6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Who says 6th Gen Maximas aren't performance cars???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Who says 6th Gen Maximas aren't performance cars???

I am back from the 2006 Lone Pine Time Trials. I have been modding my car for more than a year, but i havent really done a lot of radical mods to the motor or suspension - intake, cat back exhaust, springs and rear sway bar, 300zx brakes . . oh yeah, reflashing ECU . .but we arent talking turbo here!! I havent had much of a chance to REALLY wring out the car to see what it can do . . until this weekend. All I can say is WOW. BIG WOW. You guys really have no idea what this car can do. It absolutely dazzled me and everyone else at the time trials. How good is a 6th gen Maxima in the performance department? Out of over 60 cars, I placed 3rd . . . .3rd TOP TIME OF DAY!!!!! Thats right. I won my class against some superb drivers, guys I have known over 20 years. One guy has been an driving instructor for over 25 years for BMW amd is a great driver and a gentleman. In case ur curious, the two cars that beat me were a go kart and a fully modified 2nd gen RX7 with HUGE slicks . . and they beat me by a couple seconds. And they are both very experienced drivers. Some examples of cars I beat among the over 60 entrants were a CSP 350Z, gutted, loud and fast-looking, BMW M3, V-8 powered 280Z, several 2002 and 320i BMWs, Subaru WRX Sti etc.(all driven by exeprienced drivers).

I give most of the credit to the Maxima. It was amazing. Until I just blatantly drove the wrong line and hit the "marbles" did it spin out on me. Had I not spun, I would likely had top time of day. The performance capabilities of this car is truly astounding. I only race once a year now, so in the hands of a really capable driver, Id really love to see the 6th gen in action.

We can all take a freeway ramp or mountain curve fast, but you guys dont see the true potential of this car until you race it in an organized meet, like a time trial, autocross or road race. When I was done with each run, it left me breathless and amazed and grinning like u cant believe. After each run, my kids came running over and told me how fast the car looked and how low the times were. Other drivers gave me similar comments, including how incredible it sounded. I just had to share with you guys. Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
.org extraordinaire

Atta boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you DEUS this thing has pottential.

This site has some pics of my ride chasing down a TT Supra done up to the ti*s.

http://www.spectrophotography.ca/Han..._MorningII.htm

Chased him all day and last lap of last session I was on his tail. He punched it hard and his back end kicked out and his front end kicked the pit lane wall.

Look over the pics.

Kamski
Old 05-21-2006, 08:18 PM

Sweet Dues!!!!! Good to know your out there representing the max strong!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 PM

Nice going Deus...way to make us proud!

Kamil, noticed you're from Whitby ON. I used to live in TO from '82 - '86...and I know where Whitby is! Tell me has the weather there been as bad as it has here in Montreal? It has been pissing every day for the last 10 days in a row and even the ducks are leaving. Even people that moved here from VAN are moving back! and to top it off people are jumping out of high rises! Sad...very sad! LOL

I like UR lowered ride...nice!

Majestic: I have the same Grille, I like your wheels. I have four questions;

1. Where did you get those yellow fogs? They look cool. Are they durable? I put on Silverstars and they keep blowing.
2. How did you tint the side marker lights?
3. How did you tint the cornering lights?
4. How did you get the Nissan lettering on the front calipers?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:07 PM
GOOSE'05

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
oh yeah, reflashing ECU ..
What exactly does this entell and where did you have it done? $$$?? Congrats on the awesome results and keep up the good work.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by GOOSE'05
What exactly does this entell and where did you have it done? $$$?? Congrats on the awesome results and keep up the good work.
Technosquare reflashes our ECU and the result is great. Im not sure if its perfected. Look for the Technosquare thread on here.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:21 PM

good stuff deus im glad to hear that...when you say times you mean 1/4 times or actual track times? if they are 1/4 post them, and if they are actual track numbers post those as well, and id also really like to know where i can run my car on one of those. i would seriosly love too.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:46 AM

pics or videos? congrats on placing 3rd! great way to represent
Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 AM

Pics will be developed, no vids Im sorry to say. My times were low 1:40's for 2/5 mile course going one irection, and 1:30 the next day going the other direction. Keep in mind, that only a couple cars beat me, and by no more than 2-3 seconds.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Moderator GT-R

I am back from the 2006 Lone Pine Time Trials. I have been modding my car for more than a year, but i havent really done a lot of radical mods to the motor or suspension - intake, cat back exhaust, springs and rear sway bar, 300zx brakes . . oh yeah, reflashing ECU . .but we arent talking turbo here!! I havent had much of a chance to REALLY wring out the car to see what it can do . . until this weekend. All I can say is WOW. BIG WOW. You guys really have no idea what this car can do. It absolutely dazzled me and everyone else at the time trials. How good is a 6th gen Maxima in the performance department? Out of over 60 cars, I placed 3rd . . . .3rd TOP TIME OF DAY!!!!! Thats right. I won my class against some superb drivers, guys I have known over 20 years. One guy has been an driving instructor for over 25 years for BMW amd is a great driver and a gentleman. In case ur curious, the two cars that beat me were a go kart and a fully modified 2nd gen RX7 with HUGE slicks . . and they beat me by a couple seconds. And they are both very experienced drivers. Some examples of cars I beat among the over 60 entrants were a CSP 350Z, gutted, loud and fast-looking, BMW M3, V-8 powered 280Z, several 2002 and 320i BMWs, Subaru WRX Sti etc.(all driven by exeprienced drivers).

I give most of the credit to the Maxima. It was amazing. Until I just blatantly drove the wrong line and hit the "marbles" did it spin out on me. Had I not spun, I would likely had top time of day. The performance capabilities of this car is truly astounding. I only race once a year now, so in the hands of a really capable driver, Id really love to see the 6th gen in action.

We can all take a freeway ramp or mountain curve fast, but you guys dont see the true potential of this car until you race it in an organized meet, like a time trial, autocross or road race. When I was done with each run, it left me breathless and amazed and grinning like u cant believe. After each run, my kids came running over and told me how fast the car looked and how low the times were. Other drivers gave me similar comments, including how incredible it sounded. I just had to share with you guys. Hopefully the moderators wont move this thread as its very relevant to the 6th gen forum and NOT the autoX forum.
Sounds like a good time to me! Good work.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Not for rookies!!

Great job man!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 AM
*moderator*

Nice Deus, I knew you'd nail it!! Even with a spin you pulled out a 3rd, Maxima represent!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Awesome job!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOT!
knew youd do it deus!
did you have a bigg billboard vinyl of maxima.org on your door?
haha
:also: where can i get this maxima.org vinyl?
i want to put one on each side of my windows to represent nyc of course.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:22 AM

Good job fella!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 AM

[beer] [thumbsup] Great Job!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Newbie just Registered

Cool... Congrats on the result. Can you give some details on how the mods performed compare to last year?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Cool... Congrats on the result. Can you give some details on how the mods performed compare to last year?
Good question. Last year I had rims and tires but not much else for performance. I competed in stock class. This year the car felt really really strong and stuck like glue. I have done all my mods since the last race - exhaust, intake, ECU, brakes and it really shows. Even stock, the Max ran well.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Way to go!

Great job (as usual) Deus!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
GrandPa

Great job. I will be doing the 1/4 mile on June 24th at English Town, NJ.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:47 PM

Way to go Deus! Wish I could have seen it in action.

Have you ever dyno'd your Maxima? I am curious to know the power output it has with the existing mods.

I just love the fact that you toasted several BMWs. It really gives the Maxima its due respect, esp. against the "Ultimate Driving Machine."
Old 05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

big congrats to you!!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:08 PM

great !! good job an good to see you back safe...

what mods do you have in mind for next year ??

Luigi
Old 05-22-2006, 04:45 PM

THAT"S AWSOME DUDE!!!

Congrats...it's great to know our journeys have a happy ending

Old 05-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Awesome job!
i knew you're fast.
cuz your max already looks fast standing still.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Deus, it HAS to be the ROOF wing!!!! Great friggin job!!!!! Hammer those BMW's into the ground.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:11 PM

Congrats man. Mods make the difference. I had a TL hit my Max and take off. Bieng the typical Mad Max driver I chased him. His car looked to be stock too as mine is. I can tell you the TL out corners the Max hands down. A few month a go I test drove 3 cars for Car and Driver and Road and track in LI, NY and The Max came in 2nd. We did beat the Chrysler but that don't say much. The Suprisingly so that old fart looking Toyota Avalon out performed and had better cabin design. Don't get me wrong I LOVE MY MAX and I'm buying another! I just wish they would put a little more effort in. I bet you guys woth mods must love it. Keep up the good work and I will be at Englishtown with a friend running a green 92LX "South Shore Motor Sports" . Hope to see ya there.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:51 PM

Deus,
So how did you get into autocross? Is it hard to do? I have always been interested in doing it but have no idea where to start.

Its got to feel good to just be able to open up your car on a track. No paranoia or cops, just the freedom to hit the throttle and go.

If you have any ideas, let me know. It sounds like fun.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great job! and a grand showing of the Max's true potential.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:18 AM

AutoX is a blast. I have never raced a car of my own, but have riden in several, and it definately shows you what a car can do. If potential buyers of Maximas being motorsport driven at all rode with you for a lap, they would be at the dealership on Monday and on the internet buying parts on Tuesday. The track is where it's at for full on maxing out a cars potential. Congrats on the great work man. Sweet ride!
Old 05-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Awesome job Deus, congratulations. I don't think there can be a better rep for 6th gen than what you have accomplished.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_matt
Way to go Deus! Wish I could have seen it in action.

Have you ever dyno'd your Maxima? I am curious to know the power output it has with the existing mods.

I just love the fact that you toasted several BMWs. It really gives the Maxima its due respect, esp. against the "Ultimate Driving Machine."
I'll bet the other drivers where really shocked to see the Maxima come in so strong. What did they have to say for themselves, or should I say their cars?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 PM

Many drivers were indeed shocked to see a large "family sedan" near top time of day. I, too, was shocked. I saw the heavily modded 350z and STi in my class and figured I would be there to have fun and see what the Max could do. I had no idea that not only would I give them a run for the money, but that Id beat them. The other drivers were not only shocked but were very gracious and came over to shake hands (one guy even bowed to me and he has been a sort of driving mentor to me for over 20 years). Its true that if any potential buyers, sat right seat with me in one lap, after we mopped up the pee, they would down buying a Maxima. The car is truly astounding and my reason for this thread was NOT to boast about my driving, but to show how incredible the Maxima is performance-wise. Boy I wish I had an in-car video!!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_matt
Deus,
So how did you get into autocross? Is it hard to do? I have always been interested in doing it but have no idea where to start.

Its got to feel good to just be able to open up your car on a track. No paranoia or cops, just the freedom to hit the throttle and go.

If you have any ideas, let me know. It sounds like fun.

sooo...the question is... ^^
Old 05-24-2006, 06:30 PM

Sorry. I started autocrossing in 1985. I talked to some local guys who did it and they gave me the telephone number to the local hotline here in the LA area -818-988-RACE. I learned of autocrossing in San Diego as well. Lone Pine Time Trials started in about 1970 to do a high speed event with relaxed rules. I know that the website for LA region is www.solo2.com. I would check your local region at the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) website www.scca.com and look for solo 2 or autocross. Let me know how it goes.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:20 PM

Congrats, Deus! (Also, clever name. lol) You done the Maxima crowd proud.

Also, thanks for the racing info. Though, I doubt I could compete with my 5-speed automatic. heh. Have you taken any sort of performance driving courses?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by highwaycruiser
Congrats, Deus! (Also, clever name. lol) You done the Maxima crowd proud.

Also, thanks for the racing info. Though, I doubt I could compete with my 5-speed automatic. heh. Have you taken any sort of performance driving courses?
I have never taken any really formalized driving courses. I have done one or two 1 day driving schools but they werent particularly helpful, possibly to a small extent. I always seemed to have a knack for driving. I studied how to drive, talked to people, learned about the driving line and to apex late in turns. Im not a brilliant driver, but I imagine Im a force to be reckoned with. I wish I had time to drive more because the true potential of the Maxima would really be unleashed.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:45 AM

......Boy I wish I had an in-car video!!!!
Me too. Will it be your next MOD?!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I have never taken any really formalized driving courses. I have done one or two 1 day driving schools but they werent particularly helpful, possibly to a small extent. I always seemed to have a knack for driving. I studied how to drive, talked to people, learned about the driving line and to apex late in turns. Im not a brilliant driver, but I imagine Im a force to be reckoned with. I wish I had time to drive more because the true potential of the Maxima would really be unleashed.
Deus, Last year your daughter took some great shots, anyone shoot some pics of you this year???

Oh and +1 on the inside VID camera for next year...
Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 AM
STFU n00b!

You 6th Gens need to come to Maxus and drive in our track event so you can see what they'll actually do on a road course. Every single one of you will be amazed how fast they actually are.

Quick Reply: Who says 6th Gen Maximas aren't performance cars???