6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Two new Max's, one with problems, one without

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Two new Max's, one with problems, one without

I bought two Max's about 3 1/2 weeks ago, one for the wife and one for me. They were both early production 2005's, but mine has the VDC/TCS package and her's doesn't. Unfortunately, I've got some problems with hers. Just goes to show how two cars off the same assembly line, about 4,000 units apart, can be of different build quality. Her's is now at the dealership because of a wheel shimmy between 45 and 70 and a real pulsating shake when the brakes are applied. Since this is a 2005 I am assuming that the shimmy is a balance problem, but I fear that the brake problem is probaby due to some bad rotors. Mine has no such problems and has been perfect from day one, and, her's, outside of these two problems is also pretty much perfect. I have no misaligned interior or exterior parts and absolutely no rattles in either car. Since the service writer has no idea that I own two of these, it's going to be interesting to see if he tells me that some "shimmy" is normal and the brakes are just fine. If he does, boy is he in for a surprise for trying to blow smoke up my a##. Since I'm really not mechanically inclined like many of you, if it is the rotors, should I accept them being "turned" or should I demand replacements. I think they should be forced to replace them as the car only has 800 miles on it, and, if I allow them to be turned now that would probably preclude me from being able to have them turned again when I needed new brake pads. Just looking for some opinions on how I should handle this with the dealer.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

I think wifey likes it too much and is racing behind your back....
personally, i would demand new brakes, being so new. if they turn them, they will go bad soon again. then they definately should replace them. 800 miles... man that's bad. I would even go so far as asking for credit to buy your own brakes and have them install them. now that is really asking a lot, but if they really want to please you, maybe... i have 2 sets of pads from jason and just ordered my rotors. so if mine go bad in the next few hundred, i'll ask nissan to just install these. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&page=1&pp=40 deal of the century right now.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Interesting, when I first got my max I had the really bad pulsating feeling in the breaks when stopping quickly at high speeds (40~65mph). I was naturally on the forum before I purchased the Max, but the first thing to run through my head was something is wrong. Then I realized that at 500miles there is a lot with the car that has to break in. Motor, Pads, Rotors, Transmission, all that. I gave the car until 1500 ~ 1800 miles to see if the pulsating would stop. Guess what, it did. With your wife only having 800 miles on the car I think it's a little premature to rush to the dealers, unless there is an absolute issue.

Needless to say, most likely the dealer will turn the rotors and not replace them. The issue I have with turned rotors is that you take about 5K ~ 10K miles off the life of them. If they ask what you want to do, I'd take the car back, and say if the issue is still there after the break-in period I'd expect a full replacement. This way you’re showing the service writer that you’re willing to work with them. You make them feel smart (they like that) for identifying the issue (doesn't happen that often), and in the end two things will happen. Either the pulsating will go away on it's own (save turning down the rotor by mill), or you'll (wife) will get new rotors. Be reasonable and entertain the idea that the car is still breaking in.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 AM

It's hard to tell from the first pic, but if it's an 04 SL it would be the 4 speed. If it's an SE it will be the 5 speed. Best way yet, if you have the gate "triptronic" to shift yourself, it's the 5 speed.

Now for my shimmy and pulsating brakes. Being an old guy I've driven many cars over my lifetime and this was not a "break in" issue. As for the shimmy, all four tires were out of balance and were rebalanced by the dealer. The brake pulsation was due to out of spec rotors. You are right, Nissan would not approve replacement, but they were resurfaced to spec. Talked to the mechanic and he said, they weren't out of spec much, so he only had to "shave" a little bit to bring them back to spec. Personally, I think that's BS, because as stated, it takes some life off the rotors every time they are resurfaced. I am going to call Nissan and see if I can get them replaced as this should not happen on a car that only has 600 miles on it. Wife just drove the car to work this AM, so I've got no report yet on the dealer fixes.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by jinsatx
It's hard to tell from the first pic, but if it's an 04 SL it would be the 4 speed. If it's an SE it will be the 5 speed. Best way yet, if you have the gate "triptronic" to shift yourself, it's the 5 speed.
Thanks, it's an 04 SL and it does have the gate to shift in "tiptronic" mode, so I assume its' a 5 speed. Strange most of the pics I saw of 04 SLs had the tranny without the "triptronic" mode...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:41 AM

Soufs,

You must have a late 04 SL. The early 04 SL's had the old 4 speed, all of the later 04's, SE or SL, got the "triptronic" 5 speed. Nissan has a habit of making running gear changes in the middle of a year's production run. Very similar to them making TCS (traction control) standard on 05's built after November 04. I'm sure this has surprised some buyers who bought cars in Jan, Feb, etc. thinking they were getting TCS, but didn't because the car was built before Nov/04 and was in the dealers inventory.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:43 AM

I just had my rotors turned this morning, I only have 16k on my 04 SL. The service manager said they turn them in accordance with the TSB they have. If it happens again I'm going to request a rotor replacement. As a matter of fact they came out and told me after they turned the rotors and replaced a defective hazard switch. I din't even get a chance to request new rotors, they made the decision for me, I hate stealerships.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by jinsatx
Soufs,

You must have a late 04 SL. The early 04 SL's had the old 4 speed, all of the later 04's, SE or SL, got the "triptronic" 5 speed. Nissan has a habit of making running gear changes in the middle of a year's production run. Very similar to them making TCS (traction control) standard on 05's built after November 04. I'm sure this has surprised some buyers who bought cars in Jan, Feb, etc. thinking they were getting TCS, but didn't because the car was built before Nov/04 and was in the dealers inventory.
Thanks, strange though on the sticker in the driver door it was dated 04/04
Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 AM

Soufs,

The 04 Max was released in mid 03 and only the early 04's had the 4sp automatic. I'm sure by 04/04, which was almost at the end of the 04 build year, they had switched to the 5sp.