6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

60K-mile Maintenance, but low in $$$...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:11 PM

60K-mile Maintenance, but low in $$$...

Hi guys! Happy new Year to everyone!

Im approaching 60K miles and was wondering if I can do away with the trip to the dealer for the 60K-mile service and just have the REALLY important things done by a local shop or something. And which of these "services" do I really need to get done?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:22 PM
mixshows

i took my old galant to a "local shop" because i was in ure exact same situation with the 60k service needed with little money in my pockets and the mechanic promised to do a few things but really didnt, cracked my radiator, refused to fix it or accept the blame but told me hed install one for free if I bought it....

do yourself a favor, save some money and go to the dealer.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dealer prices are negotiable, always. Just don't do it in person.

I personally have no idea how much they charge for a 60K, but my local dealer charges $400 for a 30K. Here is a price menu to see what it includes from their site (PDF): http://www.buycolonialnissan.com/sit...20Medford2.pdf

I will assume that a 60K is something like $600 or $700...???

Here is my advice: Send an e-mail to all the Nissan dealers in your area (I have 6 in a 30 mile radius of me, YMMV) saying you need a 60K on your '04 Max. Tell them you are shopping around and want a best price. Explain you're looking for no less than 40% off.

See who bites and responds. If they do, print it out and head to that dealer. Everything is negotiable. Remember that.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:11 PM

If your handy the 60k mile service shouldnt be too hard. My brother has a bimmer and the 60k mile inspection 2 was going to run over $1k. Yet $400, and two Saturdays sweat later he did it himself.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 PM
mixshows

wow! awesome advice! i never thought of that, i will def do that when i need to service my whip...i always thought u couldnt bargain with a dealer since its a big company and not a mom and pop shop, imagine me walkin into macys tryin to bargain a price of a 60$ pair of jeans lol!

Old 01-04-2007, 03:52 PM

Thanks! I'll do that tonight. I also didnt think that the price is negotiable. But thanks for the advise. I'll keep you posted...
Originally Posted by MPScan

I personally have no idea how much they charge for a 60K, but my local dealer charges $400 for a 30K. Here is a price menu to see what it includes from their site (PDF): http://www.buycolonialnissan.com/sit...20Medford2.pdf

Here is my advice: Send an e-mail to all the Nissan dealers in your area (I have 6 in a 30 mile radius of me, YMMV) saying you need a 60K on your '04 Max. Tell them you are shopping around and want a best price. Explain you're looking for no less than 40% off.

See who bites and responds. If they do, print it out and head to that dealer. Everything is negotiable. Remember that.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 PM

60k is just another 30k, price should be the same nothing special other then whats performed at 30k
Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by MPScan

WOW! This is a ballsy move. Granted, I think some dealers overcharge on service. But, as a salesman myself, I hate that everytime I try and sell a service or product, I have to put through twice as much effort because some purchasing agent has to nickel and dime me on everything. My valued customers get great pricing from the start and even better service. My customers that nickel and dime me get the best price but little service.

A few things to take note here. People tend to buy cars they cant afford to maintain. Always think of that up front when buying a car that you can make the payment on. Not saying it cant be tough financially from time to time, but I see it more often than not. People buy really nice cars, and a tire blows. That tire cost them $250 bucks that they didnt plan for. So they need to drop insurance to pay for the tire. It then spirals. End of a "life lesson" I learned first hand.

Secondly, if you build a relationship with the dealership when you buy a car (instead of taking in some "internet special" from a dealer across the state), they will most likely treat you pretty fairly. Making a profit is not a bad thing.

I suggest going to your local dealer and explaining your situation. I bet they work with you on the price. Why waste four or five dealers time when you can go to your dealer and have it wrapped up in less than a few minutes.

Sorry, more of a personal rant than anything, but the mentallity that "everything is negotiable" isnt always the case. That gets you best price, not best service. Try that tactic with a dr. when he deliverying your baby or a plumber when a pipe is bursting in your basement.

One other thing.... if you pay a few bucks more for a service and dont always "negotiate" the dealer is more willing to go to bat for you over a NON- warranty claim or if there is a problem in the future.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 AM
mixshows

Originally Posted by STARR
60k is just another 30k, price should be the same nothing special other then whats performed at 30k

thats not true, correct me if im wrong but the 60k service gets a water pump change, timing belt replaced, tranny flush and a few other things, 30k doesnt get these changes...

Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 AM

these cars have a timing chain, not a belt. To replace a water pump at 60K would be ludicrous.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 AM

Just some heads up, i had to replace 2 of my belts at 30K....

You dont need to service your car all in 1 shot. The main things to focus on are:

Oil and filter change
Transmission flush
Tire Rotation & Balance

Everything else, do yourself or later at the dealer.

The point to point inspections
In cabin filters
Air Filters
Coolent Flush
Radiator Cap
Wipers
etc....
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM

$300-600 isn't too bad. Heck I paid about $650 just getting the 60K service on my '02 Galant!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by Kross
$300-600 isn't too bad. Heck I paid about $650 just getting the 60K service on my '02 Galant!
....and you signed up as a member just to say that???
Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
....and you signed up as a member just to say that???
No.

I am planning on buying a '06 Maxima SL (Hopefully Elite Package) in the very near future. I would have to create a new thread for all the questions I have, but I can't because you can't start a new thread unless you have 15 posts.

And I don't want to be rude and hijack a random thread with my research queries for the future buy...so I am just hanging out until I reach the post count.