6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Trading the max

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:00 AM

Trading the max

I'm thinking about trading the max. My front struts are toast again, since I have 52K on the odo and didn't opt for the extended warranty they want me to pay $700 to repair the car. I can't believe Nissan, they know the struts are crap and they want honor their customers by picking up the repair. I am going car shopping today, probably the 07 Avalon XLS or Camry. Since I've owned the car the struts have blown, stereo replace twice, chrome roof moldinh replaced, front windshield replaced, rotors turned. Also the car shimmys when I apply the brakes, I think the rotors are warped. I really like me maxima but when do you draw the line and get something more reliable. (toyota. honda, acura)

Mike
Old 10-30-2006, 09:18 AM
mixshows

damn dogs, seems like u have alot of bad luck with your maxima. i drove mines off the lot (used), 5 days later the brakes are making a throbbing noise, the pads seem fine but i think the rotors are getting warped...i was so pissed off, why cant the noise have been there when i test drove it.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mike
I'm thinking about trading the max. My front struts are toast again, since I have 52K on the odo and didn't opt for the extended warranty they want me to pay $700 to repair the car. I can't believe Nissan, they know the struts are crap and they want honor their customers by picking up the repair. I am going car shopping today, probably the 07 Avalon XLS or Camry. Since I've owned the car the struts have blown, stereo replace twice, chrome roof moldinh replaced, front windshield replaced, rotors turned. Also the car shimmys when I apply the brakes, I think the rotors are warped. I really like me maxima but when do you draw the line and get something more reliable. (toyota. honda, acura)

Mike
ehh, should have replaced rotors with something other than stock the first time. I had my radio replaced once, blown struts happened a lot. Other than that its been great, let us know what u get on a trade in. Im considering it and my car has a lil bit more mileage than yours.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Glude
ehh, should have replaced rotors with something other than stock the first time. I had my radio replaced once, blown struts happened a lot. Other than that its been great, let us know what u get on a trade in. Im considering it and my car has a lil bit more mileage than yours.
YEAH SELL HER!!!

DIBS on your grill and your "go fast" goodies

Kamski
Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
YEAH SELL HER!!!

DIBS on your grill and your "go fast" goodies

Kamski
you buying *****!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
you buying *****!

LOL! Ruthless parts mongers

Good luck with the trade in and sale of the max. I sold mine at 45K because I wanted a decent resale and had been driving her for over 3.5 yrs. The max was a good car though.

Try looking at Infiniti since it's the same family - I went with the FX 45 and the quality of the ride and interior is a HUGE improvement. I have been REALLY happy with the new ride.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Mike
MAN, I know exactly how you feel. Looks like the same robot/mechanic combo worked on my car.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 AM

I went to the Toyota dealership yesterday and they offered me $17,500 for my max. This car sucks on resale value. He actually gave me $700 more than the high side of KBB. I will have to car over 3k to my next car, I really hate Nissan now. I can get a 07 Avalon XLS w/NAVI for 35K out the door with 100k ext warranty. The avalon fit andf finish is better than the max, also the rear seats recline and the backset floor is flat. I am still trying to get him to come down to 34k.. Also I drove the 07 Camry with the V6, very nice ride, bluetooth, NAVI, leather, power everything or 31K.

Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Not meaning to steal the thread, but the OP seems OK with finding a replacement car.

My rotors are going, and what would you recommend? I'm thinking getting the Brembos blanks off this site.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 AM
Banned

I went to the Toyota dealership yesterday and they offered me $17,500 for my max. This car sucks on resale value. He actually gave me $700 more than the high side of KBB. I will have to car over 3k to my next car, I really hate Nissan now. I can get a 07 Avalon XLS w/NAVI for 35K out the door with 100k ext warranty. The avalon fit andf finish is better than the max, also the rear seats recline and the backset floor is flat. I am still trying to get him to come down to 34k.. Also I drove the 07 Camry with the V6, very nice ride, bluetooth, NAVI, leather, power everything or 31K.

Mike
Man get the camry, that avalon is UGLY and old fogey looking inside, they dont call it Toyotas Buick for nothing.

I know Ive checked KBB and know what to expect with the resale value...its sure not a BMW.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Avalon is not a bad car. The finish is very nice, The media called the avalon a lexus with toyota's price tag. I love the max but with the million problems I had with it I'd choose Avalon on a dime!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:43 PM

Man, this thread depresses me. Makes me very sad that some of my ORG friends are having trouble with their Maximas.

I had a few little glitches fixed right after I bought my '04 SL in June of 2004, but have had nothing but 'clear sailing' for two years. Just clean the bugs off the grille after every road trip, do the scheduled maintenance, and drive happy. And my 2000 SE continues to be totally trouble-free, also.

Actually, I have owned nothing but Maximas since late '84, and have had exemplary service from every one of them. I don't abuse my Maximas, but I do accellerate fairly vigorously at times, sometimes drive rather fast on curvy mountain roads, and have had every one of my Maximas well over a hundred MPH at times. And I have loved every Maxima I have ever owned.

Yep; makes me sad that my board friends are having trouble with what has been BY FAR the best made, most dependable, most enjoyable nameplate I have encountered in over 57 years of driving.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

same here,

I've had a maxima with an infiniti in there since I've bought my first car, and never have had issues with any of them.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:33 PM

I'm right there with them. Once this Max is gone, no more Nissans. Toyota has my business.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Burny
I'm right there with them. Once this Max is gone, no more Nissans. Toyota has my business.
Something very wrong here.... how could anyone even think of driving a Toyota after owning a (Nissan) Maxima???? ... could it be, you bought wrong in the first place?

Nissan = fun, performance, excitement
Toyota = quiet, dependable, zero driving excitement (boring)

Both are in such different(level of enjoyment) categories!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:53 PM

I noticed he bought the Avalon due to better reliability but this time he got extended warranty. Just remind me of the Toyota saleman pitching the car as the most reliable and then at closing time telling me I must have extended warranty.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by tubells
Something very wrong here.... how could anyone even think of driving a Toyota after owning a (Nissan) Maxima???? ... could it be, you bought wrong in the first place?

Nissan = fun, performance, excitement
Toyota = quiet, dependable, zero driving excitement (boring)

Both are in such different(level of enjoyment) categories!!!!!!

Nissan = Fun, performance, excitement, repairs, headaches, regrets

As for the warranty on the Toyota, the salesman never mentioned it, I did based on my Maxima experience.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:09 AM

I'm surprised some of you claim Toyota's fit and finish is above Nissan's. I'm not car expert, but the few Toyota's that I've been in (trucks and cars) have all become rattle cages. (Albeit mechanically sound rattle cages.) I've seen 4 year old Sentra's with fewer squeaks and rattles than months old Prius's. I think Toyota's quality is exaggerated, as the expression goes - your mileage may vary.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 AM

I'm looking for reliability and dependability. The 2004 max sure has not offered me that. 17 trips to the dealership for various problems is totally unacceptable in a 3 year period. Not to mention the crappy attitude you have to deal with at the Nissan dealerships. Everytime I was taking the car back for another problem, I was dreading it just because of the hassle and run around I got. They made a ****ty product and did not want to stand behind it as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 AM

I agree with Burny, I hate the attitude at the dealership more than anything else. I have friends with Acura TL's and Toyotas and they don't have half the problems that plague the maxima. I should have just bought the infiniti and Toyota/Acura. I do like the maxima, it is my third nissan vehicle. my wife has a 1997 Nissan Quest with 165K on the odo, never had a strut problem, radio problem or fit and finish problem. At least when she turns up her stereo she doesn't here *hit rattling in the back window. Just my 2cents!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 9Nails
I'm surprised some of you claim Toyota's fit and finish is above Nissan's. I'm not car expert, but the few Toyota's that I've been in (trucks and cars) have all become rattle cages. (Albeit mechanically sound rattle cages.) I've seen 4 year old Sentra's with fewer squeaks and rattles than months old Prius's. I think Toyota's quality is exaggerated, as the expression goes - your mileage may vary.
I agreed. I've owned Mitsu, Toyota, Honda, Nissan. Toyota and Honda rank 3rd and 4th on that list. They are all good and solid (but nothing is perfect). Only small troubles and I list them accordingly. My Pathfinder is #1 and then my '97Max. But then comes my current '04SE. Quite a few troubles already (roof trims, CVBoot, rattle exhaust, CAT) all taken care in-warranty, so I forgave that. But now at 43Kmiles, my right strut starts making small poping noise over bumps. As of right now, it already make to the bottom of the list, with only such small mileage. (Did I mention hidden shimmys ?)
Old 11-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The new model for the g35 sedan is very appealing. I wish I would've waited longer, cause I would've got that instead. Probably end up trading my maxima in a year or 2 down the road. Not that i'm not satisfied with my 07 Maxima, I love it actually. Haven't really had any problems so far.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 AM

Just traded my 04 Max SE in for an 07 SE. I should have known better than to buy a new model car the year it was released. It seems like everyone that is reporting the problems has an 04. I bought my 04 late in the model year and had no issues with it. Nissan gave me 18,700 for it and I only owed 15,000. My initial down payment was $3000 so I actually made some equity on that car.

My 07 has a much improved ride over the 04. Still handles great. The CVT took a couple of weeks to get used to but is a really nice ride with great acceleration. This is now my third Maxima (94, 04, 07). Finish on the 07 looks awesome with the new front end. My advice to those with the bad 04 experience would be to not purchase a new model release until the car company can work out the kinks. Consider the 07 Max if you're out shopping.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:34 AM

That sucks to hear you're having so many problems. Been there and done that...trust me. The Avalons are nice, but I definitely like the look of the Camry's. Maybe you could also check out a TL. If you don't mind saying, are you upside down on your Max loan?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 AM

The LOOOK of the camry is real nice....

The DRIVE however......after driving a Max, i doubt u'd like it. V6 is sluggish from my test drive experience.

Try it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:56 AM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Man, this thread depresses me. Makes me very sad that some of my ORG friends are having trouble with their Maximas.

ALL RIGHT SIR!!!

I had a few little glitches fixed right after I bought my '04 SL in June of 2004, but have had nothing but 'clear sailing' for two years. Just clean the bugs off the grille after every road trip, do the scheduled maintenance, and drive happy. And my 2000 SE continues to be totally trouble-free, also.

Bad: struts, rotors, tranny, left drive shaft, windshield/engine cowl, subframe, alignment, shimmy, 57 pages of dealer repairs!!!!

Actually, I have owned nothing but Maximas since late '84, and have had exemplary service from every one of them. I don't abuse my Maximas, but I do accellerate fairly vigorously at times, sometimes drive rather fast on curvy mountain roads, and have had every one of my Maximas well over a hundred MPH at times. And I have loved every Maxima I have ever owned.

My first new car and turns out to be the most unreliable piece of sheet I ever owned.
160kph is my normal highway cruising speed, i straighten curvy mountain roads with it......and when i brake usually the rotors are glowing red.
same type of driving in my old old car the OLDS and its ran like a champ, never had an issue.
still the most fun 4 door car i have ever driven.

Yep; makes me sad that my board friends are having trouble with what has been BY FAR the best made, most dependable, most enjoyable nameplate I have encountered in over 57 years of driving.
thats cause it was made in tenessee on the last shift on friday night witha bottle of jackdaniels on the side
when i reviewed maximas history it was a proud car made in Japan, now its a just another american laboured car, just like the sheet out of detroit.

I still enjoy even though the rear parcel shelf rattles to an annoyance and seats rattle, and the front dash rattles and the glove box is all missaligned and the cetre console rattles. Who would have thought a Nissan flagship is made like Nissan flagsiht.

Kamski
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_mo1971
Just traded my 04 Max SE in for an 07 SE. I should have known better than to buy a new model car the year it was released. It seems like everyone that is reporting the problems has an 04. I bought my 04 late in the model year and had no issues with it. Nissan gave me 18,700 for it and I only owed 15,000. My initial down payment was $3000 so I actually made some equity on that car.

My 07 has a much improved ride over the 04. Still handles great. The CVT took a couple of weeks to get used to but is a really nice ride with great acceleration. This is now my third Maxima (94, 04, 07). Finish on the 07 looks awesome with the new front end. My advice to those with the bad 04 experience would be to not purchase a new model release until the car company can work out the kinks. Consider the 07 Max if you're out shopping.
How many miles on your 04 when u traded? Thats not too bad of a trade in price.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM
RVC
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mike
Mike, I finally got my car lemoned. I just turned it in in Monday. I got an 06' TL with Navi. It's nice but they have some problems too, rattles in the interior. But I really like the car and don't regret the purchase. Got it for about 32K @ Priority.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 AM
mixshows

wow, thats alot of problems for your nissan, somethings not right. either u treat ur cars like shiet, or u got a lemon. sorry man.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by clayman88
That sucks to hear you're having so many problems. Been there and done that...trust me. The Avalons are nice, but I definitely like the look of the Camry's. Maybe you could also check out a TL. If you don't mind saying, are you upside down on your Max loan?
Yes I am, 2K upside down. I can deal with that just to get something a bit more reliable.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by RVC
Mike, I finally got my car lemoned. I just turned it in in Monday. I got an 06' TL with Navi. It's nice but they have some problems too, rattles in the interior. But I really like the car and don't regret the purchase. Got it for about 32K @ Priority.
Congrats!! I thought about the TL, my friend has one and it is excellent. I like the voice controls for NAVI and stereo. I will stop by Priority and check one out.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 PM

I too got rid of my 06 Max. I had the shimmy or shall I say warped rotors from the time I bought it off the lot when applying brakes the steering wheel vibrated and shook. They turned my rotors twice and it was still there but not as bad. My ABS light came on and I lost a lot of brake fluid on a brand new car. For the money the car costed me I should have not had those problems. I love the Maxima and will never bash them but the quality control has gotten out of hand. If the mechanics were properly trained I think the small problems would get fixed right the first time. This is what happens when you hire cheap labor and cut back on training to save money. I got me a new Murano fully loaded and it's a lot better quality wise. Here is a couple of pics:

Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM

wow very nice
Old 11-03-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks; it has Nav, Backup camera and overhead DVD. My Intake from my max (Stillen) fit perfectly. I have a stainless steel custom exhaust with 3 1/2 tips. Those are FX45 chrome wheels. I wish the I didn't have to get rid of my Max but I am not looking back until the next gen comes out.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
If the mechanics were properly trained I think the small problems would get fixed right the first time. This is what happens when you hire cheap labor and cut back on training to save money. I got me a new Murano fully loaded
so u bought another NISSAN and hope things will get better?.... aren't ure problems with the dealers, rather than the car/suv??

so who are the mechanics for the Murano??? arent they the same as for the maxima?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:34 AM

I've had my 04 Maxima since Dec 03 and have about 55,600 miles. Had heat shield rattle fixed (rattle came back again), replaced front passenger side strut, roof chrome lost its shine, telescoping wheel stoped working (tilt still works).

When I go to the dealerships they usually give me a hard time. I've thought about changing cars just because of the bad service. But everytime I sit in the Maxima and take it for a spin I fall right back in love.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:37 AM

Tubells; you are correct but I am hoping I will have less trips to the dealer with the Murano than I did with the Max. Not everyone has problems with the Max but all of the problems are simular issues it seems. I just hope they get it right with the next Gen car, I am a Nissan loyalist and don't want to go with another make.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by tubells
so u bought another NISSAN and hope things will get better?.... aren't ure problems with the dealers, rather than the car/suv??

so who are the mechanics for the Murano??? arent they the same as for the maxima?
My 06 murano has been great so far, much better quality than my 04 maxima.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Newbie just Registered

I've had 6 Nissans in the past 15 years and have not had any quality issues. Some were built better than others, but no defects that didn't get fixed on the first time so far. I've had other cars that I had issue with the first drive home and took several trips to get the problem taken cared of.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:57 AM

Bottom line; no matter what brand you buy someone is going to have problems but no one should be subject to the B.S. that Nissan service departments put us through. Hopefully we can all agree with that statement.

Quick Reply: Trading the max