6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima Vs Altima 07's

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:08 PM

Maxima Vs Altima 07's

Just came back from Tampa, FL. Rented a brand new 07 Altima for a week.
Here is the comparison ..

RIDE .. For the most part very smooth but allot of road noise and you really hear the bumps. BETTER turning ratio than Max. Ride better in MAX ..

POWER .. Until now I never even considered a 4cyl.... But now I would think twice. I was impressed with the performance even though there is some high engine noise. It is fairly flat in FL ... might be an issue where you have hills to climb.. Plenty power for passing .. Probably would still get a V6 ...

INTERIOR ... The one we got was stripped .. but over all not bad.. But would
want leather.

STEERING.. Has a tendency to wonder on certain roads didn't like that ..
No SHIMMY 16" wheels .. !!

BRAKES .... DONT LIKE AT ALL worse than the MAX ..

CVT .. The shifter is configured differently than the MAX Altima Better ...

I would consider this car for a second car with no reservations.. An Altima decked out complete with V6 IS a car to look at !! Maybe even over a MAX.

When I got home and drove my Max back IT was good to have her back ..

BOTTOM LINE .. Fully decked out Altima is not that much cheaper than the MAX decked out .. However if you have to keep the cost down the ALTIMA would be the best bet 4 or 6 Cyl .. I only see the Altima as a second car as I would prefer the MAX !!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:23 PM

i'm not a big fan of that 4 cyl. my wife has an 05 altima and it seems to take forever and a day to get going. maybe it just felt adequate b/c it was slightly different than what you're used to. it does look pretty nice though. good luck w/ all of that!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The CVT makes a big difference with the 4 cylinder.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 PM

It pisses me off that the new altima 3.5 has more horsepower than the maxima. Just thought Id share that....
Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Killah - Steady there, buddy! You are 'doing it into the wind' for a meaningless cause.

What does it say when a design that was on the drawing boards in 2001, was seen and photographed being tested on California highways in 2002, began production in January 2003, and has been on dealer lots since March 2003 (i.e., the 6th gen Maxima) is being compared favorably with a COMPLETELY REDESIGNED AND UPDATED 2007 vehicle ('07 Altima)?

It tells me that the 6th gen Maxima was CLEARLY SUPERIOR to the Altima OF ITS ERA.

And that leads me to be fully confident that the 7th gen Maxima arriving just over a year from now, which is the ONLY MAXIMA THAT SHOULD BE COMPARED WITH THE REDESIGNED '07 ALTIMA (which will stay essentially the same for the next four or five years), will again be a CLEARLY SUPERIOR vehicle to the Altima.

As it should be.

Comparing cross-generations may have a little personal meaning if one has to buy right at the moment, but is totally meaningless in trying to compare the overall performance/worthiness of two models. A comparison of EQUIVALENT GENERATIONS is where we have true meaning.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Minivan vs. a 6th gen max. That makes no sense.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Killah - Steady there, buddy! You are 'doing it into the wind' for a meaningless cause.

What does it say when a design that was on the drawing boards in 2001, was seen and photographed being tested on California highways in 2002, began production in January 2003, and has been on dealer lots since March 2003 (i.e., the 6th gen Maxima) is being compared favorably with a COMPLETELY REDESIGNED AND UPDATED 2007 vehicle ('07 Altima)?

It tells me that the 6th gen Maxima was CLEARLY SUPERIOR to the Altima OF ITS ERA.

And that leads me to be fully confident that the 7th gen Maxima arriving just over a year from now, which is the ONLY MAXIMA THAT SHOULD BE COMPARED WITH THE REDESIGNED '07 ALTIMA (which will stay essentially the same for the next four or five years), will again be a CLEARLY SUPERIOR vehicle to the Altima.

As it should be.

Comparing cross-generations may have a little personal meaning if one has to buy right at the moment, but is totally meaningless in trying to compare the overall performance/worthiness of two models. A comparison of EQUIVALENT GENERATIONS is where we have true meaning.
right, as always

its all about marketing. most people can't afford a max so they flood the market with cheap car (altima, sentra) and then offer a better car (max) for the rest. A lot of those who initialy bought the lower end car will pass them on, only to buy the max. So now instead of selling one car, nissan sells 2.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM
briancopeland

Originally Posted by Killah Kane
It pisses me off that the new altima 3.5 has more horsepower than the maxima. Just thought Id share that....
HP as measured by the car manufacturers has been a funny thing lately. It doesn't mean a thing to me that they claim 3.5 more HP. Who really knows what the deal is, especially at the wheels. Right? Besides pick just about any mod on here to get THAT much added to your Maxima. Heck, the Nismo license plate is claimed to be good for 4 +HP. I've read this somewhere. Oh yes, it was me.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:54 PM

I've driven the '05 maxima, '07 maxima, and '07 altima and I'd like to put my .02 in on the subject:

These cars, although very similar in their stats, function completely differently than each other. The altima is MUCH more of a driver's car. Plain and simple. It handles very nicely for a FWD car, has an EXCELLENT frame, good suspension firmness (firm, but not to the point where it's too much..), the changes to the new VQ35DE make it much stronger than my VQ35 (the same engine as the 6th and 6.5 gen) due to the expanded VVT and more aggressive cams, and of course it's offered with a manual transmission.

The maxima, on the other hand, spoils you with options that aren't offered in the altima. I drove a base V6 altima and a loaded '07 maxima and for what I want in a car, I would take the altima because I don't really care for options. The frame on the new maxima feels much like mine does, which is a limp noodle and it has a substantial amount of body roll. Acceleration is still very nice but what do you expect? It's a VQ35

In the real world, you can get both these cars with similar options for the same price, because I noticed the maximas are more heavily offered with rebates, etc. This makes it completely up to what the driver wants in a car. If you want plush seats and power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, etc. go for the maxima. If you want to drive the car like you stole it everywhere, get the altima because it handles MUCH better.

For those that say that you cant compare a new maxima to a new altima, it's not right. The next gen maxima will have the same function as the current one does, and will edge out on the altima in interior room/options but not in pure driving experience. The margin between them will grow, but for the next two years this is what we have so it's a perfectly valid comparison. The maxima has moved on to fulfill a TRUE flagship car for nissan while the altima took over the roll as a sport sedan. Get over it. Just because it's an 'altima' doesn't mean it isn't a good car, because pretty much everything in that car is better than my car....

Anyway now I feel like I'm just preaching to the choir but I thought I would give some input. Neither car is better than the other; it all depends on what a particular person wants in a car.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by briancopeland
HP as measured by the car manufacturers has been a funny thing lately. It doesn't mean a thing to me that they claim 3.5 more HP. Who really knows what the deal is, especially at the wheels. Right? Besides pick just about any mod on here to get THAT much added to your Maxima. Heck, the Nismo license plate is claimed to be good for 4 +HP. I've read this somewhere. Oh yes, it was me.
They're all on the same standard now so there shouldn't be any confusion. 15hp extra on the Altima along with 100-200 lbs less baggage should make for a slightly noticeable difference when the throttle is pegged with a CVT. That extra bit of power would mean about zilch on a conventional geared tranny which would only have the engine up in that range for such a small amount of time. That said, I'm surprised Honda hasn't come out with a high-power handling CVT tranny, because their engines need it more than anyone's.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 PM

i wonder if 08 altima coupe is better
Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM

maximaa - If you prefer two door cars, the '08 Altima coupe will be better than the '08 Altima four door. If you prefer four door cars, the '08 Altima four door will be better than the '08 Altima coupe.

Neither will be better than the 7th gen Maxima that will be arriving just over a year from now.

But then comparing the Altima with a 7th gen Maxima would be comparing apples to oranges. The Altima 3.5 is now Nissan's 4DSC, filling the role handled so wonderfully well by the Maxima for a quarter of a century, while the 7th gen Maxima will be a large, luxurious, performance flagship sedan with a sporting edge. I can hardly wait!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 AM

lol altima is whakkkk , i was going to get it before i got my max , unless its an ser ofcourse =]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 AM

I am also not options oriented. My Max is bare bone. So given the choice today I might choose another car. At the time of my purchase, the 6th gen was the only 3.5L engine. Now there are more selections to choose from with similar HP. I just wanted decent power and handling for the best buck. Instead of a fully loaded Max, I would've gone with G35 or ES350.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Albert
I am also not options oriented. My Max is bare bone. So given the choice today I might choose another car. At the time of my purchase, the 6th gen was the only 3.5L engine. Now there are more selections to choose from with similar HP. I just wanted decent power and handling for the best buck. Instead of a fully loaded Max, I would've gone with G35 or ES350.

OK they look better than max , but g35 is probably one of the most uncomfortable cars ive been too , maxima feels like a benz to me after g35 , id get g35 coupe over it probably but never a 4 door , i have a 6 speed and that shyt is just as fast as 06 g35 coupe 6 speed if someone doesnt agree when my car will be fixed ill run any g35 , and es350 is so girlie
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Agreed - tried to buy one but could never get comfortable in the seat - designed for very small people- very narrow.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 AM

OMFG..... thats sooooo funny, I sat in one the other day and I was like WTF? did I get fatter???? I guess I've grown use to the Maxima seats...
Old 02-27-2007, 10:33 AM

I just don't really care for the look of the new altima inside and out. I really liked the exterior of the previous altima, but the interior was another story. The Maxima is a sexy looking vehicle. I'm 6'4 and my kids and I fit comfy in the Maxima. You just can't go wrong with the Maxima, it's got it all form looks to power!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
I've driven the '05 maxima, '07 maxima, and '07 altima and I'd like to put my .02 in on the subject:

These cars, although very similar in their stats, function completely differently than each other. The altima is MUCH more of a driver's car. Plain and simple. It handles very nicely for a FWD car, has an EXCELLENT frame, good suspension firmness (firm, but not to the point where it's too much..), the changes to the new VQ35DE make it much stronger than my VQ35 (the same engine as the 6th and 6.5 gen) due to the expanded VVT and more aggressive cams, and of course it's offered with a manual transmission.

The maxima, on the other hand, spoils you with options that aren't offered in the altima. I drove a base V6 altima and a loaded '07 maxima and for what I want in a car, I would take the altima because I don't really care for options. The frame on the new maxima feels much like mine does, which is a limp noodle and it has a substantial amount of body roll. Acceleration is still very nice but what do you expect? It's a VQ35

In the real world, you can get both these cars with similar options for the same price, because I noticed the maximas are more heavily offered with rebates, etc. This makes it completely up to what the driver wants in a car. If you want plush seats and power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, etc. go for the maxima. If you want to drive the car like you stole it everywhere, get the altima because it handles MUCH better.

For those that say that you cant compare a new maxima to a new altima, it's not right. The next gen maxima will have the same function as the current one does, and will edge out on the altima in interior room/options but not in pure driving experience. The margin between them will grow, but for the next two years this is what we have so it's a perfectly valid comparison. The maxima has moved on to fulfill a TRUE flagship car for nissan while the altima took over the roll as a sport sedan. Get over it. Just because it's an 'altima' doesn't mean it isn't a good car, because pretty much everything in that car is better than my car....

Anyway now I feel like I'm just preaching to the choir but I thought I would give some input. Neither car is better than the other; it all depends on what a particular person wants in a car.
LOL, Spoken like a true Altima owner!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
LOL, Spoken like a true Altima owner!!!
um what? I own a maxima. Unbiased opinions > *