6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Koni/KYB-AGX or KYB GR2/KYB GR2

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
.org extraordinaire

Koni/KYB-AGX or KYB GR2/KYB GR2

Guys I'm trying to decide which struts to get....

Koni Red Adjustables Front from Activetuning
KYB-AGX Adjustable Rear from Activetuning

$355 front
$255 rear
-----------
$610 + shipping

or

KYB-GR2 Gas dual valve struts fronts from Cattman
KYB-GR2 Gas dual valve struts rears from Cattman

$215 for set
------------
$215 + shipping to Canada

Now I know the GR2 dampen both ways, while the Konis only dampen one way. But the Konis are adjustable even though they are inserts.

I drive my car as part of my job and track it once in a while.

Which strut setup would you guys recommend for me?

Brian from Catman and Activetuning fellas please chime in. Also anyone who has either the Koni/AGX or the GR2's all around please chime in.

Does anyone have close up shots of the Konis do they looks like a quality product or is it a mickey mouse setup.
Does anyone know how the GR2's would react to a 1.7" drop as per the Cattman springs? I know KYB will void the warranty on anything more then 1.5".......

Lord have mercy I cant decide.
Thanks in advance fellas.

Kamski
Old 06-30-2006, 02:17 PM
.org extraordinaire

NISSANCLUB Altima Setup

This is pretty impressive, any word on the GR2s?

Stickies are great, lots of decent info, but on thease setups its mostly Altima info. Now I know our car is almost 600lbs heavier then a 2.5S and about 130lbs heavier then a SE-R so I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the Maxima.

Kamski
Old 07-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I prefer adjustablility, but some people may just want dampers that u install and leave alone. Since my car sees track time too, I will be getting the Koni adjustables soon. Also, I plan on ordering the Altima SE-R sway bar today and install it next weekend.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:55 PM

I put Progress in the back earlier this week. Just got the front springs on today with GR2's. Will get GR2 on the back tomorrow. As advertised, the back did drop about .75" and the front about 1.5-1.75”. Front wheelarch gap just under an inch. I only tried my new setup to the grocery store. The damping was better both ways, keeping the car more level on straight bumpy roads (my sore back didn't hurt). The progression of the springs is great. The ride is not stiffer, just more level.

I drove an Alti SE-R last December and found the ride too stiff/painfull in the city. I hope this helps. I personnaly would never compromise and buy adjustable, one way damping shocks. I will try a few exit ramps tomorrow and will post grey hair count.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:39 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by madmik
I put Progress in the back earlier this week. Just got the front springs on today with GR2's. Will get GR2 on the back tomorrow. As advertised, the back did drop about .75" and the front about 1.5-1.75”. Front wheelarch gap just under an inch. I only tried my new setup to the grocery store. The damping was better both ways, keeping the car more level on straight bumpy roads (my sore back didn't hurt). The progression of the springs is great. The ride is not stiffer, just more level.

I drove an Alti SE-R last December and found the ride too stiff/painfull in the city. I hope this helps. I personnaly would never compromise and buy adjustable, one way damping shocks. I will try a few exit ramps tomorrow and will post grey hair count.

Cheers, look forward to it.

Kamski
Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Arent the GR2 struts similar to the OEM struts in terms of dampening ability?
Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Arent the GR2 struts similar to the OEM struts in terms of dampening ability?
Yes, they are said to be 15% stiffer though.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM

I am pleased with the GR2 so far. Really stable like I wanted for all around driving. With Progress, the car still rolls a fair amount in sharp curves, less than OEM, but still a fair amount. Coilover may be better for you. The ground clearance is still good. I haven't been able to make the spoiler rub anywhere.

I am considering the rear endlinks from racingline.ca to reduce roll. After that, I will need better tires.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:53 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Glude
Yes, they are said to be 15% stiffer though.
Plus they dampen both ways, on compression and decompression so you get less up and down hop then with stocks.

Kamski
Old 07-05-2006, 07:38 AM

So, does Cattmann have the cheapest KYBs? Link? I need some; I just bought some Eibachs. Sorry for being such a newb.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 AM

ANyone know what the specific effect is if the shock/strut dampens only one way versus dampening both ways?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DRod
So, does Cattmann have the cheapest KYBs? Link? I need some; I just bought some Eibachs. Sorry for being such a newb.
AFAIK he has the best prices. Theres also some good prices in the group deal section.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 AM
.org extraordinaire

ANyone know what the specific effect is if the shock/strut dampens only one way versus dampening both ways?

me wants to know also
Old 07-05-2006, 12:44 PM

i've had both gr2 and agx's adjustables on my accord and let me tell you NIGHT AND DAY difference. At first I wanted to save money so i got gr2 and they sucked, they blew just like my stock shocks did with 2" drop, they are very similar to OEM shocks and i just wasted my money. So I called them and exchanged it with more money for agx and they held up preety good.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:53 PM

What are the KYB AGX P/Ns? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by DRod
What are the KYB AGX P/Ns? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
http://www.activetuning.com/products/map/nissan/maxima/
Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 AM
ActiveTuning Partner

These Koni/AGXs that we sell are modified for the application. This is something that you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The mod was developed by Mahout on NissanClub and uses the Z32 AGX rears and 4th gen. Max Koni inserts.
Link
Old 07-07-2006, 06:27 PM

I wanna score a set of Koni fronts soon, after headers.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:28 PM
.org extraordinaire

I wanna score a set of Koni fronts soon, after headers.
Anyone just sell the KONI Yellow adjustable inserts for teh 99 maxima on their own?
I will mod my shocks my self.... I cant afford the AT set now so I'll do the mod my self to install the the insert into the OEM housing.
Damn is that $145 per strut insert insert or both?

Kamski
Old 07-15-2006, 01:50 PM

so wuh is goin on with the whole springs and shocks thing? u decide on anything kam?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:18 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by MisterSparkle
so wuh is goin on with the whole springs and shocks thing? u decide on anything kam?
Just ordered a set Konis from Activetuning. They are waiting for more cores to come in, so I'm going to try to wait it out, hopefully they get them to me faster then 1/4 of a year like some other companies around here

Kam
Old 07-15-2006, 05:01 PM

lolxz...i heard with the konis that you have to send yours in as well...or you have to pay the phole i think $525

is that true?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Why do u have to wait for cores to come in? Cant they just send u the strut inserts and then mod them urself?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:08 PM

Why do u have to wait for cores to come in? Cant they just send u the strut inserts and then mod them urself?
Yes, if you wanna do the work yourself.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:30 PM
.org extraordinaire

Bah, lazyness is the fall of all men.

I guess they could but I'd rather have them do the set.

Kam
Old 07-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Yes, if you wanna do the work yourself.
You could technically send YOUR oem struts to us, and we could do the modification...it's just a matter of if you can afford the downtime on your car or not.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:47 AM

What exactly has to be done to the struts to modify them?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:22 PM

how difficult of a procedure are we looking at in moding the struts?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Such types of mods make me nervous. On an off-road racer, maybe, but If you are involved in an accident and the insurance spot the mods, they may not cover. The dealer may give you a hard time if you have front-end warranty claims. I hope ActiveTuning is well insured.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM

While we're on the subject....I decided on Coil-overs. I will get a set of 4. I want to drop the car in the summer and raise it in the winter since winters are real bad here....not good bad ...bad bad! Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Peace!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:42 PM

jus curious how hard is it to change it, is it a flick of a button or loosinng and tightning
Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 PM

xorbitman
While we're on the subject....I decided on Coil-overs. I will get a set of 4. I want to drop the car in the summer and raise it in the winter since winters are real bad here....not good bad ...bad bad! Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Keep us posted on which ones you get and how you like them please !
Thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Jim C
xorbitman

Keep us posted on which ones you get and how you like them please !
Thanks
No one has tried the TEINS yet?

I will have to re-order my KONIS when I come back from Poland. No cores yet Or take the sheet apart and ship it out as I leave for Poland and when I come back a new set should be already there

Kamski
Old 07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
ActiveTuning Partner

The strut modification required to install the inserts is the exact same modification that is made to any strut that a Koni insert would be installed into. The top is cut open, the original guts are removed, and the insert is fitted and secured with a 12mm bolt through the bottom. There are Koni insert how-tos all over the web. These inserts are available for numerous makes and models and have been on the market for many years. The only alteration that is made is to the upper mount. The flat needs to be removed from the hole and the total length of the center portion is reduced. I posted the DIY link from NissanClub here somewhere. Obviously the warranty on your front suspension is voided with this mod as it would be with lowering springs. We simply provide an installation service that includes parts.

I confirmed that the Altima SE-R does have a unique front strut part number. Someone needs to give those struts a try. I bet they are the same ones that are included with the Nismo suspension kit.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Altimat
The strut modification required to install the inserts is the exact same modification that is made to any strut that a Koni insert would be installed into. The top is cut open, the original guts are removed, and the insert is fitted and secured with a 12mm bolt through the bottom. There are Koni insert how-tos all over the web. These inserts are available for numerous makes and models and have been on the market for many years. The only alteration that is made is to the upper mount. The flat needs to be removed from the hole and the total length of the center portion is reduced. I posted the DIY link from NissanClub here somewhere. Obviously the warranty on your front suspension is voided with this mod as it would be with lowering springs. We simply provide an installation service that includes parts.

I confirmed that the Altima SE-R does have a unique front strut part number. Someone needs to give those struts a try. I bet they are the same ones that are included with the Nismo suspension kit.
From what I hear on the nissnaclub after this mod the car drives like a dream. I cant wait to get this done when I come back
Kam
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman

Peace!
well coilovers will give you a much harsher ride compared to struts and shocks however...much more stability. however the dropping and raising...is goin to be a ***** everytime. don't forget coilovers are adjusted one by one. so you have to be pretty precise with each one. nd you can only raise it by sooo much. unless you plan on changin out your coilovers back to struts and shocks during the winters and changin em back in the spring and summer...buh then thats just annoying after awhile...lolxz

Originally Posted by Ankit69
jus curious how hard is it to change it, is it a flick of a button or loosinng and tightning
well for teins its a matter of adjusting the clamps on the coil. buh every coilover company gives you two special wrenchs to do it. with the wrenchs its not that badd only thing is that you have to be pretty close to each one otherwise your car is goin to be uneven and tilt. buh i think tein has a dampening sytem which only i think controls ride stiffness not height. nd thts a push of the button thing inside the car.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 PM

however my question goes back out...GR2s front struts? how are they...for overall performance...meaning everyday drive dependablity and with occational "track time". because i was now thinkin about KYB AGX shocks in the rear...and KYB GR2 struts in front rather than konis. buh i wanted to kno is it worth it to try...? does any one have any opinions regard this set up?

catts i hope your reading this cause i would lik you and the other vendors' opinion as well...would be very very helpful.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 AM

however my question goes back out...GR2s front struts? how are they...for overall performance...meaning everyday drive dependablity and with occational "track time". because i was now thinkin about KYB AGX shocks in the rear...and KYB GR2 struts in front rather than konis. buh i wanted to kno is it worth it to try...? does any one have any opinions regard this set up?

catts i hope your reading this cause i would lik you and the other vendors' opinion as well...would be very very helpful.
Although owners say that GR2's are a bit stiffer than OEM, they are meant to be OEM replacements. They are not considered a performance part....so it just depends on what you're looking to get out of them.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:43 AM

however my question goes back out...GR2s front struts? how are they...for overall performance......? does any one have any opinions regard this set up?

My Progress/GR2 eliminated most of my front dive during braking. I suspect the springs are mostly responsible for this. Real happy with damping in city/hwy so far. Cornering is great. On a track, the GR2 may overheat and loose some of its damping ability. It depends on how intense your 'occasional' track sessions are. Its an OEM replacement..
Old 07-22-2006, 08:02 AM

Don't go Tein. I hear that they are C**P!

Quick Reply: Koni/KYB-AGX or KYB GR2/KYB GR2