6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Custom Enterprise Y pipe....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:37 AM

Custom Enterprise Y pipe....

Hey guys,

I'm looking into the Y pipe upgrade for my 04 Max.......I wanted to know if anyone has brought a Y pipe from them (I already ordered a Injen CAI for them) I keep hearing about an addition of the Y pipe will help even more with HP gain. I've looked on the FAQ about Cattman and Stillen but from places that I can find them they are a little pricey (like 350-389) and the Custom Enterprise one is only 299.....think I should go for it? Also, has anyone had any problem with installation or issues after installing one of these?

Thanks.....
Old 04-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mystery_Man got a y-pipe from them... one of the first IIRC. His hp gains are documented on the CE site.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:35 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by viguera
Mystery_Man got a y-pipe from them... one of the first IIRC. His hp gains are documented on the CE site.

I was thinking about getting a Y-pipe but was told that cat would be gone and not pass inspection NYC. Later Warren
Old 04-23-2005, 11:30 AM

I think I 've read from other site with other brands that you won't lose it.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:48 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by blakstarz
I think I 've read from other site with other brands that you won't lose it.
Thanks I will start checking that out. Warren
Old 04-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought a y pipe from CE. Veyr easy to install. You lose the cat. Mine is for my 6 speed which is slightly different. I think the auto has a fitting for O2 sensor. Love the power.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I bought a y pipe from CE. Veyr easy to install. You lose the cat. Mine is for my 6 speed which is slightly different. I think the auto has a fitting for O2 sensor. Love the power.

Oh ok.....I believe I read somewhere that run the engine is running at normal temperature, emissions will not be a problem.....something to that effect. I forgot where I read this. I'll find it....either way, I'm gonna get it.....if you don't mind me askin'...with the CAI and the Y-pipe combined...about about how much HP did you gain all together? I ordered the Injen CAI.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:07 PM

I have a Stillen intake and the y pipe. Im gonna guess as to hp gain - probably about 15 hp. The sound is worth it all. More gains can be made with cat back exhaust becuase the stock exhaust looks like a cement truck ran over and over it in various places. Its VERY crimped. Check out the actual outlets of the muffler. Its about 1+ inches, maybe, like little garden hoses. The tips clamp on to outside to make them LOOK bigger.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:05 PM

Here is my review of the Custommaxima Ypipe..

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/article124.html
Old 04-23-2005, 06:38 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Here is my review of the Custommaxima Ypipe..

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/article124.html
So this site is saying that th CE Y-Pipe also has a cat.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Reading the article it looks it was not about 6th Gen Max.

1995-1998 Custom Enterprise SS Y-Pipe/Hi-Flow Cat
Application:
95-98 Nissan Maximas
96-99 Infiniti I30s

Here's a portion of an email discussion I was having a guy from CE:
"Anyway, I have to correct myself on the Y-Pipe. I meant to say that you'll loose the Cat altogether if you replace your Y-Pipe with ours. You'd have to do some customization on your exhaust if wanted to add a Cat back to the system. Please note our disclaimer on the bottom of the Y-Pipe page that states "For Show or off-Road use only". I did not mean to mislead you, I just misunderstood what I was explained, sorry!"

Maybe there is a "way" to get it on there with the cat, but doesn't sound like it. I wonder if there is another company that make a Y that keeps the cat.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:14 AM
GrandPa

Thanks Apollos2, I need the cat for NYS inspection and I don't know anyone who makes the pipe with the cat.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:18 AM
GrandPa

Will you ride pass inspection with the Y-pipe where you live? I think that they are more strict in Ca. than in NY. Warren

Old 04-24-2005, 08:12 AM

Hmmmmmm......I may have to re-think this then if losing the cat is going to pose a problem. I may as well get a full cat-back system, but I don't really wanna spend no 700 or so for one......
Old 04-24-2005, 09:46 AM
GrandPa

Hmmmmmm......I may have to re-think this then if losing the cat is going to pose a problem. I may as well get a full cat-back system, but I don't really wanna spend no 700 or so for one......
Check out this site for a Greddy SP-2 catback system
http://city-speed.com/webstore/exh_greddy_sp2.html has it for $640.99 Later Warren

Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by viguera
You are correct. I donated my time and car for the R&D for the Y-Pipe, and had some dyno'd runs as well, both before and after. Excellent product, no problems, dealer hasn't even noticed, or cared at that matter.

I have the injen cai and the sound is awsome, the power is there as well. Exact gains with the 2 products i'm unaware of of since the dyno was just stock and y pipe.

As far as emissions is concerned we'll see when the time comes in a few months to get that done. Worse comes to worse i just gotta take it to a local shop for the good old hometown connection.

But either way definatly a worth while investment, or at least a substitute until some headers come our way.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:18 AM

You can always sub in ur stock pipe when it comes time to get inspection. Its a very easy swap.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:04 AM
GrandPa

You can always sub in ur stock pipe when it comes time to get inspection. Its a very easy swap.

That sounds like a great idea. Matter of fact, I think that I just get a safety inspection this year and thats not till Sept. I love this forum, someone always comes up with a good idea. Thanks alot Warren
Old 04-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
So this site is saying that th CE Y-Pipe also has a cat.
The site is in reference to the build quality of the 95-99 CE Ypipe which does not include a cat, it is seperate.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:21 PM

How easy? Do you mean the shop can basically swap the CE-Y for the stock without remodifying the parts they had to modify to get the CE on in the first place? (Assuming mods are required to install the CE-Y in the first place )

In Denver we only have to pass emissions once every two years so it might not be a bad proposition.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 PM

very easy. I did it on the ground, no air tools in like 45 min or so. Bolts right in.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:33 AM

Well, Custom Enterprise is backed up with the Y-pipe sales and won't be available for another 2 weeks. Does anyone know where else I can get a Cattman or Warpspeed Y-pipe at? I've search everywhere and can't find any place that sells them for the 04 Max....just the 03......
Old 04-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Custommaxima.com

We should have them this coming week. They are a new product and sell out very quickly. By the middle of next week we should have over 100 of them in stock.

With our pipe you do lose the cat. converter as it is a physical part of the stock y-pipe. Our customers have been very pleased with the horsepower gains so far.

Remembe to mention you are a member of Maxima.org for free shipping.
Thanks,
Greg
CustomMaxima.com

Old 05-06-2005, 08:37 AM

Be careful. I am told that the OEM catalytic converter has some sensors in it for Maxima setup. And that if you change this set up or take out the converter, your check engine light will come on. Plus, if anything goes wrong with the engine or something related to the converter, the dealer will void any warranty repair.

The converter is specifically made for the car with heat sensors, etc. You may want to wait for something that can keep the OEM cat, or just get headers and a Cat-back system, like Ramberg. Alternatively, you may want to run it past a Nissan mechanic that does exhaust systems. Let me know what you come up with.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The pipe has been on my car since Dec 04 and no problems.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Hi, I also have a Custom Enterprise Y-Pipe installed on my 04 Max since Dec 2004. Check out my Cardomain web page of the installation pictures:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/668322/3

The installation was super easy, took the shop all of 18 minutes to install. 5 bolts on/off at the pipe, plus 2 for the heat shield.

Overall I am extremely happy with the performance. Key thing to remember, engine noise will increase, however you can counter that with the stereo volume **** and they are technically for racing use only, depending on your state of residence, they may be illegal during your state re-inspection. Luckly for me, Maryland only does inspections when you buy a vehicle or transfer the title (hang on to the old one just in case), other than that, hang on too the wheel tight and enjoy the ride...
Old 05-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Correction, 8 bolts at the pipe, 2 on the heat shield, 30 minutes in/out of the shop since I was shooting the breeze with my buddies who did the install...
Old 05-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Mine has not sensors but its a 6 speed and the y pipe is slightly different. I noticed no noise increase, just more power. It took me about 30 min to do the install.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:12 PM

well the positives seems to be outweighting the negatives...I think I may go for it since it's cheaper than doing the cat-back. I spoke to the guys at Custom....and they said the Y pipe will be probably in next week......I just got my Injen CAI today (I'll probably have it installed along with the Y pipe in one shot).
Old 05-07-2005, 12:33 AM
GrandPa

well the positives seems to be outweighting the negatives...I think I may go for it since it's cheaper than doing the cat-back. I spoke to the guys at Custom....and they said the Y pipe will be probably in next week......I just got my Injen CAI today (I'll probably have it installed along with the Y pipe in one shot).
I called on Wed. and they told me they were going to them in yesterday. Later Warren
Old 05-07-2005, 09:52 AM

04 Y PIPE with cats

Being kind of a tree hugger I am interested in a Y pipe for my 04 SE that maintains full catalitic converters.

Something mandrel bent.

Does one exist?

Please advise!

Thank you!

04WHITESE
Old 05-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Not that Im aware. Understand that you have TWO pre-cats that remain in place. These engines run so well, Im not sure a cat really has much impact on emissions.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:19 PM

For the people who have done intake, exhaust, pulley...does the y pipe compare in power gains to any of those mods? I know the only one I really felt was the pulley so thats why I ask.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:28 AM

if you look at all the replies who have done it, there is nobody from NY. These are people that are out of state. It may not work for NY. If ramberg does it, and he has no problems, then I think it should be ok. Trust this guy.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by queenzkid
if you look at all the replies who have done it, there is nobody from NY. These are people that are out of state. It may not work for NY. If ramberg does it, and he has no problems, then I think it should be ok. Trust this guy.
Thank you buddy
Old 05-20-2005, 03:58 PM

What would be the main thing to get to make the Max sound a little louder? Not that concerned with more HP but looking for a deeper sound. Also with the mods you guys have is there a deep rumble or that buzzing sound. I see so many young people with civics and eclipses with that big muffler that sounds like a bee. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Well, I got the Y pipe the other day and I'm getting it installed tomorrow (Saturday) and from what the folks at Custom say it doesn't have the "Bees buzzing in can" sound. But an exhaust will give you that deep sounds you looking for.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
GrandPa

Well, I got the Y pipe the other day and I'm getting it installed tomorrow (Saturday) and from what the folks at Custom say it doesn't have the "Bees buzzing in can" sound. But an exhaust will give you that deep sounds you looking for.
When did you order the y-pipe? I call every week and they say they are not in stock. Thanks Warren
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
When did you order the y-pipe? I call every week and they say they are not in stock. Thanks Warren

Hey Warren,

I ordered it last Friday. I spoke to a guy named Nick and he told me that they had a few in. I was talking to him through the web chat service and he told they had some (don't know how many exactly). And I told him I was a Maxima.org member and he shipped it out for free and I got the next day. But you have to call them in order to get the free shipping. I'd give them a call and asked them again, tell'em that a member just brought one (Ray Caldwell). I remember they said there was none, but when I asked him again he said he did......they probably had them in the back of the warehouse somewhere and forgot they had them......
Old 05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
GrandPa

Hey Warren,

I ordered it last Friday. I spoke to a guy named Nick and he told me that they had a few in. I was talking to him through the web chat service and he told they had some (don't know how many exactly). And I told him I was a Maxima.org member and he shipped it out for free and I got the next day. But you have to call them in order to get the free shipping. I'd give them a call and asked them again, tell'em that a member just brought one (Ray Caldwell). I remember they said there was none, but when I asked him again he said he did......they probably had them in the back of the warehouse somewhere and forgot they had them......
Thanks Ray, I will call them Monday.

Quick Reply: Custom Enterprise Y pipe....