6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

AHH my shift knob..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 06:20 PM

AHH my shift ****..

IT BROKE.. i was shifting on the tiptronic and it just came off! hmm i was in shock. is it covered by warranty?
Please say yes!!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes it is.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did it BREAK or did it just come apart? Could just be the little gold clip that went missing or something...

I was actually surprised at how easy it is to take that thing apart... one twist and a little clip and that's that... whole thing comes off basically.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:54 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

hey, the shift **** is not a "oh **** handle" stop grabbing it so hard....
Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
Sometimes it can't be helped...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
Thats exactly how mine broke. Been broken for 2 months now, gotta find time to get that fixed.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
Thats exactly how mine broke. Been broken for 2 months now, gotta find time to get that fixed.
come on Mystery fix that damn ****.....
Old 03-08-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by tototee999
IT BROKE.. i was shifting on the tiptronic and it just came off! hmm i was in shock. is it covered by warranty?
Please say yes!!
Yep...POS handle....got mine replaced but now have a heavy duty steel chrome one. No cheap plastic one anymore. Did make the dealer replace it though...hell, I paid enough for the car. Get the dealer to replace it and get a nice steel ball one like mine, feels better in your hand and cheap.

This thing will not break....period.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine also came off when I was shifting (but from drive to park).... I have a feeling that it was helped a bit by the guys at the body shop though.

Still, I tried to put that sucker back on and I swear it kept coming off - I finally had to go to the dealership and they were able to fix it in about 30 seconds, and hasn't slipped off again.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Mine also came off when I was shifting (but from drive to park).... I have a feeling that it was helped a bit by the guys at the body shop though.

Still, I tried to put that sucker back on and I swear it kept coming off - I finally had to go to the dealership and they were able to fix it in about 30 seconds, and hasn't slipped off again.
It is the coupler that holds it on, cheap plastic and a small clip. The teeth are easily broken if it is not removed properly. Stock shift **** is way to big though in my opinion. I like small ones. Something sturdy, will not break. Just my 2 cents. Actually, think the stock **** is about 75 bucks or so to buy that POS.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:59 PM

Tototee,

Mine did the same...I took it as a sign and upgraded to a MOMO. I was upset at first, but now im happy

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...24_61_full.jpg

BTW, I still cant figure out how to post pics!! Ugh! Tried the [.img] still didnt work!?!?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:26 PM

fixed it.. but it wiggles... GRRR .. should i just goto the dealer and see if the new ones on the lot wiggle and if they dont then tell the "stealer" to :="fix it botch!"
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
Tototee,

Mine did the same...I took it as a sign and upgraded to a MOMO. I was upset at first, but now im happy

BTW, I still cant figure out how to post pics!! Ugh! Tried the [.img] still didnt work!?!?
That looks nice, got a link to which one that is?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:36 PM

Tototee,

Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 PM

Do you have a cover on your e-brake handle as well?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
Do you have a cover on your e-brake handle as well?
Looks like it... from the floor it looks like the tan interior, and that comes with the "matching" (read: assy) e-brake as well. I wouldn't mind some linkage though... that shift **** looks nice.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:25 AM
*moderator*

I'm going to the dealer today as my shift **** broke off as well, teeth on the coupler broke...I'll let you guys know what happens...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:39 AM

Tototee,

Old 03-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Yes, it is an Ebrake cover, got it at Accessory Store for around $20. Looks nice but honestly its a cheap peace of plastic that is scratching easily (to match the REST of my interior)

I have to admit, I dont know what linkage is?! I feel kind of retarded, but I could not get the pic to post like you have done above. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am returning this shifter. Although it looks awesome, one thing I did NOT take into consideration was the "feel" After having the stock one, my hand got used to the rounded feeling. This one feels all edgy and weird. This would have sounded trivial to me if I read it, but trust me, its noticable. I dont like to have to get "used to" things either. I have another MOMO on the way...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 AM

Linkage i believe refers to the link of where you got your shifter. Model # and so on.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 AM

I have to admit, I dont know what linkage is?! I feel kind of retarded, but I could not get the pic to post like you have done above. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Go to Cardomain Page. Then pick the pic you want. Right click and then left click Copy Shortcut. Paste this on the forum page that you are going to post. Then delete all the first up to the second http://images. Insert [img]before http://images and at the end of .jpg add [/img]

Try that, works for me.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RaTgoesMaX

Go to Cardomain Page. Then pick the pic you want. Right click and then left click Copy Shortcut. Paste this on the forum page that you are going to post. Then delete all the first up to the second http://images. Insert [img]before http://images and at the end of .jpg add [/img]

Try that, works for me.
you don't have to delete anything RatgoesmaX, I do this,

#1. enlarge the pic first
#2. right click the pic. you will get a menu. click properties. you will get another menu. copt the location address.
#3. type [img] paste the location address here. WITH NO SPACES. then finish it with [/img]

no spaces or it won't work...............
Old 03-09-2005, 11:22 AM

Sweet! Thanks Tek-niq. It was the spaces that were throwing me off.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Tek-Niq OK, I admit that if that works use it. I got used to doing it my way and that also works. At least Jayzmax04 can now do it. Just trying to help.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 PM

Rat,

Thanks to you as well. Now I wont be posting with out PICS!! woohoo!

Here is a pic of the piece of shifter I cut off. Hope I dont regret it! The shifter just sat way too high....

Old 03-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Yes, it is an Ebrake cover, got it at Accessory Store for around $20. Looks nice but honestly its a cheap peace of plastic that is scratching easily (to match the REST of my interior)

BTW, I am returning this shifter. Although it looks awesome, one thing I did NOT take into consideration was the "feel" After having the stock one, my hand got used to the rounded feeling. This one feels all edgy and weird. This would have sounded trivial to me if I read it, but trust me, its noticable. I dont like to have to get "used to" things either. I have another MOMO on the way...
I know what you mean about the feel of the shift ****.....I just do not like the feeling of the big ones. That is why I opted for the ball. Sturdy, and works well. Please post pics on your knew **** though.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Rat,

Here is a pic of the piece of shifter I cut off. Hope I dont regret it! The shifter just sat way too high....

WOW...did you hacksaw the shifter arm to shorten it? Is that what that metal piece is? Bet that took some *****....hey, Velvet Revolver....I like that CD....sorry, got off topic.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:45 PM

same happened to me while in triptonic. Hopefully warranty will take care of that, as carcus said, paid enough for the care they better.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:06 PM

Ya, I was a little nervous hacking away at it, but I figured I would just eventually sell it with an upgraded shifter.

I had to ship this one back while im awaiting for a new one (with a ROUNDED grip) You can imagine how sweeet it looks with just a little metal stub popping up!

And YES, Velvet Revolver is great, no matter what topic!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:31 PM

Ya, I was a little nervous hacking away at it, but I figured I would just eventually sell it with an upgraded shifter.

I had to ship this one back while im awaiting for a new one (with a ROUNDED grip) You can imagine how sweeet it looks with just a little metal stub popping up!

And YES, Velvet Revolver is great, no matter what topic!
Great respect for you on shortening the shift **** Jayzmax04, where did you get the pedals from?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:00 PM

[QUOTE=Jayzmax04]Rat,

Holy S_ _ _ ! That is quite a chunk off the height. I wouldn`t do that with the 6 speed especially after installing the STS. Anyway will there be a problem attaching the new ****? My 6 sp OEM **** is threaded, otherwise I wouldn`t trust it to stay on with just set screws.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Roshan

mine broke too.. dealer said i had to pay.. didnt replace it yet.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 PM

Ratgoes,

The shifter installed just fine. Momo gives you about 5 different rubber mounts to choose from, and then you screw in some tiny screws into the mount. Fits good and solid.

I dont think I would have done it with a 6speed manual. I did cut quite a chuck off, but as you can see, the shifter fits perfectly on there (the height I like)

It looked like a freakin beanstalk before I cut it.

Roshan, its time to step up! Dont pay for another OEM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Sweet! Thanks Tek-niq. It was the spaces that were throwing me off.

Jayzmax...do you have a link to where you bought this shift ****? How much? Also...where did you get your pedal covers for your gas and brake? Do you have a matching dead foot rest too? Like those covers...let us know....

Jimbo
Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 PM

Jimbo,

Got the shifter off here. http://store.yahoo.com/ltbmotorsport/momo.html

Not sure if you saw earlier post, but I am returning this one. It looks awesome, but I didnt take into consideration the "feel" of it. Cant easily rest the hand on it, weird angles. I already ordered the F16Evo. Its got a rounded handle, my hand will like it better.

As for the pedals, they are just cheap RS-1 Tuning pedals from the local Pep Boys. $20. No dead pedal however. Got them for the easy install. (No drilling) I like them though.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:35 PM

Damn, my carpets need cleaning!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:31 AM

Will any of the MOMO ***** fit or is there a particular size we need to use.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by bigcozz
Will any of the MOMO ***** fit or is there a particular size we need to use.
Cozz, I cant say for sure if they will ALL fit, but im pretty sure they will.

The one I got (above) fit my AT just fine, even if I hadnt chopped off some length. They have universal fitters (6 plastic spacers) and small screws that grip into it. Its an easy fit.

Good luck- REMEMBER, choose on FEEL, not just looks. Peace-
Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 AM

what a coincidence... I just broke my shiftknob... Actually, i was trying to remove the ******** and while doing so, I lost the pin that holds the ****. Now the **** fits okay and stays in the handle, unless I slightly force it to pop...

Anyway, my dealer is ordering one for me... prob. will get it replaced @ my next oil change....
Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by silvermax04
what a coincidence... I just broke my shiftknob... Actually, i was trying to remove the ******** and while doing so, I lost the pin that holds the ****. Now the **** fits okay and stays in the handle, unless I slightly force it to pop...

Anyway, my dealer is ordering one for me... prob. will get it replaced @ my next oil change....
Silver, take it as a sign, go for an upgrade!

Quick Reply: AHH my shift knob..