6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

It's August, when are the 2006s coming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 PM

Mike_TX probably right-on. Lighted controls on the steering wheel, Bluetooth availability, factory-installed satellite radio availability, a few front end and rear end facia tweaks, probably a new color, possibly a token HP increase just to match the competition (maybe no more than 10) and hopefully, a tire pressure indicator system (this is required by 2007).

That is about all I am expecting outwardly with the '06.

Unseen (but important), I expect the '06 to be shimmy-free and have solid struts. Fixes for other glitches would be most appreciated, but Nissan absolutely MUST put the shimmy and strut issues to rest, as drivability has long been perhaps the Maxima's strongest suit.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nastieeee.......

Damm good thing I own a Maxima ....lol

Originally Posted by eLMo
IMO the Teanna is ugly, sorry to whoever owns it.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:45 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I've just read this thread all the way through, and I think some of you guys are smoking something other than Luckies.

The Maxima is an under-$30k base-price car, and if you're looking for it to sprout backup cameras and AWD and rain-sensing wipers and all that other "luxury car" stuff, all I can say is don't hold your breath. Like it or not, Nissan's upscale brand is Infiniti, and the cooler stuff will likely show up there first since Infinitis can bring a higher price to pay for them. The Max is a great car (I love mine), but it's just not destined to be a cutting edge, near-luxury car. To add that stuff would make it break out of its segment and become competition for Nissan's own Infiniti division. Ain't gonna happen.

I have a 2006 Infiniti M45, and I can tell you even it (at $52,500 list) doesn't have rain-sensing wipers. It doesn't even have HID high-beams for that matter. Now, it DOES have a raft of sweet features, and I love it to pieces, but I'm not about to expect my Maxima to become an M45.

In fact, I think it's also too much to expect a meaningful horsepower bump. The current design just can't handle much more hp than the 265 we now have. Torque steer is enough of a bear as it is, and unless they just do a meaningless hp increase without a corresponding torque increase, expect it to stay the same until the next major redesign. Since torque is what shoves you back in the seat, I don't even want a hp increase without more torque ... I'll let Honda play that silly game.

The Max is a very solid contender as it is, and I don't expect anything but minor cosmetic changes between now and the next generation.

Just my opinion.
Well put, but rain sensing wipers, where not talking about cutting edge technology, pretty standard equipment in most Mid priced GM models, came standard in my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ in November of 2002 when purchased. Anyway, still agree with mostly all your points... PEACE
Old 08-15-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Well put, but rain sensing wipers, where not talking about cutting edge technology, pretty standard equipment in most Mid priced GM models, came standard in my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ in November of 2002 when purchased. Anyway, still agree with mostly all your points... PEACE
LOL. Hope I didn't seem pee-o'ed with that post.

There was a fair amount of discussion on the M forums about the lack of rain-sensing wipers ... some people thought it was almost criminal that Infiniti didn't throw them in for this lux model. Then someone posted that they were like an $800 option on Bimmers just a couple years back, and that they aren't really a "cheap" accessory. Raising the price of these cars $800 - or even $500 - would have given the marketing guys acid reflux, so we concluded it's probably something they'll work in later in the cycle.

There was also a lot of talk about whether people even liked their r-s wipers. I've had them on a couple of cars, and my wife's current car has them, too. I can take 'em or leave 'em. They aren't foolproof, and I've always had to intervene at some point and "help them out". But I guess that's another topic to beat around in another thread ...
Old 08-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Actually for me, no major changes is a good thing buying a 2004 new at sticker. Always sucks to buy a new car and than MAJOR changes come....you kinda feel ripped off. The illuminated steering wheel controls seem nice, but after using mine all the time, I kinda know where to click by feel. Wish there would have been a HP increase, or anniv. model, but seems like the Maxima was left out in the cold. At least they could have changed the grill...bluetooth is really not a big thing to me. Any words if the stereo will FINALLY play MP3? No different rims......kinda weird. I imagine a redesign in 2008.....

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:42 PM

http://www.infinitinews.com/nissan/n...16020219.shtml

Maxima

The 2006 Nissan Maxima continues to offer an unmatched blend of performance and luxury. The sixth generation Maxima combines traditional Maxima performance with expressive sports styling and bold innovation to create a top-of-the-line sports sedan. An aggressive exterior design captures the characteristics of a performance car and a luxury sedan all in one, while a standard, segment-first SkyView™ glass-paneled roof creates an open interior environment for front and rear passengers. Maxima receives minor enhancements for 2006.

Enhancements to the 2006 Maxima include:
· Available factory installed satellite radio
· Illuminated steering wheel switches
· Available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
· Available outside mirror auto-tilt down in reverse
· Improved navigation Graphic User Interface (GUI)
Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
The "Other" project

Just a quick up, when dropping my car off.......yet again......LOL The service manager said that he was not expecting any 06 max's until September
Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey dave, thats a possibility...

but can it also be that your dealership might have a lot of 05's left so they didnt order any 06 s yet?

I guess we'll keep on waiting
Old 08-16-2005, 09:15 PM

dave - I spent two hours at my dealer today. I had a routine oil change, plus I wandered the lot for over an hour and chatted with several service/sales folks. Also checked out several customer's 6th gens in for service. Saw several interesting sets of stripes. Different folks put them on different ways. The only thing unloaded today was a shipment of eight Kias.

The owner's nephew (he is also a long time employee) said they ordered '06 Maximas last month, and were expecting a shipment 'any day'.

His words do not necessarily conflict with your dealer's words. Maybe (as PaL suggested), your dealer did not order right away. Or maybe my source was expecting the normal 'order-arrive' turnaround time, but Nissan isn't quite ready to ship the '06 Maximas yet.

One thing listed as new for the '06 Maxima in geo1317's list above was 'Available outside mirror auto tilt-down in reverse'. I would guess the word 'available' in this instance means it will be part of the 'driver preferred' package. My son has this on his TL Type 'S', and loves it.

I will continue to check my dealer's lot every day or two. I guarantee the '06s will arrive before the first snow here.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:19 AM

Yeah, Nissan is still listing the 2005 on it's webpage. Would they only update this when they start to actually ship them?
Old 08-17-2005, 06:19 AM

I have heard that the 2006 will have some rear suspension parts from the Altima SE-R to help with the rear vibration issues and sensitivity to higher RFV tires. As has been mentioned before, from 04-05 the steering rack changed and from 05-06 it appears the rear is changing. That "should" mean an end to the shimmies/vibration.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:38 AM

I think I saw a 2006 Max. It had the satellite radio antenna on the roof near the back window. No big deal. They still look the same.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Z

Yep. Looks like nothing's changing for the Max. Shame. They finally changed the Murano...I'm curious to see the new 350Z.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:02 AM
Z

Old 08-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Z

Old 08-17-2005, 03:14 PM
The "Other" project

Yea, I had asked just because if mine does not get fixed this time a replacement may be in my future. He had told me that they had just received the ne altima's last friday. Pal & Light are probably right about about the order thing. One other thing, I have a "source" very close to the max production line and he was very short and tight lipped when I asked about any changes with the max, don't know if that means anything or not
Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 PM

I suspect the 06 maxima will be a short run Max, much like the 04 Altima was. I expect a revamped version of the Max by spring of 06 featured as an 07 model... You can quote me later on this one
Old 08-17-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by daves04smoke
One other thing, I have a "source" very close to the max production line and he was very short and tight lipped when I asked about any changes with the max, don't know if that means anything or not
I am hearing that production on the Maxima is being bumped up (increased) very soon from my sources.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

That notch on the bottom lip of the new 350Z looks like the max with the grille removed.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by idnumber1
I suspect the 06 maxima will be a short run Max, much like the 04 Altima was. I expect a revamped version of the Max by spring of 06 featured as an 07 model... You can quote me later on this one
Sounds like someone is holding out on some info, but I guess it's cool. So what else is going on in Gardena, CA?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM

Monotaur - IIRC, it was just after Labor Day last year when Nissan updated their site to show the '05s.

But my dealer had an '05 Maxima on hand on August 8th, and had 16 '05s on his back lot by Aug 22. So the Nissan site trailed the actual delivery of the new Maximas by almost a month last year.

We can't let that mean anything, however; The only thing we know for absolute certainty about Nissan is that they are unpredictable and inconsistent in most things. But they do make a mean car.

p.s. - Checked my dealer again today; nada.