6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sirius receiver on backorder

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sirius receiver on backorder

I was shopping for the Sirius tuner for my Maxima yesterday. I got several stories from various dealers and parts distributors as to why nobody has the OEM Sirius tuner in stock. I heard everything from "Let me go ahead and take your order, we'll have them in any day" to "I have had those things on order since February, Nissan may be discontinuing support for Sirius." I personally think that the latter may be a stretch, but I did notice that these things are virtually impossible to find. Once my creative juices started flowing, I found one at my local infiniti dealership. It was their last one. Does anyone know anything else about the status of Nissan, Clarion and Sirius? Surely Nissan wouldn't jump on the XM bandwagon. The fact that we had a choice was a huge selling point to me.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:50 AM
SuPeRmOd

check grubbs online. they have the best price. i also saw one on here for sale in the classifieds for $250. that's where I got mine.

there's no way they are discontinuing. it's just so damn popluar right now. same reason the Sirius mini antenna has been backordered. terk, clarion, etc. can't keep up with demand.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:28 AM

Grubbs didn't have them. Everywhere I tried from the internet didn't have them. I have mine now, but let this serve as a heads up to those thinking about getting Sirius. I agree about the popularity.

A good friend of mine got a TL and called in to XM and asked for the "$60/yr. deal" that he had heard about on a TL forum. One year for $60 after his trial ends. XM must have recognized that Sirius is whipping them. $60 per year to those that ask for it will only hurt the debt ridden, not so mighty XM. Let us also note that this backorder situation does not effect the XM products.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:53 AM
SuPeRmOd

how about the fact that XM just upped their prices to match Sirius. and you still have to pay extra for features that are standard with Sirius. I paid the lifetime $500 for Sirius. I plan on keeping my Max for many years. Besides, $500 is about 3 years anyway. So no matter how long i have my tuner, after 3 years, it's free.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:07 AM

I opted for Sirius when I purchased my Max, they said they had to order it as well. They told me 4 days to recv it from supplier. Well it was backordered for about 3 weeks. When they finally got them in was 1st on schedule for install and guess what first kit was defective ! They told me they would have to order another. Guess he saw the look on my face cause they found another kit "in the back" somewhere. Sirius is winning the battle at this point I liken it to HBO and SHowtime. Sirius understands that content is everything ( Like HBO)and at this point provide NFL, NBA, NHL(well next year), Stern, streaming content from the internet for free, no premium fees and excellent payment options, I did the lifetime subscription as well.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:37 PM

I hate my XM! How do I convert over to Sirus?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:09 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Skylersmax
I hate my XM! How do I convert over to Sirius?
I take it you're oem? I'd see if the dealer can swap it for you. i doubt it, by I know I'd try it.

Call Nissan and see if they can help. otherwise, you're looking to sell it under $300 and paying that much or more for a sirius tuner. good luck with that.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:26 PM

Yeah sirius is awesome. I have the Sportster Reciever, reason I got that was because I felt like it had the biggest display. I also bought the boom box for it, got a great deal on everything. I use the FM Transmitter though, sounds alright to me, just when I drive by Fort Lee (which is across the river from NY), it can get a little static in there. The All Out Show on SHADE 45... doesnt get any better than that
Old 03-23-2005, 07:35 PM
SuPeRmOd

boovila, I just set up the Sportster in a friend's car. he couldn't get a perfect FM station. so he got a cheap cassette adapter from radioshack and he gets a better transmission.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I take it you're oem? I'd see if the dealer can swap it for you. i doubt it, by I know I'd try it.

Call Nissan and see if they can help. otherwise, you're looking to sell it under $300 and paying that much or more for a sirius tuner. good luck with that.
Yeah its OEM and I have found that it sucks majorly! I will call and see if it can be swaped out and I will post the results.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 PM

boovila, I just set up the Sportster in a friend's car. he couldn't get a perfect FM station. so he got a cheap cassette adapter from radioshack and he gets a better transmission.
Yeah I have heard that the FM modulators were not all that great and most recommended the tap adaptor.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:01 PM

sirius reciever info

Called to dealer today about the sirius receiver. As you already know its on nation backorder, but the dealer said that you can go through customer care and prepay and you will be at the front of the list. Not sure how what works, but the receiver is 320.00 (part #999u9-nv004) and the install kit is 45.00. Now I just have to decide which route to go for purchase.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:06 PM
SuPeRmOd

i would find out what the install kit is. you have to be prewired so that must mean the splitter and antenna. 45 isn't bad, but you can get a splitter for $20 and a mini antenna for $30 off Amazon.

install is so easy, please don't let the stealership rip you off. plug in wire connections and I used doubled sided tape to mount. but if you have the XM, you already have holes drilled for screws.

will they give you credit for the XM equipment?
Old 03-24-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Skylersmax
Called to dealer today about the sirius receiver. As you already know its on nation backorder, but the dealer said that you can go through customer care and prepay and you will be at the front of the list. Not sure how what works, but the receiver is 320.00 (part #999u9-nv004) and the install kit is 45.00. Now I just have to decide which route to go for purchase.
Unless you are going to have the dealer install it, I would get the Terk SIRMINI antenna and Terk Splitter. I just got mine up and running today. Got the receiver from a local infiniti dealer and looked at the Nissan antenna and didn't like the looks. I got the terk stuff from amazon (cheapest). I have the antenna running through the seats and on the very back of the shelf. It works great and I have less than 45 minutes in the install.

edit: Nismo beat me to the punch...don't **** your money into the dealer's wallet.

I have also heard that the antennas are interchangeable between XM and Sirius. Does anyone know? This would make a big difference to Skylers.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:18 PM

"I see mention on this site of people getting different antennas, but I have been using an XM antenna with my Sirius Audiovox in my Jeep with no problem."

I knew I saw this somewhere. This is a quote from the siriusbasckstage forum.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:31 PM
SuPeRmOd

figured, but i'd still get a Mini. unless you don't mind the lump of clay on your roof and don't want to uninstall it.

mini on my deck works great, but in some wooded abd foogy areas, roof mount would eliminate the seldom split second cut outs.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:49 PM

I assumed that the XM antenna would work with the other, but according to Nissan they are not interchangable. But if the antennas already ran, and will work then I need to do is just swap the receivers....right??
Old 03-24-2005, 04:50 PM

will they give you credit for the XM equipment?
Not sure I can ask, did't think that they would credit anything.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:38 PM

A bit off topic, but anyone read about XM making an exclusive deal with Hyundai, while Sirius made exclusive deals with Range Rover, Jaguar, and another high end co. can't remember which.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by voxefx
A bit off topic, but anyone read about XM making an exclusive deal with Hyundai, while Sirius made exclusive deals with Range Rover, Jaguar, and another high end co. can't remember which.
that has been happening. I mean look at who got who. Xm had the higher end names before, but Hyundai???? there are also audio companies with exclusive deals.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1066857398286

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/in...n=Custom&ID=11