6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Maxima SE Engine Noise at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:41 PM

2004 Maxima SE Engine Noise at Idle

Hi Friends,

I have 2004 Maxima SE with 44000 miles.
From several weeks, I am hearing noise from engine. The sound hear like "dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig" constantly in idle/park state. When I drive it, the sound dissappear or may be not possible to hear because of higher RPM hide that noise.

I thought its gas octance problem but I always used 93 octance and for experiment, I changed pump but no help.

I used fuel system clear but no help. I have also used BG 44K but no help.

I changed oil 500 miles early but no help.

I can not locate that noise from where exactly its coming from, but for sure it's coming under the plastic cover that coveres engine. Also that noise is close to the windshield but not the radiator side of engine. Also I can hear almost the same way either from left or right side of engine. I looked at the bottom of engine but I do not believe its coming from bottom of the engine.

I asked to dealer and he says this is normal for maxima engine.

The thing is its embrassing to have that noise in idle speed.

Any help to this poor girl will worth a lot.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 02:44 PM

is ideal=idle?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:48 PM

i think i have the same noise, sounds like a really clean diesel engine.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Burny
is ideal=idle?
yeah, I am sorry for spell.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
i think i have the same noise, sounds like a really clean diesel engine.
Do you know how to get over with that noise?
I really hate it when I hear that noise when I am inside my car.
I only hear that when my RPM is at/under 700
I think higher RPM hide that noise for me.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM

problem continues in 2006 SE as well...but its not really noticeable unless you really really listen for it closely. so doesnt bother me and after a good warm up or driving for a min makes it go away. Seems like the sound is coming from area by intake and intake scoop(basically front driver side) but cant really pin point where its coming from. So im guessing it normal.

Check you spark plugs?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaRacer_95
problem continues in 2006 SE as well...but its not really noticeable unless you really really listen for it closely. so doesnt bother me and after a good warm up or driving for a min makes it go away. Seems like the sound is coming from area by intake and intake scoop(basically front driver side) but cant really pin point where its coming from. So im guessing it normal.

Check you spark plugs?

It appears to be comtinues problem in all years model.

Mine is little louder noise and follow me all time as soon as I park my car, regardless of good warm-up or I drive 100 miles. As soon as I stop or park, that noise continue hitting my ears.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

your is coming from the injector s due to the new design.they pulse harder so that the ticking you here so that is normal
Old 10-03-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by machiniac_g
your is coming from the injector s due to the new design.they pulse harder so that the ticking you here so that is normal
I assume that was your response to me.

Is that any way to reduce this noise or eliminate this noise ?

Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 PM

Are they standard transmissions? Might it be the throw out bearing? I have a friend with a newer Z and it is doing it as well. I also noticed that all those that have responded have an SE. Is there any connection? I mean, might they be the ones with the manual trannies?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:32 PM

nop i got a manualmatic... and sarara, i would pay to know how to get rid of it.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:41 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Are they standard transmissions? Might it be the throw out bearing? I have a friend with a newer Z and it is doing it as well. I also noticed that all those that have responded have an SE. Is there any connection? I mean, might they be the ones with the manual trannies?
Spark+cam rotation/spring recoil+injector pulse = TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK

get used to it, every 6th gen maxima I have heard to date has the same tik sound. Its not a flaw its the DOHC design that does it. Go ahead and get a GM pushrod engine if you dont want the ticking noise.

Kamski
Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 AM

I never even heard it. I'll have to listen for it today! Or maybe not! That way I can enjoy my car.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I never even heard it. I'll have to listen for it today! Or maybe not! That way I can enjoy my car.

Ohh how lucky you are believe me.

I heard there are butterfly screws getting loose, does that cause this noise?

I checked mine butterfly screw at air intake and both screws seems in good shape.

Is there 12 more butterfly screws inside the engine block?
I am not sure......

Sarara
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 PM

I have this same noise, and it bugs the **** out of me, problem is that it just recently started, never had this noise problem before, why all of a sudden?

You can hear it in the idle/park state until you rev up to 3500/RPM, then the engine sounds normal, below 3500/RPM you can hear the clicking noise or whatever it is get a little louder as rpm goes up

I so wish some one could find a cheap + easy solution to this annoying problem
Old 10-04-2006, 03:12 PM

Ok, I received this information from one of my friend.
He but can not repair this, he also received this information from one reliable sourse.

Consider this:
A: Closely related
B: Related
C: Sometimes related
--: Not related

Symptoms:

1>
Before Warm-up: C
After Warm-up: A
When Starting: --
Idling: A
When Racing: B
While Driving: --
Check = Valve Clearence

2>
Before Warm-up: C
While Driving: C
Check = Camshaft journal clearance/Camshaft runout

3>
Before Warm-up: --
Check = Piston and piston pin clearance, Connecting rod bushing clearance

4>
Before Warm-up: A
After Warm-up: --
Idling: B
While Driving: A
Check = Piston-to-bore clearance, Piston ring side clearance, Piston ring end gap, Connecting rod bend and torsion

5>
After Warm-up: B
When Starting: C
While Driving: B
Check = Connecting rod bushing clearance (Small end), Connecting rod bearing clearance (Big end)

6>
Check = Main bearing oil clearance Crankshaft runout

7>
Check = Timing chain cracks and wear Timing chain tensioner operation

8>
When Racing: --
Check = Drive belts deflection

9>
When Starting: A
When Racing: A
Check = Idler pulley bearing operation

10>
When Racing: A
Check = Water pump operation

Mine sound to me symptom 1.
Can anyone help me what to check?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Go ahead and get a GM pushrod engine if you dont want the ticking noise.
If you get the GM pushrod engine you could very well end up with the same sound caused by worn hydraulic valve lifters (Nissan does not use them). Based on the description of this sound by those who have it, that is what it sounds like they are describing -- the clicking sound of worn GM hydraulic valve lifters.

That is why I suspect that the acutal cause of this noise in the VQ engine is described in A in the previous post -- Valve Clearence Problems.

I have an 04 SE with over 49 K miles (and a 6-speed) and do not have this problem. I must say that my VQ is not as quiet as it was when new, but it does not make loud clicking noises when idling.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
If you get the GM pushrod engine you could very well end up with the same sound caused by worn hydraulic valve lifters (Nissan does not use them). Based on the description of this sound by those who have it, that is what it sounds like they are describing -- the clicking sound of worn GM hydraulic valve lifters.

That is why I suspect that the acutal cause of this noise in the VQ engine is described in A in the previous post -- Valve Clearence Problems.

I have an 04 SE with over 49 K miles (and a 6-speed) and do not have this problem. I must say that my VQ is not as quiet as it was when new, but it does not make loud clicking noises when idling.
Thats awesome, you must have had a 3800 Series I or II v6 in your life to know that

I know I had one and still have the second one. Yes after the hydraulic lifters wear they will start ticking but that usually doesnt occur until the 180-200k km mark.

Kamski
Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 PM

Thats awesome, you must have had a 3800 Series I or II v6 in your life to know that

I know I had one and still have the second one. Yes after the hydraulic lifters wear they will start ticking but that usually doesnt occur until the 180-200k km mark. Kamski
The first car I ever drove was a 1955 Olds 88 with the V8 Rocket Engine. The lifters in that engine ticked like mad after about 25 K miles or so. If you drove past a wall with the windows open the sound was particularly loud. That engine had torque like mad, and the noisy lifters did not seem to hurt its performance.

I owned a 65 Corvette that did not have much noise from the lifters before I sold her at about 70 K miles or so. My last GM car was a 98 Olds Intrigue with the 3800 engine. I did not keep that car long enough for the lifters to start ticking. It had about 40 K miles on it when I stopped driving it.

But I know about the tendency of GM's pushrod engines to develope hydraulic valve lifter tick.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 PM

My 04 max has som noise issues. I get the clicking noise when idle..

I also get a noise that sounds like the timing belt needs some oil or something. I get this sqeeky noise when the car is accelerating.. It like the sound from an old car or something..

There is also a gargaling noise when the car is going up a hilll.. This noise alos sounds like and old car.. I only have 30k miles. These two noised started after i changed the oil. Can it be that i have to much oil in the car or something..
Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 PM

I suspect that your gurgling noise is coming from air in your cooling system. I have that problem, but only my wife can hear it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Burny
is ideal=idle?

Your

If you cant help dont say anything
Old 10-20-2006, 07:47 PM

No Way.....

Like I said in first thread, I dumped BG 44K to see if I can get rid off engine noise but it did not, but it did improve my gas mileage.

Before I was getting 24 or 25 MPG at the best.
Now I can get atleast 28 and upto 31 MPG.

First I thought....hmmmm crap its an operator error so dont count.
But no, I measured with 4 full gas tank and I was getting about 29 MPG.

I take this

Old 10-21-2006, 12:41 PM

Check whether this applies to you
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-095.htm
Old 10-22-2006, 08:36 AM

that website is right on...I've had an'04 Sentra SE-R Spec -V, now an '04 Maxima SE, and on both cars I've had to replace the heat shield, which was done under warrenty by the dealer both times. From there, I've had no noise and of course was very relieved when I realized it was only a minor problem.

Hopefully, this is the case for some of you, good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tvetti
wow I was just about to mention this...it's a very common problem on all generations and it's a really easy fix
Old 10-22-2006, 07:20 PM

Finally!

I have the same problem! My car is still under warranty, took it to 2 different dealers, and they both said that the noise is present and that it is not normal. They went as far as to put in a new transmission (!) but the noise is still there. Nobody seems to be able to diagnose the problem.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Spark+cam rotation/spring recoil+injector pulse = TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK

get used to it, every 6th gen maxima I have heard to date has the same tik sound. Its not a flaw its the DOHC design that does it. Go ahead and get a GM pushrod engine if you dont want the ticking noise.

Kamski
In my case the noise appears only when the engine is hot. And it is really LOUD. Doesnt fit your theory.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM

My car is still under warranty (gold preferred)

I'm setting up an appointment soon for my CD player, as well as all the recalls, and also this "tick" noise. Should I ask them to just fix it, or suggest that this is / might be the problem?

I don't want to just ask them to check it out because I'm pretty sure they'll tell me its normal and they can't do anything about it..

Also, might be a stupid question, but if they are keeping my car for a couple days in the shop, will I get a loaner car?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 PM

My nissan is a POS stealership, actually most nissan stealerships suck around here, even though this is one of the richest counties in the US...but whatever..anyway, they do not give loaners unless you threaten them, and I only got a loaner once.. I may have 5 cars, but I should get a loaner regardless.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by vir420

I'm setting up an appointment soon for my CD player, as well as all the recalls, and also this "tick" noise. Should I ask them to just fix it, or suggest that this is / might be the problem?

I don't want to just ask them to check it out because I'm pretty sure they'll tell me its normal and they can't do anything about it..

Also, might be a stupid question, but if they are keeping my car for a couple days in the shop, will I get a loaner car?
I doubt that Nissan will offer you a loaner car. You can try nudging them into giving you one if they even have loaner cars at your dealership. That's one thing I miss about my integra. Although it's a much cheaper car compared to my Maxima, I always received loaner cars during service at the Acura dealership.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Gold Preferred extended warranty provides for rental car during covered repairs.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Does your ticking noise happen only when the engine is hot?

That's fine, let them give that to you in writing

Yes, since you have gold preferred
Old 10-23-2006, 03:18 PM

Ticking noise happens regardles of how hot/cold the engine is, usually between idle and 2 1/2 - 3 RPM, after that, engine sounds normal

Don't know if this is related in anyway or not, but my friend that owns an 03' Maxima, and my cousin that owns an 04' Murano both have the same problem and say it's normal with our engines..

I will just take it to the dealership and notify you guys with what happens.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Ticking noise happens regardles of how hot/cold the engine is, usually between idle and 2 1/2 - 3 RPM, after that, engine sounds normal

Don't know if this is related in anyway or not, but my friend that owns an 03' Maxima, and my cousin that owns an 04' Murano both have the same problem and say it's normal with our engines..

I will just take it to the dealership and notify you guys with what happens.
I had the same problem, it was heat shield. Was able hear the ticking noise at about 40MPH

First time, I went Dealership was not able to "Replicate". Second time, I went with the above TSB and pics and they fixed it. Check the link above
Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry no clue my sis has an 04' SE and she has the same problem and she has been to several diff. shops and they all said that everything looked fine and they couldnt find anything wrong with it.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by KungFuNikki
sorry no clue my sis has an 04' SE and she has the same problem and she has been to several diff. shops and they all said that everything looked fine and they couldnt find anything wrong with it.

It could be you engine valve just ticking thats all. Because your oil, with a higher grade oil such as 10w40 or 20w30 or anything higher than 5w30 it might give you that ticking sound because the weight of the oil is soo heavy that it might not be going very well into the valve to be lubricated. Check your oil that MIGHT be the problem. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 PM

I use 10W30 Mobil 1 with no problems. Stay away from any oil with a 20 in the first number or a 40 in the second. Unless you are racing and the engine gets really hot.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 AM

Ahhh, you bassturds!!! After reading this post, guess what I found? Yup, my car ticks too!! Drivers side, like its coming from an area right where the firewall, windshield and hood meet. I found a fix though, I turned up the radio to about 5 and I didn't hear it when I'm at idle. Oh well, it beats driving a Buick.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I use 10W30 Mobil 1 with no problems. Stay away from any oil with a 20 in the first number or a 40 in the second. Unless you are racing and the engine gets really hot.
Who gave you an engineering degree in lubricants???!!!!!

Before you post........ DO SOME REASERCH.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-asl-5w30.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

For example Mobil1 0w40 is actually a better version of our 5w30 Mobil1 oil, however it must meet stringent Eruopean Performance car formulation and there for is branded as such. I'm also getting the ticking noise in my engine and this is the next oil i will use to elmiminate that issue. OOOO and by the way, the w40 or w30 is the weight of the oil and its ability to resist shearing in the engine.

Kam

Quick Reply: 2004 Maxima SE Engine Noise at Idle