6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

time for brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 05:24 PM

time for brakes

does anyone know where to get ( and what brand to look for) for rotors and brake pads for an 05 maxima ?? is that time if the year and i need some brakes...

thank you for the help.

Luigi
Old 03-17-2006, 05:29 PM

oh yeah... i mean ..besides the group deal section and or the clssifieds sections, or the org in general...i want to look aroud first...thanks.

Luigi
Old 03-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im gonna go with 300zx calipers and adaptor plates and ss lines. I can prolly get it all done for about $400.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:33 PM

ummm....help...

sooo whats better..or at least, what is the difference ??

''''Zinc plated RTP Cross drilled, slotted,dimpled, cross drilled/slotted or dimple/slotted.'''''
Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
ummm....help...

sooo whats better..or at least, what is the difference ??

''''Zinc plated RTP Cross drilled, slotted,dimpled, cross drilled/slotted or dimple/slotted.'''''
zinc is the rust proof material they put on them...

cross drilled: are just the holes

cross drilled and slotted: are holes and a slot

dimples: is a hole thats not drilled all the way through, so its like a dip on the rotor, they call it a dimple..
Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Im gonna go with 300zx calipers and adaptor plates and ss lines. I can prolly get it all done for about $400.
ummmm hook me up with some more details please...

thanks...

aslo...what do u think of.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396095
Old 03-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
zinc is the rust proof material they put on them...

cross drilled: are just the holes

cross drilled and slotted: are holes and a slot

dimples: is a hole thats not drilled all the way through, so its like a dip on the rotor, they call it a dimple..

ahhhh i see ...now...which one is better ??

Luigi
Old 03-17-2006, 05:43 PM

here is an example of drilled and slotted rotors..

I like the drilled and slotted the best, I dunno wich are better in stopping power..
Old 03-17-2006, 05:47 PM

here is an example of drilled and slotted rotors..

I like the drilled and slotted the best, I dunno wich are better in stopping power..

umm sexy...yeah...hey tekniq, could you please look at the link i posted before and see what do you think ?? please please !! ja !! thanks...
Old 03-17-2006, 05:52 PM

yea thats automax's GB, I bought my lines from him, I might get the rotors from him as well, he's a good guy and ships quick..
Old 03-17-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think the slots and holes are so the brakes don't overheat and loose grip. Drilled AND slotted looks hot, but is that taking too much surface area away? Are there larger diameter rotors to make up for that?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is a link u may like: http://www.blehmco.com/300ZX_brakes.htm
This describes a big brake kit for our cars using 300zx brakes with an adaptor so it bolts on our cars. I think its the way to go. Why, you ask. Well, 4 pistons versus our one piston and aluminum calipers versus our heavy calipers. And they look cool too!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Newbie just Registered

This describes a big brake kit for our cars using 300zx brakes with an adaptor so it bolts on our cars. I think its the way to go. Why, you ask. Well, 4 pistons versus our one piston and aluminum calipers versus our heavy calipers. And they look cool too!!!
W/ EBD, won't you want to change the rear calipers too?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I just ordered my drilled/slotted rotors from automax. I will be getting them on the 22nd of this month. All I can say is if the rotors are as good as the customer service than they should be great. He responded to every question very quickly. He told me there was a slight delay on my order which I didn't mind. I tried to order a set off of ebay and a month later no rotors. I had quite a time getting my money back. I don't race or drive hard but I wanted a little better brake feel. You have a lot of choices out there. I called my stealership for OEM rotors and they were 208 plus tax for front rotors. 245 for all shipped if they are good is a good deal to me.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:54 PM
.org extraordinaire

DEUS!!! If your willing to wait a week and a half I pushed a brake developer to creat a Willwood set for our rides. He is almost done and just waiting for the aluminium rotor hats to be coated!

Let me just say this, WILLWOOD Calipers, 13.6" Rotors with Aluminium hats.......... compe***iveley priced between the APR 4 Piston kit and the Stillen 2 Piston kit and yes a TWO piece rotor design!!

I'm waiting for the kit to be shipped to my place.....

Guys hold off on all front brake purchases for at least a week and half! I will test out the new kit TRUST ME! and let you know the findings.

Buenos Noches mi Amigos!

Kam
Old 03-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
DEUS!!! If your willing to wait a week and a half I pushed a brake developer to creat a Willwood set for our rides. He is almost done and just waiting for the aluminium rotor hats to be coated!

Let me just say this, WILLWOOD Calipers, 13.6" Rotors with Aluminium hats.......... compe***iveley priced between the APR 4 Piston kit and the Stillen 2 Piston kit and yes a TWO piece rotor design!!

Guys hold off on all front brake purchases for at least a week and half! I will test out the new kit TRUST ME! and let you know the findings.

Buenos Noches mi Amigos!

Kam
Would they clear the stock 18's?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:52 PM
*moderator*

ummmm hook me up with some more details please...

thanks...

aslo...what do u think of.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396095
luigi,
That's what I went with and for $440 shipped to my door you can't go wrong. I would like to upgrade but I just don't want to spend another grand or more on brakes (WILLWOOD though mmmmmm ) when my car stops on a dime now. I've had no problems with these...

Old 03-18-2006, 06:48 AM

These guys were great for me Brembo rotors drilled and slotted...excellent

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...8319QQtcZphoto
Old 03-18-2006, 06:54 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by RayL
These guys were great for me Brembo rotors drilled and slotted...excellent

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...8319QQtcZphoto

Keep in mind these are not real Brembo, they do not make rotors for our cars (been covered numerous times in numerous threads)
Probably the same ones that I have which work fine!!
Old 03-18-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski

Buenos Noches mi Amigos!

Kam
nice, keep us updated on that bro..
Old 03-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Keep in mind these are not real Brembo, they do not make rotors for our cars (been covered numerous times in numerous threads)
Probabaly the same ones that I have which work fine!!
They could be flat Brembo disks drilled/slotted after. Still, no warranty by Brembo.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
.org extraordinaire

slotted/dimpled

ooops, the rotors will be slotted/dimpled not Cross Drilled as those would have a deteriorated life span.

They will clear the 18" with a 15 mm spacer, the 17" should clear with a 26mm spacer. Please dont quote me on it as I have not had the chance to test fit them on my car yet.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

Kam
Old 03-18-2006, 12:10 PM

ummm...great, thanks for all the feedback on this guys...nice.

now, would anyone actually know what is the best way to go... cross drilled, dimpled slotted or cross drilled/slooted combo ?? any pros and cons on each ...what is better ??

i know the holes and slots are to allow the scape of gases so that the pads can apply more firmly pressure onto the rotors...i think dimpled wouldnt do anything since the dimple will fill with the gas and eventually still oppose resistance against the pad and so it would be like having a regular flat rotor...right ?? just my guess on that... but also...will all the holes and slots on the rotor reduce the strength of the rotor itself ?? well, i will assume they know how many holes and slots to put on the rotors to prevent that as well as the spacing in between them...right ?? me guessing again...

i dunno anything about this for fact so thats why i ask your opinion guys...thank you.

Luigi
Old 03-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Going Ginsu

Probabaly the same ones that I have which work fine!!
Wrong. Brembo does make rotors for the Maxima. Just not crossdrilled, slotted, dimpled, or some combination thereof.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:16 PM

ummm...great, thanks for all the feedback on this guys...nice.

now, would anyone actually know what is the best way to go... cross drilled, dimpled slotted or cross drilled/slooted combo ?? any pros and cons on each ...what is better ??

i know the holes and slots are to allow the scape of gases so that the pads can apply more firmly pressure onto the rotors...i think dimpled wouldnt do anything since the dimple will fill with the gas and eventually still oppose resistance against the pad and so it would be like having a regular flat rotor...right ?? just my guess on that... but also...will all the holes and slots on the rotor reduce the strength of the rotor itself ?? well, i will assume they know how many holes and slots to put on the rotors to prevent that as well as the spacing in between them...right ?? me guessing again...

i dunno anything about this for fact so thats why i ask your opinion guys...thank you.

Luigi
I'm glad you're asking these questions cause I'm curious as well. My brakes are starting to squeek so i'll need to replace my pads, and am just gonna do the rotors as well.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by RHMax
They could be flat Brembo disks drilled/slotted after. Still, no warranty by Brembo.

I stand corrected, but that link doesn't say Brembo anywhere on it....
Old 03-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Going Ginsu

I stand corrected, but that link doesn't say Brembo anywhere on it....
I'm glad that wasn't my assertion.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by maximob
I'm not an expert, but I think the slots and holes are so the brakes don't overheat and loose grip. Drilled AND slotted looks hot, but is that taking too much surface area away? Are there larger diameter rotors to make up for that?
: In theory there are a lot of benifits to both cross drilling and slotting but many will argue each.

The two main benifits for cross drilling are increased grip (friction) by increasing the leading edge area of the rotor, and to evacuate the layer of "resin" gas and pad dust that builds up between the pad and the rotor. Some say cross drilling also increases cooling but it's extremely minimal.

Slotting also increases the "leading edge" coefficient of friction but more importantly it vents the gas produced from the pads resin content and helps to evacuate pad dust.

In my opinion cross drilling is a waste of money and shortens the life of the rotor. I've tried two sets of "Wilwood" cross drilled rotors on my track car. Both cracked prematurely right along the hole patterns. Slots don't compromise the strength of the rotor but still allow for gas venting and dust evacuation.

If you really want to increase your braking force, increase the diameter and thickness of the rotor and convert to a 2 or 4 piston caliper. Increasing rotor size allows for a larger pad, better heat dissipation and increased "outer edge" clamping force. 2 and 4 piston calipers provide huge braking force gains by flattening out the clamping force across the entire surface of the pads instead of just the center.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 AM

yeah but look at the price !!!! for refurbished parts ?? yay !! i think i am gonna go with :

stainless steel lines, slotted/dimpled rotors, performance pads

what do you guys think ?? am i in a good track ?? i want improve braking but i dont want out of this world braking power, i drive hard so i brake hard, but i dont ever go to the track or stuff like some of you guys do so i dont wanna go all the way out and not really use all the power and benefits of the upgrade...

Luigi
Old 03-19-2006, 12:59 PM
SuPeRmOd

slots and cross drilling are mainly for looks.

they used to drill holes to release gases, but the materials used today do not omit those gases anymore or rarely.

we can't just say that everything racecars use must be good for us. they constantly replace their brakes. so when the drilling causes stress cracks and damage the rotors, no problem. replace them.

They still look great and work well. Just don't assume you're getting more braking power by adding holes. I bought slotted. Maybe they will be better, but mostly they look good. I read they constantly wide the pads clean. And IF it's true about water or gases needing to escape, the slots provide the same benefit as holes, but the integrity is not compromised.

Quality steel
Quality pads
SS brake lines (will not expand like oem rubber hoses when hot)

are the best you can do. just don't buy cheap drilled rotors off eBay thinking you're better off.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
slots and cross drilling are mainly for looks.

they used to drill holes to release gases, but the materials used today do not omit those gases anymore or rarely.

we can't just say that everything racecars use must be good for us. they constantly replace their brakes. so when the drilling causes stress cracks and damage the rotors, no problem. replace them.

They still look great and work well. Just don't assume you're getting more braking power by adding holes. I bought slotted. Maybe they will be better, but mostly they look good. I read they constantly wide the pads clean. And IF it's true about water or gases needing to escape, the slots provide the same benefit as holes, but the integrity is not compromised.

Quality steel
Quality pads
SS brake lines (will not expand like oem rubber hoses when hot)

are the best you can do. just don't buy cheap drilled rotors off eBay thinking you're better off.
What's your opinion on the automax rotors. I did order the drilled/slotted from him. Stainless steel lines are next. I don't drive alot but I do worry about the integrity of the rotors. He seems to have a good reputation. I don't drive at the race track though lol. I must admit I do like the looks but I like stopping better.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:59 PM

The ebay link is to a company called Wholesale Direct Parts in Cali. They assured me that they buy plain Brembo rotors and machine them slot/cross drill.

I don't know more than this but have them on and seem great...anything would be an improvement over the Nissan OEM rotors
Old 03-19-2006, 08:12 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by kdejour
What's your opinion on the automax rotors. I did order the drilled/slotted from him. Stainless steel lines are next. I don't drive alot but I do worry about the integrity of the rotors. He seems to have a good reputation. I don't drive at the race track though lol. I must admit I do like the looks but I like stopping better.

That's what I have and I love them....definitely get the steel lines, this is porbably the best add on!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by kdejour
I bought mine (stlotted) from Jason (automax_95) aswell.
I stated all the research and majority of opinions I have found/concluded. If going with cross-drilled, he is the best option to go with. For the price, even if they do have problems, you'll still save over OEM. Haven't heard anything bad so far, only good about his rotors.

If you don't drive a lot (like you said) and/or don't break really hard often, I wouldn't concern myself about it. But I would still inspect them regularly, say when also doing oil changes.

About the Brembo sellers drilling them. That scares me. Like stated, Bremebo will void any warranty issues, and rightly so.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:49 AM

great !! seems like i have made a good decision and will act on it soon.

so i will be getting slotted/dimpled rotors, performance pads and the ss lines, i will get this from automax, i do not do ebay..i hate ebay...you get what you paid for...i dont care how much they make it look like you are gettign a great deal...chances are, you are not, so i really hate taking chances with my hard earned money...i rather pay that extra little more for peace of mind, guaranty and assurance that if there is a problem , a return or exchange will be promptly made unlike ebay ''vendors''

well, thank you so much for all the feedback...

nismo...i am traumatized...i noticed u were the last one to post on the thread and i was like '' oh ****, why did he locked it now ?? i probably got banned too !! '' i think i will schedule some therapy for that ...

Luigi
Old 03-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Banned

Ive never seen real drilled rotors on a 6th gen, those holes are not all the way through the rotor, they are only for looks, useless. Racecars have drilled rotors that go completely through, or any car with actual drilled rotors.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Ive never seen real drilled rotors on a 6th gen, those holes are not all the way through the rotor, they are only for looks, useless. Racecars have drilled rotors that go completely through, or any car with actual drilled rotors.
Look on the previous page at jsmith rotors they are drilled all the way.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Banned

JSmiths look tight, I doubt it matters in terms of performance, but if you want drilled thats the way to go, the 'dimples' look very cheezy and cheap IMO.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM
.org extraordinaire

nice, keep us updated on that bro..
Originally Posted by BRIAN BRAKE DEVELOPER
"
PART1

OK I’ll let you know as soon as I get the components in. I saw the rotors hats at the machine shop today and they should be done Monday, and I’ll take them to the anodizing shop. Rotors to be cad plated next week too. Brake lines are on order today, should be ready by end of next week. Calipers on order yesterday should be here by end of next week as well. So it looks like the week of the 27th it should all be ready to start shipping. I can do as many kits at $1200 as I need to. I’ll probably put the price up to the regular level after April 15. Thanks

PART2

I will have a few sets slotted only in this first batch, so it’s covered. The rotors are approx $195 each if you need new ones. Unless you score the rotor somehow with abrasive pads, I wouldn’t expect you will need to get new ones anytime soon. I have 2 piece rotor kits on the 1st Maxima kits I made that have gone 40-50K miles and are just now starting to buy new ones.

PART3
The kits should be assembled to ship early next week, takes 5 days across country, Fed Ex ground, unless you want them sooner. You can order one as soon as next Monday.
The kit will fit the car as precisely as I can make it. I don’t sell kits that are poor fitting. You may have to shim the caliper one way or another depending on production tolerances, but that doesn’t happen very often. Rotors will be centered pretty close in the calipers.
The kit will have custom made rotors, Wilwood rotors are way more expensive than the ones I have made. It will come with Wilwood BP-10 pads. 6 pot kit add $300.
thanks,
Brian"
Sorry its $300 more for the 6POT until april 15th, after april 15th they will go to $1775

There you go as for update,

Waiting on mine, should be installed by next WED!!

Kam
Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 AM

ok...so what is going on here then ??

after taking tires off and inspecting my brake pads by me and a friend sionce i am not an expert i wanted a second opinion, well, seems likt i have more than enough brake pads left, rotors seem to be in good shape, no scratches or noticeable warp on them so why when i brake i feel like if the brake would catch the rotor, let it go slightly and catch it again, like if the rotors were warped or something like that, besides i am getting some noise like squeaking noise when i brake.

one thing i loved about this car was the stopping power, i drive hard, very hard and so i really loved the stopping power maxima offered but now i dont trust it , like i lost all confidence on the brake power but this was also checked by the dealer and they say it was ok also, so am i imagining thing ??

Luigi

Quick Reply: time for brakes