6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

07 with tmps problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:47 PM

07 with tmps problem??

Anybody with the 07 have the tmps sensor problem?? Mine keeps coming up .. even change a new sensor today.. im very frustrated.. bought the car already for 2 weeks and have been going back to the dealer ship every freaking day!.. anybody with any ideas??? thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Had to have one TPMS sensor replaced after it broke (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487989).

Shortly after that my warning light began flashing (indicating malfunction) but I have not brought it back to the dealer yet.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM

OK.. here is the low down.. the car has had the sensor check and change today.. its my 4th time to the dealership.. its a brand new car. I have been to the dealership for the past 2 weeks.. everyday something else. it was the grill last week and the tmps sensor since i bought the car. I am sooo tired with this car.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 PM

koyoki - As you know, the TPMS system is new this year with the '07 Maxima. There have been a few other posters here with TPMS problems from day one on their '07.

I was very disappointed over a year ago when the TPMS system was not on the '06 Maxima. I am now aware of why it did not get on the '06; Nissan was having trouble with it.

Federal law required the TPMS system on all '07s, so Nissan had no choice but to throw it on the '07, even though it was obviously not ready.

I know this has to be a most annoying situation considering what this car costs. But if this was my car, I would inform the dealer in writing that his repairs are not working, and you now know this to be a problem area on the '07 Maximas. Tell him you can't be encumbered with bringing the car back to him every few days when they don't have a fix that works.

Tell him the federal government considers the TPMS system to be safety-related, and Nissan must come up with a fix that works, or you will have no choice but to register a formal complaint with the federal government.

In the meantime, remember that 25 years of Maximas have performed wonderfully well without any TPMS system. Please just keep tabs on your tires the way we always have; check the pressure every month, give them a glance every time you get in or out of the car, and be aware of the symptoms we normally get when a tire goes flat as we are moving along the highway.

In other words, please try your best to COMPLETELY ignore your TPMS system, warning lights and all, until your dealer says he has a fix other than the useless one he has been doing.

But do give your service manager a jingle every week and let him know you are still awaiting a MEANINGFUL fix, and are not happy with the delay. And keep an accurate and complete record of every time you have any contact with the dealer on this issue, and what was said. If worse comes to worse, that always impresses the judges or arbitrators.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 PM

To be dead honest with you fellas, I would much rather have a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System than have constant annoying engine ping like I have on my 2003 Infiniti I35.

I knew there would be an issue with the 2007 Maxima. Which is why I haven't bought it already. The first new model year or refreshes of old models are going to have the most bugs. I am curious though, does the TPMS malfunction when all the tires are properly inflated? I wonder if this TPMS is the one featured on the G35 sedan-which it works very well.

So a TPMS is now a federal regulation? I guess it makes sense being how all the times I see people driving their vehicles on the road with one or two tires visibly low in PSI.

I guess we gotta count our lucky stars that the gremlin is a simple TPMS and not the CVT or something else more complex.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 PM

InfiNissanLover - The TPMS problems to date have not been related to a tire actually being low on pressure. Sensor/software problems and fragile valve stems are the culprits so far.

The latter portion of my recent post (just above yours) is suggesting the same thing you are saying; I can't think of any system in the car I would rather have malfunction than the TPMS system.

For experienced drivers who can tell immediately when a tire is flat, who check their tire pressure regularly, and who glance at their tires every time they enter or leave the vehicle, the TPMS serves little purpose. In fact, for those drivers, the only possible purpose for the TPMS is maybe an advanced warning when a tire begins losing pressure during a drive.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:05 PM

Ok here is the low-down. Today i brought the car back again. This time i think its finally fix. Here is what they did. Apparently the car was throwing a code the front right sensor but when they did the test the sensor it was working. So this is what they did. They change out the sensor, Pump all tires to 36psi.(note: the tech said it must be pump up to 36 psi and maintain at 36psi this is when the sensor work efficeintly.) , then the computer was recalibrated for all the sensor not reset. It was RECALIBRATED. I have drove it almost a 100 miles today and NO MORE CODE! Finally its fix. Anyway for those of you that have tmps make sure all your tires are inflated to 36psi and if the light comes on flashing make sure the tech recalibrate the WHOLE system not just reset the light. This is needed to be done. Thanks for all of your advices. Hope this help yoou guys .
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No problem with mine. Had my 07 Since Labor Day. Changed to 20" a week later and installed the TPMS on the new rims. No problems before, none no problems now.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM

superblack: Just out of curiousity, when you had you rims without the tmps did your light come on???? thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
InfiNissanLover - The TPMS problems to date have not been related to a tire actually being low on pressure. Sensor/software problems and fragile valve stems are the culprits so far.

The latter portion of my recent post (just above yours) is suggesting the same thing you are saying; I can't think of any system in the car I would rather have malfunction than the TPMS system.

For experienced drivers who can tell immediately when a tire is flat, who check their tire pressure regularly, and who glance at their tires every time they enter or leave the vehicle, the TPMS serves little purpose. In fact, for those drivers, the only possible purpose for the TPMS is maybe an advanced warning when a tire begins losing pressure during a drive.
lightonthehill- This post of yours is dead on! I agree 1,000%

I always glance at my tires every single time I enter and leave the vehicle. The stock tires on my I35 have been fabulous given all the abuse they have encountered on N.Y. roads. Of course you know, I take care of them a lot, and I do a tire rotation, balance, and alignment every 6,000 miles religiously.

I agree that a TPMS would be most beneficial during the time someone is driving his/her vehicle and obviously can't check to see if the tires are losing pressure.

koyoki- I am relieved to hear that your problem has been fixed. I hope the TPMS doesn't give you anymore problems. I have been there when a car you love so much gives you annoying problems. I know the feeling and it is a horrible one at that.