6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

5AT having problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM

5AT having problems?

Ok At first I thought the MMi and new mounts would stop the clunking sound...

It did , But now im having a problem with the tranny. It used to downshift from 2nd to 1st and it would kinda of jerk back. Now this moring the tranny is shifting weird from 2nd -3rd... like theres no pressure.

I already did a tranny flush , so does anyone else have this probelm? this feels like the Drop Resistor mod on the previous Maxima ( it felt the same )

In the meantime when its downshifting I just shift it to N so it doesn jerk the tranny back so hard.

I already had the TCU reprogram at Nissan . You guys think I should disconnect the battery ? I really dont have the freaking time for this.. I just sold all my cars and im down to this as my daily driver.

I was at Nissan about a month ago and my buddy said there was a owner that had his Max on the lift . It had 80k and the tranny went already.

Im already shock of the price of the tranny cost. And I doubt Nissan will cover any of that.

So my question is does anyone else have the same problem?
Also I notice this happen only after I replace the 18s with 20s ... Could it be the size of the wheels ??

Does this happen in the 4AT ? I have never been in a 4AT or seen one around, So im not sure if it the same thing or not.

I hope I really dont have to replace the tranny, if so I might debate about Vince23ho's 6spd tranny and might do the swap.( I know the swap aint going to be easy )
Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 PM

I have the same exact problem as you. Even the part about going from 18's to 20's...although I went 17's to 20 .I get a jerk / pause when its' going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear and / or 2nd gear to 1st gear. I'm also getting a bigger jerk / thud when it's going from 2nd to 3rd gear. The thud seems to happen more often around a yielding turn, meaning when I'm trying to re-accelerate around the turn after breaking, the thud will occur..

The car is actually going back to the dealer tomorow. And no this isn't the first time...Here's my report of what they've done so far..

1st time - Couldn't find any problem
2nd time - Reset the codes / ecu
3rd time - Replaced the transmission and motor mounts
4th - Replaced another motor mount
5th time - Tomorrow...

Note: Before any of that was done, I got my transmission and engine flushed...still the problem was there...

I'm tired of taking my car back to the dealer every other week, luckily my car was under warranty, but at the same time, I've spent alot of money in deductibles for them fixing what they think will solve the problem.

I'll be prepared when I go tomorrow and will have all my prior paperwork with the total amount I spent through out this whole process to show them. I'm not paying a single dime for this problem and will try to make sure that everything that is done to the car is on them. There is no reason why certified mechanics shouldn't be able to find the problem after 5 f*****g times.

I love my maxima to death, and on top of that, I'm a daily driver with 75K+ on my car. But to have this problem, AFTER I had to deal w/ the shocks & struts bull****, it's alot...After / hopefully when this problem gets fixed, I honestly think I'll be trading it in...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by vir420
I have the same exact problem as you. Even the part about going from 18's to 20's...although I went 17's to 20 .I get a jerk / pause when its' going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear and / or 2nd gear to 1st gear. I'm also getting a bigger jerk / thud when it's going from 2nd to 3rd gear. The thud seems to happen more often around a yielding turn, meaning when I'm trying to re-accelerate around the turn after breaking, the thud will occur..

The car is actually going back to the dealer tomorow. And no this isn't the first time...Here's my report of what they've done so far..

1st time - Couldn't find any problem
2nd time - Reset the codes / ecu
3rd time - Replaced the transmission and motor mounts
4th - Replaced another motor mount
5th time - Tomorrow...

Note: Before any of that was done, I got my transmission and engine flushed...still the problem was there...

I'm tired of taking my car back to the dealer every other week, luckily my car was under warranty, but at the same time, I've spent alot of money in deductibles for them fixing what they think will solve the problem.

I'll be prepared when I go tomorrow and will have all my prior paperwork with the total amount I spent through out this whole process to show them. I'm not paying a single dime for this problem and will try to make sure that everything that is done to the car is on them. There is no reason why certified mechanics shouldn't be able to find the problem after 5 f*****g times.

I love my maxima to death, and on top of that, I'm a daily driver with 75K+ on my car. But to have this problem, AFTER I had to deal w/ the shocks & struts bull****, it's alot...After / hopefully when this problem gets fixed, I honestly think I'll be trading it in...

Seem like the turning could be the Motor mounts, look into getting those MMI's motor mount inserts from Taz... These makes alot of differnce.
The mounts have some play in them. So when your making corner or alceration hard. the tranny and engine has too much movement which would make that clunk or thud sound. This happen to me and the MMIs resolve the problem.

How many miles do you have btw ?

I just reach 60k , ( like literarly I hit that last night )
So this moring incident was ackward , I post this thread around 12ish ? or whatever time it was, I went back out to run errans and the 2nd -3rd shift is better , BUT when it downshifts once in a while it will jerk back.

I suspect it could be the rims. My buddy has a Magunm with 22s on it , and hes been having the same problem.
I would put my 18s back on to see if that resolves it but the problem is I had the 300zx Brakes on my car which doesnt allow me to fit the OEM rim on.

This could be a problem cause I cant think of anything else.
The Maxima that was at the Nissan dealership a week ago is suppose to be bringing his back soon to see what can be done.

I dont think you can really blame any of the Nissan Mechanics. Its acutally Nissan fault for hiding all the problems under a rug. My mechanic friend been working there for years. He knowledgeable about his older Nissans, He got a S14 with a RB swap, And I also was a Nissan Mechanic in 1999 - 2000.

Sometimes its not their fault cause Nissan doesnt make aware to all their mechanics and update their bulletin.

Well let me know what they are going to do with yours.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM

bumpity bump for updates
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I have a 5AT that recently had it's 30K mile tranny service and I also have the racingline MMI's, zero problem, however I am interested in knowing what the problem may be. Good luck and keep us updated...
Old 04-04-2007, 05:43 AM

NiZMo1o1,

My car (05 SL with 5 speed auto) has been acting weird but I was told it's compression. I'm wondering if we are having the same issues.

In Auto (Not manual shifting) going 19 miles per hour through my neighborhood, my car kind of jerks, like it isn't sure if it should be in 1st or 2nd. It does it again at 39 when coasting through town, coming up to a stop sign.

Is this what you are referring to? I have taken it to Nissan and they said that I'm not even throwing codes and the tranny light isn't on. There's nothing to diagnose. I guess I should be a bit more persistent.

Swee
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
NiZMo1o1,

My car (05 SL with 5 speed auto) has been acting weird but I was told it's compression. I'm wondering if we are having the same issues.

In Auto (Not manual shifting) going 19 miles per hour through my neighborhood, my car kind of jerks, like it isn't sure if it should be in 1st or 2nd. It does it again at 39 when coasting through town, coming up to a stop sign.

Is this what you are referring to? I have taken it to Nissan and they said that I'm not even throwing codes and the tranny light isn't on. There's nothing to diagnose. I guess I should be a bit more persistent.

Swee

This is excatly whats going on with mines, no codes being thrown but the tranny likes to jerk back esp when comming to a stop area (20mph-) the transition from 2nd to 1st feels like the tranny jerk the whole car back.( or feels like someone just rear ended me )

But it doesnt happen the first 10-20 mins of driving. It seems like it does it when its really warmed up. I was thinking maybe I need a tranny cooler BUT it the fluid is hot , it shouldnt cause any effect in the gears shifting.

Its been bothering me because at first I had that infamous *THUD* the MMIs and new motor mounts helped elimated that.

Now im getting this downshifting jerk back... And as of lately , once in a blue moon I hit around 30-40 and the tranny seems like it just slips into the next gear. I just recently hit 60k on mines.

My mechanic at Nissan said the customer that had the 80k tranny is already slipping...He suppose to come back sometime this week or next week to resolve his issues.
I belive my mechanic is location a tranny for him,OR he might take the tranny apart and check inside the tranny. Either way He should have another tranny to play with. Hopefully some more 5AT chime in. I know alot of owners havent even hit pass 30 -40k yet.

It seems like Nissan knows this and they are sweeping it under the carpet, The mechanics at Nissan are stomp when I tell them the problems Ive been having with my Maxima. Sure enough after I brought it in the first time to my buddy about the motor mounts being weak and having the MMIs , a few more Maximas came in Under Warranty for the same problem.

Now I have to hold off taking my car to another shop to get the design of the turbo kit and also hold off installing the cams for now until I can resolve this issue. It would be useless if I spent the money on doing the turbo setup and then having the tranny gone and having a turbo car with no tranny.

Until then me and my mechanic friend at Nissan are trying to do some more research and look into resolving this issue first.
Too bad im out of Warranty already,

My other option is to look into Vince23ho parts , 6spd tranny swap (which I know isnt going to be a day job)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Wow,

That's kind of scary. I have asked about this and have been told on more than one occassion that it is just compression. Now you're scaring me.

I did purchase an extended warranty, but who wants to deal with that?

My current miles are 37,xxx.

What was the final symptom that tipped Nissan off that you need a new tranny? Did it just slip? I have fussed over that just once. They can't duplicate the problem. It happened while getting on the interstate. I thought it was me and that I was missunderstanding what was going on. I just dismissed it, 'until it does it again'.

Apparently I'll need to take it back to the actual dealership I bought it from.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Wow,

That's kind of scary. I have asked about this and have been told on more than one occassion that it is just compression. Now you're scaring me.

I did purchase an extended warranty, but who wants to deal with that?

My current miles are 37,xxx.

What was the final symptom that tipped Nissan off that you need a new tranny? Did it just slip? I have fussed over that just once. They can't duplicate the problem. It happened while getting on the interstate. I thought it was me and that I was missunderstanding what was going on. I just dismissed it, 'until it does it again'.

Apparently I'll need to take it back to the actual dealership I bought it from.
Well the guy that needs his replace is a customer that I never met . He spoke to my mechanic friend and he said it slipping.
I will see what happens this week or next week.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine jerks during traffic. However, it it only occurs once everytime I am in traffic. Because of that, I think it senses that I'm in traffic so it avoids shifting up too soon. Other than that it shifts fine in normal situations.
The only thing I noticed is that when I got the car from the dealer, the transmission fluid was low. I think some other members here had also mentioned that too. I have 28k miles.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 AM

i have just over 17xxx and ive been having that problem for a bit also. when im coming to a stop and then continue it makes a jerk movement. like i said it hasnt happen just once or twice....glad im not the only one here with that problem...more info on this would be helpful
Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Interesting how not many 04's are having this problem...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM

I have an 04' 5spd auto and don't really experience this problem either. Only times that I have was when I was accelerating/decelerating and then I did the opposite and the computer got a little confused and didn't know which gear to put it in. I think it's mainly just knowing how sensitive your throttle is and at what RPM your car shifts or downshifts...that's just my theory

dan
Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I piss on Civics.

I noticed this the week I bought my car but I wrote it off as new parts working together and thought nothing of it. Now that you mention all this, I now realize that this is my exact problem with the vehicle. Well that and all the harsh stares from cops for the new exhaust system ;D! pics/vids on the way! damn rain is delaying my video taking extravaganza!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM

I think it's just the way some people drive. Computers are very finicky and if you have it at a certain speed and are on the throttle right at the shift point then the computer will be indecisive. Every car does it. Also the way you drive changes the way it shifts. If you normally hit it hard and then are all of a sudden light then it might shift harder than normal till it recalcs.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I think it's just the way some people drive. Computers are very finicky and if you have it at a certain speed and are on the throttle right at the shift point then the computer will be indecisive. Every car does it. Also the way you drive changes the way it shifts. If you normally hit it hard and then are all of a sudden light then it might shift harder than normal till it recalcs.

^^ I can say for all but YES I do sometimes is hard on the car and then sometimes I cruise.

I talk to my mechanic today and he said we should check the line pressure. Ive done everything I can thats post on the TSB.

Im just hoping that maybe it is the line pressure thats doing the jerk from 2nd-1st gear... Im tired of going back to N when im comming to a stop.
Altho it doesnt do this all the time tho. If it is the TCU then im going to pull the battery of tonight and leave it over night.

I already reprog the ecu and tcu from Nissan.
Fluid Checks fine.
Motor mounts are new with MMIs
I know its not the Shift Shock TSB either..
Could be like my buddy said and to check the line pressure.

Well I guess everyone finally realizging this now that I mention it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM

Update:

I went to Nissan on Tuesday and went out on a drive with the mechanic AGAIN. I got the problem to happen when accelerating and while breaking. He tried to feed me with bull**** and started telling me that it's a natural characteristic of the car and so on, and it's just the way that it's being driven that's making it happen...

So HE suggested that we take another 04 maxima out and test drive that to see if the problem occurs...So we go back to the dealership, and they didn't have any 04's in the lot SO they told me to come back in two hours after they were done installing brakes / rotors on a customers maxima. And after that was done, we'd take the customers car out on a drive.

So I go back 2 hours later...and as me and the mechanic start walking towards the customers car, he tells me how he took it out for a spin and got the problem to happen ONCE. So he told me to drive this car the same way I drove mine earlier..So I did as he said, and the problem never happend, so on our way back to the dealer, he tells me how we're going to have to get a 5 SPD to test out....I'm saying to myself WTF was the point of this then??????

We go back to the dealership, and the tech wants to get in my car again and go for a spin...I was confused of that because we had already went out earlier and I showed him the problem, but he suggested that I show him the problem again.

We get in my car...and the minute we start driving, I noticed that it's driving different (reflashed ecu while we were gone?). So I'm on the road for a good 5 minutes looking like a dumbass trying to get the problem to happen, but couldn't do it...I told him to take me in a neighborhood with stop signs and so on, so he did...and after a couple of stop and go's at stop signs, I got the problem to happen, and once the jerk happend...it kept happening...and on top of that...even the jerk I get when braking happend

We go back to the dealership, the whole way back...he had no clue what to say...but when we got back to the dealership, they fuc*ing told me to come back NEXT tuesday and they'll have a 5 SPD by then for me to test out..

I'm sorry for the long read, but I wanted to explain this fully, cause whoever really has this problem will def wanted to read all this, and for those concerned you might have this or might get it, read it also...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:19 PM

I notice my A5 shifts funky every once in a while. I have owned 3 Nissan Maxima's- a '89 A4 wagon, '98 A4 and this 04 A5. The 89 had 144k on it when I got it and it always shifted hard from 1st-2nd. Sold it at 188k and it still shifted the same. As far as I know it's still running. The 98 would shift hard once in a while. The 04 seems to get mixed up sometimes. I just figure it's a brand characteristic-I hope....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by vir420
Update:

I went to Nissan on Tuesday and went out on a drive with the mechanic AGAIN. I got the problem to happen when accelerating and while breaking. He tried to feed me with bull**** and started telling me that it's a natural characteristic of the car and so on, and it's just the way that it's being driven that's making it happen...

So HE suggested that we take another 04 maxima out and test drive that to see if the problem occurs...So we go back to the dealership, and they didn't have any 04's in the lot SO they told me to come back in two hours after they were done installing brakes / rotors on a customers maxima. And after that was done, we'd take the customers car out on a drive.

So I go back 2 hours later...and as me and the mechanic start walking towards the customers car, he tells me how he took it out for a spin and got the problem to happen ONCE. So he told me to drive this car the same way I drove mine earlier..So I did as he said, and the problem never happend, so on our way back to the dealer, he tells me how we're going to have to get a 5 SPD to test out....I'm saying to myself WTF was the point of this then??????

We go back to the dealership, and the tech wants to get in my car again and go for a spin...I was confused of that because we had already went out earlier and I showed him the problem, but he suggested that I show him the problem again.

We get in my car...and the minute we start driving, I noticed that it's driving different (reflashed ecu while we were gone?). So I'm on the road for a good 5 minutes looking like a dumbass trying to get the problem to happen, but couldn't do it...I told him to take me in a neighborhood with stop signs and so on, so he did...and after a couple of stop and go's at stop signs, I got the problem to happen, and once the jerk happend...it kept happening...and on top of that...even the jerk I get when braking happend

We go back to the dealership, the whole way back...he had no clue what to say...but when we got back to the dealership, they fuc*ing told me to come back NEXT tuesday and they'll have a 5 SPD by then for me to test out..

I'm sorry for the long read, but I wanted to explain this fully, cause whoever really has this problem will def wanted to read all this, and for those concerned you might have this or might get it, read it also...
I went today and my buddy said were going to check with the Line pressure this weekend. You have the excat same problem. It doesnt happen all the time but once your comming to a stop it JERKS and then it stays JERK..

But I only notice if I dont go beyond city driving 40-45 miles and I come to a stop , the jerk isnt as hard... When I get on it and pass 50 mph and up and come to next stop light , it jerks really hard.
Im thinking , maybe it needs to be recliabarate? or maybe a speed sensor?

Well in the meantime im going to try and find out about this issue.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Albert
Mine jerks during traffic. However, it it only occurs once everytime I am in traffic. Because of that, I think it senses that I'm in traffic so it avoids shifting up too soon. Other than that it shifts fine in normal situations.
The only thing I noticed is that when I got the car from the dealer, the transmission fluid was low. I think some other members here had also mentioned that too. I have 28k miles.
Yep, when I got the car new from the dealer the fluid was low also... kind of interesting.