Maxima?

It's amazing to read the intresting facts about the Maxima, but I wonder who knows the most! My friends and family make fun of me because I constantly go by the Nissan dealership when they are closed to see if they have any new Maximas on the lot. I've noticed that they rarely have any with navigation or elite package. One thing I am kinda hesitant about is Nissan's service. When I purchase my new Maxima I don't want the quality service to end when I drive it off the lot. A car of this price is a BIG INVESTMENT and I want to be treated as though I were an honored guest EVERY TIME I bring my car in for service. My mom has a Lexus GS430 and Lexus has no doubt the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE and they take excellent care of their customers. She never has to worry about anything when she takes her car in.( They even have a loaner car started w/ the door opened when she drives up) I'm eager to hear back from ALL or most of you who are very enthused with the Maxima as I am. I feel we are one big happy Maxima family.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:22 PM

Thanks for replying, I feel as though you are my new best friend.My parents are buying it for me. I was also looking at the Acura TL, Lexus ES330, Volvo S80,Infiniti G35, and the 2005 Toyota Avalon( looks to much like an older persons car, not for me).The Max has everything I want on it and more( power folding-auto dimming mirrors, elite package, auto exit/entry drivers seat did it for me).
Old 03-04-2005, 11:27 PM

As carcus said, Nissan (as usual) is tight-lipped about the changes for '06. But there shouldn't be very many. Traditionally, the third year of any Maxima generation brings mostly cosmetic changes to the front and rear. The '06 will be easy to distinguish from the '04s/'05s, but will be essentially the same car with 'tweaks' we won't know about for several more months.

The HP will have to be adjusted in the '06 to create separation from the Altima 3.5 and keep up with the competition (especially the TL). But the HP will only go up by ten to twenty. The 300 HP area is where more power is not meaningful on a FWD vehicle. Even 280 HP will spin the wheels.

Speaking of FWD vehicles, there are those who suggest Nissan may change the Maxima to RWD. Won't happen. Infiniti is Nissan's RWD make. When the Maxima drive train changes, it will be to AWD. I don't think we will see AWD in the '06 Maxima, which is now only four or five months away.

The only way I can see any major change in the '06 Maxima is if Nissan has a special 25th anniversary edition. There are several ways that could go. All '06 Maximas could have the '25th' designation, or a limited edition upscale version could receive the 25th designation. We will know in a few months.

Going by Nissan's long track record, the '07 Maxima will be almost exactly like the '06. But the '08 will be a total redesign, and will almost surely have AWD as standard. I see AWD as becoming almost universally standard on most vehicles in the $30K or higher category by 2010, and in most cars by 2015. The advantages of AWD offroad, in inclimate weather or on slick surfaces are too great to ignore.

Your desired 'smoke/cafe latte' combo is available with the SL, but if you switch to the SE for the 18" wheels, you lose the cafe latte option as an interior color, unless Nissan changes the interior/exterior color availability for '06.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:34 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

When it comes to service, your experiences will vary from dealer to dealer. I've been to all three of the Nissan dealerships in my area and had different experiences with all of them. As far as the "honered guest" treatment, usually you get that with the higher end automakers but again, it just depends on the dealership. Some dealers have service plans you pay for that includes that type of service. The best advice I can give is to find a service department you like and get to know a service consultant or two. The better relationship you have with them, the better treatment you can expect.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 PM

Wow lightonthehill you are amazing! I posted a thread earlier on who knows the most about the Maxima and I guess YOU WIN!!! Everything you said makes since, why don't you work for Nissan as their P.R.(Public Relations) or Marketing Chariman? Thanks for replying. You're Awesome!!
Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 PM

Thanks, SmokeSL. Hate to disappoint you, but most of my 'info' does not come from inside knowledge; it is simply from having owned nothing but Maximas for over 25 years, and having always been curious as to what Nissan will do next to my favorite car. I feel fairly good about the things I said, but then I could be wrong on most of it. We will soon find out.

Thanks anyway for the misplaced kudos. I'm blushing.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 PM

Boone, how about when I get the Maxima, I'll bring it to you and let you take it in to be serviced. You seem like a nice, trustworthy person. But that's true about varying from dealership to dealership. What have you observed in your experinces at your local Nissan dealerships? Mine here in good ole Funroe(Monroe) Louisiana seem to be average. They probabaly don't like since I go up there so much. But who cares I'll just see them every 3,000 miles. Man I can seem harsh at 1:48 in the morning, but I'm ALWAYS a nice, chipper, happy-go lucky person 24/7 Seriously!! Well maybe not 24/7 I am normal.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:10 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

Well, let's see. I usually make my service appointments about a week in advance. When I took my car to Pence Nissan, they had no record of my appointment and proceded to tell me that they were to busy to get to my car. I was just taking it in for regular maintenance. After that, I never bothered with them again.

Victory Nissan West Broad was okay. They never lost one of my appointments and always got me my car back when promised but getting them to replace my radio due to the left speakers cutting out while playing a CD was like pulling teeth. They claimed both times that they could not duplicate the problem. I had to go up to the dealership and sit in the car with the tech and he still tried to diagnose the problem as a bad speaker. Luckily, I know enough about car audio systems to have known that he was wrong. I finally got them to see things my way when I got the service manager and Nissan USA involved. When my driver's seat got stuck all the way back, they just would not give me a loaner until it was fixed. I'm 5'9" so you can guess that having the seat all the way back was not the safest driving position. After this fiasco, I got totally fed up with them and stopped taking my car there.

Victory Nissan Mechanicsville has been good to me so far. I've only had to do regular maintenance with them so far but the service has been good. I'll be taking my new Max in to them in another 900 miles for it's first service so hopefully I will not have a problem.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:11 AM

Changes to the '06 Maxima

The changes /features I hope to see on the '06 Max includes...
1.New rim options
2. Rain-sensing wipers
3.Intelligent Key( Most important!!!)
4. Voice-activated navigation/cilmate contol, audio
5. Illuminated scuff plates( When you open the doors the part that says "MAXIMA" were you dust your feet off)
6.Headlamp washers
7. More horsepower
8.Puddle lights( Lights under the outside rearview mirrors)
9.Bird's eye maple wood in the SL model( On the steering wheel too)
Old 03-05-2005, 01:04 AM

Thanks for replying, I feel as though you are my new best friend.My parents are buying it for me. I was also looking at the Acura TL, Lexus ES330, Volvo S80,Infiniti G35, and the 2005 Toyota Avalon( looks to much like an older persons car, not for me).The Max has everything I want on it and more( power folding-auto dimming mirrors, elite package, auto exit/entry drivers seat did it for me).

id go with the S80.. i looked at the S60 but i like the max.. i saw a DECKED OUT S60 top of the line... 50 grand.. look into it.. the S60 and S80 are really really nice..
Old 03-05-2005, 01:09 AM

1.New rim options
2. Rain-sensing wipers
5. Illuminated scuff plates( When you open the doors the part that says "MAXIMA" were you dust your feet off)
6.Headlamp washers
7. More horsepower
asking for a lot from a $30k car.. look at the volvos if youre looking for that luxury :P
Old 03-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1.New rim options
(that's what aftermarket is for and a LOT cheaper than the dealer)

2. Rain-sensing wipers
(no thanks, I can turn them on myself)

(not really sold on that idea)

(I already look silly "talking to myself" in the car (bluetooth headset).

(okay... ?)

6.Headlamp washers
(those are useful)

7. More horsepower
(it's got plenty for a FWD car... too much more torque steer will be a real problem)

(the doors already have a light that shines down, in addition to the red open door lights)

Last poster said it best, you are looking for BMW/Infinity/MB/Jag options in a car that costs $20K less.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:19 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Okiewan
Last poster said it best, you are looking for BMW/Infinity/MB/Jag options in a car that costs $20K less.

this should be mandatory reading for those that want to post in the "pet peeves" thread. We already have A LOT of the option in a Bimmer. A good deal were added coming up from the 5th Gen.

If some of the little features are so important to you, go ahead, pay $20k more for a car with higher maintenance and w/o a VQ.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How many Bimmers and Benzs have a heated steering wheel? Zero
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Well I do appreciate everyones advice. Even if Nissan doesn't change anything on the Max, I'm still sold on it. The Max does have alot on it for a heck of alot less that Volvo, Bmw, Infiniti. Some of these features that I expressed earlier were ones I've seen in my parents and friends car. They really grabbed my attention. I like Nissan's cutting edge style( inside and out) and butter smooth VQ engine on the Max. Volvo's are wonderful cars but are expensive to maintain. ( Mom had a Volvo 960 and I had a S70). The styling to me is rather bland based on competition. I would love to have an Infiniti M45, but would not get it since it is its' first year out as a new redesign. Bmw's are awesome cars, but I DO NOT like the dash and all the buttons. But I would love for any one to post pictures of their Maxima's. I probabally could look at the pictures ALL day long.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:09 AM

If you don't know already, search on www.cardomain.com for pictures. You'll find plenty there.