6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

4 k miles, daytime running light is out

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:26 PM

4 k miles, daytime running light is out

I remember that being a common problem.

What's the fix? Is it the stock bulbs (brand) or the bulb style?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 06:34 PM
SuPeRmOd

um, maybe the Canada forum can help? we are DRLess

fogs are known to go out...

besides, warranty item, have the dealer check it out.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The OEM DRL's are garbage. They burn out all the time. Go to Canadian Tire, spend $2.99 on the long life version and never change them again.

CM
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 AM

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:30 AM

wonder why they never put these in the US version?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:30 AM

Warning: it is a pain to get in there. The drivers side needs to have part of the intake removed to gain access. The passengers side you need small little monkey hands to get in there. That being said I changed mine with only a few cuts and bruises.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blulytes

'Merkins are suspicious of anything that automatically increases your safety. Like ABS or VDC. And probably a cost issue. Reduces the cost of the vehicle by about $2.00
Old 05-15-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
'Merkins are suspicious of anything that automatically increases your safety. Like ABS or VDC. And probably a cost issue. Reduces the cost of the vehicle by about $2.00
hahahahhaa
Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 AM

They also make the car consume more gas. I remember reading a study about DRLs a few years ago. Basically, if all cars in the US had them then it would increase gasoline usage by a more-than-insignificant amount... or so the study said.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
They also make the car consume more gas. I remember reading a study about DRLs a few years ago. Basically, if all cars in the US had them then it would increase gasoline usage by a more-than-insignificant amount... or so the study said.
Adding a 30W draw to the engine? Same as running upgraded bulbs or putting in any aftermarket cell phone charger or anything that puts a draw on the electrical system.

CM
Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Adding a 30W draw to the engine? Same as running upgraded bulbs or putting in any aftermarket cell phone charger or anything that puts a draw on the electrical system.

CM
A cell phone charger is much, much less than 30W. Take 30W and multiply it by XX million and see how much more energy is used, just by requiring daytime running lights.

Now that you mention it though, they might have been referring to making it mandatory to turn on your headlights during the day for safety... although even that wouldn't be a really big draw.

Either way, it was just a study I remember hearing about... not sure how true it was, or if I even recall all of the facts correctly.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:11 PM

I was thinking of using some 1157 LED's from autolumination. Any reason why these wouldn't work?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
dla

“Merkins” now did you get that from “W”!

Increase safety? Only when done properly and the use of a high beam as DRL’s is not adding to my safety.

I wouldn't put ABS and VDC in the same category as DRL’s. ABS is only there when you stomp on the brake pedal. VDC can be turned off. DRL's are on all the time (for most vehicles) regardless of driving conditions and DRL intensity.

I think DRL’s were implemented very poorly in the US and there have been many bad designs of DRL’s that were too bright and caused excessive glare. GM, BMW and Honda use the high beam on some models as DRL’s. This not only adds glare, but in some cases the high beam masks out the turn signal. Many other manufacturers use the low beam which is still too bright.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:32 PM
dla

Originally Posted by Monotaur

Yes DRL's do consume gas, so much to the point that in the 90’s GM requested for and received permission to disable their DRL’s when getting vehicle gas mileage estimates. The study I remember stated DRL’s would cost about $15 per year (that would be $45 in today gas price), but no idea as to how many miles per year. No big deal if it was only one vehicle…….

Originally Posted by Blulytes
Nissan is not the only one. Currently in the US Ford and Daimler-Chrysler only offer DRL’s on fleet vehicles, GM is introducing a DRL interrupter to turn off the DRL’s on some vehicles, Toyota stopped making vehicles with DRL’s as standard equipment and Nissan removed the DRL’s on some models. Maybe Canada has better restrictions on light intensity, but many Americans have complained about this issue.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:08 AM

No info on LED's?
Old 05-18-2006, 07:16 AM

LED's would be a good upgrade. Let us know how it works.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by cwepruk
No info on LED's?
mmm LEDs would work but you cant just plug and play them.
you need to add a load resistor to each DRL line (meaning splicing wires on headlamps near the engine where water and dust can get in!)

you need to put on load resistors or else your car thinks your DRL went out so it blinks really fast inside cabin and outside front and rear lights.
i installed the red LEDs thinking leds were better
but it uses less wattage so it blinks really fast. and i didnt want to add the load resistor not knowing where to place it. so i took them out.

GL
parts you can find at www.v-leds.com
Old 05-18-2006, 02:53 PM

I thought the resitors were only needed for blinking lights? the DRL's are on steady.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I thought the resitors were only needed for blinking lights? the DRL's are on steady.
Yup. Thats right.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:49 PM

mmm DRL - daytime running lights correct?
isnt your DRL the top signal lights?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by jingiko
mmm DRL - daytime running lights correct?
isnt your DRL the top signal lights?
that would be a PARK light.
in Canada they have a 4th bulb right above the fog light. it is on automatically with the car.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:29 AM
2004 Smoke

Most countries use DRLs now (started in Sweden I believe).
So many studies have shown the benefits (over any downsides), it isn't studied much anymore - now a given that they really save a lot of lives.

The US is a hold out - probably won't convert until it goes metric (i.e. never).

We are so used to them in Canada, I never really think about them until a bulb burns out.

When I take my Max to the States, I get a fair bit of light flashing from oncoming vehicles, as if to warn me my headlights are on in the daytime (or it is annoying that I have them on)...
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
SuPeRmOd

2004 Smoke,
I even came across this anti-DRL coalition on the net. They were seriously lobbying against them because they "distract, or blind traffic...". i think they're also against driving and fog lights.... also it supposedly hides bikers since their not the only one with lights on.

i doubt it will ever be required here. i don't mind, it's 2 less bulbs to replace and i have other options to light up if i feel the need.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 AM

Being that they are a weak 1157, I don't see how anyone could find them annoying. Even before DRL's, some provinces made headlights during the day mandatory.