6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Changing '04 rotors...need tech advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:35 AM

Changing '04 rotors...need tech advise

I've looked through the stickies but there's no info on replacing rotors. I've already changed the rear rotors (really easy). But there's no info on changing the front rotors.

Here's what I need:
1. What size is the large nut in the center of the rotor?
2. What size are the nuts holding the caliper assembly on?
3. Anything tricky?

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 03-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Shouldnt be tricky, just remove the calipers and the rotors will slide off.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by Glude
Shouldnt be tricky, just remove the calipers and the rotors will slide off.
Yes, rotors are held inplace by the lug nuts and calipers.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Yes, rotors are held inplace by the lug nuts and calipers.
Unless you are unlucky like I was, the rotors were stuck on I had to hit them with a mallet while prying with a bar.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

yea man don't take that big bolt off, you will take apart the whole assembly lol...

just take the caliper and the caliper braket off and the rotor should come off after some elbow grease..
Old 03-13-2006, 02:46 PM

i haven't checked our rotors yet but most rotors have 2 small threaded holes near the center. if the rotors are seriously stuck on, do not hit them. instead buy an assortment of small bolts (not sure what size) then find the one that fits the threads on the small holes. thread the bolt into the rotor and it should pop the rotor off.

be sure to set that bolt aside for future use.

and correct me if this does not apply to our car, it has to all the other car's rotors i've replaced.

peace
Old 03-14-2006, 06:31 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I just ordered my drilled/slotted rotors for my sl. I hope they are easy also. I looked at them when I changed my pads it didn't look like it would be too tricky. Fingers crossed :-)
Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM

What drilled/slotted rotors are you getting? Would you mind providing us with a link please? Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 07:12 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
What drilled/slotted rotors are you getting? Would you mind providing us with a link please? Thanks
Look in the group deals section. A guy named automax95 is selling all four shipped for 245.00 here's the link http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396095. He has gotten good reviews on them hope this helps. I also sent you a pm with the link.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by eclipticrider
i haven't checked our rotors yet but most rotors have 2 small threaded holes near the center. if the rotors are seriously stuck on, do not hit them. instead buy an assortment of small bolts (not sure what size) then find the one that fits the threads on the small holes. thread the bolt into the rotor and it should pop the rotor off.

be sure to set that bolt aside for future use.

and correct me if this does not apply to our car, it has to all the other car's rotors i've replaced.

peace
Yes, the threaded holes are there and that's exactly what they're for. I've already removed the front rotors on my SE once (yes, they are warped at 45K miles) and it was easy; I didn't have to use the special holes, luckily. I had an extreme circumstance on my 94 Altima where the rotors were really rusted to the hubs... I tried every remedy in the book, heat, liquid wrench (I stripped out the threads on the special holes) and so I relented and took it to a shop, they pulled them off and put my Brembo's on there for $100. Wasn't my first option, but it was the last one I was down to.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rotor trick

If the front rotors are rusted in (like mine were last month), here is a poor man's trick. Loosen the 5 lug nuts about 1 turn. Rock the car forward and back a few feet, a few times, each times slaping on the brakes. A trick from my grandpa, a poor but proud car mechanic. His basic tool: A good coat of WD40 the night before you take anything off.

With a screwdriver, gently push the piston back in before you take the caliper/pads out. New pads will be much easier to slide over rotor.

Add a set of Stainless Steel braided brake lines. Really worth it.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:37 AM

Well, I got them put on. For everybodys future knowledge...the front caliper requires you to remove two 14mm bolts and two 22mm bolts. Everything worked out fine and I like the new look.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 4drsleeper
Well, I got them put on. For everybodys future knowledge...the front caliper requires you to remove two 14mm bolts and two 22mm bolts. Everything worked out fine and I like the new look.
Just plain ol regular bolts or a allen key head style bolt? And did you need an impact wrench or just a regular socket set?

CM.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Just plain ol regular bolts or a allen key head style bolt? And did you need an impact wrench or just a regular socket set?

CM.
Just regular bolt heads. I used a 1/2" socket wrench on the 14mm bolts and a 3/4 socket wrench on the 22mm. You'll need a large hammer to help break the bolts loose...or a pry bar on the wrench. The 14's are fairly easy to break loose but the 22mm bolts are really, really, really tight.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:38 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Write-up w/pics enjoy
Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM

I am tring to change my rear rotors and it isnt working all that nice . Any help. Please.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
I would like to do my front pads and rotors soon...this write up is nice....but i have a question about the step after you take the caliper off....they show the piston just sitting there...I thought you have to hold the piston in or else it could pop out...or you need to use a special tool to keep the piston in. Can anybody advise?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:27 PM

From what i've done in the past just let it "hang" and then when u need to put the caliper back on, just get one of those clamps and press it back in with that.

Dan
Old 06-21-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mightymousehhd4
I am tring to change my rear rotors and it isnt working all that nice . Any help. Please.

Can you be more specific about your problems please?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

22mm.... Damn mine were 18mm.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A bit off topic but....Install in Florida places?

I just got my rotors and pads from Automax too and was wondering if anyone knows a decent place in the Ft. Lauderdale / Boca area that can throw them on cheap and right? Any ideas? E-mail me back at jtfixler@yahoo.com

Peace,
Jeff
Old 06-29-2006, 06:56 AM
dot dot dot ...

It's quite easy.. take the wheel off and try it.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
From what i've done in the past just let it "hang" and then when u need to put the caliper back on, just get one of those clamps and press it back in with that.

Dan
I dont want to be a party pooper, but its not recomended to let the caliper hang from the ruber hose, those calipers are heavy, and it could result in a leak
Old 06-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Banned

Do you think when I push in the piston im going to have to bleed the brakes too? Or do most people puch them in, put the new pads in, and thats the end of it.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 AM

i would bleed them, just make shure that you pump the brake pedal couple of times before you start driving. you dont want to hit the guy in front of you,
Old 06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Do you think when I push in the piston im going to have to bleed the brakes too? Or do most people puch them in, put the new pads in, and thats the end of it.
I've done quite a few pad and rotor swaps without ever bleeding the brakes. As long as you don't disconnect the calipers from the brake lines, you don't have to bleed the brakes.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by boone
I've done quite a few pad and rotor swaps without ever bleeding the brakes. As long as you don't disconnect the calipers from the brake lines, you don't have to bleed the brakes.

I used to work part time for a mechanic shop out of high school and the owner told me the main reason for bleeding the brakes after replacing the pads was to change out the fliud. Heat and pressure can really beak down the fluid and can cause vapor lock. It happened to me in my moms ford once.

PS...boone, are those Zinik wheels? I just got the Z18 Minardi's. Very nice wheels...
Old 06-29-2006, 06:41 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by maximob
I used to work part time for a mechanic shop out of high school and the owner told me the main reason for bleeding the brakes after replacing the pads was to change out the fliud. Heat and pressure can really beak down the fluid and can cause vapor lock. It happened to me in my moms ford once.

PS...boone, are those Zinik wheels? I just got the Z18 Minardi's. Very nice wheels...
I wouldn't be surprised at anything that happens in a Ford. Seriously, you are correct in that when you change the brakes is a good time to swap out the fluid. I was more concerned with confusing someone into thinking that bleeding the brakes during a pad/rotor change was a must.

Yes, they are Z7 Adrians.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rear Rotors

Whats up everyone....... I have read up and down this site on how to's to remove the rear rotors on our car..... I just got my brake system in and the front rotors were cake..... the rear ones seem to be a bit more difficult ...... is there a sticky or a web site i can go to ..... to help me with this???? thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 01:21 PM

you did the fronts, but can't do the rear.

thats funny, the rears are way easier than the fronts, 2 bolts take the caliper off and out comes the rotor.. its simple..
Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by y0_nate
Whats up everyone....... I have read up and down this site on how to's to remove the rear rotors on our car..... I just got my brake system in and the front rotors were cake..... the rear ones seem to be a bit more difficult ...... is there a sticky or a web site i can go to ..... to help me with this???? thanks
1) make sure your emergency brake is not on......
2) use a rubber mallet to smack the rotor off, from inside outwards.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you did the fronts, but can't do the rear.

thats funny, the rears are way easier than the fronts, 2 bolts take the caliper off and out comes the rotor.. its simple..

well guys i did it and no .... its not as simple as the fronts... the fronts were cake ..... like 15 min and i was done...... the backs tend to be different as because there is a small hole with a plastic rubber thing that looks as if it could fit a flat head screwdriver.... once you pop that out you have to line that hole in the 12'o clock position until you see what looks like a gear from a clock..... you go either up or down with your flathead screwdriver (trial and error) until you notice that the rotor spins quite easily.... that is when you are able to take off the rotor.... the gear that you move actually applies pressure to the rotor which is what made it difficult to take off..... i finnally got it off now whole brake system is now complete...... i would of done the SS lines but I have no one to help me apply the pressure upon putting them back on ..... ill do that this weekend.....
Old 07-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Where did you get the new rotors and what kind are they?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:03 PM

well guys i did it and no .... its not as simple as the fronts... the fronts were cake ..... like 15 min and i was done...... the backs tend to be different as because there is a small hole with a plastic rubber thing that looks as if it could fit a flat head screwdriver.... once you pop that out you have to line that hole in the 12'o clock position until you see what looks like a gear from a clock..... you go either up or down with your flathead screwdriver (trial and error) until you notice that the rotor spins quite easily.... that is when you are able to take off the rotor.... the gear that you move actually applies pressure to the rotor which is what made it difficult to take off..... i finnally got it off now whole brake system is now complete...... i would of done the SS lines but I have no one to help me apply the pressure upon putting them back on ..... ill do that this weekend.....
thats how you adjust the e-brake, too much you set the e-brake too hard and the rotor won't spin cause the brakes are on basicly.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longhorn101
Where did you get the new rotors and what kind are they?

i purchased from automax95 in the group buy section.... awesome guy to deal with.... and my rotors look great....
Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 AM

i purchased from automax95 in the group buy section.... awesome guy to deal with.... and my rotors look great....
I recently put my rotors from automax95 on as well. Did the finish on your rotors not looks 100% polished? You could still see lots of machining marks on mine, did know if that was normal.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:51 PM

yeah it had a bit of machine markings........ but after a couple days of driving ...... they seemed to fade..... also..... i got my rotors powder coated black.... so that also might have something to do with it..... other than that im happy with em .... ill post pictures on here tomorrow
Old 08-17-2006, 07:39 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Mightymousehhd4
mine are f'in welded on. not really, but sure wish Nissan made the 2 small holes on the rear.

I HATE RUST any suggestions to getting them off? Fronts were easy. I'm to the point of using a torch or jack-hammer
Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 AM
SuPeRmOd

through my searching, i'll try a trick someone posted. since we don't have the 2 holes on the rear to "screw them off" we can use the caliper bracket and run a bolt from behind.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Lots of WD40 the night before.

Otherwise try this: Put the wheels back on and loosen the lug nuts about 1/2 - 1 turn. Drive 3 feet and hit the brakes, in reverse 3 feet and brake again. Repeat a few times. Use medium brake pressure first.

You should hear/feel a slight 'klunck' from each wheel when the rust breaks loose around the hub. Do not slam on the brakes too hard as each lug nut may leave a small indentation on the mag near the nut. I have used this method many times.

Quick Reply: Changing '04 rotors...need tech advise