6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Suspension Update...cattman vs Eibach

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:51 PM

Suspension Update...cattman vs Eibach

Hey guys reporting back after 3.5 months of having my Cattman installed.
Previously I has used Eibach springs to lower my car, after 1000 miles I develoved clicking and clunking over bumps and accelerating. Removed springs went back to stock....how ugly i know!!. for about 8000k miles...then Deus introduced my to Cattman....thnx by the way. And now with 15k miles I have the best.
I have had the Cattman springs and rear sway bar on my 05 for since a week before thanksgiving. And all is good! no noises, no clicking just a perfectly smooth ride that handles as good as it looks.
I highly recommed the Cattmans spring to everyone. No more gap, no swaying over bumps either.....stiff w/o being harsh.

The only thing that bugs me is why they wont provide zerk fittings to lube the rear bushings of the sway bar, mine tend to squeak a bit over speed bumps and stuff like that. Just an idea??? I have lubed mine 2x.BTW if that is all its fine by me...just turn up the music!

check my cardmain page for pix of both.
Cattman page 1
Eibach Page 2
Thanks
VQMAX05
Old 02-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my Cattman suspension. Coupled with good tires, I can really dazzle myself and others with the handling.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=VQMAX05]

The only thing that bugs me is why they wont provide zerk fittings to lube the rear bushings of the sway bar, mine tend to squeak a bit over speed bumps and stuff like that. Just an idea??? I have lubed mine 2x.BTW if that is all its fine by me...just turn up the music!
[QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick review there. I'm 90% sure I'm about to buy the same setup.

In regards to zerk fittings. Why not install your own? I've done that before. Just pop a hole in the bushing mount, and put in a fitting. Then drill a corresponding hole in the rubber bushing.

Using the correct lube may also be an issue. I scored some Ford bushing lube from the dealership SA. The damn stuff was like $80 for a 4oz tube. Worked like a charm and stopped the squeaks for about 6mos.

Other than the effort and tools required to put in your own zerk fittings is there anything else to prevent their installation?

CM
Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey deus, i just sent you a PM, asking where you got your cattmans.. I am ordering them tonight if i can.. Please let me know,,,, thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:53 AM

there's a GD on these right now. waiting for my paycheck to get in so i can hop on this.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=450276
Old 02-06-2006, 07:10 PM

Do waste any time one anything else.....Cattman #1 suspension for the Max's.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM

Getting mine ordered tommorrow, including the RSB!!! Sweet... Thanks for the info.. LAter..
Old 02-06-2006, 07:55 PM

I've had the cattman/progress setup for about a month now, and I love them. Handles great, no strange noises, looks great. If you have any questions or comments, let Brian (cattman) know. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Eibach Pro installed now for almost 2 years, ZERO problems, ZERO noise and rock solid handling since installation.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Iclrod - Can you compare the ride with your SL - I wanted to see someone how recently has change the springs - since they may remember the difference in the ride.

(Stock) vs. with Progress Springs.

I am looking to make this conversion here in the next few months and I can concerned the ride is going to be rougher. I drive a ton of miles (Approx. 30K) a year and I bought the SL because the ride was smoother.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM

I just got my 05 Max a few weeks ago. I would like to have a lowering kit put on it. How much do you recommend lowering it F/R? What is exactly the verdict? Eibach or Cattman?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 PM

Here's the prices from the Group Deal thread:

PROGRESS 24mm REAR SWAY BAR: MAXIMA 04-05 Item # PRG-621522
$130 shipped (Progress 22mm Rear Anti-Roll Bar For Nissan Maxima 04-05)

PROGRESS SPORT SPRINGS: MAXIMA 04-05 Item # PRG-401522
$169 shipped (Progress Technology Springs -1.8" Drop (FR) & -.75" Drop (RR) For Nissan Maxima 04-05)

Now the question I have is, according to this website:
http://www.coximport.com/progress/apps.html
The drop is 1.7in in the front and 1.5 in the rear? According the GD
The drop is 1.8in in the front and .8 in the rear?

I was just shopping the price and ran accross those specs. I emailed Progress on Sunday but haven't heard back from them yet.

Dues, VQ can either of you vouch for the drop in the rear?
And who installed the springs/bar on your cars.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:06 PM

OK wait VQMAX05, in one thread you say you have the PROGRESS springs, and in this one your say you have the CATTMAN?? Whats the deal bro? I am about to order the CATTMAN's but i just remembered about the GD on the PROGRESS and PROGRESS RSB?? Cheaper for the Progress.. I need to know which one to get ASAP... I am making my decision tommorrow, someone please clearify this for me... Thanks...

here is the thread that is in question...
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=34
Old 02-06-2006, 10:27 PM

I was there at Progress for the design phase and I know for a fact that the drop in the rear for Progress/Cattman springs is .75-.8". We determined that this was the BESt drop to match the drop in the front since OEM ride height is lower in the rear than the front. if you go 1.5" in back, than ur back to ur uneven gap and it throw the suspension geometry off too much. Go with Progress/Cattman springs.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I was there at Progress for the design phase and I know for a fact that the drop in the rear for Progress/Cattman springs is .75-.8". We determined that this was the BESt drop to match the drop in the front since OEM ride height is lower in the rear than the front. if you go 1.5" in back, than ur back to ur uneven gap and it throw the suspension geometry off too much. Go with Progress/Cattman springs.
Thanks Dues, appreciate it.

Ghost, I think the Progress and Cattman springs are the same. Maybe some can explain why the are called by two names.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Thanks Dues, appreciate it.

Ghost, I think the Progress and Cattman springs are the same. Maybe some can explain why the are called by two names.

thanks that cleared it up for me, i am going with the group deal.. thanks....
Old 02-07-2006, 04:14 AM

Thank you for the comparison post. It was the information I needed to help with my decision on lowering my car.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:18 AM

Cattman and Progress are 1 in the same, Progress suspension makes the springs and rear sway bar for Cattman Performance. So cattman is progress. And progress is cattman sort of (when it comes to our 6th gens)
You will not be disappointed with the Cattman/Progress stuff.
Jon
Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Can anyone else confirm that the Cattman/Progress springs have no noise? I'd like to swap out my eibachs. My wife hates the noise.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Hamy
Can anyone else confirm that the Cattman/Progress springs have no noise? I'd like to swap out my eibachs. My wife hates the noise.

7K miles on C/P, and no noise so far. I do check the seating evertime the car is lifted (oil change, tire rotation) and haven't needed to adjust yet.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Originally Posted by chernmax
Eibach Pro installed now for almost 2 years, ZERO problems, ZERO noise and rock solid handling since installation.

Yeah the clunking would have come from installation issues
Old 02-07-2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Redmax
Yeah the clunking would have come from installation issues
And I installed them myself...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:48 AM

So the Cattman/Progress RSB is the same? Wish I would have known that as I just spent $175 for a Cattman RSB.....
Old 02-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hamy
I have the cattman/progress springs and sway bar installed in my car and I love it. No problems so far (knock on wood) and the drop is perfect in my opinion. Highly Recommended.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalMax05
Iclrod - Can you compare the ride with your SL - I wanted to see someone how recently has change the springs - since they may remember the difference in the ride.

(Stock) vs. with Progress Springs.

I am looking to make this conversion here in the next few months and I can concerned the ride is going to be rougher. I drive a ton of miles (Approx. 30K) a year and I bought the SL because the ride was smoother.
Car seems to handle smoother. Looks a world of difference better. I'd say handling at higher speeds is a non-issue. I catch myself going through corners faster then I probably should, but the car runs along without any problems. Real smooth. Highly recommend the Cattman package.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the response - Looks like a done deal. - Cattman/Progress for me....
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by greg hazlett
So the Cattman/Progress RSB is the same? Wish I would have known that as I just spent $175 for a Cattman RSB.....
Progress makes the springs. Cattman is an authorized dealer, first to introduce the springs.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:43 AM

Ok, do they make the RSB also?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Cool Member

Hi guys,
I want to install the springs and RSB for my Max. Do I need to change struts too? Anybody have installed the GR2 struts? Will I notice any differences? How much did you guys get charge for installing springs and RSB?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by greg hazlett
Ok, do they make the RSB also?
Same w/ RSB.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by kidd4l
Hi guys,
I want to install the springs and RSB for my Max. Do I need to change struts too? Anybody have installed the GR2 struts? Will I notice any differences? How much did you guys get charge for installing springs and RSB?
1. No.

2. Some has.

3. Yes.

4. DIY or $200-300.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalMax05
Thanks for the response - Looks like a done deal. - Cattman/Progress for me....
Enjoy the higher price for something that no one can provide proof handles or give enhance performance over GReddy or Stillen.

Oh I paid more, must be better...
Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Enjoy the higher price for something that no one can provide proof handles or give enhance performance over GReddy or Stillen.

Oh I paid more, must be better...
When I was looking around for mine, I paid less for the Cattman setup. The other two were atleast $100 more. Could be luck of the draw though. I'm happy with my setup.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
GrandPa

I have the eibach springs, Stillen ASB and FSB and I have had no problems with this set-up.

2004-2006 Front 2.0" Rear 1.8"

Old 02-09-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by lclrod
When I was looking around for mine, I paid less for the Cattman setup. The other two were atleast $100 more. Could be luck of the draw though. I'm happy with my setup.
Is your Cattman setup a true catback system??? I'm not talking about lobbing off the OEM mufflers and welding up some cattmans...

I'm referring to a system that removes the entire OEM just after the resonator. Everything is light stainless steel and new.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM

The Cattman is a well-thought out system that entirely replaces the exhaust from the y-pipe back. I was there for the development so Im speaking first-hand. There are several significant crimps in the stock exhaust that are eliminated by the Cattman system. The bends are mandrel, the correct way, so they are smooth. The Cattman also has the option of an additional resonator to quiet it for those who desire a quieter system. It is also much lighter and I know this cuz I picked up the stock system with teh heavy mufflers, and then I picked up the Cattman system.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM

Oh, and by the way, the Cattman comes with flanges so u can take it apart easily.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Oh, and by the way, the Cattman comes with flanges so u can take it apart easily.
Deus, the Greddy is lighter than OEM, has flanges to install in three sections vice the one piece OEM.

Again, I'm not busting on cattman, just no data to support it's better than GReddy and cattman cost more and the audience is mixed on which sound better...
Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM

Before I take the plunge and buy springs, I was also checking on strut prices since I was told struts were recommended. I thought it might be cheaper to have it all installed at once. Then..........one shop told me I may need a camber kit as well. Does that sound correct?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Before I take the plunge and buy springs, I was also checking on strut prices since I was told struts were recommended. I thought it might be cheaper to have it all installed at once. Then..........one shop told me I may need a camber kit as well. Does that sound correct?
Sure they will recommend struts and a chamber kit, they make more money that way. IMO, absolutely not needed. All you need to do is install the springs and get a wheel alignment. Your OEM struts will be just fine and still covered under your factory warranty...

Quick Reply: Suspension Update...cattman vs Eibach