6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shopping 6th gens - what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
SickSE

Can you guys be a little more specific describing the "plastic piece under the nose". I would really like to get rid of the shimmy in my car but am unsure of the piece you are mentioning.

Thanks, Alex

Old 07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

For some reason I can't start a new thread? Anyway, this is the '05 Maxima we just got my fiance. Can anyone tell me what kind of spoiler is on it? I don't think it is OEM from what I've seen. She loves it though so we're keeping it. Check out what it looked like when we brought it home haha! I clay barred the entire car. Waxed it and polished the aluminum. She detailed the inside but it was pretty clean compared to the outside. What do you guys think? What about the spoiler? How do I gain access to starting my own threads?

Old 07-07-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Sure,

The "dead pedal"- From what I understand, you lose feel in the pedal. It engages at different heights from the floor. It can make you feel foolish. In traffic it can make you look like you can't drive a standard. Some Nissan dealerships recognize the issue and resolve it quickly. Others, will fight you.

The Goodyear Eagle RSA Tires- Cracked sidewalls. The aren't very good in water either. Hydroplanning is a common thing in places where it rains a lot. The tires are horrible. If your SE has these tires, I would strongly recommend you get the Yokohamas YK520's, or the Advans.
The Shimmy- There is a wicked shimmy when cruising down the highway. A few folks here have discovered a way to eliminate that. When you look up under the front of the car, there is a black guard. Remove or trim it altogether and it solves the vibration transferred up through the steering wheel, creating the 'infamous shimmy'.

Chrome strips along the top of the roof- Fade horribly in a short period of time. They come in 2 or 3 piece strips, and the center ones fade substantially faster than the rest of the chromy pieces.
Bose- Are quite common for their cd players locking up or not playing cds at all. Unfortunately, it is something you'll have to discover on your own, because it can be an on again, off again thing. Maybe look into an extended warranty.
Bad Passenger Hub- Have known about 6 people having had them replaced. For some reason this appears to be an SE issue only. Not sure why, but every last one that has needed this replacement was an SE. Some would argue that this is an issue because of lowering. Of the 6 I know, 3 are lowered, three are not. I personally don't believe that changing the suspension is the cause of this. But I am not ASE certified, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Swee
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Well there is an 04 that private party is selling a couple hours away. I'm planning to take a look at it on Friday. It has a build date of 4/04 - am I safe to assume most of the issues will have been resolved?

From what I've read here I believe that during my inspection I should:

Do the shimmy test

Check the chrome strips

Play with the Bose radio, but I probably won't be able to identify any issues

Take it to a local stealership for a one over.

Anything else? This is a big and unexpected purchase for me.`