6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

how is the BOSE in the 6th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:12 PM

how is the BOSE in the 6th gen.

i tried to search but no luck....it wont let me. i am currently a 1996 maxima owner and my BOSE sounds great! but the G35 i have been looking at, the BOSE is no good and i would assume the Max is the same, but wanted some owners thoughts?

thanks guys
Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go to the dealership and crank it, see how it sounds...

The Bose on my 6th gen is actually much better than the Bose on my MB. I'm currently looking for ways to pump up the bass, but we're limited by the design of the HU. If you want aftermarket then you need a new dash kit and lose the steering wheel and dash controls for the radio/changer, which sucks IMO. I'm thinking of just getting a box in the trunk with an amp for the time being and messing with bigger stuff when the summer comes along.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 PM

As I saw posted here in another thread..."No highs, no lows, must be BOSE".

I thought that was rather clever (by the original poster), and appropriate.

Dan
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 PM

I have it and I love it... much better than the alpines I had in my 4th gen ...
Old 11-28-2005, 11:40 PM

If you are looking for big-time bass, you will be disapointed. If you are happy with a more flat response across the sound range, it works very well. Being older, I no longer look for that heavy bass boom in my music.

Take a CD that you know well to the dealers and try it.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 AM

Being older means you shouldn't allow your music to have voids. A proper sound system doesn't necessarily mean it should "boom". It just means it should leave no voids, as Bose does with highs and lows. I just bought a Dodge Magnum R/T with a Boston Acoustics system that puts the Bose to shame. It's not even funny. I switched out our Bose head unit to a Kenwood navi (but left the speakers stock), and it helped some, but not much. I guess I could switch out the speakers next in the Max, but alas... there's a new king in the garage, and his name is Hemi.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:59 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Minarets
i tried to search but no luck....it wont let me. i am currently a 1996 maxima owner and my BOSE sounds great! but the G35 i have been looking at, the BOSE is no good and i would assume the Max is the same, but wanted some owners thoughts?

thanks guys
You have to be a donating member to search. I have the Bose system and I like it. I added a couple of tweeters up front, a 12" woofer and 1000 watt amp in the trunk.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 AM

i like it alot. It's not a earth quake but it still will shake the car.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:33 AM

well I don't like the bose I test drove a car with it and a car with out it. I bought the car with out the bose. One because I knew I would be going aftermarket anyway. Two the non bose system to me has much better highs and lows. Not so flat. The vocals are a bit more realistic.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think the Bose works great, 8 speaker accoustically tuned with a 330Watt power amp, it's not the greatest, however better than most, plus I'm not looking to shake my teeth filling out...
Old 11-29-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by KUBLKMAX
well I don't like the bose. . . . the non bose system to me has much better highs and lows. Not so flat.
True fidelity means that the sound reproduction is flat -- neither the bass nor the trebel is boosted. That boost is considered "distortion." So saying that the Bose is "flat" means that the reproduction is more true to the original sound. When I was younger, I boosted the hell out of the bass -- and liked it that way. Now I prefer a flatter bass response and no longer boost it.

I understand that younger men like boosted bass -- I was there when I was your age.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 PM
MDS

desmo dude, good comments about music reproduction. I also like your R/T, but guess what, your Maxima is also a HEMI.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:18 PM

I like it ok, I would have bought it without though after having it for a while. I wanna change to something better but I heard theres a lot of rewiring to be done because of each speaker having its own amp. Isnt that how its setup? Anyways it would be nice to seal off the doors and install some 8" subs in em. I know a few members have done it in other gens. Maybe through some good components up front.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:58 PM

i got an 05 max i got the bose it sounds good i also put 2 12 in kicker L7 there 1500 watts each andan 850 watt kicker amp for some more power
Old 11-29-2005, 04:04 PM

never liked bose in maximas...

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
True fidelity means that the sound reproduction is flat -- neither the bass nor the trebel is boosted. That boost is considered "distortion." So saying that the Bose is "flat" means that the reproduction is more true to the original sound. When I was younger, I boosted the hell out of the bass -- and liked it that way. Now I prefer a flatter bass response and no longer boost it.

I understand that younger men like boosted bass -- I was there when I was your age.

gotta love a well balanced setup.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

Bose in the 6th gen is passable for what I would expect from a stock 'premium' radio. Those who know what a real system sounds like in a car know this is a toy, I had an Alpine head, 4 polk speakers, 2 12" in the trunk and it sounded like a concert in my car and the involvement was amazing. Because thats what I was used to, I thought the max had a sucky system, but you get used to it, im pretty happy living with it....plus I didnt wanna take apart a $30,000 car's dash and have dimming headlights anymore, im 23 not 17

As for what would improve the bose...a midrange control. It stunned me when I saw you couldnt adjust the midrange sound, only the bass and treble...you have no control with this radio.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:52 PM

for a factory system it sounds pretty good. no complains here
Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree for a stock system it is pretty good. I wish it had more bass though. It may be a mod for the spring since I have a couple of amps left over from my other vehicle just collecting dust. Then again...most of the time I travel with my 7mo old and I don't want to mess up her hearing.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
SuPeRmOd

I love it. the 2 8's is just enough for me not to install my old 500W 10" that's sitting next to me now. Sirius increases the bass enough for some to think i have a 10 in the trunk.

I hear many new highs I never new exisited in old songs. 5th gens have a bit more bass, but I'm happy.... for now.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 PM

i dunno, but i prefer a nice sounding system that won't distort at high volumes. nothing like the sensation of a good sub making your chest feel every whack of a kickdrum, or a nice set of components to accurately reproduce the instruments in Mozart's symphonies.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just added one 10" woofer to just compensate for a little more bass.....nothing crazy....I'm not trying to go for spl just clean sound....
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 AM

Factory Bose sounds much better than the "Mark Levinson" upgrade in my wife's Lexus GX470. Sound is crisp through about 18 on the volume.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:20 AM

i have the bose and i like it alot, im still debating throwing my 1000 watt amp and my 2 10's in the trunk but i dont know if its even worth it.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:51 PM

Good Evening Everyone!!!.the solution to boostin the bose is to ad JL ausdios new clean sweep.i have it in my max and i have found it very useful
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bikerbeng
I agree for a stock system it is pretty good. I wish it had more bass though. It may be a mod for the spring since I have a couple of amps left over from my other vehicle just collecting dust. Then again...most of the time I travel with my 7mo old and I don't want to mess up her hearing.
Hey biker, just bought an '06 SL as well. One question for you, are the rear speakers behind the backseat the subwoofers? I had someone in the car the other day and they were telling me that the rear speakers arent working but u can feel the bass when ur hand is over the speaker. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:47 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by maxchef
Good Evening Everyone!!!.the solution to boostin the bose is to ad JL ausdios new clean sweep.i have it in my max and i have found it very useful
Hiow hard was the intall?

Warren
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by DexterBoyGenius
Hey biker, just bought an '06 SL as well. One question for you, are the rear speakers behind the backseat the subwoofers? I had someone in the car the other day and they were telling me that the rear speakers arent working but u can feel the bass when ur hand is over the speaker. Thanks for the help.
Press the right radio button and adjust the bass, press again adjust the treble.

If that don't work go directly to dealer.

Warren
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 AM

Ramberg,

Not hard at all, almost like an in line adapter. But takes a little more time. i now have an 8 volt pre out for my jl amps and subs and i can hook up things like an ipod. Very worth while to look into, cant even tell its stock any longer.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Does anyone know how to upload pictures on this site?

Thanks,
maxchef
Old 12-01-2005, 05:45 AM
VIP

It's alright, decent for a stock system. If I want to bang out, I'll get in my 4th gen, if I want to listen to things not super loud, I'll get in the 6th gen.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by maxchef
Ramberg,

Not hard at all, almost like an in line adapter. But takes a little more time. i now have an 8 volt pre out for my jl amps and subs and i can hook up things like an ipod. Very worth while to look into, cant even tell its stock any longer.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Does anyone know how to upload pictures on this site?

Thanks,
maxchef
Thanks

Try photobucket.com its free
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by KUBLKMAX
well I don't like the bose I test drove a car with it and a car with out it. I bought the car with out the bose. One because I knew I would be going aftermarket anyway. Two the non bose system to me has much better highs and lows. Not so flat. The vocals are a bit more realistic.
you are out of your mind, and havent listened to the bose.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
THIS IS...

Agreed. I have bose in my 2001 SE AE and it sounds beautiful.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:08 AM

To my surprise.....the stock system sounds pretty damn good.......nice bass and highs. I'm impressed with it.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Thanks Ramberg!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Hey Ramberg, here is the site to look up that JL piece...www.jlaudio.com
Let me know if i can help.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DexterBoyGenius
Yes, it appears the rear speakers are the bass. I just checked and the music comes from the doors in the front and rear.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I like the bose system in my car it sounds great. I have seen very few premium audio systems that couldn't use a little tweaking hear or there. The balance is great to me. Maybe I'm getting old now but I don't want to wake up the dead with it. I build custom theaters for people atleast four times a year. I go over every possible scenario with them and give the best sound possible. I work hand and hand with myer-emco in my planning. Sound is a matter of personal taste. What may sound bad to you may not be bad to others. The bose system is not perfect but I like the balance that I get from it. It wont blow a girls dress up but it won't dissapoint either. The easiest way to boost sound is to use sound deadening materials in areas around your speakers. If you use aftermarket or factory this will help out a lot. If you get a decibel reader and drive with the windows up and the radio off you would be surprised at how much road noise and wind you would pick up. It is almost like someone talking right next to your ear the whole time you are driving. The thing you do next is turn up the volume to drown out the sound that is when you push your system up and up causing the distortion. That is why you see a lot of companies are offering sound deadning materials. If you want a theater in your car soundproofing is the first stop in getting your system to sound better. If you don't like your system then atleast you have started on the right road to better sound. I tell my clients all the time start with the acoustic insulation and thicker drywall. You don't need all that power if you know how to counter-balance the sound I hope this helps no matter what you do. I will try to make this a write up if allowed. Peace out maxamaniacs.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 PM

I had a an 04 SL and now have an 05 SE and find that the sound in the 05 sounds much better. And I mean much as in 100% improvement. I don't know why...there is much less distortion at higher volume. About 18 - 20 with most music. I listen to everything from Jazz and blues, classic rock to new stuff. I have a pretty amazing sound system at home (THX surround sound) and find that the bose is pretty good, flat with no bass that's boosted and exagerated but pretty good. Let's not forget that most music recorded within the last 15 years or so is mixed to sound good in cars. That's because most commercial music is played on the air (FM RADIO) and has to sound good or people won't buy it. There are a few exceptions and most off the shelf sound systems are not good enough for someone to "hear" the difference. I'm talking about stuff you buy at the big discount stores. Go have a listen to a system at your local store that's not chain and you'll know what I mean. You might not appreciate it or feel the need to spend the money for the difference and even in some cases might not even like it since it will probably be too "revealing" cause of the type of music or recordings you like to listen to. The key here is to be comfortable with what you like.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

It never ceases to amaze me that people keep comparing thier OEM Bose systems to after market units. As if Bose could dictate to Nissan the need to take up a quarter of the trunk with a subwoofer box in order to please a few audiophiles. The navi people would love to give you a ten inch screen and the brake people would love to supply big *** Brembo type calipers on all the wheels. Being a supplier, Bose is limited to what Nissan will let them do or is willing to pay for.

Myself, I like my Bose system. Wish it had a bit more bass at times, but overall a very good system for what it is: a mass produced, factory warrentied system. I use my trunk to full capacity quite a bit, so I'm glad they didn't put a big subwoofer box back there. Those who need to have more bass can easily install an aftermarket one and lose carrying capacity, I'm glad Nissan didn't force that on everybody.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:33 AM

the bose in my 05 max sounds descent. the highs are good and for 6x9's in the back they put out some ok bass.

Quick Reply: how is the BOSE in the 6th gen.