6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'05 Maxima problems? Considering getting a 6th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 09:41 AM
z26
Newbie - Just Registered

I paid 28000 for a 05 SE with every option but chrome and elite. I think the sticker was 33 something. I got it on the last day of the nissian sell a million car promo. The dealer aslo gave lifetime oil changes. Its silver with black leather.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 AM

Just bought two 05 Max SE's, one for the wife and one for me. Both cars seem to be perfect. Did some detail work on mine this weekend and can't find one thing wrong. Both of them drive great and are really nicely finished and very tight. At the year end pricing the dealers are starting to sell at, I'd go for an 05 and take the savings over an 06.

As for pricing, got both of them at a steal price. Wife's SE, DPP, Sunroof, list 32,750, for 26,999. Mine has the same equip plus the VDC package, list 33,350, for 27,599. These were bought within 3 days of each other, wife's first, mine second. Guess I couldn't stand her having a Max without me having one as well.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I paid 27 for a 33 SE. Everything but chrome and elite.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:20 AM

All I can say, bro is listen for rattles. Take it out for a test drive, turn the radio off, tell everyone to shut-up & just listen. I REALLY wish I would have done this before I got mine. Make sure you drive in several different types of road if possible. Listen for any buzzing or rattling. There is nothing more annoying then hearing a constant subtle buzzing or rattling coming from your brand new car...trust me.

Good Luck
Old 05-02-2005, 12:01 PM

What makes you think you need new shocks and springs at 65K? Do you plan on trading in a car everytime you need new tires and brakes? Makes no sense to me, unless you are independently wealthy. It strikes me that you drive quite a bit.

You will be in the same boat in 2 or 3 years if you buy an 05 Maxima. Put $1,000 to $1,500 into the car when the time comes. Personally I'd take an 02 or and 03 Maxima over a 6th Gen any day of the week and not have to worry about shimmies, lousy transmissions, misaligned glove boxes etc. etc.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey thanks guys, It looks like you guys got some good deals on your 05. I am looking at loaded SL, with nav is the nav system worth the money or should I look for aftermarket one.

Chris
Old 05-04-2005, 06:46 AM

os maxima

i have a 05 that i am going to sell, majestic blue 10,000 miles and a se let me know if you want any info $23000
Old 05-04-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
What makes you think you need new shocks and springs at 65K? Do you plan on trading in a car everytime you need new tires and brakes? Makes no sense to me, unless you are independently wealthy. It strikes me that you drive quite a bit.

You will be in the same boat in 2 or 3 years if you buy an 05 Maxima. Put $1,000 to $1,500 into the car when the time comes. Personally I'd take an 02 or and 03 Maxima over a 6th Gen any day of the week and not have to worry about shimmies, lousy transmissions, misaligned glove boxes etc. etc.
Are you having some kind of inferiority issues or what? I havent seen a post of yours yet in the 6th gen forum where you don't suggest staying with or getting a pre 6 th gen max. Seems your posts would get more milage in the the other forums.

Just my .02
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 AM

Sorry bud, just stating my opinion which I am entitled to. I can understand how you would be testy, since I am on your turf but if you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:50 AM

Rattle

I just hit 1000K miles and now I too have the rattle during acceleration.

Have to bring it to the dealership. I still love the car.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:48 PM

Sorry bud, just stating my opinion which I am entitled to. I can understand how you would be testy, since I am on your turf but if you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.
Testy? Nah. Just wondering why you are on a anti 6th gen crusade, makes no diff to me, just curious.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
SuPeRmOd

Personally I'd take an 02 or and 03 Maxima over a 6th Gen any day of the week and not have to worry about shimmies, lousy transmissions, misaligned glove boxes etc. etc.
I have had none of those problems. Oh yeah, I forgot. The 5.5 Gen was the only Maxima with no problems
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2002/1.htm
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2003/1.htm
nope, saw no mention of tranny problems whatsoever

both are great cars and are designed towards different tastes. but seeing that you haven't owned either, why would i expect you to know that?

you can have your opinions, but atleast be able to back them up when putting down others.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM

Just scroll down the list of threads and you will see problem after problem with the 6th Gens. The last time I checked "denial" wasn't a river in Egypt. I'm going to go out and enjoy the Motor Trend Car of the Year (granted it was 1995, lol!). Bye for now.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:32 PM

Unfortunately, there weren't any 95's to be found, so I was forced to buy my 05, so yeah, you got me. I'm feeling a little inept and abused right now.

There, I admitted it. Now please have pity on me.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
SuPeRmOd

Just scroll down the list of threads and you will see problem after problem with the 6th Gens. The last time I checked "denial" wasn't a river in Egypt. I'm going to go out and enjoy the Motor Trend Car of the Year (granted it was 1995, lol!). Bye for now.
wait, what's your arguement, b/c i'm confused. You honestly think I'm unaware of 6th gen problems? Did you see who made the Stickies? All I said is that I have not experienced these problems since you make it seem that every 6th has them. Also you act like other gens had no problems when obviously they did. My uncle just got his 3rd starter for his 97.

anyone who frequents a car's forum but insists he has no interest is swimming in "denial". I haven't seen a Max I didn't like and never claim one to be better than another. You spew opinions as fact with nothing to support them. Good-bye.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
wait, what's your arguement, b/c i'm confused. You honestly think I'm unaware of 6th gen problems? Did you see who made the Stickies? All I said is that I have not experienced these problems since you make it seem that every 6th has them. Also you act like other gens had no problems when obviously they did. My uncle just got his 3rd starter for his 97.

anyone who frequents a car's forum but insists he has no interest is swimming in "denial". I haven't seen a Max I didn't like and never claim one to be better than another. You spew opinions as fact with nothing to support them. Good-bye.

For what it is worth, I bought my brand new 6th 2005 SE back in January and so far the only problem (if you can call it a problem) was a missing bolt from one of my exhuast brackets which was replaced in no time at the dealer. Other than that minor thing I have also had none of the problems listed by others here either,
Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 PM

Well the '05 Maxima is doing a lot better than last year. I don't think Nissan has given then the exposure and coverage they needed to be a great runaway success if that is what they indeed wanted. I finally saw a commercial for it the other day. Although to the untrained eye they look similar to the less expensive Altima, they always caught my eye when I did see one on the freeway. So I bought one. It is probably the best bang-for-the-buck (and under appreciated) vehicle since the LS1 Camaro

Old 05-06-2005, 01:52 AM

only thing i got to say, the car attracts a lot of attention, good and bad. for example, i got a lot of compliments but i also got hit

other than that GREAT CAR, wouldnt want anything else other than an Audi S4 Quattro
Old 05-15-2005, 06:47 AM

I got a call from the dealership as well and ended up trading in my 02 max for an 05 max. I thought about it long and hard and figured if I get one I am going to get the one I want. So I had the dealer find me an 05 SL black on black with elite package. Picked it up today and I love it. I am missing my 02 max a little, but probably more because I had a lot of interior mods in it that are not in my 05
Old 05-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Don't get a Maxima you WILL regret it. Mechanically, car is OK. (Torque is not evenely distributed, so unless you rev the engine over 4000 RPM there's not much power really, maybe 30% of what is available above).

But the biggest problem with any Nissan car is interior parts. You would not believe how shabby they all are. Even "upscale" models. Door panels, dashboard, roof lining, those things are held in place by cobwebs, and some major parts are held in place by little rubber/plastic lips that can be bent by 2 year old. Any Nissan car I have driven, has worse interior quality than Toyota Tercel...

The cars will rattle in a few thousand K, so stay away from Nissan. Don't say you have not been warned.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mario Grgic
Don't get a Maxima you WILL regret it. Mechanically, car is OK. (Torque is not evenely distributed, so unless you rev the engine over 4000 RPM there's not much power really, maybe 30% of what is available above).

But the biggest problem with any Nissan car is interior parts. You would not believe how shabby they all are. Even "upscale" models. Door panels, dashboard, roof lining, those things are held in place by cobwebs, and some major parts are held in place by little rubber/plastic lips that can be bent by 2 year old. Any Nissan car I have driven, has worse interior quality than Toyota Tercel...

The cars will rattle in a few thousand K, so stay away from Nissan. Don't say you have not been warned.
Hmmm... have you even ridden in a new 6th Gen? While I agree some of the plastics may be a little flimsy and scratch easily, etc, take a look around... lots of other manufacturers are doing the same (if not worse). I looked at a new Crossfire a few weeks ago - and that interior was real crap. The sales rep looked at me funny when I told him the interior sucked and said "What? You didn't like the Mercedes?!?".
Old 05-22-2005, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Hmmm... have you even ridden in a new 6th Gen? While I agree some of the plastics may be a little flimsy and scratch easily, etc, take a look around... lots of other manufacturers are doing the same (if not worse). I looked at a new Crossfire a few weeks ago - and that interior was real crap. The sales rep looked at me funny when I told him the interior sucked and said "What? You didn't like the Mercedes?!?".
Yes, I have ridden in Maxima. I bought 2005 Maxima SE, 5 sp A/T with Elite package on April 28. I have not even made the first payment yet, and I had to super glue some interior parts already (they were falling off). Power sun roof is rattly, back doors "murmur" when driving on highway, there's rattles coming from speaker area at the back (could be the power sunshade), etc.

This is not my first Nissan either. I had bought Altima 3.5 SE in 2003 (by the way felt more powerful and definitely handled way better). It was also rattly within months. I thought I had a bad "sample", but now I see all their cars are like this by design.

So, I won't waste my money any more on Nissan. I gave them too much already.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Too bad you've had that kind of experience....... but what you saying could be applicable to almost any car manufacturer out there. I drive several different types of cars (rentals) per year because of business travel. I've noticed the issues that you're raising as "Nissan" issues to be existent to some degree in pretty well every brand that i've driven. Not to mention in my driving lifetime of owning several different cars for the last 30 years.

Bob

Yes, I have ridden in Maxima. I bought 2005 Maxima SE, 5 sp A/T with Elite package on April 28. I have not even made the first payment yet, and I had to super glue some interior parts already (they were falling off). Power sun roof is rattly, back doors "murmur" when driving on highway, there's rattles coming from speaker area at the back (could be the power sunshade), etc.

This is not my first Nissan either. I had bought Altima 3.5 SE in 2003 (by the way felt more powerful and definitely handled way better). It was also rattly within months. I thought I had a bad "sample", but now I see all their cars are like this by design.

So, I won't waste my money any more on Nissan. I gave them too much already.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
Too bad you've had that kind of experience....... but what you saying could be applicable to almost any car manufacturer out there. I drive several different types of cars (rentals) per year because of business travel. I've noticed the issues that you're raising as "Nissan" issues to be existent to some degree in pretty well every brand that i've driven. Not to mention in my driving lifetime of owning several different cars for the last 30 years.

Bob
I too have driven non-Nissan cars and some "domestic" (whatever that means, I'm Canadian, and there's really no domestic Canadian car) cars, and none had such shabby rattly interior. I drove 5 years old BMW 7 series that was quieter without any hint of rattle than the brand new Maxima or Altima.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

If you listen to anything long enough your bound to hear something, My Max is Rock Solid quiet, however I live in Southern Maryland and the roads are pretty smooth, I'm pretty sure most city driven Max'es have a little more noise here and their. (right NY & NJ). Nissan tech department states in order to counter an occasional rattle noise, turn speaker volume higher...

Could be the reason my Max is rock solid quiet???
Old 05-22-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
If you listen to anything long enough your bound to hear something, My Max is Rock Solid quiet, however I live in Southern Maryland and the roads are pretty smooth, I'm pretty sure most city driven Max'es have a little more noise here and their. (right NY & NJ). Nissan tech department states in order to counter an occasional rattle noise, turn speaker volume higher...

Could be the reason my Max is rock solid quiet???
i live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada and our roads pretty smooth...my Max doesn't sound like i'm driving in an $80K car but it is defenitely as quiet or more quiet than anything else i've driven in that same price range or category.

Chernmax............You're probably right about...driving "any" through New York or Detroit streets everyday streets would rattle and shake any car more than more than Elvis in Vegas in his prime. And i agree with you...if you listen attentively, with your ears at attention long enough and you'll hear whatever you looking for.

From what i recall the streets around Kitchener/ Waterloo where "Mario Grgic" lives are pretty smooth as well. We probably all have different tolerances for noise...for example the neighbor's pool filter griniding noise gets on my nerves all summer. where apparently it doesn't bother my wife...but it drives me crazy.

Bob
Old 05-22-2005, 07:47 AM

I luv my 04' Max....haven't had any problems out of it. It does shimmy a little when I hit the brakes, but I'm sure an aligment will take care of that, just haven't gotten around to it. Other than that, I've had nothing but good things about it........I definetly can't go back to my 4 cyl. Galant......
It's just a fun car to drive.....it drinks gas like water...but otherwise fun....
Old 05-22-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by blakstarz
It's just a fun car to drive.....it drinks gas like water...but otherwise fun....
Take your foot off the gas for better gas mileage ! (joking)

I agree.

Bob
Old 05-22-2005, 10:28 AM

Mario,

No offense guy, but I don't think you own a Max now or ever have. You're just here to bash Nissan, plain and simple. Either that or you are really dumb. If your 2003 Altima was so bad, if you even owned that car, you would have never purchased a Max. Also, if it's as badly put together as you say, you would have experienced it on your test drive and walkaround and never bought the car. You're just like posters at other boards that get on just to bash something you don't own. Wouldn't be surprised if you were a 12 year old with nothing better to do with your time. I say this with quite a bit of insight to bashers like you who roam the "stock market" boards bashing stocks you don't own. Sorry, but this is how you sound to me. Please, just go away and let us on this board discuss the pros and cons of our choice with some intelligence and help for each other in solving any problems we may have with our cars. All cars can have some problems, but what you describeas "your Max problems" tells me you're just bashing something you don't own. I've had bad experiences with other cars before and believe me, I've never bought another car from that manufacturer ever, never mind a year or two after a bad experience. Had a crappy Galant, won't touch another Mitsu for the rest of my life, same goes for GM cars. I've got two o5 Max's and my cars are tight and well put together, much better than my previous Chrysler Sebring convertible or Honda Accord. Why don't you just sell your "imaginary Max" and go bash the Acura TL which has more problems than our 6th gen Max's.

Sorry, for venting guys, but I just get tired of "bashers" or "kids" that don't own what they bash and are just on the internet for fun and games. I see it all the time.

P.S. Mario, what the h*ll is Sparkle Red, no such color. At least if you are going to pretend, get the color right. It's Red Opulance. Time for you to go, your parents are calling you for dinner.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jinsatx
Mario,

No offense guy, but I don't think you own a Max now or ever have. You're just here to bash Nissan, plain and simple. Either that or you are really dumb. If your 2003 Altima was so bad, if you even owned that car, you would have never purchased a Max. Also, if it's as badly put together as you say, you would have experienced it on your test drive and walkaround and never bought the car. You're just like posters at other boards that get on just to bash something you don't own. Wouldn't be surprised if you were a 12 year old with nothing better to do with your time. I say this with quite a bit of insight to bashers like you who roam the "stock market" boards bashing stocks you don't own. Sorry, but this is how you sound to me. Please, just go away and let us on this board discuss the pros and cons of our choice with some intelligence and help for each other in solving any problems we may have with our cars. All cars can have some problems, but what you describeas "your Max problems" tells me you're just bashing something you don't own. I've had bad experiences with other cars before and believe me, I've never bought another car from that manufacturer ever, never mind a year or two after a bad experience. Had a crappy Galant, won't touch another Mitsu for the rest of my life, same goes for GM cars. I've got two o5 Max's and my cars are tight and well put together, much better than my previous Chrysler Sebring convertible or Honda Accord. Why don't you just sell your "imaginary Max" and go bash the Acura TL which has more problems than our 6th gen Max's.

Sorry, for venting guys, but I just get tired of "bashers" or "kids" that don't own what they bash and are just on the internet for fun and games. I see it all the time.

P.S. Mario, what the h*ll is Sparkle Red, no such color. At least if you are going to pretend, get the color right. It's Red Opulance. Time for you to go, your parents are calling you for dinner.

I don't know who's a child here. I never gotten personal with anyone in here, but you decided to.

Anyway, my warning is not for people like you who measure their worth by the car they own (if you do at least get a better car). It's for people who are evaluating a purchase and doing research. As for me being dumb, perhaps I am, I only have masters degree in pure math, so who knows.

By the way sparkle red is what the color is called in canada ( look at http://www.nissan.ca/en/buying/confi...delCode=U4VG55 ).
Old 05-22-2005, 12:15 PM

1157 miles on my 05 SE and no problems so far.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:52 PM

I don't know who's a child here. I never gotten personal with anyone in here, but you decided to.

Anyway, my warning is not for people like you who measure their worth by the car they own (if you do at least get a better car). It's for people who are evaluating a purchase and doing research. As for me being dumb, perhaps I am, I only have masters degree in pure math, so who knows.

By the way sparkle red is what the color is called in canada ( look at http://www.nissan.ca/en/buying/confi...delCode=U4VG55 ).
A master's degree in pure math, eh?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
A master's degree in pure math, eh?
Yes, from University of Waterloo. Pure math as opposed to applied math.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:10 PM

This thread has become pointless....Nismo80 where are you ?
Old 05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yes, from University of Waterloo. Pure math as opposed to applied math.
http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoucal...pure_math.html

Old 05-22-2005, 02:38 PM

I have an 04 and I've had some issues but there's only one car I would trade it in for and that's the new GS. Everything else is a YUGO to me. My next car will most likely be a MAX. I don't care if it's AWD, RWD or has some type of Cold Fusion "thing-ah-ma-jig" under the hood. I love my car and I would recommend it to Henry Ford himself if he would ask for my opinion. I hope this helps (smile)
Old 05-22-2005, 02:45 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

MARIO!!!!! is that your sig dude!!!!............... make it smaller damn...

***Signatures:

Signatures are a privilege extended to all maxima.org members.
Signatures may be text, images or a combination of text and images.

Signatures must conform to the following reasonable guidelines:
Sexually oriented or sexually suggestive content in your signature is prohibited.*
The maximum allowable size for a signature on maxima.org is 550 pixels wide by 325 pixels high including image and text.
You must make your own arrangements for image hosting. Maxima.org does not host signature images.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
MARIO!!!!! is that your sig dude!!!!............... make it smaller damn...

***Signatures:

Signatures are a privilege extended to all maxima.org members.
Signatures may be text, images or a combination of text and images.

Signatures must conform to the following reasonable guidelines:
Sexually oriented or sexually suggestive content in your signature is prohibited.*
The maximum allowable size for a signature on maxima.org is 550 pixels wide by 325 pixels high including image and text.
You must make your own arrangements for image hosting. Maxima.org does not host signature images.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. I wish that info is available whe you edit your signature.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 PM

Thanks 04BlackMaxx for the link. I can't believe some people in here, choosing to define themselves by the things they own.

Anyway, the link to pure math grad department at UW is here

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/PM_Dept/

It's a great school, one of the best in North America. Anyone wanting to study math (but you have to be a little stupid to do that), should check it out.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

haha i know, be prepared for alot of that here...especially if you dare to post anything in a non 6th gen forum....owners of other generation maximas can get very territorial, its strange. I recently recieved a B.S. in finance, theres people on here who think what car you have and what you know about it is a valid measurement of one's intelligence. Ive seen people go so far as to say maxima.org is nothing but a couple smart people and 1,000's of stupid ones, and refuse to answer questions because they are so fed up. Personally I find joy in telling someone something they didnt know. You'll see if you stick around.

Quick Reply: '05 Maxima problems? Considering getting a 6th gen...