6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Picked the wife up a new 6th Gen, just wanted to say "Hi!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:19 PM
KaZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Picked the wife up a new 6th Gen, just wanted to say "Hi!"

Picked up a slightly used '06 SE 6spd today.
Onyx over Black Leather, Driver's Preferred Package with Sunroof... $33,315 window sticker still in the glove box!

Local Infiniti Dealer had it listed originally at $28,995... marked down to $25,995 since last Friday... 3422 miles. Guy traded it in on a G35 Coupe... I used to work at the dealership about 4 years ago, and still new most of the management, and a few of the sales staff members, so they showed me they're invoice/purchase price at $25,695... which either meant they were lying, or they way over traded... Had been on the lot since some time in April, and the fact that they'd already dropped it $3k meant one of two things, if not both... they had not had any serious offers, and/or they were about to wholesale it as they couldn't sell it (a friend of mine that still sells told me this afternoon they'd had a few people check it out, but most walked away as soon as they saw it was a 6spd).

So anyway, wife and I were already preapproved for way more than we needed, and I looked into getting a brand new one worst case (she had her heart set on it) and I was quoted $27,582 for a brand new Maxima, EXACTLY the same up in Rockville, MD from Darcars... so I basically walked in today and took another quick test drive while the wife was getting her hair done. Sat down with the sales guy, told him straight they'd have to work on the price (previous Buyer's Order they showed me said $27,291 out the door). Guy reminded me of what they had in it supposedly and I said that was fine and dandy, but either they over traded on it, or they were fluffing the price, and that I could buy a brand new one for only $1500 more than what they were asking. He said "ok, give me a number to work with then". Flat out told them I'd give them $24k for the car, plus the usuals (title, tags, tax, processing, etc) which came to another $1232... standard affair.

Suprisingly, they said done deal... All said, the computer showed they lost $2295 on it... not sure if its legit, but I've got my '06 Maxima in the driveway!! =)

Anyway, I'll post pictures tomorrow... or this weekend. I have a few minor knicks and scratches to buff/polish out... black always is a PITA to care for... but its what the wife wanted (Maxima replaced our 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD that I'd just sold earlier today and suppliments our 1997 Maxima SE).

Anyway, night folks!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:25 PM
SuPeRmOd

sweet! welcome aboard to the 6th forum and enjoy your new family addition!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM

congrats...the wife wanted a 6-speed...Nice! Gotta love a woman who can handle a stick (no offense of course).
Old 05-16-2006, 09:57 PM

where the pics at?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 PM

The guy at the dealer was almost surely telling the truth when he said the 6 speed was the deal-breaker for most of those who checked the car out.

A few folks are 'bi-shifters' (or whatever the word is for those who like either an auto or manual tranny), but about 90% of buyers have no interest in a manual (just as some manual lovers have no interest in an auto tranny).

Back when I kept track of Maximas in stock at several dealers, I found most kept few manuals in stock. Small dealers usually had none or one, while larger dealers usually had from one to four - never more. Yet some of these dealers had upwards of thirty Maximas in stock.

Congrats on the shrewd purchase, and welcome to the Org!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 AM
KaZ

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The guy at the dealer was almost surely telling the truth when he said the 6 speed was the deal-breaker for most of those who checked the car out.

A few folks are 'bi-shifters' (or whatever the word is for those who like either an auto or manual tranny), but about 90% of buyers have no interest in a manual (just as some manual lovers have no interest in an auto tranny).

Back when I kept track of Maximas in stock at several dealers, I found most kept few manuals in stock. Small dealers usually had none or one, while larger dealers usually had from one to four - never more. Yet some of these dealers had upwards of thirty Maximas in stock.

Congrats on the shrewd purchase, and welcome to the Org!
Yeah it really did not surprise me... for one, 6spds come in Black, Charcoal, and Silver... that's it... and locally, there were about 100 Maxima SEs in stock... ALL AUTOMATIC! =( Dealership was almost a little worried the finance company was going to be a pain because they needed a "Book Out Sheet" or basically an "Invoice" so real market value on the car... but being a used 2006, they couldn't get an actual value from anywhere... they had KBB and NADA values on an '05, and the window sticker from the car (all of which they faxed in) but couldn't get an actual invoice for it... as it was used... sort of weird.

But yeah, I can see their issues with the sticks... which is probably why you can't buy an '07 Maxima with a stick anymore... =(

Originally Posted by Newblood
congrats...the wife wanted a 6-speed...Nice! Gotta love a woman who can handle a stick (no offense of course).
None taken... Thats more or less what I told them at the dealership... "My wife can drive stick... and I'm trying to keep it that way". My father owns an '05 Slushboxed SE... which she got the chance to drive last week... and she said she honestly preferred the stick... funny thing was, she didn't even realize it had a 6th gear until I mentioned it to her after we already had it home and in the driveway! "IT HAS SIX GEARS?!?!" lol... =)

Originally Posted by aria
where the pics at?

Dealer photo... for however long they leave it online...

I'll post more tonight...

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
sweet! welcome aboard to the 6th forum and enjoy your new family addition!
Thanks! =)

Wife was joking me that I'd want to take it to Texas at the end of the month for the National Z Convention (I'm a Z enthusiast as well, but I sold my '91 TT last year, and my '74 260Z is currently under restoration, so I'm planning to take and track my '97 SE while I'm out there at MSR in Texas and Oval Lap Texas Motor Speedway). But I told her for one, I just track prepped the '97 (Full Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires), and I wouldn't want to wreck out brand new '06 Maxima while I was out there... I don't think the insurance company would be all too happy with me... lol
Old 05-17-2006, 07:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

NO! take it to the "National Maxima Convention" aka MAXUS in texas at the end of the month: http://forums.maxima.org/forumdispla...aysprune=&f=82

Old 05-17-2006, 07:42 AM
*moderator*

Very nice and welcome aboard!! I'd say ditch the pinstripes. And for the 6 speeds it was something like 1 or 3% of production are 6spds, pretty rare, and true that most buyers of this car aren't interested in manual...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Very nice and welcome aboard!! I'd say ditch the pinstripes. And for the 6 speeds it was something like 1 or 3% of production are 6spds, pretty rare, and true that most buyers of this car aren't interested in manual...
Exactly why. Starting w/the 5.5 gen nissan only produced about 4% of manual maximas. So all 6 speeds are rare and most dealers don't have them in stock cause there are not many around. Manual transmisson cars are dying and that sucks. For nissan to ditch the 6 speed after 06 means the maxima isn't the 4dsc it use to be and that the altima is filling that space. SO SAD
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM
KaZ

Originally Posted by jsmithsole

Just pulled the pinstripe this afternoon while I was at lunch... I figured it was barely a few months old, or more than likely the place I just bought it from installed it (the General Manager thinks all used cars need pin stripes for some reason... I hate them, grr...). Took me like 10 minutes... just got the ends up, and slowly pulled moving along inch by inch to keep from breaking the stripe... just need to polish and wax it this weekend and then get her in the garage at night! =)

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Exactly why. Starting w/the 5.5 gen nissan only produced about 4% of manual maximas. So all 6 speeds are rare and most dealers don't have them in stock cause there are not many around. Manual transmisson cars are dying and that sucks. For nissan to ditch the 6 speed after 06 means the maxima isn't the 4dsc it use to be and that the altima is filling that space. SO SAD
Yeah, my brother noted this exact thing (he was previously a Nissan Tech at the local dealer, and is also an avid Nissan Enthusiast and keeps up on Nissan/Infiniti news). When he saw the latest '07 info he stated pretty much your opinion on the '07 Max and the '07 Altima replacing is as the "sportier" car... =( Maxima is truly no longer the "4 Door Sports Car" in the Nissan stables... Altima has definitely taken that position! =(

But the Altima definitely looks much better than the '06! =)

[Edit]

Picture, sans Pin Stripe (excuse the quality, its from my cell phone)

Old 05-18-2006, 02:07 PM
GrandPa

Good luck with your new ride.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:13 PM

I like it. You got a good deal on yours too, though it was slightly used. I just bought my '06 (replacing the '05) last week. It's pretty much the same as yours, only with the chrome wheels. We got ours for $29,200 -- about $2,000 below invoice (MSRP $34,895). I used to work at the dealership I bought mine from, too. So I got a pretty good deal on it.

My '05 didn't have DPP, and that was a worthwhile upgrade!

Anyway, welcome to the 6th Gen circle. You'll like it here.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:51 PM

That's a pretty good pic for a cell phone camera and a nice looking car. Good job ditching those stripes.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like you got a good deal. Welcome to the 6th generation!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 PM

welcome aboard.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:02 PM

umm... nice parking job??
Old 06-16-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
umm... nice parking job??
So nobody could park next to him and hit his car
Old 06-17-2006, 09:56 AM

Yeah but does it look like theres anyone around there? =D
Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 AM

is that a yellow parking ticket i see under the wipers??
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 PM

you got a really good deal