6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Y pipe?

Could I run a CE y pipe without changing the rest of the exhaust system, and still have gains?? I do plan on a full Greddy SP2 system eventually
thanks
Old 01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by VQMAX05
Could I run a CE y pipe without changing the rest of the exhaust system, and still have gains?? I do plan on a full Greddy SP2 system eventually
thanks
It's been done. I'm thinking about that too. I'm waiting to see Cattman's w/ cat y though.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Wait for headers is you want the big gains. Id actually wait for the Redlinemax. Y pipe or the cattman though. The Redlinemax y will be cheaper than either but the Cattmans will probably have the best quality and possibly the best gains. Only time will tell.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:27 PM

what will be the big difference between the 3 y pipes? how difficult is it to install? do u have a time frame as to when they will be out??I dont think I will do the headers....y pipe, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, already have a CAI... so what else NOS!!! :-)
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 PM

I heard both companys are releasing these things soon. Headers will give a huge gain over the y pipe, they should provide the bigger gain yet.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Newbie just Registered

If you get headers, you'd need the y-pipe, exhaust, and intake anyway to get most gain.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:40 PM

thanks
the car looks nice man
Old 01-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Yes a CE Y-Pipe can be installed without having to install a Greddy or Cattman exhaust. I agree, the best gains will be achieved with headers, however the best short term gains can be achievied with a combo of a CAI, Y-Pipe and upgraded exhaust. Somewhat costly if all done at once so a little at a time doesn't hurt the wallet so much, that's what I did...
Old 01-02-2006, 05:28 AM

Install of the Y pipe is not hard if you have some mech experience. Make sure you spray some PB blast or WD 40 on the bolts to loosent hem first and you will need a 7/8 open end wrench to remove the o2 sensor from the old pipe. When you see the 2 of them side by side you will see the circumfrnec difference between them.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by greg hazlett
Install of the Y pipe is not hard if you have some mech experience. Make sure you spray some PB blast or WD 40 on the bolts to loosent hem first and you will need a 7/8 open end wrench to remove the o2 sensor from the old pipe. When you see the 2 of them side by side you will see the circumfrnec difference between them.

Also don't forget to remove and reinstall the heat shield....
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 AM

True! How important is that head shield?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by greg hazlett
True! How important is that head shield?
Must be important if nissan designed the engine's exhaust piping with it!!!

Y-pipe gets just as hot as stock...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You know amidst all the talk about performance and gains, I think a lot of people get ahead of themselves when it comes to Y-Pipes. Lets start with the fact that a stock exhaust system causes a lot of backpressure and followup with the fact that y-pipe can make you fail inspection. I plan on puttin in a Y eventually, but so far have only modded from the Cat to the Muffler and spent $300 on parts & labor. This equals same price and gains as a Y pipe (actually a Y can cost more than $300 if you dont DIY install). Don't forget, a Y-pipe also increases your EGR uptake and can give you a CEL! People, start with the rest of your exhaust. Put in a Y-pipe after its done and you have an effective intake as well. I also recommend ignition upgrades if you're going to pull all the power out your car's ***. Your environment and your car will thank you for cleaner combustion.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by L0R1DA
You know amidst all the talk about performance and gains, I think a lot of people get ahead of themselves when it comes to Y-Pipes. Lets start with the fact that a stock exhaust system causes a lot of backpressure and followup with the fact that y-pipe can make you fail inspection. I plan on puttin in a Y eventually, but so far have only modded from the Cat to the Muffler and spent $300 on parts & labor. This equals same price and gains as a Y pipe (actually a Y can cost more than $300 if you dont DIY install). Don't forget, a Y-pipe also increases your EGR uptake and can give you a CEL! People, start with the rest of your exhaust. Put in a Y-pipe after its done and you have an effective intake as well. I also recommend ignition upgrades if you're going to pull all the power out your car's ***. Your environment and your car will thank you for cleaner combustion.
In Maryland, you only have to get a car inspection once (No inspection stickers on MD vehicles), or if you sell the car for the title change. If you have the car for 20 years, it only gets inspected once in 20 years. Plus since it's so easy to swap out, I kept my old pipe just in case. NY su%cks when it comes to inspections, registration, insurance, etc. I know, I was born and raised in the city...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:22 AM

I wanna know why you think the Ignition should be upgraded?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Bang for the buck is why I did the Y pipe-have you seen the pricing for a catback vs a Y pipe? Have you yourself looked at the two of them side by side? I have and there is a noticable difference. Not saying the catback isn't important but if you are on a budget the Y pipe is the better option.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

Could I run a CE y pipe without changing the rest of the exhaust system, and still have gains??
I can vouch for Gludes comment about headers. And with that said, also tell you that the stock cat-back flows well enough to support big #'s N/A..I bet it flows even better with you A34 fellas comapred to my A33B.

You know amidst all the talk about performance and gains,
I would advice opposite, and say that headers(w/ included ypipe) or a just a y-pipe will giver better gains than starting from the tip, back.

I can prove that with my dynos, and I'm pretty sure your 6th gen cat backs flow even better than my 5.5 gen.

I also recommend ignition upgrades if you're going to pull all the power out your car's ***.
Don't know much about VQ's do you?