6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Those Fujitas...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 AM

Those Fujitas...

I've been reading in the forums about how everyone loves the Fujita CAI for the 6th gen. I'm not a stickler for super-high performance because I feel that I'm doing alright with stock.

I don't take my car to the track, I never hooked a computer up to it, nor did I perform any kind of performance upgrade but yet...I want to keep my max running nice and smooth. Are cold air intakes better for your vehicle overall? I'm sure they provide a small HP bump, but are they cleaner, better for the engine? Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They can provide a small increase in fuel economy. Like .5MPG or so. At least thats been my experience in putting them into all my previous vehicles.

CM
Old 02-16-2007, 08:51 AM

Law,

I can't give hard copies of any solid proof, but my hunch would be 'yes'. Do engines not prefer colder air to perform better? If they perform better, could that not also mean they will last longer?

I have the wrinkled black one and I love it. I think it was a great decision and would encourage everyone to grab one.

There is a 12 wheel horsepower increase, not that the Max needs that and I quite agree with you on this, but it does make you a little giddy to feel the increase. It is noticeable.
There is also a yummy growl from under the hood when you crawl up into the 5000rpm range.

All this from a minivan Mom that never thought she'd be modding her baby!

BTW check out the Group Deal section here, there is a link for one from a distributer named 'RideTuner'. Keep all of us updated on what you decide to do.

Trish/Swee
Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've been reading on the other "6th gen forum" about it and it seems to be a no brainer. People have worries about water getting into the CAI, but they have been squashed by some very "seasoned" members. I'm assured that unless I drive through 2 feet of water, I'll be fine.

I even listened to it on youtube.com and all I have to say is "Gimme gimme gimme.." However, I do think my fuel mileage will suffer intially because of that awesome roar it gives off. I just have to remind myself that a 12hp gain on the max will not make it an "exotic machine". I'm very interested in the black finish as it will match the rest of the engine bay.

...now I am daydreaming of how I want my Onyx max to look and sound:

Fujita CAI
19" Gunmetal Nismo Rays (Lowered of course)
Activetuning S4.1 grill with red nismo emblem on the right
(maybe paint the existing SE letters red on the trunk)
Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

So who's going to be the first to emasure the I.D. vs the stock MAF I.D.?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:32 AM

I asked this in the y-pipe thread, but it applies here, so hopefully someone will address it in one or the other:

What would the overall effect be if combining this Fujita intake with the CE Y-pipe. I've read you get a little leaner with the y-pipe, so would the CAI balance it out or make it worse?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:44 AM

I would ask RideTuner or RHMax. I believe they may have that insight.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Changing the I.D of the MAF will affect A/F.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM

What's the cheapest that anyone's found a Fajita intake? And where?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM

I've seen it for 249.00 USD w/ free ground shipping via UPS on the Group Deal section of this site. Swee was right!

Everywhere else its from $269.00 up to $335.00
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 PM

Cobrar97,

What ever you do, don't call your performance part a 'Fajita' (See above) j/k.

You can grab one here or get one from his website in my sig.

I'm not terribly certain what my Fujita had cost because my husband bought it for a Christmas present for my car! (Only thing on my 'wish list').

I can vouch for RideTuner's customer service. It is phenominal. Check his seller feedback and buy with confidence. I have bought from him in the past on a few things and haven't had a problem with his customer service whats so ever.

(No, I don't get commision from him, work for him. I am not related to him or any of his friends....etc...etc...) any and all legal disclaimers mean nothing here, just throwing it out there.

Swee
Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 PM

Swee, thank you for the support.

Law520, or anybody else, please let me know if you have any questions. You can send me a private message or email me at sales@ridetuner.com and I will get back to you right away.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:15 AM

I saw them on ebay for $239 w/ free shipping...I thought from RideTuner.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fujita vs ...

Why is the Fujita intake so superior??? I have an AEM and very pleased. I remember when AEM got all the praise. Please explain to me the technological advantages of Fujita over other brands. Thank you
Old 02-17-2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
I asked this in the y-pipe thread, but it applies here, so hopefully someone will address it in one or the other:

What would the overall effect be if combining this Fujita intake with the CE Y-pipe. I've read you get a little leaner with the y-pipe, so would the CAI balance it out or make it worse?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
I would think that adding more parts that make the air flow better would lean it out more. from what I've seen, it's kinda a toss-up whether or not it'll throw a code from being that lean though. I'm about to add the Y-pipe, and I'm not worried about it. I plan on doing something with the ECU in the near future to fix the problem anyway.

as for the fujita compared to others, I don't know.. but I know Tek did a dyno before and after. I'd rather see that kinda proof than the manufacturer's estimates on HP gains.

and I agree with Swee: Ridetuner is the man!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 AM

I have a lot of threads on intakes and Berk seems well liked along with Fujita. I dont remember seeing the befroe and after (mod vs stock) comparison. But the one real question I have is people have said that with intakes is that ithey ALWAYS weakenyour low end torque/acceleration from the line while adding more top end. Can someone please say yes or no in regards to deminished take acceleration with intakes??
Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I piss on Civics.

fujita for the win

fujita intakes seem to take the prize when it comes to our cars but there are still a lot of decent competitors out there.. i was debating between the fujita and a stillen until i heard the roars at 5000+rpms from the fujita.. buddy of mine has the stillen and his brother got the fujita one from ridetuner.. my god the difference in power, sound cleanliness, and overall thrill..

im waiting on my order from ridetuner and i must agree with everyone here.. his customer service, knowledge, and pricing is by far unbeatable.. if your serious about the need for an intake, you cant go wrong with the fujita..

scary thing is that mine arrives on thursday and I'll be out in the cold installing it.. sigh the price im going to pay to have a sick CAI
Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ecksy
fujita intakes seem to take the prize when it comes to our cars but there are still a lot of decent competitors out there.. i was debating between the fujita and a stillen until i heard the roars at 5000+rpms from the fujita.. buddy of mine has the stillen and his brother got the fujita one from ridetuner.. my god the difference in power, sound cleanliness, and overall thrill..

im waiting on my order from ridetuner and i must agree with everyone here.. his customer service, knowledge, and pricing is by far unbeatable.. if your serious about the need for an intake, you cant go wrong with the fujita..

scary thing is that mine arrives on thursday and I'll be out in the cold installing it.. sigh the price im going to pay to have a sick CAI

Right on man! I'm over in Mt. Laurel, NJ and I would definitely do an install in this weather. I love this site! Most of my knowledge about my car has come from all the experience people have contributed here.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Will the hp gains diminish over time when the computer adjusts itself for the leaner conditions a free flowing intake? How much hp is lost at low rpm where most of the typical driving is? I see riceboys all the time adding "performance" items to their car just to see the daily driving power fall off significantly and the gain at the track is measured in 10ths of second at WOT. I would much rather see some kind of performance improvement in the mid range where I would use it.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:46 AM

I couldn't tell a difference in the low end.. and this past week I've been driving very carefully watching my MPG around town.. I had it up over 26mpg with very little highway driving... so it's not hurting anything there..

and the computer does not reset itself, so stop spreading that rumor. more air=more air, period.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:08 PM

Having come from a car with a Air Density sensor instead of a MAF I can say that you will see gains from the CAI on these cars due to the fact it is accounting for the greater air flow, where as with air density, you get minimal gains due to it only knowing how warm the air is instead of how much air you are getting in there, thus the car not altering anything for the extra air.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Great products and the roar is addicting. I gave another member a ride around the block at a local meet and he was like damn Bernard, I can't believe we drive the same cars. He was sold.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ritz
and the computer does not reset itself, so stop spreading that rumor. more air=more air, period.
More air coming in would mean a leaner intake charge if it's not compensated for so what is sending the signal for more fuel? MAF? You've changed a paramenter that is a fixed range with the stock intake. With the chips in the Buicks we can adjust the fuel curve to compansate for intakes, exhausts, cams, fuels, boost curves, etc. I never said reset, I said adjust.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Yes, the MAF detects the increase in the airflow, and I haven't looked but it may have a temp sensor to also factor in, and tells the ECU to adjust fuel to maintain the approximately same A/F ratio, thus giving the car a minor boost in HP(I am willing to bet about 5-7HP for a V6) but nothing too drastic.

The best part is with higher HP you move the car easier so MPG go up slightly. I had a 5.7L Dodge magnum prior to this and I had CAI, Hi-flow cats, catback exhaust and a computer tuner, while running premium I was getting about 2 MPG better and my HP was up about 30HP over stock
Old 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pronto
More air coming in would mean a leaner intake charge if it's not compensated for so what is sending the signal for more fuel? MAF? You've changed a paramenter that is a fixed range with the stock intake. With the chips in the Buicks we can adjust the fuel curve to compansate for intakes, exhausts, cams, fuels, boost curves, etc. I never said reset, I said adjust.
my bad. guess I read through it too fast.

I mean .... that was for people who were GOING to say something like that... yeah... that's it..
Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by siggy580
I have a lot of threads on intakes and Berk seems well liked along with Fujita. I dont remember seeing the befroe and after (mod vs stock) comparison.:
Check this thread: you can see the mod vs stock numbers.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=dyno

Originally Posted by siggy580
But the one real question I have is people have said that with intakes is that ithey ALWAYS weakenyour low end torque/acceleration from the line while adding more top end. Can someone please say yes or no in regards to deminished take acceleration with intakes??
Yes......it will diminish your acceleration at take off.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Check this thread: you can see the mod vs stock numbers.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=dyno

Yes......it will diminish your acceleration at take off.
although, if you're worried about that, you're probably running it a bit hard, and then, how much of that time are you under 3500 rpms anyway? only for about 1/2 a second.. so, really, you're not losing much.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM

I've seen a Stillen Intake a friend of mine just got and it looks like a puzzle to install.

The Fujita is one piece. Much nicer for install purposes, for those of us that have to install in the colder weather.

Swee
Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I think my Fujita is a little too loud at higher RPM's. One I get over 5000RPM's it gets real loud and seems to vibrate through the entire engine well. Anyone else experience this? I love it at lower RPM's though.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't normally hear it at lower rpms.

Check your rubber mount and make sure it hasn't worked itself loose?!

Other than that, it does growl fiercely when you really lay into it.

Swee
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Any non resonated intake piping will do that. Smooth sound > Loud wail anyday, IMO.

I tested a resonated pipe vs a straight pipe, and saw only a 1-3 whp difference, but the sound increase was phenomenal (not in a good way)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
, it does growl fiercely when you really lay into it.

Swee
I like that expression, you nailed it!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Thank you dear,

It's the gift of my demented imagination. I love these intakes. There really is no down side to having one. (Other than grotesque fuel consumption).

The proven horsepower gain can be found on 6thgenmaxima.org. Scroll down to mods/clips/videos, look up TeK's dyno-ed numbers. He even video taped it and posted it while on the dyno.

Drum roll..........................

12whp gain!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Imagine if the AFR was tuned better.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Can't that be done through the Dyno? Not terribly familiar with the whole dyno thing, except to measure torque and hp. Do they not also adjust air/fuel and other goodies?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

They only measure @ the wheels. Some can tune, but they charge extra. You can street tune or dyno tune.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:25 AM

Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't had mine dyno-ed. Not sure I care to, but the info is always helpful, then I can go in informed.

Trish
Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM

Fujita (black) for sale @3kmiles 200$ shipped

Fujita (black) for sale (off of '06) @3kmiles 200$ shipped.

Email me chad9350@yahoo.com or call 337-802-3787

if interested or have any questions.

Chad
Old 02-28-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by chad9350
Fujita (black) for sale (off of '06) @3kmiles 200$ shipped.

Email me chad9350@yahoo.com or call 337-802-3787

if interested or have any questions.

Chad
as if your three (or more?) posts about your parts for sale weren't enough...
Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ritz
as if your three (or more?) posts about your parts for sale weren't enough...
lol, give the guy a break! I talked with him over the phone and he seemed pretty cool. seems as if he's getting rid of all the parts he had on the Max and putting it into the Mustang