6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Spoiler brakelight activiation

Old 02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Spoiler brakelight activiation

I just wired the LED brake light in my WRX spoiler and removed the stock 3rd brakelight. I don't believe this topic has been discussed at all so I wanted to write up details of the install.

Tools needed:
Ratchet w/ extension
10 mm deep socket 3/8" drive
7/8" hole saw
drill
wire cutters/strippers (No, not that kind of stripper!!!)

Materials:
roll of red wire
roll of black wire
connectors (the kind that the wire goes in one side and the existing wire goes in the other side and you snap it which connects the wires)
black silicone seal
electrical tape
flexible conduit
coat hanger
grease

1. I already had my spoiler installed years ago, so first step was to remove the spoiler. I used a hole saw to cut access holes for my spoiler bolts.
2. Pop out the 3rd brake light by reaches under the back glass and pulling the brake light up. Also, remove the sound proof material under the rear deck.
3. Unhook the wire from the brake light.
4. Take your connector and using about 10 feet of wire connect the black wire to the black wire, and the red wire to the other colored wire that I forgot the color. Its tight quarters so be patient.
5. String the red and black wires through an existing hole and route it under the rear deck. Every foot or so, wrap the wires with electrical tape
6. Now the tricky part. On the left side of the open trunk is a rubber conduit that seals the body of the car and the trunk, but contains wiring for electrical items in the trunk lid such as the remote trunk release. You are going to string the wires through there so the wires are not visible.
I know you are now asking "How Deus? The wires are flexible and the rubber conduit is a tight fit"
Not to worry. Get a coat hanger and straighten about two feet of it. Make a tiny loop at the very end. Then lube the coat hanger with lithium grease. Pop off both ended of the rubber conduit and pop off the plastic holder so the rubber conduit and be almost straight. Work the coat hanger from the TRUNK side to the CHASSIS side until the tiny loop of coat hanger appears. Then, tie both wires to the loop and pull out the coat hanger. Voila!!! The wires passed through the conduit. Untie the wires and pull them through the rest of the way.
7. Cut some of your purchased conduit and wrap the wires under the deck. Install the under-deck sound deadening panel.
8. Now, remove the sound deadening panel on the trunk. I think there are about 12 or so holders. U may need a small phillips screwdriver to rotate the button which raises it slightly, and then pop out the holder.
9. Put the coat hanger in hole in the trunk near the top of the raised trunk lid and string it through to near where the spoiler brake light wiring is. Mine happened to be on the other side of the trunk, so it took a bit of work.
10. I dont know how it is for each type of spoiler, so Ill describe how I did the install for my spoiler. There was a hole in my spoiler for the wire to go through. I lined up where the hole was with respect to my trunk, marked the spot, and drilled a small hole in my trunk.
11. String the red/black wires through the hole until it pops out through the top of the trunk surface. I laid my spoiler upside down and using the wire connectors, connected the wires to the spoiler wires. I actually inserted the wires in the spoiler connector first to test the brake light. This ensures that your wiring works BEFORE you connect the wires.
12. Remember to tape the wires every foot with electrical tape.
13. Tuck the wires in the spoiler and put silicone seal around the hole u drilled plus the spoiler holes. Install the spoiler on the trunk.
14. When you put the nuts on the spoiler bolts, I coated them with silicone to seal the bolt holes from water.
15. Install the trunk liner.
16. Test the brake light. Much better than the original light!!! For those with tinted windows, your 3rd brake light was much dimmer than this. Mine is an LED brake light so it really lights up nicely!!!

If you want pics, let me know!!!

By the way, I read somewhere on here that the 2007 Maxima has a 3rd brake light cover on the rear deck. That would be necessary to cover the holes left by the brake light removal. I will look into that next week.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM
*moderator*

I'm picking up a cover this week!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM

How much and whats the part number, J?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
How much and whats the part number, J?
Here you go ............ http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=508350

Cover info at bottom of thread.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM

dues, what are the colors for + / - on the 3rd brake light harness? i am assuming that you just tee'd off of it.

pix too would help!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 AM

One of the colors on the 3rd brake light harness is black, and the other color I forgot. Ill look and get back to you. Also, Ill try to get some pics as well. The connectors I use tap into the existing wires and the they clamp on to the new wires.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:03 PM

figured as much. that is what came with my install kit for the g35 spoiler. thanks again.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Great work Deus, when you get a chance get a picture up...
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 AM

third brake light cover linky:

http://www.yournissanparts.com/catal...22293&detail=1
Old 03-17-2007, 02:35 AM

on the other hand, maybe we shouldn't order from them.

here's my email to them after receiving my third brake light cover.

I ordered part 999J1-MTP## for my Maxima from your website. I received part 999J1-UN00GS3, which is a part for an Altima. The part listed for the Altima on your website says a different price than the invoice I received, so, I have two questions:

1. How do I go about getting the correct part?

2. Did you just charge me $22.99 for a part that was $17.99 and not tell me?
I'll post more when they reply.

--by the way, this came from Nissan of Turnersville in NJ.