6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

My encounter with an 07...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 PM
KC's FINEST

My encounter with an 07...

I was able to finally get my hands on one today... In short, WOW! I would have never expexted the amount of power that it had with the CVT. Im not real sure what you all want to hear about it... It was extremely responsive, even with the salesman and the air running on max. There is very little road noise and nothing squeaked or rattled! I recall someone suggesting at highway speeds to hard brake and then get on it to see the response... Beautiful! This thing handled like a dream and it felt like it had way more to give. I drove it pretty hard, putting it through the gears at pretty much redline with little effort. The interior is extremely different. The dash cluster looks great with the white LED guages, the tacky cloth "suede" has been replaced with what appears to be real suede. I was able to see both NAV and non and they both looks nice. I lifted the hood and from what I can tell there is no visual difference. The cabin seemed to be a little narrower, the armrest dosent lift forward like the 6th gen's, and they put the different buttons for the seats, heated wheel ect. in diferent places. Im going to post some pics and if anyone has any ?'s feel free to ask! All I can say is... Go drive one! Im very impressed...

Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
KC's FINEST

They were wondering why I was taking so many pictures. I told them that some of us were anxious for the arrival. I told the salesman I wanted to take the camera along to get a vid of the ride and they said theyd rather I didnt... Oh well, It wouldnt have showed much anyway. The smart key is kinda neat, and the rear sensors were different. Heres more pics

Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Still has that orange text on the audio and climate display! i thought they were getting rid of that? ftmfl
Old 06-20-2006, 02:46 PM
KC's FINEST

Another thing is the spoiler looks like it would fit our cars with no problems. Ive got them checking on prices. My salesman wasent hesitant to tell me that the 08's were going to be completely redesinged and since these 07's were on the lot someone could get a brand new 06 pretty cheap...
Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
KC's FINEST

Heres a pic of a black SE with factory chrome wheels

Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Not for rookies!!

Good job with the pics man.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:51 PM
KC's FINEST

I have a few more... I plan on making another trip this week to figure some numbers. I'll take more then. I wish I would have taken a better shot of the exhaust. The got rid of the ugly slip on chrome cover look and has what appears to be magnaflow replicas. On my magnaflows they kind of taper inside at a slant. The tips look extremely thick and these on the 07 are just like them.

GO DRIVE THESE GUYS... YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

Bluetooth button on wheel seem handy. The handsfree speaker is above in the light console. There is some kind of light (maybe strobe) in the light console for when the phone rings.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

KC; I was waiting for this.

1. How does that CVT feel and what does the exhaust sound like since it doesn't shift like a conventional transmission, I can only picture it sounding like a boat when you push the lever up (one gear mono tone).

2. I heard it is faster with the CVT can you tell the difference in speed between the CVT and the 5 speed auto.

3. In your opinion, if you had money to burn and you owned a 06, would you trade for a 07 and why.

4. What is the price for DPP with NAV, are they willing to sell it for invoice.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 PM
KC's FINEST

I tried to take one showing the two toned interior. The headliner is strange... Cant really describe it.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:11 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
KC; I was waiting for this.

1. How does that CVT feel and what does the exhaust sound like since it doesn't shift like a conventional transmission, I can only picture it sounding like a boat when you push the lever up (one gear mono tone).

2. I heard it is faster with the CVT can you tell the difference in speed between the CVT and the 5 speed auto.

3. In your opinion, if you had money to burn and you owned a 06, would you trade for a 07 and why.

4. What is the price for DPP with NAV, are they willing to sell it for invoice.
The CVT felt very strong! I also own an 04 Murano and it has the CVT. After drinving it all the time I wasent really looking forward to it in a Max. I was wrong! This felt nothing like my Mo. And as far as noise, these cars are so restricted from the factory that there really wasent any. I reved it a few times while standing in the door and it sounded like any other family car.. It is fun to use the auto stick through 6 gears! As far as trading... I really cant say. If I had a brand new 06 and could get a good enough deal I probably would... Im still pretty far off from hitting 30K in my 04 so I might end up waiting for the new 08 body style. Unless the deal is too good to pass. As far as pricing, I didnt even noticed the stickers in the windows yet. They "Just" came off the truck when I got there. Most of them went straight to service. I will post prices soon, Im going back to drive an SL
Old 06-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Cool Member

Exhaust looks good, better than what we have. Does it sound better?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Looks like the same slacker who put the exhaust on the 04 - 06 is still in business. The pipes are not hanging evenly. I like the pics and your remarks here are leaning me towards getting rid of mine. The only thing so far I don't like is the cheap looking wheels. Everything else seems like an improvement.
My dealer said I have to put $500 down so he can get one to me tomorrow if I want to buy it. This guy must be on drugs, I want one but I am not putting money down on something I haven't driven yet. He said it would be refunded but the fact of paying just to get a test drive didn't sit well with me.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:35 PM

all this info is making me want to go out and get an 07, but before going into any of that i'm going to test drive one to get a taste of it hehe
Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM

KC; Any improvement in the sound system? Looks like the best way to go is add a sub to the Bose system if it sounds like last years model. I would hate to spend that much money on the top model and have to spend money on aftermarket stereo components. With that CVT I bet an aftermarket exhaust is going to sound weird.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Good job, and great pix. That Pebble Beach color looks like my Spirited Bronze!

I sure wish they didn't put that big old honky spoiler on all the SE's though. I like my current lip spoiler, but that new one is a little ricey for my tastes.

I'm going out of town tomorrow morning, but I'll snag a test drive as soon as I get back. I'm sure it'll be old news by then, but I want to see what the CVT does to it.

Thanks for the post!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:08 PM
KC's FINEST

KC; Any improvement in the sound system? Looks like the best way to go is add a sub to the Bose system if it sounds like last years model. I would hate to spend that much money on the top model and have to spend money on aftermarket stereo components. With that CVT I bet an aftermarket exhaust is going to sound weird.
I meant to take a pic of the trunk area. It looks like they may have added either bigger rear speakers or even subs to the 07. Mine (04) has pretty much a flat appearance under neath the rear deck where the speakers mount. The 07 had two big box shapes under the speakers which seemed to take away trunk space... Quit wasting time here and find one to drive!! I will take more pics this week and who knows, maybe bring one home. Id love to pull in in mine and end up leaving in a new one with all my goodies on it already. One more thing, of all 8 I saw, none had the skyroof..?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:08 PM

i like the new changes except the front. ill stick to the 04-06 front end.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM

All the dealers in my area tell me the only places on the east cost that have cars are South Carolina and up. They lie so much its hard to believe anything they say. I will keep calling all the dealers in my area till someone shows me a car. I am very anxious to find out for myself. Until then, I will keep buggin you KC
Old 06-20-2006, 04:23 PM

KC; do you get any wheel spin out of the CVT or massive torque steer to the left or right when you accelerate. That will be my last 2 part question, I promise.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:28 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

nice, I don't think they arrived here yet..
Old 06-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Thank you KC,

I couldn't find one around here just yet to drive. I really like mine, so it will take some wowee-ing me to talk me into one. I'm sure the CVT is nice, I am just so leery of it. I kind of freak out at changes.

I will run out and jump in one as soon as my stealerships can get their hands on one.

About trading in my '05'........I'm not on that ship yet......

Thank you again KC!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 PM

4MySwee; My dealer in VA said there are two SE models somewhere in SC with DPP. You may want to check your local dealer and have them do a search on their computer. I believe she said one was Winter Frost and the other was Radiant Silver...
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Looks pretty damn good and that front 4x4 wheel gap doesnt look so big anymore and why the hell dont they put in stock LED lights yet mo's Z's have em prolly even sentras but not their flagship? even hyundais have LED lighting
Old 06-20-2006, 04:50 PM

4MySwee; My dealer in VA said there are two SE models somewhere in SC with DPP. You may want to check your local dealer and have them do a search on their computer. I believe she said one was Winter Frost and the other was Radiant Silver...
Thank you 3.5Lover,

I checked Benson Nissan in Spartanburg. No go, at least according to their website. (I looked over their Easley, SC store too!)

I also checked Crown Nissan in Greenville, and still nothing according to their website as well.

I never thought to have them check who has received them. That's a great idea.

Thank you,

Swee
Old 06-20-2006, 04:59 PM

How's the torque steer? is there any shimmy?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FrostMaxima
How's the torque steer? is there any shimmy?
Please, for the love of God, please don't let there be a shimmy YET AGAIN!

Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 PM

Swee; what you see on-line and what is in the inventory varies so much. I actually found one on-line that wasn't on the dealer inventory listing. Try both but sooner or later something has to come up. I should have asked my dealer which dealer in SC had the two 07's.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:18 PM

Nice write up, but I head from my Uncle who works for Nissan Corp. office in LA and he said the new Max will be an 09 Model and that they are going to run this "6.5" gen for 2 model years.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Nice write up, but I head from my Uncle who works for Nissan Corp. office in LA and he said the new Max will be an 09 Model and that they are going to run this "6.5" gen for 2 model years.
Did he say what was planned for the '09 (direct injection for power increase, AWD, anything of that sort)? That might help some of our buying decisions.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:30 PM

Swee; what you see on-line and what is in the inventory varies so much. I actually found one on-line that wasn't on the dealer inventory listing. Try both but sooner or later something has to come up. I should have asked my dealer which dealer in SC had the two 07's.
Alright, good thought on that!

I'll cruise down tomorrow and check out Crown! I'm not sure Benson would have them anyway, after having a fire 2 weeks ago. Not much room to store new units.

I'll take pics if there is one there tomorrow. Especially after my
Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM

I drove a SL today and it was nice but I like my 05 better. The front of the 07 looks like an 07 camery to me. It does perform pretty good. They are definatly going after the grey hairs with this car. But that is alright. I am keeping my 05 that is for sure.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Did he say what was planned for the '09 (direct injection for power increase, AWD, anything of that sort)? That might help some of our buying decisions.
He did not give any details on features that the 7th gen will have, but thats the planned model year for the 7th gen. As he get updates down the line I will let you know.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
He did not give any details on features that the 7th gen will have, but thats the planned model year for the 7th gen. As he get updates down the line I will let you know.
Cool, thanks.

It didn't make sense to me that Nissan would make these kind of changes and then only run them for 1 year before a completely new redesign for the '08.

Glad to know that that isn't the case.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:34 PM

like the spoiler!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by kidd4l
Exhaust looks good, better than what we have. Does it sound better?

Yes, it looks like there isn't that seam at the bottom of the tips. Can 04-06 tips be readily exchanged for the 07s? It would make a significant improvement in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:08 PM

I agree with Kublix,

There isn't a whole lot that impresses me, at least not according to the pictures. As for 3.5Lover, I ran down to the dealership tonight. They won't be getting any 07's for about 3 weeks.

I am not particularly fond of the ***** on the dash, nor the split screen. I like the buttons on our current dashes. I also like the tri-circular gauges. I notice we lose those and go back to the 'hooded look'. Unimpressive.......

To me, the grill looks like a cheap, black, plastic based grill. Yuck!!!! I do like the fogs on the bottom. As a sacrifice, you surrender the cornering lights, and I LOVE those.

Too many cons, I think I will keep my 05! At this point I feel like they'd have to pry it from my fingers.

Just my unasked for opinion.......
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I agree with Kublix,

There isn't a whole lot that impresses me, at least not according to the pictures. As for 3.5Lover, I ran down to the dealership tonight. They won't be getting any 07's for about 3 weeks.

I am not particularly fond of the ***** on the dash, nor the split screen. I like the buttons on our current dashes. I also like the tri-circular gauges. I notice we lose those and go back to the 'hooded look'. Unimpressive.......

To me, the grill looks like a cheap, black, plastic based grill. Yuck!!!! I do like the fogs on the bottom. As a sacrifice, you surrender the cornering lights, and I LOVE those.

Too many cons, I think I will keep my 05! At this point I feel like they'd have to pry it from my fingers.

Actually, the '07 still has cornering lights, but now they are integrated into the headlight package (so they just traded plases with the fogs).

As for the changes to the '07, I actually like most of them. I really like the front now with the fogs where they should be but like you I don't like the single hooded guage cluster or the control *****. I don't know why manufacturers are going back to *****???

Also, I like the rear bumper. I'm not too crazy about the spoiler (I actually really like the lip spoiler - anything else is too ricey for me).

And so far I'm encouraged by the CVT results... but I guess I won't know first hand until I get to test drive one!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I agree with Kublix,

I'm with you on most of that. The hooded thing would be okay, but it looks kinda "skimped", i.e., the hood just barely manages to cover the gauges. And of course, it isn't as unique as the old design.

The grille does look a little plasticky now, like you say. I like losing the tooth, but in exchange, we seem to have gone all black plastic.

The foglights seem kinda odd to me, since they're recessed into squarish holes in the rather chunky bumper shroud. Looks like a good placeto collect dirt and other road debris. Remember though that the cornering lights are now integrated into the headlight cluster, so they aren't gone.

Not all bad ... may just take a little getting used to.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:15 PM

yea i was going to post today when i got out of work i test drove one myself today....an SE model and it really drives great not for nothing....not sure how its going to react to any modding but the thing moves.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:12 AM
GrandPa

Great pictures. There is nothing there that I would trade my car in for.

Quick Reply: My encounter with an 07...