6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Brake hums

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Newbie just Registered

Brake hums

I was driving back yesterday with 2 other people in my car, and the weather was hot, about 100 degrees. I had my radio off because we were talking. Anyway, as we were hitting traffic, I step on the brake somewhat hard several times and I noticed the hums. It tough to make out whether it's the front or rear, but the steering wheel doesn't shake, so it's probably not the front rotors. Could it be the rear rotors or pads? The harder I brake, the louder it hums (could be a grinding sound). Anyone experienced this issue?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:15 AM

sounds like you need new pads.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by maxmale
BTW, I just hit 5k miles yesterday. Could it be the 5k curse?????
Old 07-13-2005, 11:41 AM
SuPeRmOd

if you brake hard enough, it could be the ABS.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by maxmale
Mine does the same thing so it cant be the pads. Probably is the ABS but mine does it alot.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 PM

What do you mean by stepping on the breaks? Did you slam on, gently apply, or ride the breaks to a slow.

Because of the large surface of the rotors they will hum if a lot of force is not being applied to the surface. Sort of like a pitch fork would if you hit it against a table then gently grabbed the fork with your fingers. The pitch fork will still hum and resonate a wavelength that sounds dull. Ever rub a wet finger over the rim of glass of water? hum... sort of the same concept, esp if the brakes are wet.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Glude
Mine does the same thing so it cant be the pads. Probably is the ABS but mine does it alot.
All pads looks new. It's not the ABS, but the faster the car speed is the louder it get when brake nornally!?

Originally Posted by Maxium
What do you mean by stepping on the breaks? Did you slam on, gently apply, or ride the breaks to a slow.
No noise out side of car, just inside. Is this a freebie work, or the stealer'd want some cash?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Newbie just Registered

Nissan Customer not Care informed me that if the dealer choose to turn rotors, that'll cost me. However, if they choose to replace them out of the goodness of their hearts, it's under waranty. Hmm.... I'm taking bets. 2 to 1 I's gots ta pay.

Edit:
Not 2 minutes since I posted this reply, Vivian, from Nissan Customer Care, called me back. Ahhh Vivian, o Vivian. She cares about me. She said since the car has such low miles, they will cover all costs of repair under basic coverage.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RHMax
Nissan Customer not Care informed me that if the dealer choose to turn rotors, that'll cost me....
Edit:
Not 2 minutes since I posted this reply, Vivian, from Nissan Customer Care, called me back. Ahhh Vivian, o Vivian. She cares about me. She said since the car has such low miles, they will cover all costs of repair under basic coverage.

are you serious? they can charge you for turning the rotors even if you have
5k miles?
I know it's all depend on the dealers, I took my gf's eclipse when it had 35k
miles on it and they turned the rotors for free. even Mitsu do it for free!
i'm gonna get my rotors turned tomorrow, i have 27k miles and i hope they
don't charge me...
Old 07-13-2005, 04:57 PM

Take it to the dealer, have them replace the rotors and check the ABS system...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
SuPeRmOd

(sigh) brakes are a wear item never covered under any warranty.
yet, Nissan (always putting out cheap rotors) works with customers by doing courtesy turns and sometimes replacements w/in 16k miles. Some are obviously nicer than others. Some like to take money willingly handed to them, others are interested in your satisfaction, some may just be busy and if you insist at the moment, they insist you pay. All depends.
Remember like wipers, not a warranty item.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
(sigh) brakes are a wear item never covered under any warranty.
yet, Nissan (always putting out cheap rotors) works with customers by doing courtesy turns and sometimes replacements w/in 16k miles. Some are obviously nicer than others. Some like to take money willingly handed to them, others are interested in your satisfaction, some may just be busy and if you insist at the moment, they insist you pay. All depends.
Remember like wipers, not a warranty item.
I know it depends on dealership, and Nissan rep. I just thought to cover myself, call customer care first and put in a complain, then go to the dealer. I'll let you guys know if the dealer give any problems before I mentioned costomer care.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by RHMax
I know it depends on dealership, and Nissan rep. I just thought to cover myself, call customer care first and put in a complain, then go to the dealer. I'll let you guys know if the dealer give any problems before I mentioned costomer care.
sounds good. just know my mini-rant wasn't at all directed at you. just a general tid-bit of info.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
sounds good. just know my mini-rant wasn't at all directed at you. just a general tid-bit of info.
Didn't take it personally. It's tough to get the real intention of person when you're reading a post, unless they spell in out.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Newbie just Registered

I got a free car wash! They "DEGLAZED" my rotors and sent me on my way. I think I need to make another appt soon. I need to take my car to the dealer I bought it from, they have better people in the service department.

edit: The hum is back, new pads seem to be in order.