6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Does the Fujita intake suck water?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Does the Fujita intake suck water?

I'm looking into the Fujita intake, but I was wondering if it sucked up rain water and snow? It appears as though the filer is down low, and I'd think it would suck water? Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM

The only way that it will is if you are a and drive it into a few feet of water, but just use common sense and you'll be alright! I just ordered mine today!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM

I live in South Carolina where it pours. With the Fujita, only once did I 'baby' it. I think even during that time it was an overkill. The water was in an intersection that I needed to cross through. I angled the car and was just coasting through and I didn't accelerate, because in the event it was too much water, the intake wouldn't suck it in would suck it in.

Swee
Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 PM

Yea but is there any type of prevention method for this? a cover or something waterproof?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:43 PM

Directly underneath the filter is a splash guard. This keeps away water nicely. Behind the filter is the wheel well guard. I've driven in heavy rain storms many times locally and on the interstate without any issues. There is no guarantee but I have never had any issues with water. None of our customers (maximas and other cars as well) have reported having any issues with water.

Stay away from deep puddles and you should be fine.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't drive through two feet of standing water and you should be fine.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:47 AM

Stay away from Lake (St.) George and you''ll be good!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:57 AM

Lake St sounds bad even if you don't have an aftermarket intake.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 PM
briancopeland

I almost put a Fujita on my car, but opted for the Nismo intake instead. It has bit of protection as it's segmented with foam in between to absorb water, etc. I've seen some other intakes, like particular Injen's, that have bypasses where it will not suck up "standing" water. However, that Fujita intake is one piece (easy to install), but offers NO protection. I'd still go for it , but would think twice before EVER crossing any standing water that comes up to your bumper (as the previous poster suggested). By a Titan if you're too worried about it

Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 PM

All I have to say is watch out. My friend's car was claimed "totaled" after his intake sucked a bunch of water up. He claimed that his K&N intake had one of those water bypass too... so better be safe then be sorry.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:29 AM

Nisssan6 and other critics, (Primarily Nissan6),

You REALLY have to be an idiot with your car to do those things. This question has beat within an inch of it's life.

Your friend's car was totaled over a hydrolocked engine? Must have been an older car. No insurance totals out a car over a water logged engine. And on top of that insurance doesn't deal with engines as a general rule. It is the owner that writes it off. Especially since it was modded.

These are great intakes and additions to your car. Unless you plan on using your car as a sailing vessel, you'll be fine. If you do plan on yachting, add a rudder for good measure.

Brian,
The baffles would be good for very minor water intake, but if your sunk deep enough to take in water, it's all over anyway.......
From a Fujita Owner,
Trish
Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
You REALLY have to be an idiot with your car to do those things. This question has beat within an inch of it's life.
Yes I know
Your friend's car was totaled over a hydrolocked engine? Must have been an older car.
No, it was a 01-02 mitsubishi eclipse.
No insurance totals out a car over a water logged engine. And on top of that insurance doesn't deal with engines as a general rule. It is the owner that writes it off. Especially since it was modded.
???????? no.......you clearly don't know what comprehensive insurance is?

collision insurance doesn't deal with engines....

Dealers don't deal with hydrolocked engines under warranty because of negligence just fyi for anyone.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM

had mine on the car for 10k, no problems whatsoever and only once did I have to hang a u-turn cause the amount of water that came across the road was making me uneasy.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by briancopeland
I almost put a Fujita on my car, but opted for the Nismo intake instead. It has bit of protection as it's segmented with foam in between to absorb water, etc.
That's bologna. No sponge is going to suck the water up when its being vacumed right passed it. Come on, think about it.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I was originally worried about the same issues and even decided to take it off. After driving for about 2 months rain/no rain/heavy rain I said thats it. On weekend I got the tools out and started disasembling the whole thing only to find out that the filter is looking brand spankin' new. Not a single waterdrop stain anywhere on or around it. I put it all back and have been enjoying it ever since.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Yes I know

No, it was a 01-02 mitsubishi eclipse.

???????? no.......you clearly don't know what comprehensive insurance is?

collision insurance doesn't deal with engines....

Dealers don't deal with hydrolocked engines under warranty because of negligence just fyi for anyone.
I have a vague idea of what insurance is there Small Stuff. After owning close to 25 cars, various makes and models, new, used and some leased, I have a great feel for insurance. If you hydrolock your engine, that's on your back to fix, ESPECIALLY if you are modded! DUH!!!!! The whole, 'you break it you bought it' theory.

Again, car not worth much IF what you say is true. They are going to write off an entire car all over a 'blown/trashed engine'? Not buying it.

I don't totally agree with your comment regarding dealerships and mods, it isn't coined negligence. Dealerships will give you a hard time regarding ANY mods, not just the intakes. That is their job.

Why are you trying so hard to scare people off with these myths? I will continue to debunk these lies.

Swee
Old 02-23-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
That's bologna. No sponge is going to suck the water up when its being vacumed right passed it. Come on, think about it.
false sence of security, reason people buy AWD/4WD then crash in bad weather and blame the car maker for false advertising
Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM
briancopeland

I believe you are correct, Sir! However, there were a few other reasons I went for the Nismo versus the Fujita; that was just one of them. The #1 reason was re-sale. Dealer installed Nissan part vs. add-on. Don't get me wrong, I think that Fujita is awesome and was probably easier to install due to the fewer parts, but the NISMO does the same thing, I got it cheaper, and it looks very nice under my hood. I have NO regrets (and neither should you).

Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by briancopeland
I believe you are correct, Sir! However, there were a few other reasons I went for the Nismo versus the Fujita; that was just one of them. The #1 reason was re-sale. Dealer installed Nissan part vs. add-on. Don't get me wrong, I think that Fujita is awesome and was probably easier to install due to the fewer parts, but the NISMO does the same thing, I got it cheaper, and it looks very nice under my hood. I have NO regrets (and neither should you).
I wasn't knocking any other brand products, just the fact that they try to sell things that don't perform as advertised. Looking at this bogus device, makes me think twice how good/credible NISMO parts really are.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:14 PM

If you hydrolock your engine, that's on your back to fix, ESPECIALLY if you are modded! DUH!!!!! The whole, 'you break it you bought it' theory.
um If you don't have full coverage then obviously.... but YOU ARE WRONG on another account, I'm not even talking about being modded anymore. Judging from your post, you clearly don't know what comprehensive coverage is. Even if its by your own negligence, insurance is supposed to cover it.
Again, car not worth much IF what you say is true. They are going to write off an entire car all over a 'blown/trashed engine'? Not buying it.
Your not buying it? It happened to a friend of mine. I don't get what your trying to say, but um when the damage value exceeds the cost of the car they will, if no they will replace the engine.
I don't totally agree with your comment regarding dealerships and mods, it isn't coined negligence. Dealerships will give you a hard time regarding ANY mods, not just the intakes. That is their job.
Your post is confusing, I wasn't even talking about being modded, dealerships have really hard times covering hydrolocking under warranty drrr. It is considered neglience because the breach of duty was established, simple business law. Take for example GM, modded or not they will not grant any warranty coverage on hydrolock.
Why are you trying so hard to scare people off with these myths? I will continue to debunk these lies.
myths? nice try
Old 02-24-2007, 04:17 AM

Maybe if you continue to repeat yourself it will make it real for you!

To the OP, enjoy your Fujita! You won't regret it.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 AM

Too bad what I posted is indeed true, honestly what part of my post don't you get?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Swee knows her shii :-)
Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM

@ 4swee

perfect example of insurance covering hydrolock.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...=148360&page=5
hey this guy had a cai too.

Originally Posted by srt4 owner
Bad news: total damage, $6000.00. Good news: My car insurance is covering it in full!
There was one post in there about a guy talking about his jeep being totaled from hydrolock also in that thread ^.

This guy almost had his mustang totaled from hydrolocked motor by his insurance yet they gave him $$$ to fix

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...on-vt5155.html

Guy who posted post 13/22 had his celica totaled from hydrolock

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220668

insurance covering scion hydrolock
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...0ae17f035ca4d1

more proof
http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12573

I think you get the point...if you want to discuss this further, PM me I'll happily educate you. There is a difference between comprehensive insurance and collision insurance and hydrolocking can obviosuly be covered under comprehensive.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
@ 4swee

perfect example of insurance covering hydrolock.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...=148360&page=5
hey this guy had a cai too.

There was one post in there about a guy talking about his jeep being totaled from hydrolock also in that thread ^.

This guy almost had his mustang totaled from hydrolocked motor by his insurance yet they gave him $$$ to fix

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...on-vt5155.html

Guy who posted post 13/22 had his celica totaled from hydrolock

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220668

insurance covering scion hydrolock
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...0ae17f035ca4d1

more proof
http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12573

I think you get the point...if you want to discuss this further, PM me I'll happily educate you. There is a difference between comprehensive insurance and collision insurance and hydrolocking can obviosuly be covered under comprehensive.
Right or wrong 4MySwee is only trying to help people there's no need to be an *** to her..
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM

I wasn't trying to be a d!ck or hurt anyone...

4swee, PM me if you did happen to get offended.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Nissan6,

You may have heard that insurance companies will cover it. I have never heard of that and I know that mine won't (Allstate). You have modified the car from it's original condition. They will find a loophole not to cover the car. Mine anyway.

I hope that if you should ever encounter this, that everything you have said here happens for you.

We had a Camry (insert laugh and brutally truthful jokes here) and we drove over a rain soaked bridge. Guess what? Water was introduced under the hood and cracked our distributer cap, or parts throughout this area. We had to pay.

I appreciate your willingness to make any offense a thing of the past. It's cool.

WhiteM1ke88,

Thanks for the defense. Thanks for having my back and being a gentleman about it. You restore my faith in gentlemen nationwide.....well, ok.....here anyway!

Swee
Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Is it me or does this seem semi
Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 PM

Not if someone is concerned about hydrolocking or downsides to an intake, such as the OP.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM

Nissan6,
You may have heard that insurance companies will cover it. I have never heard of that and I know that mine won't (Allstate). You have modified the car from it's original condition. They will find a loophole not to cover the car. Mine anyway.
hmm interesting. Be careful then around water hehe, I'm sure you'll be fine. Last part sounds like something an insurance company would do
We had a Camry (insert laugh and brutally truthful jokes here) and we drove over a rain soaked bridge. Guess what? Water was introduced under the hood and cracked our distributer cap, or parts throughout this area. We had to pay.
Ouch I guess w/e the damage is, it just depends on who/what coverage you have.

Ill be particularly safe with the stock box
Old 02-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Is it me or does this seem semi
Maybe, but I hope you won't lose any sleep over it

Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Even if I did, it wouldn't really matter.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 PM

I have the Black Fujita and no water nor snow gets in!!! The fender plastic shield wont even let a droplet get in.. Unless yours is broken then I'd sugest to get that replaced!!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 AM

Nissan6,

WhiteM1ke88,

Thanks for the defense. Thanks for having my back and being a gentleman about it. You restore my faith in gentlemen nationwide.....well, ok.....here anyway!

Swee

Oh i'm blushing Mama raised me rite I spose
Old 02-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Pass along my thanks, she did a great job!

Just came to the beachhouse from New Bern, NC to Emerald Isle, NC. It poured cats and dogs. Puddle after puddle and the car took it like a champ. My husband didn't baby her, because he was concerned with driving the car like it's meant to be.

No problems to report anyway, As of yet.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Pass along my thanks, she did a great job!

Just came to the beachhouse from New Bern, NC to Emerald Isle, NC. It poured cats and dogs. Puddle after puddle and the car took it like a champ. My husband didn't baby her, because he was concerned with driving the car like it's meant to be.

No problems to report anyway, As of yet.
where suppost to get snow and your at the beach, so unfair
Old 02-25-2007, 04:52 PM

Can't use the water-Too cold
Can't enjoy the weather-Rainy, cold and really windy
Can't use the decks-All of the above reasons.

I'd rather be having a snow storm if I am trapped inside all night. I am in front of a fireplace.....AT A BEACHHOUSE!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:00 PM

lucky you
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM

The sponge isn't made to suck up the water, it's there as a backup air inlet. Air will take the easiest route into the engine. If the CAI filter is submerged in water, the foam filter up higher in the engine bay immediately becomes the "backup" route to suck in air, rather than starting to suck water into the intake tract through the intake piping. It does work, it's been proven to work, it's a simple matter of physics if you think about it. That said, you really do have to submerge the front end of your car into at least a foot and a half of water to have this problem occur. Even if during wet weather the filter becomes wet to the touch and a slight amount of water passes into the intake tract, it will either evaporate before it reaches the combustion chamber or be vaporized during the heat of the combustion cycle worst case.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:06 PM

I get it, like a vacuum with the hole in the handle, you suck something up that jams the vacuum, you twist the hole open on the handle and enough pressure releases that whatever jammed the vaccum can be pulled out, same with the intake but instead of all the water getting sucked into the engine the sponge area starts to suck air in at a higher point releasing the pressure form down

Quick Reply: Does the Fujita intake suck water?