6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Interior LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:14 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

F-ING SWEET man, you are a mad man with this.... count me in bro, I'm still debating colors though..

you didn't have to fill your tank for the pic......lol
Old 09-16-2005, 06:46 PM
gec

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
F-ING SWEET man, you are a mad man with this.... count me in bro, I'm still debating colors though..
Being honest --- the gauges sucked to do...I mean a complete pain in the azz.......thinking red for you or whatever color you decide in 2 tone....

Old 09-16-2005, 06:50 PM

I like how the red needles look on the blue Gec.. the red might make the needles look like they are not there prob..

they look clear as hell... I like it alot..
Old 09-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

UMMM that's Making me very Hard

OOOOoooo that is nice ..very nice ...

I have gotta do this ... and soon... I might even have to buy a one out of a wreck and send it over ....

Hot as Gec .. you the man...
Old 09-16-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by gec
Part 2 has commenced

Dome - Map - Floor Lights

Just installed new console light.(the little slit one) with blue led. 1000 percent better. awesome blue glow now that lights up the center console just enough to see what u need in the dark. not too bright. thanks Gec for the info.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by gec
Being honest --- the gauges sucked to do...I mean a complete pain in the azz.......thinking red for you or whatever color you decide in 2 tone....

That is so cool, one of the best mods I've ever laid eyes on. Good Job Gec!!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:44 PM
gec

I like how the red needles look on the blue Gec.. the red might make the needles look like they are not there prob..

they look clear as hell... I like it alot..
Whats up bud...ya know really with the gauges its a whole new story...Looking back over the last few weeks the sceen and the dash were a piece of cake compared to this cluster....There are so many other factors to consider with the design and how the lights disperse.... almost every color blue comes out purple...even this one you can see has purple tinge off the reflection.... We literally tried 10 blues and worked countless hours on modifying, creating, different plastics behind the cluster in addition to the oem board just being tight and tough to work in.... We're still not there and I'm still not satisfied with the outcome....we're gonna work on it this weekend some more and hopefully fine-tune the colors and the process in which to do it ... It looks good now, but it could be better imo...and its a sh*% loada work...So with that said the plan right now is to brainstorm a way to get this quality without killing ourselves...but most importantly so we can do everyone elses car...cuz as it stands now its too much of a headache to do the gauges in bulk....so as the weekend goes I'm sure I'll have more pics to post and hopefully we can nail down something that is affordable for everybody

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
OOOOoooo that is nice ..very nice ...

I have gotta do this ... and soon... I might even have to buy a one out of a wreck and send it over ....

aawwwww....I was really hoping to go on vaca

Originally Posted by spoon787
Just installed new console light.(the little slit one) with blue led. 1000 percent better. awesome blue glow now that lights up the center console just enough to see what u need in the dark. not too bright. thanks Gec for the info.
Your most welcome buddy --- now using the same bulb replace the shifter so the blues glow nice together...here is a pic...look at the shifter...you'll see how that console light is shining down on it

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
That is so cool, one of the best mods I've ever laid eyes on. Good Job Gec!!
Thanx Brutha --- can't wait till you let me tackle that pathfinder

Old 09-17-2005, 12:30 AM

i liked how your dash looks but the gauges is a whole different story.

It makes me want to change the LEDs right NOW...looks great
Old 09-17-2005, 02:17 AM
GrandPa

Looking hot.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:42 AM

This is the first time i've come acrossed this thread, but by god it looks sick. If i had the patience and time i'd love it. But then again i don't tackle things myself, i still have parts that have been waiting to be installed for months. But either way great job on the whole project.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:19 PM
GrandPa

All your hard work will pay off in the end.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:54 PM

I'll buy a set whenever someone mass produces it.....
Old 09-17-2005, 06:11 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by gec

hot damn! looks amazing, gec.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:13 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

That is the best looking mod that I have seen without buying the reverse glow gauges. They look cheap to me. That has a custom look to it. You guys could be rich if you can do these mass production. I'm in line just give me the price. Excellent work all the way. I like the gauges even with a slight purple tint it still beats that amber look on the stock gauges. Let me know when you are ready to start taking orders.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:52 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Dayummmmm....... that **** is lookin so hot keep up the good work
Old 09-17-2005, 09:57 PM

hey gec was there any sodering involved anywhere? And is it possible to get a complete list of the bulbs used for all the diffrent areas that would make this a easier how to for us all. Thanks man and great work again, im flabbergausted or/we lol
Old 09-17-2005, 11:08 PM
gec

Originally Posted by ohthatshot
i liked how your dash looks but the gauges is a whole different story.

It makes me want to change the LEDs right NOW...looks great

Whats Up Buddy --- thanks....hopefully we can finish everything this weekend and get a price out to you so you can do just that...

Originally Posted by ramberg
All your hard work will pay off in the end.
Hope so --- Lookin forward to the NY click coming up

Originally Posted by kdejour
Let me know when you are ready to start taking orders.
I sure will my friend

Originally Posted by install30
I'll buy a set whenever someone mass produces it.....
Didn't forget about your double din question...lol....PM me and I'll give up the secret

Originally Posted by Spoolin
hey gec was there any sodering involved anywhere? And is it possible to get a complete list of the bulbs used for all the diffrent areas that would make this a easier how to for us all. Thanks man and great work again, im flabbergausted or/we lol
Whats up Spoolin,

Yes, whenever mounting LED's there is soldering involved. Let me address the next 2 questions this way... Unlike the previous generations, this one is completely different. The other gener's down below us think they know it all, cuz they can do a bit of soldering, and wrote a how to ---so let me explain their process.

Lets say we have a board that has just 2 led's on it... These of course come from the factory form fitted as a SURFACE MOUNT LED... Hold on a minute cuz I'm laughing at their hack job process before I even type it.......k I'm back --- these SML's are tiny.. ... this is what 2 diff size Surface Mount LED looks like

This is what they replace FACTORY SURFACE MOUNTED LED'S WITH

What they do is cut the wires short and solder on the above cheap LED BULB that costs pennies...literally --- heres a visual for you...

This is how a board may look factory

This is what it looks like after installing one with a junk bulb

Nice and clean huh??? look at that --- that’s crazy --- just soldered it right ontop of the surface mount…….I mean its screaming please oh please let me someday have a fire....Granted it works and I'm not saying every car done like that with just a few bulbs being replace will result in something disastrous, but personally I'm not gonna bet that I'm the one guy it doesn't happen to....Now on the older models you had maybe 10 -20 the entire car --- so far they're gettin away with it ---however our generation has close to 150...can you imagine!!!!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say in all this is --- the modification here isn't just a couple of bulbs that we can easily write up a how to on it... Not to mention I've worked exhaustively on this project not just doing it, but also perfecting a system that directly mirrors the factory specifications...and to duplicate that process effectively on other peoples cars... It would take me a week to write out a thesis on everything we've learned --- from tips & tricks to do's - don'ts - and the definately nots --- and finally, I would be giving up all my know how and invite others to just stroll in the park and easily become my competitor...

Which I'm sure eventually will come along anyway, but it'll be one of the 5 gener heros that took a soldering class in shop his last year in high school and he'll most likely not research this modification thoroughly or test 2 dozen different brands, makes, and sizes.... but hey using bulbs that cost 5 cents a piece he'd be able to do your whole car for $10,,,,

Spoolin don't take that the wrong way.... I'm glad you posted the question so I could (1) educate the rest of the guys in here, whether they go with me or not, to understand a little better what to look for if they go elsewhere for the mod and (2) so I could vent a little --- they're ignorance irritated me the other day... ..

Old 09-17-2005, 11:59 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

yo man thats insane how small they are and there's 150+ holy **** your eyes must be buggin out just looking at them for too long nevermind the process of installation great job keep up the great work
Old 09-18-2005, 07:45 AM

One Word "wow"
Old 09-18-2005, 09:41 AM

Oh Gec I didnt know that you were selling your services for this upgrade, I thought you were just a owner that was modding. I fully understand that you dont want everyone to follow your footsteps as a fien, and to make it too easy for everyone to do this mod. I have skills in all types of sodering and circuit board work , I just wanted a list of the bulbs. Id PM you but im not allowed yet . Thank you very much for summing up the 2 options you have.. Now i have to think $10 and melted leather orrrr roughly $600 for perfection, well i spent $33,000 for my max i think I can stretch the 600 Gec try to PM me will ya. Later
Old 09-18-2005, 03:57 PM

Here's my FIRST upgrade to my baby Max... LED in the center roof console:

Very easy if you follow GEC's instructions and received the LEDs from superbrightleds.com ... Very good place- quick and well packaged.. ordered my 4 roof dome lights (leds) from them- will show pics when done!

Old 09-18-2005, 04:32 PM
gec

Originally Posted by MAXDOUT04
yo man thats insane how small they are and there's 150+ holy **** your eyes must be buggin out just looking at them for too long nevermind the process of installation great job keep up the great work
Brooklyn in the house...lol... yeah need real good lighting...gonna have to come up for the day with the rest of the NYC crew

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Oh Gec I didnt know that you were selling your services for this upgrade, I thought you were just a owner that was modding. I fully understand that you dont want everyone to follow your footsteps as a fien, and to make it too easy for everyone to do this mod. I have skills in all types of sodering and circuit board work , I just wanted a list of the bulbs. Id PM you but im not allowed yet . Thank you very much for summing up the 2 options you have.. Now i have to think $10 and melted leather orrrr roughly $600 for perfection, well i spent $33,000 for my max i think I can stretch the 600 Gec try to PM me will ya. Later
Whats up brother man --- hurry up and get 15 posts under your belt already....lol...... cool if we do well I'll have to hire ya

Originally Posted by jrzymuscle21
Very easy if you follow GEC's instructions and received the LEDs from superbrightleds.com ... Very good place- quick and well packaged.. ordered my 4 roof dome lights (leds) from them- will show pics when done!
Niceeee --- glad I could help ya bro --- now we're gonna have to change out those orange lights for ya --- the 4 dome lights are festoon bulbs and are easy to install --- let me know if ya need anything

Old 09-18-2005, 06:04 PM

Working on it +1 *****es
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
gec

you're there now...pm'd ya

Well I've finished and diminished the purple tinit off the glass, but I gotta say that I kinda liked it better with it...Call me crazy but we did purple gauges and it was off the chain ---- Also - did the ignition switch --- I'm gonna snap some more pics tonight or tomorrow and put together an offer package for everyone....

Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sweet setup. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 PM

PHAT! we'll have to see about doing my leds... just switched out my dome lights and map lights today.. looks hot
Old 09-22-2005, 08:25 AM
gec

Sorry fellas --- I shoulda known better --- The offer thread has been moved to the classified section

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430444

Old 09-23-2005, 08:18 PM

MAN I LOVE THIS!!!!! I gotta get this done to my new MAX!! I love to recieve instructions gec. I sent you an email from artistic33@hotmail.com. I love modding my vehicle, and i cant wait to start this one... Please let me know what i need to do.. I live in the Dallas TX area, and i wish there weere more people here to bring you down.. Thanks, and ill talk to you later... Myk...
Old 09-23-2005, 10:09 PM

Ok you are the ****ing man. I love all your interior mods. I love how the aftermarket screen matches also. Why didn't you change the light on the guages that tell you how fast you go. Make them white or something. The red doesn't match lolol. Don't wanna be an ***. Maybe it's to hard to change but just one suggestion.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:45 PM
gec

What a great response we've had to this mod -- thank you -- got a couple random shots for you to include a look at the screen - purple gauges - and Tek stopped by on his way through RI -- so a shot of me n him

Old 09-25-2005, 02:27 AM

thanks for the PM... SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=gec]

Nice. Tek is a cool guy. Was he just driving thru are does he have a surprise for us? lol
Old 09-25-2005, 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=ramberg]
Originally Posted by gec

Nice. Tek is a cool guy. Was he just driving thru are does he have a surprise for us? lol
no warren, i don't have a surprice... I was just on my way to that wedding in RI and i called Gec on the way and we met up..

I saw the led upgrade in person and all, but didn't get anything done... I will roll up with you to do that so let me know when you are set for OCT..
Old 09-26-2005, 08:01 AM
GrandPa

no warren, i don't have a surprice... I was just on my way to that wedding in RI and i called Gec on the way and we met up..

I saw the led upgrade in person and all, but didn't get anything done... I will roll up with you to do that so let me know when you are set for OCT..
Ok I will let you know a week before.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 AM
gec

Edited -- see classifieds

Old 09-26-2005, 11:17 AM

LED tail/brake lights. When I did this upgrade I thought they were too dim during the day but recently my mom was following me so I asked her how they looked and she said they seemed fine.

I love LED's and their quick switch on and off. Its fun hitting the alarm a few times to watch them flash.

http://www.doccholliday.com/maxima%20pics/IMG_0204.JPG

The above post was in reference to the couple of posts in this thread regaurding that mod. The link is a pic of my car with LED brake lights. The pic doesn't do it justice.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:11 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by gec
I got Good News - Good News - & Great News.....Whatta ya wanna hear first?

Well today I had a little chat with the manufacturers of the LED's because if I'm ordering hundreds at a time I don't think the price should just drop 10-20 cents.. You agree right???? exactly --- So, after much back and forth over the phone we settled on an agreement purchase of quantity and price, which i turn am going to pass on to all of you.... If you were happy with paying $650 --- then love me cause its now $565... I love you too
Thats great, now I have money for gas.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gec
I got Good News - Good News - & Great News.....Whatta ya wanna hear first?

Well today I had a little chat with the manufacturers of the LED's because if I'm ordering hundreds at a time I don't think the price should just drop 10-20 cents.. You agree right???? exactly --- So, after much back and forth over the phone we settled on an agreement purchase of quantity and price, which i turn am going to pass on to all of you.... If you were happy with paying $650 --- then love me cause its now $565... I love you too
wow thats a awsome price drop..
Old 09-29-2005, 07:22 AM

Price drop is awesome! one of these days when I'm up in that area.. have to get it done..

GEC, do you know what size LED goes in the light under neath of the front dash by the feet? It looked like the same bulb that goes in th center led between the map lights in the front roof console.. let me know!

Good luck and Thanks man
Old 09-29-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jrzymuscle21
GEC, do you know what size LED goes in the light under neath of the front dash by the feet? It looked like the same bulb that goes in th center led between the map lights in the front roof console.. let me know!
When I did mine, I got a set of the same bulbs you use for the license plates from superbrightleds.com... # 168, WLED-6 LED bulb (do a search on their site and you'll find it).

They just pull straight down even if they require a little force... looks pretty good with LEDs in there.

Quick Reply: Interior LED Upgrade