6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Automatic Transmission Fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Automatic Transmission Fluid flush

Guys,

I know this probably may have been covered in the fluid threads but for the most part, they relate to older gens...

I'm planning to do a complete tranny flush at 38k. I've been reading that the dexron/mercons are pretty good. Should I go with these or stick with nissan's factory ATFs?

Are 9 qts suffoce?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 PM

stick with the Factory ATFs from Nissan
Old 02-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
stick with the Factory ATFs from Nissan
thanks. I can't find them at pep boys or autozone...where can I find them?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by normkit108
thanks. I can't find them at pep boys or autozone...where can I find them?
At NISSAN
Old 02-16-2007, 04:46 PM

sigh!........
Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Newbie just Registered

$9.15/qt...
Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
$9.15/qt...
That's cheap! Mine was close to $15 IIRC and I think i'm going to need about 5 quarts of it to just drain and fill it
Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM

sigh!........
i live like 10 blocks away from a nissan service center, i was hoping to avoid them because they always charge an arm and let over there..

sounded like a trick question huh?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 PM

I went to flush mine last week, hit 30k, and both Nissan Dealerships told me not to Flush/Drain Refill the tranny. They told me that it is not necessary until 100k. I had never heard of that but that is what they said.

I called them when I couldn't find it in the service booklet.

Please tell me you have good news. Should I, like the original poster, be concerned with this?

Also, thanks guys for your info on this matter.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:51 PM

For the **** people it wouldn't hurt to do it at these low miles. I've heard that once you start nearing 100k you SHOULD NOT do anything with the trans fluid because it has already grown attached and accustomed to the particles and metals or what not...this is what many have told me, but you SHOULD do it at lower mileage.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:52 PM

The 6th gen Owner's Manual calls for changing the auto tranny fluid at 105,000 miles if it has not already been changed.

BUT

It also says the fluid should be checked every 15,000 miles, and if discolored, polluted, burnt-smelling, or otherwise questionable, it should be changed.

For normal driving, there should be no problem making the first change at 60,000. But, being semi-****, I plan to change around 45,000. Truly **** folks will change at 30,000. With normal driving, changing before 30,000 is simply throwing money to the wind.

I had no auto tranny problems in 206,000 miles with my 1985 Maxima, and I changed the tranny fluid only twice - at 75,000 and 150,000 miles.

I would suggest those driving under difficult conditions (steep grades, pulling trailer, dusty conditions, extreme heat or cold, lots of city driving, lots of very high speed driving, lots of brisk accelleration, etc) to check more often than every 15,000 miles, and consider changing the fluid at around 20,000 to 30,000 miles.

For everybody else, under normal conditions, the fluid should easily do fine for 60,000 miles, although changing a little sooner may bring many folks peace of mind.

And be careful which fluid you use. The Owner's Manual says the 6th gen tranny cannot use some of the normal fluids. Don't blow your five year power train warranty by putting the wrong fluid in.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Well im certianly not waiting til I hit that much , im at 55K now and Ive had the TCU reprogram because im having the shift shock problem..

The reprogramming help like the first 2 weeks and from time to time the shifts are getting harder. Im going to flush it out maybe next week.
I cant say stealership cause my friends all work back there and I just buy the oil and a 6 pack of Guiness and they are happy.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by normkit108
i live like 10 blocks away from a nissan service center, i was hoping to avoid them because they always charge an arm and let over there..

sounded like a trick question huh?
Shoot if you live 10 blocks away , start making friends there.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
For normal driving, there should be no problem making the first change at 60,000. But, being semi-****, I plan to change around 45,000. Truly **** folks will change at 30,000. With normal driving, changing before 30,000 is simply throwing money to the wind.

I had no auto tranny problems in 206,000 miles with my 1985 Maxima, and I changed the tranny fluid only twice - at 75,000 and 150,000 miles.

I would suggest those driving under difficult conditions (steep grades, pulling trailer, dusty conditions, extreme heat or cold, lots of city driving, lots of very high speed driving, lots of brisk accelleration, etc) to check more often than every 15,000 miles, and consider changing the fluid at around 20,000 to 30,000 miles.
I rarely disagree with light on anything. His advice is right on in this post, with one exception: "lots of very high speed driving" should not be a big strain on the trannie fluid unless the driving conditions are also very hot (over 95 degrees F or so) or dusty or pulling a trailer.

The color and smell of auto trannie fluid are key indicators. Look at and smell it now (when your Max is relatively new) so that you can notice a difference when it starts to get either dark or smelly. The only problem with changing your fluid too soon is that it wastes money and resources -- you can have bigger problems if you run the fluid too long. I think light's recommendation of about 60 K miles is about right unless you notice a color or smell problem before that or if your driving is in extremen conditions (see his list).

Remember, if you do a drain and refill you are changing less than half of the trannie fluid. A trannie flush gets more of the old fluid replaced.

Finally, you have to do some searching of the stickies in the Fluids & Lubes section of this site to find info that applies to 6th Gen Maximas, but the good advice there is worth the search -- it was for me and my manual trannie.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Newbie just Registered

I did mine last week at 22k miles; not a full flushed, I just drained a few quarts. The oil was dirty and smelled burnt. So I think I will do a full flushed in a few weeks. Does the 5AT really take 12-14 quarts?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 AM

RH, you're having that with only 22k on your car? That really early is it not? Im at 33k now.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 AM

Shoot if you live 10 blocks away , start making friends there.
My boy is quitting at the end of next week..
Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I just had a tranny flush at 30K miles and I took it to a transmission service center, I ensured they used Genuine Nissan 5AT Type "K" (The Nissan Owners Manual has a big warning about using anything other than Genuine Nissan), cost was about $9.50 per qt. The tech dropped the pan, cleaned the screen, pan, replaced the O-ring, and gasket, bolts were still in great condition (drain/pan bolts) so they were reused.

The tech and I agreed that a full flush was not required, actually they recommend leaving some of the old AT Fluid so we only replaced 5 qts. If anything, never get a transmission flush using a power flush machine because they do not properly clean the pan and screen which is where all the particles settle. My cost was $125. and the guy gave me back 3 qts because initially he had ordered 8.

Overall zero problems and smooth shifts, if anything DO NOT skimp on your tranny flush, it is one of the most costliest repairs you can have if not treated right...
Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
RH, you're having that with only 22k on your car? That really early is it not? Im at 33k now.
It was a little sticky getting out of Park, so I just did it to see what condition the oil was in. It was a lot dirtier than I expected. The 4 new qts. made it feel like new, but the fact that the remaining oil is burnt and dirty made me think about a full flush.

I don't it drive much, but I drive relatively hard.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by chernmax
...The tech dropped the pan, cleaned the screen, pan, replaced the O-ring, and gasket, bolts were still in great condition (drain/pan bolts) so they were reused...
Pan? 5AT or 4AT?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got mine done at the dealer for $99.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
For the **** people it wouldn't hurt to do it at these low miles. I've heard that once you start nearing 100k you SHOULD NOT do anything with the trans fluid because it has already grown attached and accustomed to the particles and metals or what not...this is what many have told me, but you SHOULD do it at lower mileage.
Some even says after 50K, leave it alone (read from thecarconnection.com Q&A). Of my 3 long mileage cars, the 1st flush (~30K) always gave dirty oil. The oil got cleaner the next 15K-flushes. By the time they got near 100K, the oil is very clean. At that time I just check and feel no need to flush anymore. But my '93 Accord's trans gave up ~165K. My Pathfinder's trans -~130K- still shift better than my '04. My nephew reports the '97Max still shift well and strong ~190K (last time I checked).
Old 02-19-2007, 05:30 PM

i was actually going to take my car to get the tranny fluid replaced because i checked it the other day and its burnt. i reaplaced it once at 30k and i am at 56k now. i drive my car hard but isn't it too soon to have to replace again. right after they had replaced the tranny fluid i checked it and it was still dirty. i am guessing that it is dirty again because last time they just did a drain and refill and not all the oil comes out. my mechanic said in order to fully flush the max is to drain and refill over and over until clean. is this true? obviuosly this way would be very expensive. what dod you guys think?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 PM

How do you guys tell if it's burnt or dirty...? Just using the dipstick...?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by EdRomo86
i am guessing that it is dirty again because last time they just did a drain and refill and not all the oil comes out. my mechanic said in order to fully flush the max is to drain and refill over and over until clean. is this true? obviuosly this way would be very expensive. what dod you guys think?
I suspect that you are correct about your last change. There are machines that are reported to do a good job flushing out most of the old fluid.

I have a friend who says he will take off the pan and then run the engine in gear (with brakes on) to have the trannie pump push out most of the old fluid. He says that this takes two people because you don't want to run the trannie when it is dry. One person watches and when the fluid flow goes way down this person yells to turn off the engine.

With the trannie dipstick you can see some of the fluid on the stick. Smell it too. You should do this when the car is new so you know what new fluid looks and smells like.

I don't have these problems with the 6-speed. I just open the drain and the fill bolts and drain it overnight (I've done it once and with the proper tools it's easy).
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did my tranny flush last month at 17K (city driving). Needed 3 qts for my 5AT. Sent a sample to Blackstone Lab and they said that my timing was correct. It did not have much life left. I change it every two years. Cheap insurance.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
Did my tranny flush last month at 17K (city driving). Needed 3 qts for my 5AT. Sent a sample to Blackstone Lab and they said that my timing was correct. It did not have much life left. I change it every two years. Cheap insurance.
Do you have the FULL TRANNY FLUSH done at your Nissan dealership, or do you just drain and fill yourself?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by RHMax
Pan? 5AT or 4AT?
Depends on what type of transmission you have, I have a 5AT...
Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Sounds correct.

I do provide IT services to a local transmission parts wholesaler and while normally just mind my own business, do my thing and get out, today I decided to ask some questions.

Well, the guy told me that doing tranny flush at low mileage will replace the fluid which is just fine. Once you get into high mileage cases changing the fluid he says, will do more damage than good. He says lots of people change their fluid and week later the tranny is dead. (Reminds me of a recent thread on NYCMaximas) He says that there are particles in the used fluid that provide traction to internal parts and once you flush it out the worn parts in the tranny will no longer work as designed. In addition, the new fluid will bring new detergents that are part of the mix that will further clean these parts and they will esentially start sliping. He works in the industry for past 20 years and says if you don't change your fluid at early stage, don't change it at all.

BTW. The whole conversation started when I asked about a tranny cooler and whether it would do anything for the car. He says it will not save the tranny or help it and that our trannies are on the "bad list". He said that they sell whole bunch of parts for these trannies and same parts are used in Volvo trannies. I was in disbelieve untill 5 minutes into the conversation a guy walks in to pickup valve body, gaskets and some other crop I can't even name for the 2004 nissan max (5speed, auto). I was like damn dude, you really made my day. NOT!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM

So our trans' suck?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 AM

So what would be considered low mileage for a tranny flush, 30k, 60k? I had a 96 eclipse that I just sold. I did a flush on it at 90k back in 02 and it had 140k when I sold it last week. I Never had any problems because of the trany flush.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

So our trans' suck?
So I am hearing....
Old 02-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by hfj17002
So what would be considered low mileage for a tranny flush, 30k, 60k? I had a 96 eclipse that I just sold. I did a flush on it at 90k back in 02 and it had 140k when I sold it last week. I Never had any problems because of the trany flush.
Based on my conversation with the guy I assume its good to flush it at around 30K to get rid of the initial deposits from breaking-in. After that it might do more damage then good.

Recently a guy at NYCMaximas went to Jiffy Lube to had a tranny flush. Two weeks later the tranny went dead but the problems started just day(s) after he had it done.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Based on my conversation with the guy I assume its good to flush it at around 30K to get rid of the initial deposits from breaking-in. After that it might do more damage then good.

Recently a guy at NYCMaximas went to Jiffy Lube to had a tranny flush. Two weeks later the tranny went dead but the problems started just day(s) after he had it done.
Jiffy lube......mostly teens in progress of becoming techs......=make mistakes! From what i've seen at least. So, it basically just depends on what kind of job a place does.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hfj17002
So what would be considered low mileage for a tranny flush, 30k, 60k? .
I think you have the right idea -- somewhere between 30K and 60K is about right. Remember, to check from time to time for smell and burned look. When you see or smell that, get it flushed soon, no matter the mileage.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have the FULL TRANNY FLUSH done at your Nissan dealership, or do you just drain and fill yourself?
Myself. I don't like any type of power flush. That's just me. I take the plug out and flush whatever comes out, even if the converter still holds a few quarts. The tranny operates at such high temperature I prefer to change the oil more often.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
Myself. I don't like any type of power flush. That's just me. I take the plug out and flush whatever comes out, even if the converter still holds a few quarts. The tranny operates at such high temperature I prefer to change the oil more often.
The fluid in your auto trannie gets all mixed up -- the old with the new. So the new quarts you put in get mixed with the old fluid that does not drain out when you just drain the trannie. You are changing less than half of the fluid the way you do it. Would you only drain half of the oil out of your engine while leaving all of the old motor oil in the filter? By not pulling the trannie pan, you have left the filter in the bottom of the trannie pan dirty.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 AM

How do you pull the pan then? If you just pull the pan, clean the filter and drain and fill by yourself, then would that be good enough?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

The filter is replacable and once you remove the pan you have to replace the gasket too. I can check on wholesale prices if anyone is interested....
Old 02-21-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
The filter is replacable and once you remove the pan you have to replace the gasket too. I can check on wholesale prices if anyone is interested....
If you could please!

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Fluid flush