6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Map Light problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 AM

Map Light problem

Just the other day when I got to work I noticed that the drivers side Map light was out. I swear when I got into the car it came on. Anyways, when I got back home I took the plastic off and took out the bulb thinking the filament was bad, but it wasnt. So I took out the other bulb on the passenger side and put it in the drivers side and it still didnt work. So I took the drivers side bulb and put it in the passengers side and it worked just fine.

Anyone know what this is ? There is a metal bracket that holds the bulb and that is attached to some black plastic piece. When you tug on that, it moves around and I dont want to tug to hard and snap the bracket. Anybody else have this problem? I'm not going to worry about it right now till I take my Max in for it's first check up..it's a 05 SE with a moonroof and it only has 1800 miles.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem before I deal with the a'holes at the dealership.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 AM
GrandPa

I have not have had that problem but don't mess with it. Go right to the dealer. It should be a minor problem. Good luck with your new ride and welcome to the org. Later Warren

Old 07-13-2005, 04:46 AM
SuPeRmOd

did you push the on button you never know if so yeah, dealer time.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

First I heard of also, does it have a harness clip that may be loose that is disconnected IOT remove the light, put the bulb back in and wiggle the wire, also try and turn on the cabin lights manually to see if all come on, then check it by opening and closing the door in the event it may be a door switch. Again, not sure, however I'm fishing...
Old 07-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I pushed the on button, all the lights in the cabin came on but the drivers side

I never saw a wire or anything inside the light area. It looks like a silver bracket that holds the bulb that is attached to some black plastic thing that looks like a circuit board but is not.

LIke I said, I"ll just take it to the dealer when I need some maintanence work, no way will I go without my Max for a day when all I need is my map light fixed!

THanks for the responses
Old 07-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Hey take it to the dealer, besides this is what we pay them for..I woould have them address it at the next oil change..
Old 07-13-2005, 05:08 PM

klatoo - And in answer to your add-on question, no, I don't recall seeing anybody else mention this problem for the 6th gen. At least not in the last two years that I have been reading here.

I am assuming you know these lights are controlled by three sets of switches.

The first set is the main one between the two map lights that has three settings: the first setting is both map lights off always; the second setting is for both map lights to be on/off depending on eight combinations of door openings/closings interrelated with other actions, such as putting the key in the ignition; and the third setting is both map lights on until you turn them off. Nothing in this set can control one individual map light.

The second switch is a set of four; one in each doorjamb to detect the opening/closing of the doors. Nothing in this set can control one individual map light.

The third switch is a set of two, one near each map light, so that an individual map light can be turned on or off.

The problem has to be in either the left-most of that third set of switches, or in the wiring/bulb socket associated with that left switch/left map light. Period.

All other switches and wiring apply to both map lights equally, and since one light works, they are all fine.