6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman Product Survey - Front Grills

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman Product Survey - Front Grills

We're going to carry more appearance parts this year, and we're thinking about front grills. I'm hoping I can get a little input.

Which basic aftermarket front grill design is the most popular?

1. One piece, covering up the "split" and Nissan emblem; or,

2. One piece, but with a design feature in the middle like the "split", with a Nissan emblem; or,

3. Two pieces, leaving the stock "split" and emblem visible

How much interest is there in something different from the standard billet aluminum, i.e. grills made from billet stainless, and s/s wire mesh?

Finally, let us know if there's a brand/style that you really like, especially if its not one of the most common versions. If someone wants to get creative with photoshop, we'd like to see your ideas.

Thanks,

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

# 2 with SS mesh for me
Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 AM
mixshows

#2 for me

if you can "spice" up that split some then im down. too many people have the no split and no emblem, would like to see something different.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Brian, I'd like to see a quality stainless steel SS grill similar to the Cadillac CTS-V.

Also recommend if you cannot find a volunteer test fit vehicle, use a rental...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 AM
*moderator*

I think we have a grill that with a bit of tweaking could be really good. It's the Redlinemax grill and with them no longer being in business, I think this would be a good route to go. Especially since I get hit up all the time as to where to find this grill. Pretty much everybody on this site dislikes the "big tooth" and would prefer a different look than stock.
Here's a pic of the RLM grill.

And for the record again I am local and am always willing to help out. (plus I have my stock grill if you need to use it)
Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mixshows
#2 for me

if you can "spice" up that split some then im down. too many people have the no split and no emblem, would like to see something different.

agreed.... maybe wider horizontal lines not like the narrow bars out there now.

chrome.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:52 AM

there are a lot of websites that offer the horizontal style chrome grills....

We want something different. Mesh is very popular here in the forums....

The sonora grill and active tuning grill are ver popular but expensive. If your company can develop a mesh grill that will fit our maximas for a affordable price. then you will have a HOT item....

But check out the sonora grill and active tuning grill. We want different and not the same old billet grill..
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Brian I like #2, but maybe without so much of a split with the nissan emblem.
Dan
Old 12-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Cool Member

Something like RLM grill and Active Tuning grill with a nice mesh. I think one piece looks better. Let me know if you need a test fit.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I think we have a grill that with a bit of tweaking could be really good. It's the Redlinemax grill and with them no longer being in business, I think this would be a good route to go. Especially since I get hit up all the time as to where to find this grill. Pretty much everybody on this site dislikes the "big tooth" and would prefer a different look than stock.
Here's a pic of the RLM grill.

And for the record again I am local and am always willing to help out. (plus I have my stock grill if you need to use it)

This is exactly what I mean when I say s/s mesh. I'm not talking about the "expanded mesh" where cuts are made to a sheet of aluminum and then its sort of pulled open to creat an open grid. I recall there were some issues with execution, but have to say this is a design that I really like.

What's the perspective on a mesh insert for the lower valance opening?

This is probably getting into too much detail, but on a mesh grill like this, do you guys like the mesh like it is, or offset 45 degrees if that makes any sense. When you look at it now, you see squares, if the mesh material was positioned "off-bias" you'd see diamonds rather than squares.

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'm looking for something different too. A different pattern, if billet (and better s/s than aluminium), or a nice stainless steel wire mesh.

Regarding the Sarona and Active Tuning designs, my instinct is to keep the peripheral frame thin, and minimize or avoid the painted fibreglass elements - that's why I'm fond of the RLM design. The expanded aluminium mesh is definitely not on our materials list.

Brian

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
there are a lot of websites that offer the horizontal style chrome grills....

We want something different. Mesh is very popular here in the forums....

The sonora grill and active tuning grill are ver popular but expensive. If your company can develop a mesh grill that will fit our maximas for a affordable price. then you will have a HOT item....

But check out the sonora grill and active tuning grill. We want different and not the same old billet grill..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 AM

I have the E&G Classics....
I always have people asking me where I got it from...

I really like the 2007 edition... with just the burger...

The 2004-06 edition has the middle stainless part...
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 PM

As long as it comes in black we are good. I would like to see something different then the mesh or billet. I will have to search for something out there.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by KUBLKMAX
As long as it comes in black we are good. I would like to see something different then the mesh or billet. I will have to search for something out there.

Perhaps something in a nicely oiled black walnut or teak?

BCC
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I never thought about changing out my stock grille, but after my post and experience here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=502664

... I am open to pretty much anything. Whatever you guys can come up is cool with me, as long as it looks good with most colors (mine is Silver).

Based on my experience with the thread above, I'll be in the market for a new grille sometime soon.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by Cattman
This is exactly what I mean when I say s/s mesh. I'm not talking about the "expanded mesh" where cuts are made to a sheet of aluminum and then its sort of pulled open to creat an open grid. I recall there were some issues with execution, but have to say this is a design that I really like.

This is probably getting into too much detail, but on a mesh grill like this, do you guys like the mesh like it is, or offset 45 degrees if that makes any sense. When you look at it now, you see squares, if the mesh material was positioned "off-bias" you'd see diamonds rather than squares.

Brian
For the mesh, you probably better if you offer both squares and diamonds. I myself like the diamonds.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:29 PM

I would definatly buy one if it where right. The redline grill is close but a don't like the bump coming of the top of it in the middle of the hood. I also agree that turning the mesh to make it diamonds instead of squares is the most pleasing to the eye. Stainless Steel although expensive is the only way to go. I was going to make a custom with these specs but never got around to it before the cold came.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:16 PM

i like the RLM grill....im ok w/ that or maybe a lit different w/ a mesh.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:21 PM

whatever you come up with,, try to make it as flush as possible,, nice and clean look
Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I'd say either the RLM or Active Tunning. Thin frame and mesh. Make it as flush as possible so that it flows with the car, remember that the RLM grill did not cover the notch in the bumper, something you'd have to address. Good luck. I am already ordering the Active Tuning but if yours is off the hook, I'll definitely swap.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by kidd4l
For the mesh, you probably better if you offer both squares and diamonds. I myself like the diamonds.
I kind of prefer diamonds too, but I'd really have to see it on the car to know if they worked better than squares.

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blulytes
I have the E&G Classics....
I always have people asking me where I got it from...

I really like the 2007 edition... with just the burger...

The 2004-06 edition has the middle stainless part...

I like that too, also preferring it without the vertical bar. I think I'd like it better with a thinner frame around the outside.

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I would definatly buy one if it where right. The redline grill is close but a don't like the bump coming of the top of it in the middle of the hood. I also agree that turning the mesh to make it diamonds instead of squares is the most pleasing to the eye. Stainless Steel although expensive is the only way to go. I was going to make a custom with these specs but never got around to it before the cold came.

Can someone familiar with the RLN grill comment on why the "bump" seems to be there? Is that a part of the grill or a feature that's left over after removing the stock grill? Is it possibly there because it can't be removed, or has to be included to attach the grill to the car properly? I don't seen anything like that on the E&G grill.

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I am unsure what you are referring to as a "bump" but I was talking about an issue where there is a hole in the bumper where the OEM tooth sits, the RLM grill didn't cover that hole creating a small, noticable gap. Look at JSmithsole's pics and you will notice it at the bottom of the grill where it meets with the bumper, right in the center. As to the mini tooth up top, I personally love it.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Picture a billet s/s center (shaped more or less like the stock center "tooth"), perhaps with vertical lines (w/ or w/o a Nissan emblem), flanked by s/s mesh grills (1/2"-3/8" diamonds) on either side, surrounded by a thin (1/2") s/s steel frame.

That would be something different; the design would have to be simply executed, very clean lines, carefully chosen finishes to avoid looking too busy. It could also be too complicated or expensive to produce.

Thoughts?

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Looks like I misunderstood so we were talking about completely different things. I'm referring to the thin line (visible in the RLM grill pick above) centered just under the lip of the hood (color of the body) above the Nissan emblem. That's the top of the "tooth" (I was calling it a split), but is it something seperate from the stock grill and can it be removed? This would be clear if I had a 6th gen handy to look at, but I don't at this time of night.

I don't really see the feature at the bottom you're referring to, but it seems like none of the tooth is visible with the E&G grill.

BCC

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I am unsure what you are referring to as a "bump" but I was talking about an issue where there is a hole in the bumper where the OEM tooth sits, the RLM grill didn't cover that hole creating a small, noticable gap. Look at JSmithsole's pics and you will notice it at the bottom of the grill where it meets with the bumper, right in the center. As to the mini tooth up top, I personally love it.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM

well truthfully i do like the outside edging of the grille like the RLM and active tuning grilles (IE painted to the car's finish)...and you should still leave the emblem as an option because IMO when i get my grille i plan on representing nissan with my damn hamburger...love the hamburger, respect the hamburger...lolxz

buh still...your idea about the mesh design is the eye catcher...if you could come up with something that is different and unique BUT at the same time...classy and simple. plus we do still need something that has some durability...

hey brian WHY don't you jump on the bandwagon with the maxima tail lights? huh? i mean if you get it done first i mean...last i saw it was pushing a quiet a bit of the 6th gen population on the org...anyone wanna show him the link? and that one we basically already have a design...just need some corporate backing and developing team on it...lolxz take a look brian see if your interested...lolxz cause if you can do it faster than i guess you can claim the rights and copyrights to them...lolxz
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM

I like the M45 Grill.....

http://likwidatemotors.4t.com/ebay2006/05mgrill/2.JPG
Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 PM

thats true like the new g35 grille...lolxz
Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 AM

Looks like I misunderstood so we were talking about completely different things. I'm referring to the thin line (visible in the RLM grill pick above) centered just under the lip of the hood (color of the body) above the Nissan emblem. That's the top of the "tooth" (I was calling it a split), but is it something seperate from the stock grill and can it be removed? This would be clear if I had a 6th gen handy to look at, but I don't at this time of night.

I don't really see the feature at the bottom you're referring to, but it seems like none of the tooth is visible with the E&G grill.

BCC
It is not part of the stock grill, I'm not sure why they incorporated it. Maybe it was supposed to follow the hoods dimensions, but I hate it. As for the bottom portion, if you look closely at the pic and others like it you can see that the bottom of the Redline grill does not follow the conture of the stock bumper. There is a gap in the center where the grill and bumper meet.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 AM

I'd either want something like the RLM or AT, or for a billet one perhaps something like the Infiniti grills. Here's a simple photoshop I did, modifying the Infiniti grill from a previous post to fit the curves of the Maxima's grill opening, which is flat at the top and curvy at the bottom.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:26 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Here is where the problem is with the RLM grille. If the bottom of the grill is too far in, there is a gap. There is a small cutout in the OEM grill where the original tooth once sat. The bottom of the new grill needs to come forward a bit to cover it. Hope this helps >>>

Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 AM
*moderator*

Brian,
I was involved in the development of the RLM grill. And the stock grill does have it (it's where the tooth comes out flush with the hood)and they would have brought the rest of the frame out as well to match but they never had a test car to do a fitting with to make sure the lines matched up. If you look under the hood, they left center bump sticking out to accomodate the hood latch behind. Without it the frame gets really thin and would not be strong enough. But in my opinion they could have shaved it down and fabricated the inside a bit more. With a bit more time and engineering this thing would have been the perfect grill.

And as for the mesh being turned 45 degrees, yes please! Mine was the first proto and was put together incorrectly.

If you need any more info feel free to PM or e-mail me...

Thanks,
J
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Here is where the problem is with the RLM grille. If the bottom of the grill is too far in, there is a gap. There is a small cutout in the OEM grill where the original tooth once sat. The bottom of the new grill needs to come forward a bit to cover it. Hope this helps >>>

Agreed for the stock bumper it would need to come out a bit, but also for a better fit please leave all four clips along the bottom, the RLM grill only used 2 and made the fit a bit off...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:04 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by joecurr
I'd either want something like the RLM or AT, or for a billet one perhaps something like the Infiniti grills. Here's a simple photoshop I did, modifying the Infiniti grill from a previous post to fit the curves of the Maxima's grill opening, which is flat at the top and curvy at the bottom.
Interesting.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM

Brian

You mean somthing like this for the bottom?......this is what RLM had intensions of all along and i guess i got lucky enough to get it finished. I dont like the looks of the stock grill as much withthe mesh in the bottom but it will have to so for the moment.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Personally I like my grille but wish it were not so flat. More Rounded. Even the guys here with their preference for the mesh...I would prefer the chrome mesh as long as it's not so flat. The emblem on my grill is a rear emblem from Japan. I eyeballed it in the middle of the Trenze grill. I tried to round the grille a bit from the back...very difficult to do without damaging the grill. Yes now she's my grill friend! LOL! I do like #2 too.

Cool!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Also, although I really like the new G35 Grill, man is that every nice eh?
I think that we should have our own grill so that we don't look like we envy them too much!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Personally I think the stainless mesh is the classiest and most appealing. I'm not looking for shiny bling and chrome, just a nice elegant upgrade from the abomination they call a stock grill.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:01 PM
R34

yeah, i like the one that catches more bugs

Quick Reply: Cattman Product Survey - Front Grills