6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Got Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Got Regrets?

I know it's hard to admit that something you bought for the Max didn't live-up to your expectations, didn't work as advertised, etc. After having it a few days started feeling like too many $ for what you got?

I'm wondering if reality has set in on some? I mean, there are MANY that lowered their car, only to have to deal with reduced ride quality and lot's of noise. Guys with massive rims running around on bad streets/highways, getting dinged or scratched-up... CAI owners sucking water, living with that sucking sound 24/7, and the list goes on. At what point does someone discover that doing stuff for looks isn't worth the sacrafices? I'll assume the reposnse to that will go along owner's age lines to a degree.

Got Regrets and willing to admit it? Look at it as a public service lol!
Old 05-02-2005, 11:32 AM

I have no regrets...so far. I got 20's and did lower the car, but I knew what ride quality I was going to get. I also added a CAI and changed the mufflers, all to my satisfaction. The only thing I regret was not getting the car with the factory Nav... But to solve that problem, I added the AVIC-N1.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 AM

My Max and I had a rocky start, but our relationship is doing quite well now. She looks great, rides smooth and is always willing to put out when I ask her to. Eventually I'd like to get her some new shoes but thats about it.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Law520
My Max and I had a rocky start, but our relationship is doing quite well now. She looks great, rides smooth and is always willing to put out when I ask her to. Eventually I'd like to get her some new shoes but thats about it.
Man, you gotta get rid of that pin-stripe. Looks just like my SL except for the rims. Gotta love that Black.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:40 PM

As much as many people dog the Max...Im still lovin it. No regrets. My mods, my pleasure, my MAX! Proud owner since day 1!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM

LOVE my mods - no regrets... Glad to have seen some of the threads on the Eibach issues though. I am definitely holding out until some better springs become available...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
SuPeRmOd

Okiewan, why are you so anti-mod? Seems most people know what they're getting into and dismiss the cons. This site has always been pro-modification. although several members are not, it is based on personalizing and increasing performance. You've made it very clear about your distain for mods. But is it necessary to point and say "I told you so"? even though it seems many will stick with their mod rather than go back to stock.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 PM

I'm lovin my max..
planning to get an air intake and some rims for it. the rims probably wont come till next summer.
my one gripe is that since this is supposed to be nissan's flagship... shouldn't they have made remote startup a standard feature?
beyond that its nuthin but pure v6-265hp-bliss for me
Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 PM

I don't think Okiewan ment this as an anti-mod thread. He has a few mods himself that are audio and cosmetic. I think he was wondering if anyone was ever sorry doing something to their car that seemed a good idea at the time and it backfired on them.

As far as me......I am glad I modified the stereo by adding the amp, subs, and cap. Now, the only downside is the space taken up in the trunk....I did know what I was getting into though as far as the space issue. But I am happy overall.

As far as the 20" rims.....they came from the dealer with them. Rides pretty smooth to me even with the SE suspention. So, guess I have no issue with that mod.

Interior mod.....had to cover up the scratched silver plastic with the silver carbon interior. Great mod for me and no regrets at all. Ask me years down the road though if it stands up to the sun. Than again, easy enough to remove it and get new stuff if it does not last.

As far as the grill......I hated the stock grill from day one, but loved the rest of the Maxima lines. I knew it would be a cheap and easy mod. Love my billet grill and no regrets.

So far, with every mod I did.....I weighed the outcome before hand. Pros and cons....no regrets. Now with the engine mods, there are not many at this time that are worth it for me that give a substantial HP per $$$ ratio. When and if some come along.....I will jump on them. Just my 2 cents.

Only regret I have about the Maxima was buying it new when I could have gotten a loaded one alot cheaper months later....due to the very low trade in value of the Max. Resale value sucks, but no major gripes. Awsome car.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:32 PM

The only thing I regret is not getting the elite package. I thought I would have been using the back seat more often but, it turns out that I rarely use it. When I do use it I probably only have 2 people in the back anyway.

Other then that I really do not have any regrets with the car. I'm enjoying it as much as the other cars I've previously owned!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
The only thing I regret is not getting the elite package. I thought I would have been using the back seat more often but, it turns out that I rarely use it. When I do use it I probably only have 2 people in the back anyway.

Other then that I really do not have any regrets with the car. I'm enjoying it as much as the other cars I've previously owned!
I'm on the other side... I didn't get the Elite package because I got it off the lot, and I really wanted it because it would make the car more "different" than almost any other sedan out there.

Turns out it would have been a huge mistake... I've used the trunk a million times, and had to fold the seats a lot -- early and often.

I haven't really done any mods other than cosmetic... tints, grille, interior lights and wheels. The biggest "mod" was mounting my Roady with the PAC AAI-NIS. I'm one of those people that will sit there and watch, then pick and choose based on what problems the early adopters have...

I'm glad I followed that route for the Eibach with the people complaining about popping noises...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja

Yep....I feel you, my only regrets are getting better options. I did get the car though early 04 when the dealers were not giving great deals. Would have liked the Nav...leather, elite, stuff like that but these bad boys were expensive. Took the 20" rims and figured I could deal with the stock stereo. But like you said....only regrets were the higher options, even though I was done with leather at the time in the heat. Better for resale.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM

NismoMAx, Carcus get's it.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

I dont have any perrmance mods, but i have no regrets. Stuff breaks, they fixed it, i cant ask for more than that. It performs as advertised to me, and has all the options one would want and then some.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 PM

I'm anti "waste of dollars mods" becuase there are only so many available and someone else did it", this is true. When some decent performance mods become available, if ever... I'll change my tune. Cosmetic stuff, yup, all for it.. you get what you pay for and it's obvious.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Seems most people know what they're getting into and dismiss the cons.
Eibach springs? You sure about that?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Grille is the biggest bank for your buck mod this car has
Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 PM

I regret producing 100 pairs of bitc*hin headlight covers and none of yall bought any...
Old 05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I got nothing to regret............ I have no mods yet..
Old 05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Okiewan
Eibach springs? You sure about that?
that's exactly what i mean. some are still buying them and keeping them on regardless. I hear ya on buying proven claims, bu what about ramberg? he has shown incresed HP and torque from his mods.

yeah no one expected the springs to be noisey, but they new it would stiffen. and anyone that goes with 20+ have to know things will get rough. I don't, I just thought you got your point across putting down each mod already. I get a very pessimistic vibe from you towards performance mods. If you don't like them, fine. Just don't put down others for their work.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 PM

Only regret was not getting the DPP. I want HID's and Leather seats plus the folding mirrors. Little things, other then that no regrets at all. Love my car, love my mods.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 PM

Nismo ...
I get a very pessimistic vibe from you towards performance mods
You're very preceptive for a lad of such limited years. I'm anti waste of money, just like I said above.

But hey, if all you want here is more "oh yeah, buy that it's sweet" without any thought of actual value, that's cool.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 AM

bought the eibachs and heard bad issues so i sold that..now im debating on getting 20's but people from "jersey" where i live are getting there rims bent..hmm..what should i do..
Old 05-03-2005, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Law520
wow we love our cars a little too much.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jayzmax04
I regret producing 100 pairs of bitc*hin headlight covers and none of yall bought any...
i think your product needed a "little" more development !!

Bob
Old 05-03-2005, 02:21 AM

For once i agree with Okiewan for the most part.

However, my rear anti-sway bar packed a lot fo bang for the buck (R.O.I.)

Bob
Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by JPBOSS
Man, you gotta get rid of that pin-stripe. Looks just like my SL except for the rims. Gotta love that Black.
Actually I havent updated my picture. I took the pinstripe off about 2 weeks ago. Does that count as a mod? I couldnt stand that thing. Tinted windows +10hp.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBelle04
i think your product needed a "little" more development !!

Bob
I was waiting for the group deal... Looking forward to the 15hp gain from those custom covers!

Old 05-03-2005, 04:21 PM

No regrets. A few complaints but I'm happy with my purchase. My max is stone stock.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I have zero mods because I am personally not into modding this car but I am happy for those who enjoy it if thats what they want to do.

I have no regrets at all and so far after about 4 months of owning my car I still get excited about getting into it every day and driving to work. For any car to make me enjoy my ride to work is a miracle. So I would buy this car again in second if I had it to do over again.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

Okiewan is the voice of reason in the 6th gen forum...but it dosent take a genius to see all the problems and lack of performance enhancement(or loss) with CAI and springs...It also makes it easier for those without mods to not feel like they are missing out on something great.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
Only regret was not getting the DPP. I want HID's and Leather seats plus the folding mirrors. Little things, other then that no regrets at all. Love my car, love my mods.
Same here....
Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 PM

but it dosent take a genius
THAT my friend I've never claimed.. just an "old" guy that's been building cars for a little longer than I want to admit.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Okie is one of the few people in here in nissans target market, cuz i know im sure not....i really have to say alot of my reasons for this car is because I am too young to be able to afford insurance on a high performance sports coupe, having the maxima makes it more affordable, but at the same time I still like its looks and performance.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:53 AM

I have an intake, eibach springs, tinted windows, subwoofer, and black painted the teeth on my stock grille. I love every bit of it. As for the aftermarket setups, I scrape my mud guards on speed bumps due to the car being lower. However, I cut a slit on both sides so that the flap will fold towards the rear when it needs to then come back to its original shape when over the bump. It's just the scraping noise that bothers me.

The only quality concerns that I have are:
1. Nobody is able to get rid of the shimmy... I've tried all the suggestions on here.
2. Nobody is able to fix the steering... My car pulls slightly to the left.
3. The window motors are NOISY

That's all I can think of right now, although I know that I have a couple more.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 AM

SLuxury.. do you have the Eibach noise issue or no?
I'd REALLY like to lower the car, you all have made me HATE the gap, lol... just don't willing to put up with popping/noises. There are probably a couple of places I'd have to be careful, but I don't think being lower would be an issue in that respect.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM

I'm with Okiewan on wanting the lowering springs but am not willing to sacrifice for loud popping noises on my ride... Two inches lower is not worth the stress I will go through if I start hearing stuff after the install... Anyone have any good experiences with other lowering springs besides the Eibachs???
Old 05-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Regret... I bought the Tornado for my 99 SE-L... and 3 days later I found maximas.org. I felt dumb. Now, I am out of the daek and doing little things to the 00 GLE and nothing yet to the 05 SE. I am thinking of trading in the 00 GLE for something else.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:17 AM
MaxiMiller305

Im happy with my 20's and lowering the car with the eibach springs... whenever my car starts to make a popping sound, i take the car to my friends shop and he fixes it for me, which reminds me i have to go tomorrow morning... i am going to ask him exactly what he does to fix it so that we all can fix this minor problem.

What some dont mention is that the car rides pretty smooth still, and turning especially during the off ramps and on ramps of the highways has improved. The car feels like it grips the ground better, but that may also be due to the goodyear tires, those stock rubbers can go ...........

305 SuckA!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 PM

I regret buying my maxima at Younker Nissan... ARGGHHH
oh, and i also regret not servicing my transmission fluid at correct times... :sigh:

Quick Reply: Got Regrets?