6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Halogen Headlamp Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 AM

Halogen Headlamp Question

Does anyone know if when the halogen headlamp dies does it also keep the fog lamp from coming on? My drivers side headlamp is dead and I tried the fog lamp and the drivers side isn't working either. Passenger side headlamp and fog are both working.

The topper to the whole thing is that the local Nissan dealer is out of the replacement and the bulb is on back-order with Nissan! That and no other parts stores seem to stock the replacement H1R2 bulb.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:54 PM

wow that blows, but yes, if the headlamp is burned out then the fog-light will NOT WORK as well, because the lamp has to be on for the fog-light to work as well...good luck with the s*** hole Nissan stealership

dan
Old 12-09-2006, 09:43 PM

Time for HIDs =)
Old 12-10-2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
wow that blows, but yes, if the headlamp is burned out then the fog-light will NOT WORK as well, because the lamp has to be on for the fog-light to work as well...good luck with the s*** hole Nissan stealership

dan

I am not 100% sure if that statement is correct, during my hid install i had both low beams disconnected and both fog lamps still worked..
Old 12-10-2006, 07:23 AM

Do an ebay search for 9012, the bulbs are on there for around $32 each shipped,not my auction just passing along the info
Old 12-10-2006, 08:58 AM

dan
Hope that is the answer. Otherwise, I might have a bigger problem than just a dead bulb.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:37 PM

Just a follow-up. Got the new bulb installed (after checking with 5 dealers). Went pretty smoothly. It works fiine but I find out that the fog lamp on that side IS dead afterall. I rarely used the fogs anyway, so I have no idea how long the fog was out.

'Course now that I know it's dead, it will drive me crazy till I replace it too. Do any of you know the bulb number for our fog lamps and if you can get it anywhere else other than the dealer?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

dan
CORRECTION!

If your headlights are OFF, the fog lights are OFF too. If your headlights are ON but the headlight bulb is burned the fog lights will be ON because the car doesn't check for burned bulbs but for position of the switch (ON vs. OFF).

Sounds confusing, doesn't it? WELL, IT's CORRECT
Old 12-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My driver side headlamp is out now and the fog works on the drivers side.

ANOTHER QUESTION----
Has anyone replaced the headlamp on their own? It looks like you have to disassemble the air filter/intake to get at it. Any help would be appreciated.

2005 Maxima SE, normal headlamps
Old 12-12-2006, 06:10 PM

I just replaced mine on the driver's side. Wasn't too bad.

You'll need to remove the air box and air tunnel from just above the radiator. Be careful removing the snap tabs as you'll need them again. Unsnap the top of the filter cover and use a 10mm driver to loosen the ring clamp so you can move the top to the side. There is another 10mm bolt next to the fender that holds the bottom of the filter box which you'll need to remove. After that you just lift the box out. It is snapped into a couple of rubber gaskets and will "pop" up and out. It would be a good time to knock out the dirt from the box and replace or clean the filter at this point!

You should now have a clean view of the back of the lamp assembly. Look for a round grey housing which covers that back of the headlamp bulb. Rotate it counter-clockwise and it will come off. You will have to do a bit of wiggling the housing to get it to clear the back of the bulb. There are 2 sets of wires back there with quick connect fittings. Remove them and that will make removal easier.

Once the grey housing is removed, you should see the back of the bulb. You'll need to give it a counter-clockwise twist to get it clear of the alignment tabs.

Installation is just the reverse.

Word of caution. Wear some latex gloves to install the new bulb. If you touch the bulb with your bare hands, some of the oils found in skin will get on the bulb. This will greatly reduce the life of the bulb! They are expensive enough as it is. Make sure to get the most life out of them!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey DTinVA
Thanks for the great information! I'm all over it this weekend.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you replace the stock 9012 bulbs with aftermarket, for example PIAA 9007 super white bulbs.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Maxican70
Old 12-29-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by MAXICAN70
Can you replace the stock 9012 bulbs with aftermarket, for example PIAA 9007 super white bulbs.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Maxican70
They would have to have the tab configuration like the 9012's or else they won't fit. I don't know if there are any alternatives like that.