6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Allblackmax dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Allblackmax dyno numbers

Well guys,
If you've been following my threads you'll know what I went through to get to this point. I got the car back, it drives great, definitely a difference in power, AFC is mounted in the glove box on top of the CD changer.

Here's a summary of my mods: AEM cold air intake, Hotshot headers, Greddy cat-back, tuned S-AFC II

Here's what we've all been waiting for:

Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM
aka The Doom Ship

And as you notice those are SAE corrected numbers baby!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice! That's some good #'s. When are going to get a 1/4 mile time.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM

They didnt take the car to fuel cut. Il wait for the experts to come in before declaring nice numbers. Theres always little things that I dont see. Props for getting it done though.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by Glude
They didnt take the car to fuel cut. Il wait for the experts to come in before declaring nice numbers. Theres always little things that I dont see. Props for getting it done though.
What experts? What things you don't see? Explain.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
What experts? What things you don't see? Explain.
The people who are dyno gurus. I can't really explain because I don't know enough about dynos to do so. Your tq number looks like a spike, but thats just an observation and comparison to other dynos ive seen. I could be wrong though so don't quote me. Also, this should prolly be in the dyno forum.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 PM

dont need to be an expert to see thats some mad SAE bhp vs stock ... great job AllBlack, you stuck it out and got your ride a she-ite full of giddy up .. have fun
Old 08-29-2006, 06:38 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Oh and ahhhh,
Remember they couldn't get the V-AFC to work and switched to the S-AFC? Well, they left the V-AFC in my car in a box and gave me a $200 credit for the V-AFC.

Think they did that on purpose?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
aka The Doom Ship

The people who are dyno gurus. I can't really explain because I don't know enough about dynos to do so. Your tq number looks like a spike, but thats just an observation and comparison to other dynos ive seen. I could be wrong though so don't quote me. Also, this should prolly be in the dyno forum.
Well from the dyno graph from about 3950-4300 I'm producin' over 250 lb/ft of torque. Call that a spike if you want. It is what it is, VQ power babee!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 PM
aka The Doom Ship

And Kudos to Jotech. They did have me worried there for a minute but they made an honest mistake, owned up to it and corrected it.

Kenny Tran, the head guy and the person who worked on my car sat down talked with me like my car was the most important project he had. He also responded to most of my e-mails. I was surprised at that.

Considering this dude races seriously: http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2006...rs/k_tran.html
Old 08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Those are some great numbers and the only difference in our setup is that I have an Unorthodox Racing Pulley so I hit 253-256WHP, so I'm hoping to see the next member with headers and a similar setup and that pretty much guarentees what bolt ups and tuning can do for the 6th gen. Again great job man, been down that road and I know it's not easy...
Old 08-29-2006, 09:19 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by chernmax
Those are some great numbers and the only difference in our setup is that I have an Unorthodox Racing Pulley so I hit 253-256WHP, so I'm hoping to see the next member with headers and a similar setup and that pretty much guarentees what bolt ups and tuning can do for the 6th gen. Again great job man, been down that road and I know it's not easy...
Thanks for the props. Depending on how much they charge I might get the pulley done. For now, I will take a couple of months and enjoy this setup.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Auto or 6speed ? BTW nice #s
Old 08-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Newbie just Registered

Loads of WTQ, wow! Nice!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 AM
aka The Doom Ship

They didnt take the car to fuel cut.
Why would you take the car to fuel cut anyway? All the power is in 3rd gear.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by vq356sp
Auto or 6speed ? BTW nice #s
Auto. Forgot to mention that.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:49 AM

Auto. Forgot to mention that.
FYI, Auto here also...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Nice umbers definitely for an auto. Also, that is not a spike, it looks to be genuine torque on the ground since it looks to be smoothed using 3 or better, hence ruling out any misconceptions about it being a spike. The spike on Teq-Niks seems to be a lockup torque convertor and it's mechanical interference with the data collection. I have seen this on some of my dynos also.

On that particular graph, they do not seem to be a spike, but on the actual DRF’s I have, they are definitely a spike.

But ... there's always a but....

Do you have the runfiles?

Puppetmaster asked you this and you stated you would inquire, were you able to do so? These data files give very helpful insight on the data and also help the user determine exactly what they're looking at. Many conditions can be changed. Such as the X axis(horizontal) variable can be toggled from time, speed or RPM. Obviously we like to see RPM in order to level the field to compare since most cars if not the same year/transmission type etc will have different power at different speeds due to different ratios, hence the above statement about RPM. The Y axis can also be changed, from A/F, WHP, and WTQ.

Where's the A/F curve?

Most dyno runfiles that do now have an a/f readout is typically because the owner or shop has used an upstream wb and have the data recorded on a laptop or similar device using the wb's own supported software.

Did they use the tailsniffer or a WB upstream to tune?

Tailsniffers have been known to read a bit leaner than that of an upstream WB02 (wideband o2) sensor. By upstream I mean closer to the engine and before the main cat. An upstream (WB02) gives a more accurate reading. And the lean condition may be magnified with your main cat.

Any clue what a/f was aimed for?

From what has been noted and seen on this and other forums, the VQ35 likes a flat as possible curve. Depending on the fuel grade used, anywhere from 13.0:1 - 13.5:1 should suffice with good results.

Why was fuel cut not seen?
Not the point where 'all the pwoer is'. It just gives you more data in order to see where your power drops off and gives a base where to shift. In other words, it gives full representation. I see that you're auto so this may be more difficult to achieve than a 6MT. Were you in manual mode, and it sill did not go past 6.1k? If so, I have read on other sites that removing the ABS fuse will disable VDC, therefore allowing the engine to be revved passed 6k while the rear tires are still in place. Also, Maxima tachomters are not very accurate. The first time I dynoed the operator only went to an actual 6100, but stopped because the tach was at it's indicated 'redline'. Tell him to take it to rev limit next time if this indeed was the case.

If you have the runfiles, would you kindly send them to bizzy1999@hotmail.com

Also, in order to get a constant curve w/o data points cutting out, then coming back later in the RPM range, try this method I got from a very credible VQ35DE source.

Use the small clip and take the signal from the primary wire only. Do NOT loop the entire cable going to the coil. This means you'll need to peel back the cover for the three wires.
This will make sense the more and more you dyno and the more you read your FSM.

Also, the hp #'s are maintained when this conditions is seen, but the tq #'s are lost. Not sure why that is, but it's what I've noticed.

I hit 253-256WHP
When are you going to dyno again so we can see a graph like this one?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 12-27-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Do you have the runfiles?

Puppetmaster asked you this and you stated you would inquire, were you able to do so? These data files give very helpful insight on the data and also help the user determine exactly what they're looking at. Many conditions can be changed. Such as the X axis(horizontal) variable can be toggled from time, speed or RPM. Obviously we like to see RPM in order to level the field to compare since most cars if not the same year/transmission type etc will have different power at different speeds due to different ratios, hence the above statement about RPM. The Y axis can also be changed, from A/F, WHP, and WTQ.
I will go up there today with a flash card if I have to.

Did they use the tailsniffer or a WB upstream to tune?
Yes WB was used. They welded and extra bung on the y-pipe for the WB O2 sensor.

Any clue what a/f was aimed for?
I will ask.

From what has been noted and seen on this and other forums, the VQ35 likes a flat as possible curve. Depending on the fuel grade used, anywhere from 13.0:1 - 13.5:1 should suffice with good results.
I think he used 13.1:1. I THINK.

Why was fuel cut not seen?
Not the point where 'all the pwoer is'. It just gives you more data in order to see where your power drops off and gives a base where to shift. In other words, it gives full representation. I see that you're auto so this may be more difficult to achieve than a 6MT. Were you in manual mode, and it sill did not go past 6.1k?
I forgot to tell him about the trick I discovered and posted a while back on how to make an auto hit the redline. You guys remember that? Simply allow the tranny to shift to what gear you want to hold and then hold the shifter down(-) and it will go all the way to the redline without shifting.

If you have the runfiles, would you kindly send them to bizzy1999@hotmail.com
As soon as I get the runfiles I will send them.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks for clearing it up Nmex, I wasnt sure if it was a spike or not. The graph looked pretty smooth so I figured the numbers wouldnt change much but that TQ number is pretty crazy. Also, Fuel cut means redline, not the speed governor.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:52 AM

When are you going to dyno again so we can see a graph like this one?
Early fall, car is scheduled for front bumper paint first...
Old 08-30-2006, 11:09 AM
aka The Doom Ship

to be continued...

Kenny went away to race and it looks like I won't be able to get my runfiles until he gets back. Should be next week Monday or Tuesday.

And they asked for the V-AFC II back also. They did me right so I will give it back to them.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Early fall, car is scheduled for front bumper paint first...
Numbers should be slightly higher with the cool weather.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

yea that spike is the converter..

they should've took it to rev limit on 3rd though, you could've seen alittle more power maybe.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 PM

Forget all this tec talk bottom line does the ***** lol I mean car rip or what , was the swap noticable was it worth every $ spent. Just go to a side street n rip it a video would be nice..........
Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
Forget all this tec talk bottom line does the ***** lol I mean car rip or what , was the swap noticable was it worth every $ spent. Just go to a side street n rip it a video would be nice..........

The car accelerates lovely. And the engine sounds like a monster!
I have to get someone to film me and I will post.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:08 PM

time to go convince my cousin to drop the money on some headers, to see wha a 6 speed with these can do
Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 PM

Nice!

And congrats on the persistance! Due to work, I havent had my a/f hooked up; thus no dyno for myself... yet.

Much apprec. on the shift issue, lookn forward to trying it out.

Im no too far away, lemme know of any Dallas/Austin/Houston meets.

Again, NICE numbers, and congrats!!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:16 PM

The car accelerates lovely. And the engine sounds like a monster!
I have to get someone to film me and I will post.
thats what I want to here , but seriously do the tires fry up more when you stomp it lol I'm bein convinced more n more everyday to purchase headers
Old 08-30-2006, 04:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Numbers should be slightly higher with the cool weather.
Uncorrected yes... But not SAE. That's what SAE is for, but theoretically, it may be slightly (1-2%) higher.

And they asked for the V-AFC II back also. They did me right so I will give it back to them.
This makes no sense, they tuned it just to see what it did, then took it away? Now your A/F is back to the way it was prior to tuning, so the raw A/F conditioning did no good. This has no logic whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you could've seen alittle more power maybe.
By extrapolating, it looks as if the power is leveling out and may have even started to decline @ ~5900. (BTW, I'm not looking at the cliff falling throttle lifted drop in power after 6k, but where the engine was still under WOT).
Old 08-30-2006, 05:01 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
thats what I want to here , but seriously do the tires fry up more when you stomp it lol I'm bein convinced more n more everyday to purchase headers
Now I admit, I've pretty much been goin' hard from a rolling start or from a steady cruise. No standing start floorin' it for me yet. Only when I get a worthy challenge.

None yet.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Plus I haven't done my tranny service yet. I need to get some of that Lucas Oil trans fluid in that tranny. I heard it improves the shifts.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:23 PM

This makes no sense, they tuned it just to see what it did, then took it away? Now your A/F is back to the way it was prior to tuning, so the raw A/F conditioning did no good. This has no logic whatsoever.
Actually, I think since they failed to install the VAFC-II, they took it off and installed a SAFC-II instead, which they got to work. They then mistakenly left the VAFC-II in his car, even though they gave him a refund for it. Now they're just asking for the unit back.

I think.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Btw, those are pretty nice numbers for the mods. Hopefully, you'll be able to get the runfiles to do further analysis.

And yeah, it is useful to take the car all the way to the rev limiter or fuel cut.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 PM
dot dot dot ...

I did get a tad confused with all the VAFC/SAFC talk.. so that makes more logical sense.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Actually, I think since they failed to install the VAFC-II, they took it off and installed a SAFC-II instead, which they got to work. They then mistakenly left the VAFC-II in his car, even though they gave him a refund for it. Now they're just asking for the unit back.

I think.
That's correct.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Did I mention my fuel econ dropped to 16.7mpg city drivin??!!!

I ain't that mad though. Gotta pay for power.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

From your dash readout, or actual?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
aka The Doom Ship

From your dash readout, or actual?
Dash read out.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by chad9350
And congrats on the persistance! Due to work, I havent had my a/f hooked up; thus no dyno for myself... yet.

Much apprec. on the shift issue, lookn forward to trying it out.

Im no too far away, lemme know of any Dallas/Austin/Houston meets.

Again, NICE numbers, and congrats!!
I need to get with some Maxima folks in the area. I know they're here somewhere.

Quick Reply: Allblackmax dyno numbers