6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cracked Windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Cracked Windshield!

Well I got in the car today and noticed that I have a crack in my windshield. I dunno how it happened but its running from the top and kinda does an L shape, about 8-10 inches long. I remember a post a while about someone replacing theres but I forget the cost. Does anyone know if these things can be fixed without having the replace the whole windshield? I might get pics of it later. Heh, also found out from the doctor today that we are having a girl so it brightened up my day a bit but im still a little frustrated. Well if anyone has any info let me know. Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think only chips can be repaired not cracks.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Bet on about $300, atleast that what it cost me...See what happens when you call my comments ?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 PM

Thats what I thought. Im thinking insurance will pay for it so maybe I wont have to dish out a lot of money.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

they can only be fixed if:

1. the crack can be covered completely by a $ bill
2. it is not immediately in front of the driver

if you have glass coverage on your policy, it shouldn't cost you anything to get it fixed.

p.s. if you get it fixed away from their shop, make sure you specify whether or not you have the nav system; there's a difference in the windshields.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

If you have glass coverage it wont cost a penny, you prob. have it on that car. I paid out of pocket to avoid making a claim, which is another story. I remember being suprised at how cheap it was...I was expecting it to be worse. However, they didnt seal it good the 1st time and I had a leak on the pillar. And no, you definately cant repair a crack that long.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Bet on about $300, atleast that what it cost me...See what happens when you call my comments ?
Nothing wrong with me stating my opinion, my reason is that you stated a car of a color other than black would look ricey with a carbon fiber hood. IMO, carbon fiber doesn't match well with chrome so I dont think it would look good on any color unless all the chrome was eliminated. Your still putting carbon fiber on a family sedan not a sport compact and mainly for the reason of looks because its not going to drop the weight much.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
If you have glass coverage it wont cost a penny, you prob. have it on that car. I paid out of pocket to avoid making a claim, which is another story. I remember being suprised at how cheap it was...I was expecting it to be worse. However, they didnt seal it good the 1st time and I had a leak on the pillar. And no, you definately cant repair a crack that long.
That sucks, my main worry was them not properly sealing the new one.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Cool Member

I got a long crack about 2 weeks after I got my Max, I was worried I would not get the same replacement windshield. So I contacted the dealership and they have few places that they recommended.
Try contacting the dealer and ask about a good replacement people, and your insurance should cover the cost if you have the glass coverage. I just had another chip last month, these things happen a lot in Arizona...
Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
dla
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree with kidd4l. If you have glass coverage I would take it to the stealership and let them fix it, b/c it won't cost you anything different. If you don't have glass coverage or don't want to file a claim, then contact the dealer and get a reference and then make sure you request OEM glass.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Mine cracked last week too. Wasn't even freezing. it started by the stickers and moved across my field of vision while I was driving. It hasn't cracked any more since that day though.

Weird. usually means the frame is stressed when it just cracks for no reason, but I know mine isn't. At least I don't think it is.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM

In Fla by law the insurance company has to replace damaged windshields free and without raising your rates (so told me the sheriff as he gave me my ticket). I wonder how many other states have a similar law??
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

I don't have an OEM windshield...however, it cannot be told from OEM and Ive been driving with it for over a year.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM

Don't call your insurance unless you intend to use it. Last time I got a crack, I called the insurance to see if they would cover for it. They said no but I can use my comprehensive coverage minus the $500 deductible. I said no thanks 'cause it only cost $325 to replace. That's the end of the story. Guess what ? A few years later, when I shopped for insurance with a different company, they pulled a history report on me and asked me why I left a windshield claim off the application ??#@#^%@ It turns out they record such things on your record. Same thing with homeowner insurance.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by maximob
In Fla by law the insurance company has to replace damaged windshields free and without raising your rates (so told me the sheriff as he gave me my ticket). I wonder how many other states have a similar law??
Cali does. I think there is a limit to how many repairs the insurance company shall cover. Either per year or per lifetime of the car. I don't recall which. But they wave the deductables too.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
Don't call your insurance unless you intend to use it. Last time I got a crack, I called the insurance to see if they would cover for it. They said no but I can use my comprehensive coverage minus the $500 deductible. I said no thanks 'cause it only cost $325 to replace. That's the end of the story. Guess what ? A few years later, when I shopped for insurance with a different company, they pulled a history report on me and asked me why I left a windshield claim off the application ??#@#^%@ It turns out they record such things on your record. Same thing with homeowner insurance.
I'll say it again, Insurance companies are EVIL...
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Insurance companys are the devil and go hand and hand with the oil companys. My sorry butt is paying $200 a month for insurance 2/3 the cost of my car payment @#$@#$@$@!!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I'll say it again, Insurance companies are EVIL...

i have already replaced 3 times already. driving here in cali sux. always those big trucks screws you over.

it's not dat much for the windshield. OEM windshield cost me $150 out the door. Yes i bought it from the dealer. my friends work for nissan so i get good price.

if i were you, i would not waste money trying to fix it. cuz it will cost you around the same as getting a new windshield. and plus let's say you got good price and fixed it... later on you will see the marks on the windshield. and that kinda stuff bothers me. So NO to fix
Old 02-02-2006, 10:12 AM

I had one to. click here to see the pic.

http://www.geocities.com/woogawooga99/crack.jpg
Old 02-02-2006, 11:02 AM

My dad told me yesterday that he went through our insurance guy and got a new windshield on his suburban a while back and it was only 50 bucks to cover it. I guess I need to talk to this guy before I do anything else.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by myer84
I had one to. click here to see the pic.

http://www.geocities.com/woogawooga99/crack.jpg
Oh, that's just wrong...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Oh, that's just wrong...
LOL, no whats wrong is the 50+ page of photoshops they did of this biker and his bish on clubrsx.com. I dunno if I can dig it up now but it will make you die laughin.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 PM

Keep in mind that if you have glass coverage on your policy, many insurance companies will give you at least one free winshield a year (where you don't have to pay the deductable that is). But if you do, expect it to be near $300. I chipped my Murano pretty bad and I got a new w/s at cost for about $200.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Deductibles!!

Originally Posted by Glude
Thats what I thought. Im thinking insurance will pay for it so maybe I wont have to dish out a lot of money.

Most people still have to pay their deductible for insurance to cover it. Most people dont have deductibles under $500 so, depending on YOUR deductible, you will probably end up paying more going through insurance
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 PM

im such a shmuck, i was installing wiper blades today, and when doing the driver side, the arm slipped out of my hand after i took the old blade off....wack, crack in the windsheld....lucky for me its very low and small..it just so happens to be in that area where the windsheild has black on the bottom.
very annoying though because i know about it -=\
Old 02-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Cool Member

I heard from the guy who replaced my windshield that the bottom part of the glass in the weakest area. I got a small crack in that area and it got bigger really quick. Hopefully yours does not end up like mine.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kidd4l
I heard from the guy who replaced my windshield that the bottom part of the glass in the weakest area. I got a small crack in that area and it got bigger really quick. Hopefully yours does not end up like mine.
I had the same experience... got hit by a rock on the interstate around wiper level (very loud noise - scared the crap outta me). An hour later, I saw it form... then after another couple of hours in the sun it ran up the windshield and to the side. Like others, I avoided the insurance company (although I know my agent and is very nice - she offered some suggestions: one of them being not to use the insurance co since it would go on file...). I too bought the glass from the stealership (I think it was ~$170) and had their auto body shop put it in. I don't recall exactly (I posted it here many months ago though if interested), but I think it was around $300 or so installed.

When you go to get a quote or whatever just tell them that you will be paying cash and NOt using insurance - I guess they tend to jack the price up when they know you are going to be paying with insurance.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 PM

Well I dont think I got oem glass but I had the windshield replaced by insurance and it was free so that was cool. Dropping my car off at the bodyshop tommorrow to get the rear window spoiler painted. Il start a new thread with pics and a couple of things that ive installed. Peace
Old 02-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just had mine replaced a while ago. Are all windshield glass this prone to breaking?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by willha418
i just had mine replaced a while ago. Are all windshield glass this prone to breaking?
Depends on where you live, the amount of **** on the road and if you like tailgating other vehicles...