6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How much do you fill up. In Gallons!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Anyway, this is something different here.

I went to the gas station today and filled up the car with......20.232 gallons!!!

Is that possible or is the freaken' pump messed up. I have a habit on riding on "E" (E = Enough) and usually when I fill up I put in 18-19 gallons. Previously I went as hight as 19.6 but 20.232 ?????

Isn't the tank capacity listed at 20 Gallons????
Old 11-30-2006, 12:31 PM

damn man, thats alot, i've never went past 18 gallons, most i've done is about 17 and some change, 20.232 is just ridiculous if you ask me
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM

highest ive gone is 18.. thought the fuel capacity was 21 gallons
Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM

I never went past 18 either...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:52 PM

I think that gas station is trying to screw you
Old 11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

At what level does the DTE computer show a star and the low fuel light come on?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Newbie just Registered

Extra fuel could be in the pipe to the tank. I've never gotten more than 17.5 gallons, I don't like pushing cars...
Old 11-30-2006, 01:04 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by -Sin-
I think that gas station is trying to screw you

Could be!

I have the opposite problem... When it gets down to well under 1/4 tank by the gauge, it won't take any more than 12 gallons. When the low fuel light comes on (which, to me should mean "OK, idiot, you've gone too far already, get some gas NOW") it will only take 15-16 gallons. 5 gallons is a lot of reserve to have left when a warning light comes on.

I also have a problem putting ANY gas into it. Pumps click off (no exaggeration) 15-20 times on every fill-up. Every station, every pump. Don't know if this is peculiar to mine, an '07 issue or a 6G issue.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Yep, when the light comes on there is probably 5 gallons left. I look at the computer and when the * shows up in the DTE field then I have proly from 40-60 miles to go. Even then I can only put about 18-19 gallons.

If the gas station is trying to screw people up, do you guys have any idea as to where it can be reported? I have a receipt for the purchase showing all values
Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Here...
Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 PM

The most I ever put was 18 ga..
Old 11-30-2006, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Tank capacity is 75.6l (20g)
Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

i put in 19.7 thats thte most
Old 11-30-2006, 04:46 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Yep, when the light comes on there is probably 5 gallons left. I look at the computer and when the * shows up in the DTE field then I have proly from 40-60 miles to go. Even then I can only put about 18-19 gallons.

If the gas station is trying to screw people up, do you guys have any idea as to where it can be reported? I have a receipt for the purchase showing all values

I ran mine down till the DTE went blank, and it still only took 16.2 gallons!

Each state will be different, but I've never seen a gas pump anywhere without a label indicating where to call for that state or county.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:49 PM

damn man my average is about 14-16 gallons. and thats waiting until the damn light to come on. lolxz
Old 11-30-2006, 05:10 PM

I put gas in today and I was on excitment when I did it and it olnly took 16.87 gallons. the needle was touching the stopper and the light was bright.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM

22 gallons?

I have ridin E for 2 days and have yet to pass 17.2 gallons. If I get over 20, that gas station is going down.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM

There should be some stickers at the pump to tell you when it was last inspected. Normally you can talk to your state's department of weights and measures. But I would bring a receipt and the owner's manual and talk to the station's boss. You may get some sort of compensation. But keep the receipt, if you still want to file a complaint (don't let them keep reaping others off). If enough complaints collected, some inspectors will show up.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 PM

I've run 100 miles past the idiot light and only hit 18.5 on fill up.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Who Gives A Crap??????
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I've run 100 miles past the idiot light and only hit 18.5 on fill up.
Yeah I know. I've been always doing about 60 miles past when the DTE shows a * for empty, and thats like 40 miles after the "idiot" lite comes on. I ride it down to the last drops and get over 19 fairly often...but over 20. I will stop at the pump to see if there are numbers where discrepencies can be reported.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM

I've only ran the car to the idiot light once and at that time i was panicing like crazy. I filled up at the first gas station i saw. I only got about 17.5 gallons though. I usually fill up around 1/4 left.

Also I thought in the manual it says our tank can only hold 20 gallons?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Who Gives A Crap??????

I do. Just wanted to see if this is common or the pump is f-cked!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 PM

Yeah most I end up fillin in the tank is 18ish.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 PM

Most for me was 16.5 gal and it was very near E.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 PM

The 6th gen Maxima has a 20.0 gallon fuel tank. Not 20.1, and especially not 22.232. Either you somehow got the wrong receipt or the pump malfunctioned or you put a few gallons in a separate container for your lawn mower/tractor or the pump had not been cleared from the previous customer.

The system used by vehicles to measure the amount of fuel left in the tank is not precise, and varies between cars that are supposedly identical. The 6th gen Maxima usually has the light come on with 4 to 6 gallons left in the tank, and puts the needle on 'E' with about 3 to 5 gallons left. Of course a few cars will fall outside those parameters.

Nissan gives that extra 'cushion' with the fuel gauge because bad things can happen when this car runs out of gas. It isn't like running out in a '55 Chevy, where you simply put more gas in. Running out in the 6th gen Maxima can do damage to the injectors and can harm the catalytic converter.

Neither of those items are cheap, and neither will be covered under warranty if damaged by running out of fuel.

I'm not sure if the fuel pump is in the gas tank on the Maxima. If it is, runnning the fuel level below the pump can cause the pump to overheat.

If I found myself putting in as much as 18 gallons on a refill, I think I would fill up a little sooner from then on. I feel that 15 to 17 gallons would be a refill range to aim for. That still gives us that little cushion of protection.

But then there are those of us who always live on the edge . . .
Old 12-01-2006, 06:56 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I don't have the time or desire to visit the gas station every 2-3 days. If you do you should read that sticker on the pump about gas fumes and brains cancers HA HA
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Tank capacity is 75.6l (20g)
Courtesy of the FSM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The 6th gen Maxima has a 20.0 gallon fuel tank
I'm not sure if the fuel pump is in the gas tank on the Maxima.
yes it is.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
Could be!

I also have a problem putting ANY gas into it. Pumps click off (no exaggeration) 15-20 times on every fill-up. Every station, every pump. Don't know if this is peculiar to mine, an '07 issue or a 6G issue.
The next time try to vary the depth of the nozzle into the neck, i had the same thing happen to me and by moving the nozzle out some it filled up ok.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by sonomamax
The next time try to vary the depth of the nozzle into the neck, i had the same thing happen to me and by moving the nozzle out some it filled up ok.
That's the only way I get ANY gas into. If the nozzle is all the way in, it clicks off instantly. If you pull it out to the "sweet spot", it will run about 5-10 seconds before it clicks off.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM

There is a golden rule that I live by for all my cars.... NEVER let the gas guage go below HALF FULL ...

If you get stuck in the winter you will have gas to keep warm ...

If you are traveling you will have gas for those long lines when the road is shut down..

If your wife uses your MAX for long shopping trips you know she wont get stuck who knows where out of gas....

Besides it makes good sense.. and It doesnt cost you anymore .. Just cheap insurance !!!!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:16 PM

thats funny, cuz when im on E and the neddle is all the way down, at most i can fill is 16 gallons, 5 gallons in reserve is alot most cars only come with 1 or 2 gallons
Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 PM

I have heard of Gas stations rigging their pumps to indicate that more gas is coming out, causing the gas bill to be higher. Check with the better business bureau.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM

lightonthehill gave you the correct answer in his post, above.

In additoon to what he said, the fuel pump for you VQ engine is located in the fuel tank -- and this pump uses the gasoline in that tank to help keep it cool. In the winter it may not be a problem (with overheating), but in the summer you could burn out this pump -- even before you damage the fuel injectors or the cat converter.

Not a good idea to go much past the time the light comes on warning that the gasoline in your tank is low. Be good to your baby and don't push this limit -- it could cost you money and even result in your VQ not running.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I've heard that there are impurities at the bottom of the fuel tank that can damage stuff, but isn't there a fuel filter? Yes there is, and its there for a reason. With 5 gallons in reserve E is not EMPTY....E is ENOUGH

The pump being cooled by the gasoline is another story thou
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 PM

Beyond the arguments back and forth about how we can squeeze a few more miles between fillups, I try to keep fuel in my tank because one cannot predict what might happen one minute from now.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, violent straight-line winds, terrorist acts, flooding, power outages, nuclear accidents, rioting, major chemical spills, . . . the list is endless. Things happen. There are times we need to be able to get somewhere (or away from something), and the trip is non-negotiable; it must be made.

Those who wait until the event happens to fill up are taking an unnecessary risk. When the power goes out, gas pumps will not operate. In many areas, lots of stations are closed during the night. During a disaster, most stations close because the operators are also evacuating.

Several folks died during the Houston evacuation from Rita for the simple reason they were stuck in traffic with no gas in horrible heat and humidity.

There are those who are inherent risk-takers. They account for a large percentage of the casualties during disasters. Why risk being reduced to a statistic? Be smart and increase your chances of survival. Always keep five or more gallons of gas in your Maxima.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:56 AM

hmm, i avg about 15-16 gallons to fill up from E to F.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Beyond the arguments back and forth about how we can squeeze a few more miles between fillups, I try to keep fuel in my tank because one cannot predict what might happen one minute from now.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, violent straight-line winds, terrorist acts, flooding, power outages, nuclear accidents, rioting, major chemical spills, . . . the list is endless. Things happen. There are times we need to be able to get somewhere (or away from something), and the trip is non-negotiable; it must be made.

Those who wait until the event happens to fill up are taking an unnecessary risk. When the power goes out, gas pumps will not operate. In many areas, lots of stations are closed during the night. During a disaster, most stations close because the operators are also evacuating.

Several folks died during the Houston evacuation from Rita for the simple reason they were stuck in traffic with no gas in horrible heat and humidity.

There are those who are inherent risk-takers. They account for a large percentage of the casualties during disasters. Why risk being reduced to a statistic? Be smart and increase your chances of survival. Always keep five or more gallons of gas in your Maxima.
Do you also keep a closet full of water, medicine, food and a shot gun full of ammo to pretect it???
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM

Do you also keep a closet full of water, medicine, food and a shot gun full of ammo to pretect it???
word.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:09 AM

xoomer - Now that you ask, yes, we do try to keep at least a three-to-four month food supply on hand. We gradually rotate the oldest stock into our current menu so as to not have anything spoil.

We save money by buying in bulk. Just yesterday I bought 36 cans of Mandarin oranges (in their own juice, not in syrup) at Kroger; they are on special until Jan 13, two cans for $1.

Powered milk makes a very palatable finished product, and canned veggies, fruits and meat products actually keep for years. Always keep tabs on the 'sell by' or expiration dates.

A primary purpose of keeping so much on hand is in case there is a pandemic such as bird flu, we plan to close the gates and stay at home until the event passes. I lost two uncles in the 1918 flu epidemic which killed millions worldwide.

To answer your other question, we do keep both a loaded automatic shotgun and .38 caliber pistol at hand, as we live on a large piece of property which is rather secluded from any neighbor, so have to be able to defend ourselves.

And to make this 6th gen related, I am beginning to see more and more '07 Maximas on the roads around here. I was a little surprised it took this long to begin seeing them. My dealer (4 miles away) has had between one and two dozen on hand since soon after they were introduced.

I think SLs look best with the front treatment of the '04 thru '06, while the SE looks better with the aggressive, powerful (less chromed) look of the front of the '07.

Quick Reply: How much do you fill up. In Gallons!!!