6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

VDC –v- Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VDC –v- Dyno

Hi all, just took my motor to get a dyno done on it and they guys there said they could not do it because the VDC keeps cutting in even when it is turned off. It gets to about 180hp at the wheels then dies...

They said this was quite common on Mercs and BMW as the car is smart and knows that the rear wheels are not turning so it puts the brakes on the front wheel after a bit.

They stated that there is a way of tricking the VDC, so anybody who has had their Maxima dynoed please advise, what the trick is.

Thanks in anticipation
Old 06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not me but I punched the gas today with the VDC on and the car left a patch of rubber. Maybe we should switch. Hehe.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:28 PM

Sounds like someone feed you a line. From what I can tell there is nothing on the Max that can gauge tire rotation speed coming from the rear tires. Fact is speed of a car is normally determined in the gearbox. Makes no sense... Just look at your rear wheel. Lets take some inventory: Rotor with e-brake inside - check, Caliper - check, and 2 brake lines (cable and hydraulic) - check. Don't recall seeing any wire harness or a Speedo module... phooey I say!

However, unless the car is equipped with 4 wheel drive, all-wheel drive features this can be a problem. In some of the higher end car line there is a traction control system that will apply braking pressure to stabilize the vehicle through turns. I’m pretty sure this isn’t a feature the Maxima offers.

Nissan traction control us suppose to keep the wheels from spinning in snow, rain, sleet, loose grave… The idea is to maximize the efficiency of traction, and I honestly believe this is done where Torque is being delivered to. In this case both front wheels.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Vdc

Originally Posted by Maxium
Sounds like someone feed you a line. From what I can tell there is nothing on the Max that can gauge tire rotation speed coming from the rear tires. Fact is speed of a car is normally determined in the gearbox. Makes no sense... Just look at your rear wheel. Lets take some inventory: Rotor with e-brake inside - check, Caliper - check, and 2 brake lines (cable and hydraulic) - check. Don't recall seeing any wire harness or a Speedo module... phooey I say!

However, unless the car is equipped with 4 wheel drive, all-wheel drive features this can be a problem. In some of the higher end car line there is a traction control system that will apply braking pressure to stabilize the vehicle through turns. I’m pretty sure this isn’t a feature the Maxima offers.

Nissan traction control us suppose to keep the wheels from spinning in snow, rain, sleet, loose grave… The idea is to maximize the efficiency of traction, and I honestly believe this is done where Torque is being delivered to. In this case both front wheels.
Mate, VDC can break any wheel otherwise it would not be able to stop your car from oversteer or understeering that's what it's there for. I am assuming that the US version is not just traction control and is a full VDC system just like Nissan uses all over the world.

Therefor if you can brake any wheel you need to be able to sensor that wheel to know if its going faster or slower then the other wheels on the car.

Mind you I could be totally wrong and you guys have a totally different system to the non US version .. but i am sure other posters will apraise us..
Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 PM

If the VDC system is turned off, I don't understand how it could affect the dyno test. When turned off, it should not be operating in any way. If VDC affects the dyno test, it has to be because some physical component of the VDC interferes with the dyno test, even if VDC is off.

The VDC on the 6th gen Maxima is a normal stability control system, hence can brake any one of the four wheels as it feels necessary in order to maintain/regain control of the vehicle. VDC can also add power to the drive (front) wheels as it feels the need.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:05 PM

not quite

Well that is what I thought , but apparently it is not the case, the Nissan System like the ones on Mercedes Benz and BMW and a number of other high end cars is idiot proof eg. is someone accidently hits the off button it will go off unless the car thinks that the car thinks the situation is so serious that it should turn itself back on. This way nissan will not get sued in the event of a serious accident. It is also a back up in case of system failure, it goes into some sort of default mode when the wheel speed is at an (x) factor.

I watched the Dyno guys doing it and as soon as it hit 180hp it hit the brakes then went down to about 100hp then it went back to 180hp and just kept doing that for the duration.

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
If the VDC system is turned off, I don't understand how it could affect the dyno test. When turned off, it should not be operating in any way. If VDC affects the dyno test, it has to be because some physical component of the VDC interferes with the dyno test, even if VDC is off.

The VDC on the 6th gen Maxima is a normal stability control system, hence can brake any one of the four wheels as it feels necessary in order to maintain/regain control of the vehicle. VDC can also add power to the drive (front) wheels as it feels the need.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Newbie just Registered

This is interesting that your VDC is different than ours. I wonder what else is different. Your car seems to have more options than ours too. What would be an equivilent BMW, price wise, to your car?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:11 AM

318s

Originally Posted by RHMax
This is interesting that your VDC is different than ours. I wonder what else is different. Your car seems to have more options than ours too. What would be an equivilent BMW, price wise, to your car?

You can only just get into a 3 series here for the price of mine...

318s to 330 = $48k-$85k
5 series = $75k +
6 Series = $130 +

All Aussie $$$

Mercs and BMWs are still right up there over here ...price wise ...
My missus has a 320 and it has been no end of grief..
My last car was a 2004 C class Merc and belive it or not I like my Max better..
lot more beans .. and other then a few electronic gizmos and better handling the Max beats it has down for power , room and comfort.
Mind we are compairing a Supercharged 1.8lt -v- 3.5 v6 .. I looked at a merc first and I could not bring myself to justify over $45 grand in price on a value for money deal ...

And you dont get to play with and modify mercs unless you spend serious money .... and it's not easy to muck about with them.

Umm still awaiting anybody who has had a Dyno on their max with the VDC option fitted ... this question is killing me ... come on fess up fella's ... I can't belive that Nissan VDC would be that different for various markets , don't make economic rationalisation. .. even my centre screen is the same as yours except they programme it to leave the Passenger & Driver part out becuse they are on the wrong sides.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Newbie just Registered

It could be a Government regulation thing on the VDC. Could the Aussie dealers verify this issue?

Slight off-topic of VDC.

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
You can only just get into a 3 series here for the price of mine...

318s to 330 = $48k-$85k
5 series = $75k +
6 Series = $130 +

All Aussie $$$
About the same here, the BMW 325 and Merc C Kompressor were my other choices in same price range, same reasons as you, I chose the Max again.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Cannot belive

Hi all I simply cannot belive that nobody has had a dyno done on a car with VDC ???????

Yes I tried the dyno forum and it's rather alseep over there ...