6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

A definitive correlation

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A definitive correlation

It is apparent to me that there is a definitive correlation between brake size and capacity and Hp output in Nissan strategy.

Needless to say it is unlikely that the US Maxima will see increased Hp output in excess of the current yield unless Nissan also decided to upgrade the brakes to at least 350z or G35 specifications.

I base this on historical changes to brakes in line with out put with both the Maxima and more recently the SER Altima.

It popped into my head so I thought I would share.

I am I supported in this hypothesis?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Well the brakes for the 5th gens (5.5th gens anyways) were not up to par, by a long shot. The chronic warping issues illustrate a minor glitch in Nissan's design of the 5.5th gen overall. Without upgrading the OEM brakes to some sort of aftermarket setup, the car doesn't perform to it's full potential. There's plenty of power, but the brake setup leaves A LOT to be desired. I have yet to drive a 6th gen or G35 sedan, but I would hope that Nissan has taken some of that into consideration in their current and future plans for these cars.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Well the brakes for the 5th gens (5.5th gens anyways) were not up to par, by a long shot. The chronic warping issues illustrate a minor glitch in Nissan's design of the 5.5th gen overall. Without upgrading the OEM brakes to some sort of aftermarket setup, the car doesn't perform to it's full potential. There's plenty of power, but the brake setup leaves A LOT to be desired. I have yet to drive a 6th gen or G35 sedan, but I would hope that Nissan has taken some of that into consideration in their current and future plans for these cars.
The OEM rotors are still crap.

Mine warped at 11k miles, if that gives you an indication of how much crap they are.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 AM

my rotors are great and i have just passed 80k. i have upgraded pads but that is it untill i find what i want as far as rotors. but i am happy withthe stopping power.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
It is apparent to me that there is a definitive correlation between brake size and capacity and Hp output in Nissan strategy.

Needless to say it is unlikely that the US Maxima will see increased Hp output in excess of the current yield unless Nissan also decided to upgrade the brakes to at least 350z or G35 specifications.

I base this on historical changes to brakes in line with out put with both the Maxima and more recently the SER Altima.

It popped into my head so I thought I would share. ...
You could be on to something there, but our front brake disks (diameter) are larger than the non Brembo Z's, with the same size rear. We do weigh a few hundred pounds more though. So far, I have no complain about the stopping power.

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
...I am I supported in this hypothesis?
WHAT???
Old 09-19-2005, 12:12 PM

Never understood complaints about brakes in the 6th gen..my original pads lasted 43k and just put new oem ones on and my brakes are better than any car i've owned..no squeaks, stop great....my g-frnd has a audi A6 and my car has held up head and shoulders above it.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by willysmooo
Never understood complaints about brakes in the 6th gen..my original pads lasted 43k and just put new oem ones on and my brakes are better than any car i've owned..no squeaks, stop great....my g-frnd has a audi A6 and my car has held up head and shoulders above it.
Well the complaints are there for a reason... you didn't have any problems with yours but I sure had with mine. 11k and they warped, Nissan resurfaced them under warranty, then they warped again around 25k and had to be replaced. I made the mistake of replacing them with OEM ones at another Nissan dealership, and what do you know, they're warped again at 35k.

I knew they were crap when I saw that the dealership where I bought the car had them covered under warranty for 12k miles. I ordered aftermarket ones from Jason last week and they're going on this weekend. I'll let you know when they wear out...