6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shift_2.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:05 PM

Shift_2.0

Anyone else notice the commercials Nissan is running for the '07 models? They're calling it Shift_2.0, and they show scenes "music-video-style", with words like "Excitement_2.0" and "Fun_2.0" flashing over the scene.

Quick shots of the cars, all in profile, but it's a nice commercial and it shows they are planning on promoting them!

Cool.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:03 PM

What's the whole 2.0 thing? For some reason, my mind converts it to litres and to hear 2.0 makes me think it's a step back. I'm sure that's not the case......just curious what the new shift_ 2.0 means.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Shift was the concept they came up with and now they are in the next phase so I guess they came up with upgrades to the model lines and therefore call it 2.0 like a software upgrade, instead the cars are upgraded.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:17 PM

i dunno i like shift_exhileration the best.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:53 PM
.org extraordinaire

i liked

shift_ "i squished my orange"

the best. Where the guy touched the maxima and squished his oranges.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Kam, every time I look at your icon I crack up, it really reflects your involvment in the forum and a "hobby"

Love your upgrades dude
Old 06-12-2006, 06:56 AM

Until they change the way the maxima looks I dont care.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Kam, every time I look at your icon I crack up, it really reflects your involvment in the forum and a "hobby"

Love your upgrades dude
HAHAHAH, that little spaz is me for sure.

Kam
Old 06-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
That was how I felt also about the 6G. But something funny happened in a Kohls parking lot. I saw a Smoke 06 Maxima 3.5SE parked next to an Anthracite 05 Acura TL and actually felt that the Maxima looked sharper. That was the first time I felt that way.

With the 6.5G (07 MY), it looks like Nissan is finally upgrading from that HORRIBLE interior that cursed the 04-06 models. Although I will reserve total judgment until I drive the 6.5G, I would consider it as an upgrade from my 5.5G.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com

Love your upgrades dude

So true! to Kam
Old 06-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
That was how I felt also about the 6G. But something funny happened in a Kohls parking lot. I saw a Smoke 06 Maxima 3.5SE parked next to an Anthracite 05 Acura TL and actually felt that the Maxima looked sharper. That was the first time I felt that way.

With the 6.5G (07 MY), it looks like Nissan is finally upgrading from that HORRIBLE interior that cursed the 04-06 models. Although I will reserve total judgment until I drive the 6.5G, I would consider it as an upgrade from my 5.5G.
I like my interior! I haven't had a problem with it and it looks sharp!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I like my interior! I haven't had a problem with it and it looks sharp!
Yeah, I kinda thought the same thing. But I also didn't agree with the other poster's feeling that the 6th Gen looks crappy. I think it makes the earlier gen's all look like pookey. (And I used to own one of those earlier gen's!)
Old 06-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Although I think that the 6th gen interior is the best designed, (I, personally, love the simple, clean lines throughout the whole design), I think it is also the most blah from a build-quality standpoint (I can feel the mold lines on armrests of the doors.... the glove box door is not flush on both sides... other little details that Nissan usually doesn't miss).
Old 06-14-2006, 05:56 AM

Sorry but this is what Nissan should have done with the 6G from the start:

^^ the cleaned up frontend has a nice CTS look to it.

^^ and finally a decklid treatment that works well with that body style.

Depending on build quality and price, there is now the possibility of a 6G...er...6.5G being in my garage (provided, I cannot obtain a good deal on the G35S/X or Acura TL).
Old 06-14-2006, 06:21 AM

I actually like the gauges independant of the 'hooded' dash that is common to the other gens. I prefer the three circled, dash on our 6th-ers.

The front reminds me too much of an Altima. I also tend to think Nissan paid more attention to the Altima than the Max.

Makes me wonder what the future holds for the Max......
Old 06-14-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by F23A4
Sorry but this is what Nissan should have done with the 6G from the start:

^^ the cleaned up frontend has a nice CTS look to it.

^^ and finally a decklid treatment that works well with that body style.

Depending on build quality and price, there is now the possibility of a 6G...er...6.5G being in my garage (provided, I cannot obtain a good deal on the G35S/X or Acura TL).
To be honest, I don't see anything in the interior pictures released so far that looks much different from the current Maxima ... except of course the hood over the gauges.

There are "minor" trim piece changes, but the pictures are too dark to be able to tell - for instance - if the faux suede is still used on the doors, if the vinyls and plastics are higher quality, etc. (Don't get me wrong - I like the faux suede fine.) But to say this is what they should have done all along puzzles me. It pretty much IS what they did all along!

And, keeping in mind tastes differ considerably, I cringed when you said the front end looks more CTS-like. I despise the CTS, and I don't want the Maxima to look even remotely like a CTS.

Having said that, I do like the new grille ... even though it's now not very distinctive. I also like the cornering lights on the '04-'06's, and think the foglights add to the "generic" look of the front.

I guess we'll forever have some earlier-Gen owners who'll throw rocks at the 6th Gen, but I'm one who didn't and doesn't now. I think the 6th Gen is the best styling job to come out of Nissan since the original Z.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM

Well put Mike!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It does look sweet (07). I like the spoiler and the rear portion near the bumpers that is colored in black. That makes a huge improvement for the rear but no LED tails. I dont undertand that. The front looks nicer with the fogs in the lower bumper area. The CVT will make or break the Max even with the improvements. I hope its worth the wait.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ajcool2

Same chit, different day. Amazing the other gens love to come over to the 6 forum and chime in.

The hateraid is STRONG at the org.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
dko
duck and cover

SHIFT_Happens
Old 06-20-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I guess we'll forever have some earlier-Gen owners who'll throw rocks at the 6th Gen, but I'm one who didn't and doesn't now. I think the 6th Gen is the best styling job to come out of Nissan since the original Z.
Dear Lord!! But, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Thankfully there is a now a 6.5G, which looks to be the 1st 6G I feel inclined to test drive. Shift_2.0
Old 06-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Shift Goes Out the Window With Loss of Manual Trannie

Check out the NissanUSA site and see that you can no longer get a manual trannie in an 07 Max. Nissan thus needs to change their "Shift" campaign to a "NO Shift" campaing with their CV trannie. I will no longer buy a Max if I can't get it with a manual trannie. * What a Crock !
Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
Check out the NissanUSA site and see that you can no longer get a manual trannie in an 07 Max. Nissan thus needs to change their "Shift" campaign to a "NO Shift" campaing with their CV trannie. I will no longer buy a Max if I can't get it with a manual trannie. * What a Crock !
is the 2007 going to be available with a CVT? it would be cool to see what the performance numbers are like. and if it's computer controlled (almost certainly) perhaps JWT or someone like that can release a tuned CVT profile to yield more aggresive results. or even better, if someone released an in-car tuning appliance, almost like a boost controller for your trans...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by dko
is the 2007 going to be available with a CVT?...
The only trannie option for an 07 SE will be an auto trannie (presumably the 5 speed) to replace the normal trannie on most SE's -- a CVT.

But the Altima SE-R has the 6-speed manual trannie as the standard trannie. Looks like my next car will be an "R" -- but I'd rather have a 6-speed in a Max.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only trannie option for an 07 SE will be an auto trannie (presumably the 5 speed) to replace the normal trannie on most SE's -- a CVT.

But the Altima SE-R has the 6-speed manual trannie as the standard trannie. Looks like my next car will be an "R" -- but I'd rather have a 6-speed in a Max.
Where are you getting this info? Everything I've read says that the *only* transmission available will be a CVT.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Go to NissanUSA and click on Maxima, then click on build you own. This is all shown under options for building them. The Altima info is under Altima on the same site.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go to NissanUSA and click on Maxima, then click on build you own. This is all shown under options for building them. The Altima info is under Altima on the same site.
I think this is still the CVT. I went to build an SE '07 Maxima, and on the first screen it said "XTronic XCT...". And then later it gave the option of selecting a transmission, but the only selection was "Automatic". So, I'm sure that this is just the CVT (afterall, the CVT is still an automatic transmission).
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 PM

I disagree. It says that the CVT is the normal transmission and the automatic is a transmission option (different from the normal).
Old 06-20-2006, 07:46 PM

The '07 brochure shows no optional transmission. The CVT is the only transmission for the Maxima.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
The '07 brochure shows no optional transmission. The CVT is the only transmission for the Maxima.
I was wrong. I read the line "select transmission" on the web site -- when in fact Nissan does not let you choose a transmission -- you can only get the CVT. Then they went and called the CVT an "automatic transmission" -- which is not what I would call a CV trannie, but that is what Nissan is calling it. Hope they realize that some enthusiasts don't want a CVT and offer more trannie options in the future.