6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Exhuast question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

stupid exhaust question...

Hopefully this won't turn into something like that "which intake" thread...

Simple (exhaust n00b) question... I'm starting to add "real" mods to the car and I'm wondering what I should do about the exhaust...

I'm dropping in a y-pipe on Saturday, but I was planning to wait for that Cattman exhaust that Deus is testing. I don't know how long that's gonna be though, and I'm getting antsy...

What I *do* know is that I don't want a sewer pipe, and I'm really feeling those Magnaflows... so the question is, is it wise to just grab a set of Magnaflow 14816s and have them installed now or something? Is that even feasible or am I looking at having a shop do work now with pipe and a resonator to then have it changed anyway if I decide to go with something like that Cattman?

I know it's stupid, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the "exhaust upgrade path"... the y-pipe seemed to be a pretty simple choice by comparison.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 AM
GrandPa

I know how you feel, its a bi*ch waiting for after market parts. The OEM exhaust system has this big a*s resonator and I don't think the Y pipe will make any difference in performance. The best thing for you do since you are in a rush is get the Magnaflow system. If you don't like it change it later. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Let me know how it goes. Warren

BTW I love my sewer pipes.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I know how you feel, its a bi*ch waiting for after market parts.
I know what you're saying... being an early adopter is both good and bad. You end up with all the cool toys early, but you also run the risk of not ending up with the best, or having to upgrade again down the line...

The OEM exhaust system has this big a*s resonator and I don't think the Y pipe will make any difference in performance. The best thing for you do since you are in a rush is get the Magnaflow system. If you don't like it change it later. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Let me know how it goes. Warren
Ok, so basically you suggest exhaust if you're doing a y-pipe to see the max possible gains. But that means that just grabbing a pair of $150 Magnaflows from ebay won't help... I'll have to get a shop to take out the stock piping and resonator (since that's where you're saying the biggest restriction is) and either live with a huge noise or put a Mag resonator in there?

Bottom line it'd be at least $300 for the mufflers, plus whatever the cost of the resonator, plus the cost of getting the shop to do the work?

For that price I might as well wait it out and pay $700-800 for the Cattman. Not that the wait doesn't suck...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:31 AM
*moderator*

I went with Magnaflows about a year ago now, couldn't be happier. I know it all sounds and looks right now. But, I just had my resonator looked at yesterday (while my brakes were getting done) And he told me about $60 for a Mag resonator installed. I think I'll get the CE y-pipe and do it all at once. I'm a bit of a newb as well when it comes to exhaust, but that should complete the exhaust setup correct? (except headers of course, but I'm in talks with someone about that actually)
Old 09-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Newbie just Registered

I kept the stock mufflers (for now?) but re-pipe from stock y-pipe joint to rear y split with no resonator. If there was any gain, butt dyno is a little more responsive in the mid range. The sound is noticeably louder, similar to, but not quite as loud as the Z's and like. Stock y-pipe is the most restrictive part, so aftermarket one should give the most gain. I'm waiting to see if Cattman's y-pipe will have a cat; if so, that's what I'll get.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I kept the stock mufflers (for now?) but re-pipe from stock y-pipe joint to rear y split with no resonator. If there was any gain, butt dyno is a little more responsive in the mid range. The sound is noticeably louder, similar to, but not quite as loud as the Z's and like. Stock y-pipe is the most restrictive part, so aftermarket one should give the most gain. I'm waiting to see if Cattman's y-pipe will have a cat; if so, that's what I'll get.
That's a good plan... even though the stock mufflers are still restrictive, I think from the pictures people have posted the piping crimps and the stock resonator are the ones that cause the biggest restrictions.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but for someone that wants something "better" now while waiting for other aftermarket solutions, the best option is to keep the stock mufflers and have a shop re-pipe from the y-pipe all the way back. And you can either put an aftermarket resonator (like the magnaflow) in there to keep the tone down, or remove it altogether for a more "muscular" sound.

Seems to me like doing this actually gets you something reasonable now, with a good sound and somewhat less restrictive setup... and at the same time you don't spend that much dough for it. And later on you can choose to go with a full Greedy or Cattman or whatever when more options are available and you're ready to drop $800+ on a full exhaust.

Does that seem about right?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 AM

I know this topic is about your exhaust viguera.. but just on the side, one of my co workers told me I can make my maxima sound like a g35 coupe.. true or not? he claims a friends of his maxima sounds just like the G35 coupe.. I'm curious to know if anyone knows how to set the max exhaust to sound like that...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by viguera
Seems to me like doing this actually gets you something reasonable now, with a good sound and somewhat less restrictive setup... and at the same time you don't spend that much dough for it. And later on you can choose to go with a full Greedy or Cattman or whatever when more options are available and you're ready to drop $800+ on a full exhaust.

Does that seem about right?
That's what I have in mind, but I'm happy w/ this right now.
And jrzymuscle21, my Max now sounds similar to the G's, just not as loud.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by jrzymuscle21
I know this topic is about your exhaust viguera.. but just on the side, one of my co workers told me I can make my maxima sound like a g35 coupe.. true or not? he claims a friends of his maxima sounds just like the G35 coupe.. I'm curious to know if anyone knows how to set the max exhaust to sound like that...
The reason the G (and FX) sound like that is the exhaust...

With a few tweaks you can make the car sound just as "throaty", but you have to be careful not to make it sound like a 55 gallon drum full of bees or worse...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 AM

That's a good plan... even though the stock mufflers are still restrictive, I think from the pictures people have posted the piping crimps and the stock resonator are the ones that cause the biggest restrictions.
Someone else posted, and I strongly agree, that the stock mufflers on our Maximas are not restrictive.

The bends in the pipe yes, but not the mufflers themselves.

If you want to change the sound then go ahead and buy aftermarket, but that won't add any power increase.

Also, I really doubt that the resonator is causing much (if any) power loss.

Again, it's those two stinking bends (one at the y-pipe, one just before the the sprit to the pipes feeding the mufflers).

My plan is to get a local shop to replace those two sections (the ones with the bends) and leave everything else stock. If the Cattman Y-pipe would have the cats included, then that would be something to consider, but under no circumstances will I (where I live) be removing the catalytic converters...secondary or not.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 AM

That's what I have in mind, but I'm happy w/ this right now.
And jrzymuscle21, my Max now sounds similar to the G's, just not as loud.
What setup do you have on your max to achieve the sound you have?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by darrinps
My plan is to get a local shop to replace those two sections (the ones with the bends) and leave everything else stock. If the Cattman Y-pipe would have the cats included, then that would be something to consider, but under no circumstances will I (where I live) be removing the catalytic converters...secondary or not.
I've been going over all the posts from the previous threads and looking at 04redopmax's setup on cardomain. That's pretty much what led me to start this one... the mod information page is good too, but it's lacking in detail for people that want to either do something on a budget or quickly without wasting parts or getting something just because it's the only option out there.

I think what I need to do is go ahead with my plan to get my y-pipe installed this weekend, and that will take care of some of the restrictions. Then I'll have to find an exhaust shop to replace the mid-pipe between the b-pipe and the mufflers, so I can get rid of that flat area before the split.

Whether or not I'm gonna keep the stock resonator is up in the air now... if it is not-so-restrictive, then it shouldn't matter all that much and I'll get a decent enough sound and it will save me on having to get an aftermarket one and installation. If I'm not happy with the sound then I can always have them drop the thing and see what happens.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Newbie just Registered

New piping w/o resonator and w/ stock mufflers.

I also agree w/ darrinp that the mufflers are not very restrictive. When I had the resonator removed, I look through and saw that it wasn't very restrictive as far as the air flow is concern.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:34 AM

New piping w/o resonator and w/ stock mufflers.
But you're still using the stock y-pipe, right?

I'm thinking new pipe + y-pipe without a resonator might be too much for me... the droning might be too much if I'm on a 40-50 mile stretch of road with cruise control...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 AM

I have the CE-Y pipe and a straight(with a small bend) pipe to the split for the factory mufflers.

Also removed the intake resonator and installed a K&N filter

The response is better and there is very little, if any, difference in the sound.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Newbie just Registered

But you're still using the stock y-pipe, right?

I'm thinking new pipe + y-pipe without a resonator might be too much for me... the droning might be too much if I'm on a 40-50 mile stretch of road with cruise control...
Yes stock y. If I was to install a y-pipe, I would gat a new resonator to keep the noise down. I do like the throaty sound, but definitely not too loud.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:44 AM
MDS

I’m still very new to maxima.org. and hope no one minds me asking a question in this thread. I suspect my questions are really basic to you guys, but I need a starting point. If my questions have already been answered in previous threads, forgive me.

Is it true that if I replace my y-pipe, I will eliminate a catalytic converter? How many catalytic converters does our Maxima have and where are they located?

If I replace my stock y-pipe with a CE y-pipe, (which eliminates the catalytic converter, assuming I am right so far), how will it affect the car’s emissions? Will the remaining catalytic converters permit the car to pass inspection? Has anyone with a new y-pipe taken their car through inspection yet? Any problems? Does your state have strict pollution tests? Do they check for tampering?

I’m not sure if my last question has a straight forward answer. Are the performance gains associated with a CE y-pipe related to “smoother” tubing or the simply the removal of the catalytic converter?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:45 AM

Yes stock y. If I was to install a y-pipe, I would gat a new resonator to keep the noise down. I do like the throaty sound, but definitely not too loud.
Well seeing as CA is just about as expensive as the NY tri-state area, what should I be looking to pay to get something similar done without getting ripped off? New pipe installed keeping the stock resonator (or perhaps adding a magnaflow one) and keeping the stock mufflers?

That stuff is all bolts right? No torching required (I hope ) so it should keep the labor to a minimum... keeping the stock resonator should also keep the amount of time down, since it's only a matter of fabricating the new pipe and hooking everything up after removing that crimped one.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by 05MAXSE
I have the CE-Y pipe and a straight(with a small bend) pipe to the split for the factory mufflers.

Also removed the intake resonator and installed a K&N filter

The response is better and there is very little, if any, difference in the sound.
That is interesting to hear. I read a few posts that the CE y-pipe doesn't increase the sound, but I would wait to see if Cattman ones have a post cat.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Newbie just Registered

Well seeing as CA is just about as expensive as the NY tri-state area, what should I be looking to pay to get something similar done without getting ripped off? ...
I paid $100 cash. The guy took it w/o hesitation, so I guess I paid too much. It's only about 5 feet of piping.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
*moderator*

My car sounds pretty much like the G/FX and I have only replaced the mufflers with Maganflows (and Berk intake)
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MDS
I’m still very new to maxima.org. and hope no one minds me asking a question in this thread. I suspect my questions are really basic to you guys, but I need a starting point. If my questions have already been answered in previous threads, forgive me.
It's all good, but a ton of your questions are answered in the first sticky on this forum... the number of cats, the y-pipe info, everything is either there or on this thread (or one of those other 40,000 exhaust-related threads ).

But welcome aboard anyway.

Originally Posted by MDS
If I replace my stock y-pipe with a CE y-pipe, (which eliminates the catalytic converter, assuming I am right so far), how will it affect the car’s emissions? Will the remaining catalytic converters permit the car to pass inspection? Has anyone with a new y-pipe taken their car through inspection yet? Any problems? Does your state have strict pollution tests? Do they check for tampering?
I don't know if Jersey does emissions, but if they do, replacing the y-pipe will mean dropping the third cat. I THINK I remember someone saying that they passed emissions even without it, but if they hook you up to the machine, you're rolling the dice. If it's just hooking up to your OBD port then you'll be fine as long as no CELs are showing.

Originally Posted by MDS
I’m not sure if my last question has a straight forward answer. Are the performance gains associated with a CE y-pipe related to “smoother” tubing or the simply the removal of the catalytic converter?
Long threads going on about that... removing the cat is only part of it. Removing the kinks in the pipes is what actually lets the car breathe better. Either way, almost anything is better than stock.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:50 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=viguera

Make sure you save the OEM Y pipe. It might need it to pass the yearly inspection. I just had my 2 year safety inspection and next Sept. starts the emission tests. Mine is put away.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:17 PM

the resonator is that long thick piping down the middle of the exhaust, correct? So if I have that removed and just have a standard pipe put in, I should gain a little more throaty'r effect? like a g? Does a cold air intake also help? I was thinking of throwing on an altima nismo CAI..
Old 09-21-2005, 02:33 PM
GrandPa

Not hating, just wondering. Some of you guys want your rides to sound like a G, why didn't you buy one in the first place?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Not hating, just wondering. Some of you guys want your rides to sound like a G, why didn't you buy one in the first place?
#1 G35 sedan was just a little bit too much $$ out of my reach
#2 G35 coupe was too small
#3 I've owned a 2 maxima's already and I love em...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MDS
Is it true that if I replace my y-pipe, I will eliminate a catalytic converter? How many catalytic converters does our Maxima have and where are they located?

It's all about restrictions.......

Old 09-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
It's all about restrictions.......

Is that an 04-05 max there? looks like a previous Gen.. my resonator I think I peeked underneath tonite and it looks alot larger.. longer I should say.. am I right or wrong?

oh wait, is that a model car? LMAO..

well, still- is that long a$$ thing under my car the resonator? if it is, i'm getting that thing cut off by my mechanic and have him just weld in a pipe..
Old 09-21-2005, 07:08 PM
*moderator*

Same here G was too much $$$ and way too small.
Plus the Max is the sleeper!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:05 PM

Not too mention if you live where it snows... rear wheel drives suck!!! I wanted the G35, but it's also quite small.

(If there is anyone in the West that wants to do an exauhst mod for me let me know... I'd love to spend my $$ with an .org member)
Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 PM

Well spotted its a J31 Aussie Max..

Is that an 04-05 max there? looks like a previous Gen.. my resonator I think I peeked underneath tonite and it looks alot larger.. longer I should say.. am I right or wrong?

oh wait, is that a model car? LMAO..
Actually it's an Aussie J31 2005 Maxima..but the exhaust run is almost identical execpt that your Resonator is Bloody Humugus ...
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Floormarshall
Not too mention if you live where it snows... rear wheel drives suck!!! I wanted the G35, but it's also quite small.

(If there is anyone in the West that wants to do an exauhst mod for me let me know... I'd love to spend my $$ with an .org member)
Same here, but on the Northeast.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:10 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by MDS

Yes it will remove the cat. There are to pre-cats in the header.

I don't know any who has had the inspection yet but I saved my OEM pipe just in case. I won't have to worry about emisson testing till next Sept. The first two years on a new car in NY is only a safety inspection.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:08 AM

Yes it will remove the cat. There are to pre-cats in the header.

I don't know any who has had the inspection yet but I saved my OEM pipe just in case. I won't have to worry about emisson testing till next Sept. The first two years on a new car in NY is only a safety inspection.
I'm actually due for an inspection now, but I'm not gonna even try it... I'll pass with the stock pipe then swap this weekend, then put it back next year if needed.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 AM
GrandPa

I'm actually due for an inspection now, but I'm not gonna even try it... I'll pass with the stock pipe then swap this weekend, then put it back next year if needed.
You have to do a emission inspection every year where you live?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
Actually it's an Aussie J31 2005 Maxima..but the exhaust run is almost identical execpt that your Resonator is Bloody Humugus ...

: slick.. well -- I guess I was looking at the right thing.. that 'bloody humongus' resonator needs to go..
Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 AM

if someone could let me know asap... What size in diameter is the pipe that needs to go in place of the resonator??? I got a guy that'll do it for me and needs to know beofre i show up...
Old 09-22-2005, 08:23 AM

if someone could let me know asap... What size in diameter is the pipe that needs to go in place of the resonator??? I got a guy that'll do it for me and needs to know beofre i show up...
Let me know what you find out and how much it costs... I'll take a drive down there if it's worthwhile.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:25 AM

Let me know what you find out and how much it costs... I'll take a drive down there if it's worthwhile.
I'll let you know once I found out what the diameter on the pipe is that needs to go in place of the resonator...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:41 AM

alright, thats ok, got it.. $80 some guy down the strtreet from me said he'll take care of it tomorrow morning by welding on a straight pipe and taking the resonator out... now is there anything I should be aware of by doing this? (besides warranty that is).. I'm not going to screw up anything am I? What exactly is the side effects besides changeing the tone of my exhaust?

Quick Reply: Exhuast question