6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New terminals

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

New terminals

Thanks to Don for the input, and Ramberg for (unknowingly) giving me a few ideas...

I got a set of Stinger HPM terminals off ebay. Positive with the LED display was $36, negative was $20. Figured it was a good deal since it was pricier elsewhere.

But on with the show...

I mounted them this way because I didn't wanna fuss around with the grounding kit (the cable is already at max running under the intake). I might re-do the whole thing and have them face forward, but it's no big deal to me.

Yeah it's dark, sorry... and yeah my engine bay is not the cleanest. You're welcome to grab some rags and come clean it up yourself.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:45 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

looks clean, and that led brings life to the battery.... nice..
Old 10-29-2005, 06:05 PM
GrandPa

Nice. Did you get the RSB installed?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Nice. Did you get the RSB installed?
Nope. Get this...

I get out there, after wrestling with the LIE... I'm running late but I don't care. Get there around 10, and I see the doors are down and there's 3 guys waiting outside -- none of them Jeff or Dan.

Sooo... I stop and grab a cup of coffee from next door, and I start chatting it up with them... They tell me they've been there since 8. Ouch.

So we start talking about the cars (they had a couple of Max's and I think an Evo), and I tell them what's up with mine... like 5 minutes into it this dude shows up (again, neither Jeff nor Dan ) and we tell him the shop is closed.

So he calls Jeff on his cell phone (I guess a friend of his) and eventually we get the story... Jeff was out today, and Dan (who's supposed to have been there) couldn't make it because of a "prior commitment"

Needless to say, I don't care because I was there for 5 minutes... but still it was a trip out there plus gas and tolls. I'm sure the dudes that were out there weren't all that happy... I know I wouldn't be if I was left out in the cold for 2 hours.

Not sure what's up with them... my guess is that they're from nycmaximas perhaps... I'm gonna look around and see if I see any threads about it.

Overall it was alright for me... I like driving anyway, but I still think it was pretty unprofessional. You have 4 guys there that obviously called ahead to be there today to get some work done... I'm just happy I got there late.

On the way back, LIE was closed... the cops were loading up half of a Viper onto a tow truck.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Looks good, wish you had a brighter pic...
Old 10-29-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Looks good, wish you had a brighter pic...
When daylight gets here...

I tried using the flash but the damn things are too shiny... and it would mess up the LED display as well. Tomorrow when it's light out I'll take a couple of more.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:38 PM

Light pic...

Again, the engine bay is dirty... tough luck. Sorry if the picture is not all that clear, I forgot to remove that protective plastic cover that they come with this time around.

I took a page from chernmax's book and "extended" the positive OEM terminal to the new terminal, rather than mess with the car's wiring harness, just in case. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but there's some ugly *** cabling going on there, and I didn't wanna start cutting and mess something up.

That particular HPM terminal has room for one 0 and three 4-gauge wires though, so I suppose in theory it should be possible to cut off the OEM terminal and wire everything to the new one. And I'm positive that I'm not gonna be doing that anytime soon...
Old 10-30-2005, 01:53 PM
大陆弟弟

Can someone tell me what this mod does for the car? Or is pure aesthetics?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:05 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by n3985
Are you kidding, at least .5 more hp. J/K
Old 10-30-2005, 02:06 PM

Ricer math says it adds 14whp.

Seriously though, it's mostly for looks. The OEM terminals look like ***, for one, and they're obviously made of the cheapest crap that Nissan can get away with. These are a solid piece of metal (the whole thing you see is a metal block that attaches to the post), and because of the construction they "supposedly" yield a better current transfer.

The other side of it is practical... the LED will read out current at the battery whenever there's electrical activity in the car (like unlocking the doors, etc), so you can easily see whether or not there's something going on with it. I sure as hell wish I had thought about doing this before my battery went dead right around Grand Central Terminal during rush hour...

But to each his own I suppose... Chernmax has this huge multi-output post made out of like Kryptonite or something, while some other people are just happy with the OEMs (although they're a pain to keep clean of build-up, IMO).
Old 10-30-2005, 02:11 PM
大陆弟弟

Oh OK, I thought it was one of those "voltage stabilizers" on eBay built-in to a terminal at first.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:20 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=viguera]

Very nice and clean except for the engine.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does it read current in amps or just voltage, or both?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=viguera]Ricer math says it adds 14whp.

Seriously though, it's mostly for looks. The OEM terminals look like ***, for one, and they're obviously made of the cheapest crap that Nissan can get away with. These are a solid piece of metal (the whole thing you see is a metal block that attaches to the post), and because of the construction they "supposedly" yield a better current transfer.
QUOTE]

I like em .. can you give us the ebay address to buy them , never seen them before.. well done...
Old 10-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Definitely looks good.....I wouldn't mind getting a set....
Old 10-30-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
I like em .. can you give us the ebay address to buy them , never seen them before.. well done...
Got them from bag-boy -- http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...=STRK:MEWN:SID

Do a search for "Stinger HPM Battery Terminal" and make sure to pick him... he's got the + for $36.95 ($33.95 for gold instead of platinum) and the - for like $20. It's not only cheaper than most other sellers, but he lets you combine items when shipped and he carries most of the Stinger line (in case you don't like the HPMs).

Better yet, combined shipping is like $5 so at least it doesn't feel like he's trying to tack the paypal fees onto you in the shipping...

But look around and see... hell, if you start a thread on the classifieds or audio forums maybe somebody can get you a better deal.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:23 AM
GrandPa

I loved your idea and just had the installed by Chris(chernmax) this weekend at his home in Maryland. I hope they look good aswe knocked down a 1/2 gallon of jack. I don't remember if we did this before or after. lol

Old 11-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is a very sweet battery set up!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
GrandPa

Thank you

Warren
Old 11-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

This mod is right up their with clear sidemarkers... AESTHETICS...

Just like in life, nothing wrong with looking good...
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Hey warren i noticed that you have a on/off switch in there ? whats that for....
Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 PM
GrandPa

Strobe lights installed by chernmax.