6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Problems with Axle after lowering the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Problems with Axle after lowering the car

This might be a coincidence but both mine (04 SE) and my brother's (05 SE) passenger side axle failed after lowering the cars. His failed after about 1000 miles after lowering and mine failed after about 10K miles. Its just weird that both have failed on the same side and I am not sure if this is related to the fact that the car is lowered or whether its the great quality roads in NY that caused its failure. I was just wondering if this is common problem, thats all. Please chime in if your axle failed, which side, and whether your car is lowered. Lets see if we can establish some sort of a patern here.

BTW. Dealer replaced both under warranty.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 PM

What were the symptoms experienced? Must know, a friend of mine is having some issues and not sure what it is.

Swee
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

clicking noise when starting, accellerating and stopping. To test you just need to put in in DRIVE, hold the break and slowly step on the gas.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:03 PM

None of them were six speeds?

My nephew has a 6 speed that is making a slight clicking noise when the suspension is under a load.

We are out there now, pulling wheels off and all trying to find this.

When you say 'clicking', you aren't meaning CV joint obnoxious clicking, do you mean a slight -tick tick tick tick- kind of like baseball cards in spokes on a bike? Only fainter than that?

It appears to be clicking when under a load, whether it is reverse or first. Acceleration or braking?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 PM

I also noticed that ALL that have had this, are SE's. My neighbor has had his right hub replaced at 45k miles. He IS NOT lowered. I'm starting to wonder if lowering has anything to do with it.

I lowered mine at about 7-8,000 miles ago. No clicking so far, and I am an SL!

I look forward to your two cents. Please help.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Both my axles failed after I lowered my car. Had the same clicking and popping noise.

I had to reinstall the OEM springs and had them replaced under warranty.

After, lowered it againg and no problems so far.

Im pretty sure it happen because of the lowering.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Wow, ok, I'll let my nephew know. I hope I don't encounter this. Is it an issue of weak axles? What causes this?

You had clicking and popping? Kind of loud? Not faint?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:34 PM
aka The Doom Ship

My clicking and popping turned out to be just the wheel bearing. Dealer replaced the wheel bearing and the noise went away.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Newbie just Registered

No problem yet, about 15k miles lowered, 24k miles on the car.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM

My neighbor had his wheel bearing replaced also. That's what I thought he said anyway!

We'll give it a shot....It is what he (my nephew) suspected anyway!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:28 PM

I have an 04 SE with stock wheels (18's) which is NOT lowered, I just bought it. However, I do have a slight clicking noise when I press the brakes, especially noticeable when going slower. Carfax said it came from NJ state, are the roads up there that bad?

I thought it was just the brakes that need replacement (I'm thinking of getting new Brembo rotors), but hopefully the axle is not the issue. If it's the bearings, that may be a little more understandable.

Now a warranty question: since I have 45k miles, would the warranty cover the bearings or the axles? Please let me know, thank you all
Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 PM

I know my nephew was wondering/thinking that it should as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
None of them were six speeds?

My nephew has a 6 speed that is making a slight clicking noise when the suspension is under a load.

We are out there now, pulling wheels off and all trying to find this.

When you say 'clicking', you aren't meaning CV joint obnoxious clicking, do you mean a slight -tick tick tick tick- kind of like baseball cards in spokes on a bike? Only fainter than that?

It appears to be clicking when under a load, whether it is reverse or first. Acceleration or braking?
I seriously heard that and visualized it when I read that!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM

For those that are looking to replace-why not just buy "beefed up" axles? I know we don't put down 400whp to need that kind of strength, but imo, the stronger the better!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Both are 5 AT cars and yes its a tick, tick tick tick whenever you start moving it regardless whether you are going forward or back. When you break you hear click click and then when you re-accelerate you hear click click click click. No clicking when just rolling the car.

I went to the delaer and asked my buddy to hop in so that I can show him. He said no need. He got it put in in D, holding it on a break he just lightly stepped on the gas and it went click, click click click click.

Couple days later I dropped it of and had the axle replaced along with an A/C hose that was busted. (seems like another common problem appearing recently on the board)
Old 05-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've got the ticking sound under initial load and deceleration.. forward or backwards... I can only hear it on the passenger side... I pulled the wheel and brakes/rotor off, and it sounds a lot like it's the wheel bearings (right where the hub is) ... whether it's bearings or axles, would either be covered under the powertrain warranty? I would think at LEAST the axles would be.. and the wheel bearings are too easy and cheap to replace, so I'm not so worried if that's the problem.. I need to take it in anyway and hopefully get the dead clutch pedal problem fixed too.. I'll post my results if/when I get them.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
aka The Doom Ship

This is where a "good" dealership comes in. The second dealership I went to replaced the passenger side wheel bearing for free under warranty.

Some may blame the fact that you are lowered. Others may mis-diagnose the problem. These are bad dealerships.

Originally Posted by Ritz
I've got the ticking sound under initial load and deceleration.. forward or backwards... I can only hear it on the passenger side... I pulled the wheel and brakes/rotor off, and it sounds a lot like it's the wheel bearings (right where the hub is) ... whether it's bearings or axles, would either be covered under the powertrain warranty? I would think at LEAST the axles would be.. and the wheel bearings are too easy and cheap to replace, so I'm not so worried if that's the problem.. I need to take it in anyway and hopefully get the dead clutch pedal problem fixed too.. I'll post my results if/when I get them.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I vote NYC streets, they totally scuk, that's why rim repair, tire repair, alignment, shock, brakes, struts and body shops have such great business... I swear on their off time those ******* are digging holes in the streets...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:28 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by chernmax
I I swear on their off time those ******* are digging holes in the streets...
I am LOLing like a nut here (my co-workers are like)

Yeah I've heard of glass shops breaking windows just blocks away to get business but peeps digging holes.....just hilarious.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I vote NYC streets, they totally scuk, that's why rim repair, tire repair, alignment, shock, brakes, struts and body shops have such great business... I swear on their off time those ******* are digging holes in the streets...
This is one time, I don't think Chern is too far off. Just a little.

Our first 6 weeks here, I went through about 8 nails in the road. We didn't know anyone, so I know it wasn't vindictive. Plus we drove a beat up 88 accord. Nobody wants to waste nails on a car like that.

I swore, that as we slept, tire companies were dumping boxes of nails on the main drags....I'm still convinced.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:19 PM

anyone know how far the powertrain warranty goes? or is the bumper to bumper required to cover axles and wheel bearings? I'm at 41k miles now... my car's going in to the dealer in 8 hours.. I'm already trying to come up with some rebuttals for their "it'll cost you $800 to repair" crap.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:10 AM

Checking with a couple of dealerships here. I'll call you.

Edited;
Called you, went to voicemail.....CHECK MESSAGES OR ANSWER THE PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 PM

got my car back with nothing done to it at all.. kinda disappointing.. the shop manager took 2 seconds to listen and told me right away it was a cv joint needing grease... I'm not sure I agree.. I think it's my wheel bearing, and I'll probably end up checking both sometime this week.

on a side note, add another to the list of "I brought my 6 speed in because of a loss of pressure in the clutch pedal and the dealer couldn't reproduce it" people... that's frustrating.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ritz
got my car back with nothing done to it at all.. kinda disappointing.. the shop manager took 2 seconds to listen and told me right away it was a cv joint needing grease... I'm not sure I agree.. I think it's my wheel bearing, and I'll probably end up checking both sometime this week.

on a side note, add another to the list of "I brought my 6 speed in because of a loss of pressure in the clutch pedal and the dealer couldn't reproduce it" people... that's frustrating.
Of many other bs problems too
Old 05-29-2007, 05:57 PM

It blows my mind how dealerships can say this. Do they not have the same power of research available to them as there is to us? Can they not invest more time and check TSB's or Recalls?

I think this site and 6thgenmaxima.org should be required reading before any Nissan rep gets to look over a Maxima. It should be under their list of tools available for trouble shooting. For crying out loud, we practically link their dealerships together with info of common problems and solutions.....
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Just wondering, I have over 45k miles, will the 60k warranty cover this or not?

I don't need to pay this out of my pocket...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm guessing it is varying depending on dealerships. I wish I could offer more.